Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Theres been a bunch of Trackmanias on Steam for years one is also free.
Wonder if this is somehow different than any of those.

https://store.steampowered.com/search/?sort_by=_ASC&term=trackmania

e: Ahhh, from further looking this is just one of those free 'starter' games but you'll have to pay for any of the Seasons that come out every few months.

Back in my day, we called it a demo.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You have to pay a subscription in order to play custom tracks that other people made.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

Len posted:

Despite the "leaks" saying Spiderman next month on PS+ is Cod WWII and Star Wars Battlefront 2

Going the complete opposite direction of the chills sim games of this month.

Is BF2 still a lootbox hellhole?

Lootboxes were removed from it a long time ago iirc - apparently it's quite good now?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Cojawfee posted:

You have to pay a subscription in order to play custom tracks that other people made.

Pay a subscription to access user-made content. I realize the Trackmania community may be uniquely cool with providing free content that the developer directly profits from, but that's a bit galling.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 30, 2020

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Trackmania's community has also gotten used to a hyper-open game they can customize beyond all reason. Good luck charging a subscription for that unless Trackmania 3 is just as open, and even then I'm expecting a lot of people to just stick to TM2 Stadium or Nations.

madlobster
Aug 12, 2003

Tamba posted:

Its always funny when those roms then contain references to the pirate group or :filez:-site that originally released them
For example
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-01-18-did-nintendo-download-a-mario-rom-and-sell-it-back-to-us

In Metal Slug 2 from Twitch Prime, the file mslug2.zip contains a file named "downloaded.from.WWW.ROMNATION.NET.html".

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Episode 1 of The Descendant is currently free on Steam. It's a great little Telltale-style adventure game told from two perspectives; One is keeping an underground ark of cryogenically-stored humans alive from the perspective of a caretaker, the other is investigating the ruins of that ark after humanity is well on its way to recovering...

One of the great little touches is some puzzles will give you an easy way to do something and a hard (or unobvious) way, with the easy way (or making mistakes) draining the Ark's limited power. Power that's keeping the cryo-preserved Descendants of the ark alive individually.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jun 1, 2020

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Has anyone played that game because that synopsis sounds sick as hell

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
It really does. One of the top reviews goes into some pretty WTF territory, claiming that the game unfairly portrays white people and is instead sneaking in its political agenda for trans people and quote unquote "colored" people so for that alone I'm really curious about it

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

It really does. One of the top reviews goes into some pretty WTF territory, claiming that the game unfairly portrays white people and is instead sneaking in its political agenda for trans people and quote unquote "colored" people so for that alone I'm really curious about it

Well now I'm installing it.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
I played through all episodes if The Descendant. It's extremely TellTale, like pretty much a carbon copy of their thing. It has a bunch of fairly tough timed puzzles that you can fail permanently, that might be a turnoff for some. The story was intriguing enough that it got me through the whole thing even though the gameplay was rather middling adventure game stuff.

I didn't notice anything explosively racial, plenty of rear end in a top hat characters though. I guess someone got miffed that you can deck one of the assholes while playing as a black guy.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Descendant starts out with your dude narrating that the war was centuries ago...but the dude next to him was a senator before the war :thunk:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Maybe he was cryogenically frozen.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

oh right that's kind of the whole thing, isn't it :downs:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
A fresh batch of games for Prime-havers over at Twitch:

observer_
Project Warlock
Forsaken Remastered
The Flame in the Flood
Steel Rats

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Not entirely fresh, considering they already had Observer once and The Flame in the Flood twice. When I get free* games I will never play**, I want stuff I didn't have yet, Jeff Bezos!

*With Amazon Prime.
**That's a lie considering I have actually played through TFitF's campaign twice. It becomes rather simple after a couple of hours, but I enjoyed it.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jun 2, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hell yeah forsaken remastered?? The Descent-like from the early 2000’s? Or an mi thinking of a different game?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Hell yeah forsaken remastered?? The Descent-like from the early 2000’s? Or an mi thinking of a different game?

No that’s the one and it’s a faithful remaster from a good studio. They’ve done the same magic with Turok 1 and 2, both of which are worth picking up. Would love to see those go free on Twitch Prime as well.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Awesome. I loved that game back in the day, it was the first game to really make me wish I could afford a better video card than my trusty nvidia riva 128

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Future, one day only free game

https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/1267818280997122051?s=21

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Is that a new full game or like a smaller side thing? I don’t know what the Saga line indicates there.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

They had that Saga game about Britain that no one played. Think it's like that, so a full game.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Bottom Liner posted:

Is that a new full game or like a smaller side thing? I don’t know what the Saga line indicates there.

The latter. I believe the Saga games tend to be where they hash out mechanics ahead of the next big Total War game.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
New DRM-freebies on GOG:

Ascendant
War Wind
Delores: A Thimbleweed Park Mini-Adventure

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

I remember trying to play War Wind back in the day but mostly being confused.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Overcooked now free on Epic Games Store:
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/overcooked/home

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Looks like it's another repeat.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

ARK had a timed event that got pushed back due to Situations, so it may have also been pushed back as a freebie.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Stardew Valley, Doom and Doom 2 are free for Chromebook owners

https://www.google.com/chromebook/perks

(maybe not in every country)

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Anyone who doesn't have it should get it because it and its sequel are the best co-op games.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'm legit more okay with this than Ark. I will actually be able to get people to play this

Also so much for the leak being right

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Breetai posted:

Anyone who doesn't have it should get it because it and its sequel are the best co-op games.

What if you want your friends to remain your friends?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Skwirl posted:

What if you want your friends to remain your friends?

If your friends can't enjoy this kind of wholesome fun without going apeshit then losing them is doing you a favour.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Currently free on GOG's front page for the next 48 or so: Total Annihilation: Commander Pack

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

The Kins posted:

Currently free on GOG's front page for the next 48 or so: Total Annihilation: Commander Pack

drat, that's what I call a Good Old Game! Used to play obsessively in middle school, wonder how it holds up

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

goferchan posted:

drat, that's what I call a Good Old Game! Used to play obsessively in middle school, wonder how it holds up

Does it ever! Definitely one of the best RTS ever made. Still has a fairly active modding community, which I posted about here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3869771&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post488404755

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Breetai posted:

If your friends can't enjoy this kind of wholesome fun without going apeshit then losing them is doing you a favour.

90% of the fun of playing with games with friends is yelling and loving each other over for fun

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

goferchan posted:

it does

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Not technically free, but the cause is good and the value ratio is too insane to not mention: Itch.io asked their devs to donate games in a bundle with proceeds donated to the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund and Community Bail Fund split 50/50.

The result is a bundle of 744 paid games available for five bucks.

Better-recognized games include:

• Babysitter Bloodbath, from the seminal 80s throwback horror creator Puppet Combo
  • Lancer, the tabletop setting and rulebook from the creator of Kill Six Billion Demons
  • Night in the Woods, a goon favorite
  • OneShot, a particularly popular metacommentary-laden indie darling
  • Super Hexagon, the popular twitch action game
  • Cook Serve Delicious 2, another goon-favorite sim that accurately induces restaurant industry RSI
  • Bleed and Bleed 2, well-known platform action entries
  • Quadrilateral Cowboy, a first person hack-em-up

aaand my computer ran out of memory scrolling down but that's in the first few rows. All this plus a gazillion of the rainbow of arthouse games and zines and such that itch.io houses, all without DRM.

edit:
Note that when you finish the purchase you're put on a unique page associated with your purchase. Save this address page. You need to click the download button for each game that you want in your library. Itch attaches the bundle to your account but I can't tell how you would cleanly get back to its page, and it says it emails the link to you, but I didn't get that email.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jun 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Here's another sort-of-free game:

https://twitter.com/chubigans/status/1268960487867322368?s=21

Further on down the thread the dev says that if you have a receipt of any donation in the last couple weeks, it counts, so it doesn't have to be brand new or anything.