Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Super Foul Egg posted:

I'm sure everyone has noticed by now that :frontear: has left Elite on maintenance mode for two years plus. This is not going to be an amazing return to form. The big brains that added the few good ideas that survive in the game to this day did so early, and are long gone.

It doesn't matter though. Doesn't matter! This isn't news of an exciting videogame expansion, it's a decisive loss in the war imagined and played out entirely inside the head of Christ Robers.

I'm glad of it.

If this is the first xpac since Horizons, it might actually contain a big content drop. On the other hand, much like Horizons, they'll have to section it off so people without the xpac can still play the game, so it won't be tightly integrated.

I feel like good stuff has happened to Elite in the last two years, but the fan base is getting pretty jaded. I personally haven't played much since a bout maybe a half year ago where I did a lot of deep core mining and really enjoyed it. This might be an attempt to breathe some real life into things, or it might be a cash grab based on the last remains of the original plan. Only time will tell, but either way it'll be better than what Star Citizen has managed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Good god, CIG kill your fanbase

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Pixelate posted:

(Don't let your family hack you though. Don't want the sound of elephant stampedes while you're in the toilet or something).

Whispering birthday present wishes during sleep directly into the brain

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

ACAB - All Commandos Are Buying

Anyway congrats TheAgent! Please please please get some reactions to Elite finally doing Space Legs, which lmfao

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

There is no yikes big enough

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
Seriously I don't think I can lol at this game any more, just shut it down, I'm done with it

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Pixelate posted:

Best reaction on the sub

Hmmmmmmm... But SC's (pre-)alpha footage means every other game is dead (according to a constantly shrinking minority).

Regarding those lovely backers, I sure hope CIG gets every penny from them. And then some.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Ok this one didn't sound right to me so I went and looked it up from the actual study it sites and it appears this graph is actually backwards.

study here

idk I even bother with racist idiots. But there you go.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sarsapariller posted:

If this is the first xpac since Horizons, it might actually contain a big content drop. On the other hand, much like Horizons, they'll have to section it off so people without the xpac can still play the game, so it won't be tightly integrated.

I feel like good stuff has happened to Elite in the last two years, but the fan base is getting pretty jaded. I personally haven't played much since a bout maybe a half year ago where I did a lot of deep core mining and really enjoyed it. This might be an attempt to breathe some real life into things, or it might be a cash grab based on the last remains of the original plan. Only time will tell, but either way it'll be better than what Star Citizen has managed.

As long as Braben is in and not senile (and owns major shares), there's no realistic danger of this - Elite is his child and you'd basically have to go over the company's owner and creator to go that way (cash grab and leave it).

Also hah @"last remains". Go check Braben's post-Kickstarter video on KS, there's lots more. And unlike Star Citizen, I am every year more and more convinced that they will eventually be able to pull it off (if only because they have very good engine made for rendering procedural planets, flora and fauna), it's just that they don't show off needlessly. The biggest danger I see in it becoming obsolete, though so far they kinda avoid it. On the other hand, if I have to pick between shiny turd Star Citizen at 10 FPS and slightly outdated-looking Elite at 60 FPS... well, I won't be picking long.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Popete posted:

Ok this one didn't sound right to me so I went and looked it up from the actual study it sites and it appears this graph is actually backwards.

study here

lol god drat, good find

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

Popete posted:

study here

Not to defend racist idiots, but isn't the graph actually correct? It just excludes same race crimes. The "on white" columns look big because the total number of white people is larger.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Popete posted:

study here

It's not backwards, if you calculate the numbers. But it conveniently leaves out the white-on-white (2.24M cases) or black-on-black (396k cases) category, so it's basically cherry-picking what it wants to show.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Popete posted:

study here

I don't think the chart is wrong, the problem is that it leaves out the whopping 2.2 million Violent Crime incidents by Whites against Whites.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ah you're right it isn't wrong per say but it's excluding some contextual information and overall proportionality of violent crimes based on population.

That's actually an interesting study overall. It of course doesn't dive into why poor black people are overly prosecuted and how our justice system is setup to keep them in a revolving cycle.

Buy an idris

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Also lol if you think Black people will go to the cops in all instances to report a violent crime.

Double lol if you think that because you can splash a graph on your twitter timeline it somehow negates OBVIOUS AND OUTRIGHT POLICE BRUTALITY.

Like, nah, George Floyd, lets not cry out his name and demand justice, because some white people somewhere else in the country have also been wronged. OR, we could demand justice for them too!! After we've convicted George Floyd's murderer, of course.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Enchanted Hat posted:

Not to defend racist idiots, but isn't the graph actually correct? It just excludes same race crimes. The "on white" columns look big because the total number of white people is larger.

Its only "correct" in that it displays numbers of incidents but doesn't normalize by population size, as you noted. Cherry picking which stats to show is how you lie with statistics and ideological racists love lying with crime stats.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

It's not backwards, if you calculate the numbers. But it conveniently leaves out the white-on-white (2.24M cases) or black-on-black (396k cases) category, so it's basically cherry-picking what it wants to show.

I wasn't going to comment because I got probated last time we swung by racism, but yeah its mega cherry picking and also using raw numbers rather than scaling based on population. Also this is not about "white on black" crime numbers the protests are about when you literally cannot trust the police force that ostensibly is there to protect you to not kill you with little/no provocation because of the colour of your skin.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Also who knows maybe we could defund the police a bit, restructure and re-organize the country and distribute the wealth in a way that positively impacts communities at large or that may be vulnerable to socio-economic issues.

Anyways Star Citizen sucks and see you in Elite: Dangerous' Odyssey where we can space hunt space Medusa with space spears.

StarBegotten
Mar 23, 2016

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Its only "correct" in that it displays numbers of incidents but doesn't normalize by population size, as you noted. Cherry picking which stats to show is how you lie with statistics and ideological racists love lying with crime stats.

Plus its only showing the total amount of crimes committed by the populace, not the amount committed by police against civilians. So its not relevant to the issue that sparked the riots in the first place.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lmao never change Star Citizen community.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Probably try not to go too far down the rabbit hole owning these dumb racist star citizen dorks imo. It's an incredibly important topic right now but also "dumb racist gamers are dumb and racist" isn't exactly news and I'm not sure its fully worth the derail into FBI statistics or whatever just to disprove some of the dumbest members of an already notably stupid community.

Idk just a thought

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I read the tweets and laugh at them, but that's about it. Look at the poop but don't touch it as they say.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

Probably try not to go too far down the rabbit hole owning these dumb racist star citizen dorks imo. It's an incredibly important topic right now but also "dumb racist gamers are dumb and racist" isn't exactly news and I'm not sure its fully worth the derail into FBI statistics or whatever just to disprove some of the dumbest members of an already notably stupid community.

Idk just a thought

Yeah I wasn't trying to derail the thread too much. Just thought it didn't look right and then started going down the rabbit hole.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

No yeah you're good I'm not calling out anyone in particular, just sort of generally saying to keep an eye on the derail.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

:reddit: Problem is...There is no more "fun" in the game. The grinding, the lack of content, story, and shallow sense of progression is not appealing.

I cant get any of my friends to even pick up the game again cause they ask me, "What changed?" And I cant answer them, since nothing really was added that pulls me back to Elite.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Clearly no space worms; joke or otherwise. loving hacks...

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

The funniest thing about Elite doing space legs is that it's almost definitely going to be dumb and boring (walking around on big empty planets sucks poo poo whether it's in Elite or Star Citizen) but will absolutely be much better in terms of feel and functionality than it has ever been in SC lmao.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

:reddit: posted:

I can't imagine this, will fix that game. Everything in it feels weightless and lackluster. Nevermind the paywalls.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The experience of flying the ship and combat is the one thing Frontier did pretty well, even if they actively sabotaged their success later. If they can pull that off with fps combat, it could easily be worth a buy, even if it still suffers from the inch deep problem. Looking forward to spending 50 hours grinding Imperial Guard Reputation to get a Railgun Rifle +2.

meanwhile, at CIg: "Let's add crowd control mechanics to our .001ms ttk guns *faaaaaaaaaart*

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 3, 2020

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Dooguk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxleLJ1wjTc

Waiting for a million excuses as to why this is inferior to the shite that is Star Citizen.

Is this actually a real trailer from Frontier?

It looks so incredibly boring! Like, putting space legs in a game about flying spaceships already seems kind of pointless, but they could not have made a less interesting trailer if they tried. They couldn't at least have the spacemen running? Maybe a light jog?

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

It's like they're intentionally mocking the people who wanted space legs. "Here's your stupid space legs. Have fun sauntering across the surface of a barren planet for 30 hours, assholes"

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

my new favorite game is "are they talking about Elite or Star Citizen"

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I can't get over that Ben Dover guy. Looking forward to him threatening to refund his purchases of space hawaiian shirts and space rifles lmao

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Enchanted Hat posted:

It's like they're intentionally mocking the people who wanted space legs. "Here's your stupid space legs. Have fun sauntering across the surface of a barren planet for 30 hours, assholes"

It's like the difference is Elite knows it hates its forum dads and star citizen still thinks it likes them lol

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Pixelate posted:

quote:

I can't imagine this, will fix that game. Everything in it feels weightless and lackluster. Nevermind the paywalls.

:ironicat:

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

Enchanted Hat posted:

Well it was either that or waiting for a train. Guess they went with this.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

looks like some folks have been taking notes from ea...

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
Here's Frontier's announcement of Odyssey:

https://www.elitedangerous.com/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=crm&utm_term=&utm_content=&utm_campaign=WatsonAnnounce

Some features:

Beexoffel fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 3, 2020

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Enchanted Hat posted:

Is this actually a real trailer from Frontier?

It looks so incredibly boring! Like, putting space legs in a game about flying spaceships already seems kind of pointless, but they could not have made a less interesting trailer if they tried. They couldn't at least have the spacemen running? Maybe a light jog?

You're saying that as if a game about flying spaceships wasn't also itself very boring. Space is loving boring and it's not like these space-sim type games are trying to make a fun experience, they're not making Star Fox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

peter gabriel posted:

I will have my final front ears

:discourse: