Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Jippa posted:

I watched the whole of the wire and didn't realise stringer bell was english in stark comparison to McNulty who kept slipping back into an english accent.

McNulty went to loving Eton.

At least 15 times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
loving hell

https://twitter.com/WordMercenary/status/1268162991708672001?s=20

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Jippa posted:

The wire is amazing. That was the very first of those types of american tv series I watched. Still one of the best.

I rewatch the wire every now and then because I've not seen anything come close. You can get great storytelling in TV in the last decade but there's a reason social work degrees use it as a jumping-off point for topics like systemic racism and effective substance abuse harm reduction measures. Simon may be a narcissistic twat who wrote himself as the ridiculous hero of an otherwise masterpiece, and have terrible opinions, but he really did his legwork.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1268124874108788742?s=20

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gort posted:

McNulty went to loving Eton.

At least 15 times

And that's terrible...

He also went to Trinity College Dublin, AKA Failson Oxbridge

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Whose side is she on — the phone mast industry or the local people?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Jose posted:

Yeah you get them very obviously starting the plot line before it's clear the plug gets pulled which is good because it was a stupid idea

the wire should've just been up to season 3 and then Prez Goes To School for this reason

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
:lol: Tom Watson worked on that campaign and also this one:
https://twitter.com/TheTrashiesUK/status/1268160341374091265

Poor Tom, hounded out of Labour by racism that he took part in and that came to light.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol he's getting slaughtered in the comments

https://twitter.com/LBC/status/1268160374165196800?s=20

whoever controls simon hedges, because its apparently not trevor bastard, appears to be losing the ability to keep it up

https://twitter.com/Orwell_Fan/status/1268182126920437760?s=20

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Spangly A posted:

I rewatch the wire every now and then because I've not seen anything come close. You can get great storytelling in TV in the last decade but there's a reason social work degrees use it as a jumping-off point for topics like systemic racism and effective substance abuse harm reduction measures. Simon may be a narcissistic twat who wrote himself as the ridiculous hero of an otherwise masterpiece, and have terrible opinions, but he really did his legwork.

As a longtime appreciator of Simon's shows who has never followed him on Twitter, can you explain? What show did he write himself into as a hero? Also, I thought he generally had good political opinions?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

MeinPanzer posted:

As a longtime appreciator of Simon's shows who has never followed him on Twitter, can you explain? What show did he write himself into as a hero? Also, I thought he generally had good political opinions?

He's a lib. And he's Gus in Season 5 of The Wire iirc

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
season 5 has the journalism storyline and I guess the main journalist could be a Simon analogue/wish fulfilment thing?

although either way it would be far from the biggest problem with season 5

efb

XMNN fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jun 3, 2020

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Nothingtoseehere posted:

In slightly better news, the Tories don't seem to be throwing HK citizens under a bus too hard.

Boris Op-ed in South China Morning Post

The main issue is how family will be handled- many parents will be eligable for B(NO) passports but their kids won't be, and if the government will let the whole family live/work/study here.

Well, I don't believe for a single second that Boris loving Johnson will make it any easier for anybody at all to come to the UK

Especially since he will have to prostrate himself before China very, very hard, as soon as his desired no-deal Brexit happens

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Miftan posted:

Does anybody know what I can do if I want to help with the protests right now? What are good places to give money to, etc.

Check this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3926059&pagenumber=1

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

XMNN posted:

season 5 has the journalism storyline and I guess the main journalist could be a Simon analogue/wish fulfilment thing?

Season 5 fails on many levels but the biggest actually is Gus wish fulfillment as every other season the characters are all complex, meanwhile in the news room there are three people who are literally perfect and three others who are evil with no redeeming features. There is literally no nuance it is a screed against "these assholes ruined my perfect world". Everything else beyond that from the poor plotting is also bad, but its that lack of being able to develop nuance at its base that makes the storylines fail.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jaete posted:

Well, I don't believe for a single second that Boris loving Johnson will make it any easier for anybody at all to come to the UK
He will, because workers = money, and we've just lost a few tens of thousands of people and are about to lose a lot more.

He'll turn up the racism dial while doing it, but getting a bunch of English speakers in from the Commonwealth was always the plan.

The Brexiteers just deluded themselves into thinking they'd be from the White Commonwealth, but it's a case of white country/anglophone country/workers and students eager to enter the UK, pick any two.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Lid posted:

Season 5 fails on many levels but the biggest actually is Gus wish fulfillment as every other season the characters are all complex, meanwhile in the news room there are three people who are literally perfect and three others who are evil with no redeeming features. There is literally no nuance it is a screed against "these assholes ruined my perfect world". Everything else beyond that from the poor plotting is also bad, but its that lack of being able to develop nuance at its base that makes the storylines fail.

fair

and on reflection mcnulty inventing a serial killer in order to manipulate the city into giving him the budget for his pet project isn't actually that outlandish in the context of American policing corruption

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Lid posted:

I think Simon's rebuttal to that is that Gus really has no clue what news the local people would be interested in Omar gets killed - which would be pretty loving big news in the area - and he shrugs it off as a 'drugs killing'.
He's a middle-class man writing news that's irrelevant for large swathes of the city his paper reports on.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
This protest in Hyde Park seems like a bad idea lads.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

kingturnip posted:

I think Simon's rebuttal to that is that Gus really has no clue what news the local people would be interested in Omar gets killed - which would be pretty loving big news in the area - and he shrugs it off as a 'drugs killing'.
He's a middle-class man writing news that's irrelevant for large swathes of the city his paper reports on.

that is retroactivity especially as that entire thing is that EVERYONE beyond the streets just shrugs it off, its also undercut that in the very very first episode is him calling out a property deal with Fat Face showing he knows the streets

the issue was that the journalists had literally no personality outside of being "good journalist" and "bad journalist"

no home life

no social life

no actual character or substance

Compare with how layered the schools and political realms were, and the schools only got one season filled with children!

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

kingturnip posted:

Isn't there a scene in that season where there's a building on fire that's visible from the newsroom, and none of the journalists know where the building is nor have they received word from the public or the fire department as to where it is?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

keep punching joe posted:

This protest in Hyde Park seems like a bad idea lads.

Seems like a good idea to me.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What are they protesting? Is it the covid weirdos or is it a BLM thing?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Well yes obviously the intent is noble, but on the other hand there's also a deadly virus with no treatment other than ventilate and hope for the best.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

XMNN posted:

efb

i saw a comment on twitter ages back that for journalists season 5 retroactively ruined the rest of the show because they saw how ridiculous and poo poo that plot line was so applying that to the rest of the show...

this is still the single most lib thing ever committed to screen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM8wv8QQ-u0

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

More or less lethal than systemic racism which there is currently a strong attempt to overthrow?

You don't always get to fight on your terms.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Jose posted:

i saw a comment on twitter ages back that for journalists season 5 retroactively ruined the rest of the show because they saw how ridiculous and poo poo that plot line was so applying that to the rest of the show...

this is still the single most lib thing ever committed to screen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM8wv8QQ-u0

What the actual gently caress is this

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

OwlFancier posted:

More or less lethal than systemic racism which there is currently a strong attempt to overthrow?

You don't always get to fight on your terms.

Killings by cops UK 2010-2020: 29
Deaths by Covid-19 UK Feb-June 65,000 (estimated)

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Guavanaut posted:

He will, because workers = money, and we've just lost a few tens of thousands of people and are about to lose a lot more.

He'll turn up the racism dial while doing it, but getting a bunch of English speakers in from the Commonwealth was always the plan.

The Brexiteers just deluded themselves into thinking they'd be from the White Commonwealth, but it's a case of white country/anglophone country/workers and students eager to enter the UK, pick any two.

You seem to be assuming though that Boris Johnson is some kind of rational actor who understands the existence of the real world.

I mean I agree, obviously something has to give, but... that doesn't mean that Johnson will ever acknowledge any specific rational idea, or do any particular thing that would normally be considered to make sense

It will be amusing to see which of the universally lovely choices he will end up going with, while flailing desperately. Well, would be much more amusing if I didn't live in this drat country

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

keep punching joe posted:

Killings by cops UK 2010-2020: 29
Deaths by Covid-19 UK Feb-June 65,000 (estimated)

This is a bad road to go down.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Lid posted:

What the actual gently caress is this

Pure uncut Aaron Sorkin.

I still think this is the most cringeworthy lib poo poo Sorkin has ever written though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTjMqda19wk

MeinPanzer fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 3, 2020

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I'm genuinely impressed by how it ascends to new and incredible levels of cringe throughout the entire clip.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm genuinely impressed by how it ascends to new and incredible levels of cringe throughout the entire clip.

I'm sure everyone on the plane got up and clapped just after the scene ended.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

obvs the cause is just but maaaaan that's a lot of people very close together

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
Any of the Chapo eps on Sorkin are worth listening to, especially the Newsroom ones. Just a couple of weeks ago they did an ep (419) analysing the Aaron Sorkin Masterclass that does an excellent job of dissecting his pathological inability to write anything but variations of his own lib great man witticism diarrhea.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Necrothatcher posted:

obvs the cause is just but maaaaan that's a lot of people very close together
I've struggled a lot the past few days to get my head around protest in the plague times.

It points, I think, to people who feel more strongly that the system is screwing them over, than that the virus will.

In all likelihood, it points to people who are currently being screwed over by the system to the point that this isn't significantly less safe from the virus than their daily lives.

I wouldn't go out and protest right now, for almost anything.

But I know for sure as poo poo, if I was being forced to go to work in Starbucks or an ASOS warehouse or a supermarket, I'd probably not care anywhere near as much, because what's another day of possible exposure?

It's true there, and it's true here: the people who are protesting are risking it because to them, it's less risky than not doing it.

I don't feel like it's my place to gainsay that, and I'd far rather criticise the system that forces them to protest under threat of plague, than criticise them protesting under threat of plague.

Or to put it another way, the damage that inevitably arises from this is not the fault of the protestors, it's the fault of the system that means they can't make their voices heard any other way, and that makes them not significantly safer at home, than out in Hyde Park.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

It's true that mass gatherings are a high risk situation but nothing good will come from completely abandoning the world outside your door and cowering from it. Yes, they should be distancing more, yes they should all be wearing mask and such. Doesn't change the fact that taking to the streets to show support for oppressed minorities is the right thing to do, especially since the UK is heavily intertwined with USAs history and policing. There's a BLM protest in Bristol on Sunday and I'll be going to it.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
yeah it's probably not ideal in terms of stopping the virus, but the government and a huge chunk of the population have already given up on that voluntarily and a bunch more are being forced back to unsafe work places on unsafe public transport (if they even left them in the first place)

it's much more justifiable to be there than down the beach at any rate

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

thespaceinvader posted:

Or to put it another way, the damage that inevitably arises from this is not the fault of the protestors, it's the fault of the system that means they can't make their voices heard any other way
Yeah but you know sure as poo poo that the press and government will try to blame them for the second wave, rather than their relaxing of the lockdown to nothing a few days ago.

If I was more conspiratorial I'd wonder if they censored the systemic racism in covid report to get more people angry and out on the streets to get herd immunity quicker while having a convenient target of "the bad blacks" to blame.

As is it's probably Hanlon's razor and the guarantee of a lazy racist press.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
There'll never be an acceptable time, yes COVID presents a risk, especially given the government handling of it, which at least lets you raise Cheltenham and the like, but if it wasn't that it would be something else to make it Not The Time.