Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So I'm fully willing to admit I'm a dummy who doesn't know what he's doing, but is there no way to play Co-op online?

The only options it gives me is for invite only or friends only. Is there no way to just play with random people from online like on Xbox?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

ExplodingSims posted:

So I'm fully willing to admit I'm a dummy who doesn't know what he's doing, but is there no way to play Co-op online?

The only options it gives me is for invite only or friends only. Is there no way to just play with random people from online like on Xbox?
There's no co-op matchmaking in MCC, no. On Xbox people use the "Looking for Group" stuff on that platform. That's available on Windows 10 via the Game Bar (Winkey + G) but I dunno if it's being used by MCC PC players.

Hotfix for the Halo 2 projectile bug is out on all platforms.

quote:

General Bug Fixes (PC)
Fix to the Easy Anti-Cheat splash screen on launch

Halo 2 (All Platforms)
Improved stability when leaving or ending Campaign Missions
Fixed an issue that caused projectiles and grenades to teleport to players elsewhere on the map

Halo 2: Anniversary (All Platforms)
Updated Shrine Map Variants for the H2A Team Hardcore playlist
Flag return time in Big Team Battle CTF set to 15 seconds from 5

Halo 2 (PC)
Resolved Installation issue for Extended Language Pack voice not being installed
When playing on a high FOV the LOD textures now render more consistently
A connection interrupted issue has been resolved when entering the final cutscene on co-op Campaign
Big Team Three Plots score now accurately requires 600 seconds to win

Halo 2: Anniversary (PC)
Textures now appear appropriately on “The Oracle” for those with AMD GPUs
Fixed a memory leak on the pause menu during Campaign
Forge variant maps now have correct lighting applied

Halo 2: Anniversary (Xbox One)
Fixed an issue causing the HUD to be off-centered when zooming while playing splitscreen multiplayer

Halo 3 (Xbox One)
Resolved a Crash when loading into the multiplayer map Valhalla
Resolved an issue causing Rubber-banding, desynced vehicles, objectives, and objects, missing effects, and overall instability during Halo 3 multiplayer sessions

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

I'm finding multiplayer in H2A super challenging. I keep swapping back and forth between controller and m+k but I haven't done console fpses for so long that it feels foreign (although i still remember bumper jumper!). I keep going back to the mouse but it's really tough to keep my shots on target with the BR.

It almost feels like there's no aim assist for the mouse whereas there's the regular amount for the controller? I'm just getting owned much more than I'd expect, but maybe I'm just playing people a lot better than me?

It isn't helping that the remastered maps take a few minutes for me to remember where things are after the artwork has been redone. Had a game on ascension where most of the other team quit so I spent a bit just staring at the skybox.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Iirc there is aim assist with controllers but not keyboard/mouse and it is a huge source of contention within the community

When i was reading tips for how to use the BR in Reach some months back one site just said “use the controller”

I haven’t tried a controller yet so can’t independently verify if the aim-assist is aimbot levels of good for controller players

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
With the Halo 3 beta tests starting in mid June, how long have these tests run for generally before the game becomes fully available?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If you gave aim assist to MKB you’d be assuring that controllers would become a joke. MKB (on average in the general population) is slightly better at shooting accuracy than controllers, and aim assist is a handicap to bring controllers up to MKB levels of capability, or just to bring them up a usability standard.

Playing shooters with controllers with aim assist turned off is always way, way shittier than it should be. Even if you’re good at controllers!

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

Hyper Inferno posted:

With the Halo 3 beta tests starting in mid June, how long have these tests run for generally before the game becomes fully available?

Not very long at all. Possibly not long enough judging by how undercooked some of these games are coming out at release.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
May Development Update is up, focusing on the winding, labyrinthine path a bugfix has to take through Microsoft's nightmarish bureaucracy. Here are the bits you care about :

• Halo 3 Insider Flight early next month. It'll have half of the campaign and multiplayer maps, Forge, Theater and the Challenge System's full form.
  • Detailed explanations of what was causing the issues with H2C MP and H3 in the previous update, to the point of screenshots of a guilty piece of Halo 3's source code.
  • REACH AUDIO ISSUES are wrapping up final testing and will either get a patch release or its own Insider Flight soon.
  • Screenshots teasing the return of per-piece armor customisation to Halo 3, and... a bunch of new toys in Halo 3 Forge...?

The Kins fucked around with this message at 06:17 on May 30, 2020

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib
I'm now two thirds through the Halo 2 campaign and had a good time. A nice walk down memory lane. My dumb comments:

-the decision to focus on internal Convenant stuff and make the Arbiter a protagonist was (despite the non-subtle writing) a good one.
-I like the first Arbiter level on a visual level - a lot. The Bespin-like colours, the blinky lights and breathers on the heretics, good stuff.
-Sth I already noticed in the Halo 1 remastered Campaign: At last on normal, npc buddies (elites and marines) die a lot faster than in the original xbox versions? I want to play pretty weapon dolls with them and give everyone rocket launchers and sniper rifles damnid!
-Gravemind looks proper disgusting in this updated version - like really really disguting, good job designers! In the original Halo 2 sequences he looked like one of these flesh-eating plants from Super Mario or Little shop of Horrors.
-Oh holy poo poo the Flood combat forms are no joke if you don't have a sword or upgraded sentinel beam - and the Shotgun has become way worse at dealing with them than in Halo 1.
-Especially the Arbiter level in the Quarantine zone building and exterior reminds me of this fact. Especially human combat forms are very fast, very small and a lot of them have Shotguns that oneshot you - if they decide to shoot. Flood Gauss Warthogs and Scorpion tanks are really painful, especially if you're in a Ghost.
-Lol the reign of God Emperor Pistol I from Halo CE was ended by the nerv of all nervs. Yes, it was overpowered back then, but turning it into a horrible pea-shooter that did almost no damage at all and had poo poo-all for ammo was a bit much. I await the return of a good pistol in...Halo 3?
- I'm not actively seraching for them but the terminals I've found are a welcome addition to the narrative world! They are adding lots of cool facts to the history of the Human-Convenant war and the Convenant by incorporating stuff from the graphic novels etc.
-Only massive slowdown was in the Lake Temple level, but fortunately that stopped after 20 secs.

Anyone else going through the Halo 2 campaign atm? What's your thoughts yall?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

SavageGentleman posted:

I'm now two thirds through the Halo 2 campaign and had a good time. A nice walk down memory lane. My dumb comments:

-the decision to focus on internal Convenant stuff and make the Arbiter a protagonist was (despite the non-subtle writing) a good one.
-I like the first Arbiter level on a visual level - a lot. The Bespin-like colours, the blinky lights and breathers on the heretics, good stuff.
-Sth I already noticed in the Halo 1 remastered Campaign: At last on normal, npc buddies (elites and marines) die a lot faster than in the original xbox versions? I want to play pretty weapon dolls with them and give everyone rocket launchers and sniper rifles damnid!
-Gravemind looks proper disgusting in this updated version - like really really disguting, good job designers! In the original Halo 2 sequences he looked like one of these flesh-eating plants from Super Mario or Little shop of Horrors.
-Oh holy poo poo the Flood combat forms are no joke if you don't have a sword or upgraded sentinel beam - and the Shotgun has become way worse at dealing with them than in Halo 1.
-Especially the Arbiter level in the Quarantine zone building and exterior reminds me of this fact. Especially human combat forms are very fast, very small and a lot of them have Shotguns that oneshot you - if they decide to shoot. Flood Gauss Warthogs and Scorpion tanks are really painful, especially if you're in a Ghost.
-Lol the reign of God Emperor Pistol I from Halo CE was ended by the nerv of all nervs. Yes, it was overpowered back then, but turning it into a horrible pea-shooter that did almost no damage at all and had poo poo-all for ammo was a bit much. I await the return of a good pistol in...Halo 3?
- I'm not actively seraching for them but the terminals I've found are a welcome addition to the narrative world! They are adding lots of cool facts to the history of the Human-Convenant war and the Convenant by incorporating stuff from the graphic novels etc.
-Only massive slowdown was in the Lake Temple level, but fortunately that stopped after 20 secs.

Better levels than Halo 1, that's for sure!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
is it just me or are these "The Yappening" gametypes about as fun as colorectal cancer

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

SavageGentleman posted:

I finished it solo on legendary the week it came out- it was the only game I never did back in the day, for obvious reasons. I agree the heretics all have a cool visual style. With regards to the pistol- its now the BR. 12 3 round bursts instead of 12 single shots but it takes up the same place in the sandbox. Dual wielding (why did they take it out after 3 its such a power trip) changed some of the other weapons. In close quarters the pistol still owns if you mini-noob combo it- its a headshot weapon. Plasma pistol to strip the shield and then pistol shot to the head. Works well in sections of Cairo Station and against the elite honor guards on Delta Halo/Regret.

With regard to allies dying- I think the higher frame rate has bugged the firing of some weapons. Plasma weapons would stun NPCs in Halo 1, and everything but a needler will force friendlies to flinch in Halo 2. With the higher fire/frame rates, they get stuck in a stun/flinch animation where they can't move or fire back a lot more often. With that said I did manage to get these guys all the way through Gravemind somehow.

I always thought it was weird that the mission objective in that level was "Save the Marines" and then the just disappear in the cutscene at the end and the plot moves forward.

In regards to having done legendary, I actually enjoyed it for the most part. The Halo 2 sandbox is a lot more lethal and faster paced than the other Halo games. You might be the weakest thing in the sandbox but the weapons are all powerful enough in your own hands. Plus you have access to sniper rifles, rockets and almost every weapon by the second level. The moment to moment skirmishes were actually manageable and tense so long as you paid attention to your surroundings. The plasma projectiles being so much faster means that elites can actually be easier to take down than in Halo 1- noob combo/dual plasma rifle/ swap to BR and done. The Carbines ridiculous fire speed means that so long as you don't get rushed by a group, brutes are easier to score headshots on. The only thing that felt "cheap" was the jackal snipers and the shielded elite flood (both one hit kills from out of nowhere). This did make some sections DRAG, but everything around that made up for it. Special mention to the Arbiter getting a sword only start on Uprising, where it takes 2 lunges to kill a brute, and their melee retaliation, which triggers as soon as you make your first lunge, is a one hit kill...

The main thing I miss from Halo CE, and why CE still has my favourite moments in the franchise is the big battles in open arenas. Halo had copy-pasted level design but less sections where you're simply defending a small enclosed space for multiple waves. Nothing in Halo 2 comes close to that last battle in Two Betrayals where there's multiple Covenant tanks and turrets and hunters and a flood army, and you have to get through them. Halo 2 has better variety mission to mission but it never really reaches that level of scale. Also that ending is still so, so awful.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

is it just me or are these "The Yappening" gametypes about as fun as colorectal cancer

Brute Shoot is just the worst and it seems to be the gamemode that comes up every other time for me. At least it's only seven games and then never again playing this playlist.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Oh god that snow level on Halo 1. I vaguely remember getting a banshee and killing everything and loving the level. But I wasn't able to get a banshee, the dudes take off before my HUD even comes up. Best I could manage was getting over the bridge with 1 health bar and fighting my way back down to the ground level. Using a ghost to take out all the ghosts, the tank, the banshees, berserkers, everything with a stupid ghost. That was some super tedious kiting.

Normally I'd assume they want you to rush through if there's THAT many enemies and turrets.

l33tfuzzbox
Apr 3, 2009
I know in ODST you can't dual wield because you're a regular human, but reach I'm not sure. Aren't you a spartan 3? Could be the reason, i thought there was only only spartan 2 in noble squad.

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

Fallen Rib

Sanctum posted:

Oh god that snow level on Halo 1. I vaguely remember getting a banshee and killing everything and loving the level. But I wasn't able to get a banshee, the dudes take off before my HUD even comes up. Best I could manage was getting over the bridge with 1 health bar and fighting my way back down to the ground level. Using a ghost to take out all the ghosts, the tank, the banshees, berserkers, everything with a stupid ghost. That was some super tedious kiting.

Normally I'd assume they want you to rush through if there's THAT many enemies and turrets.

I liked that even here, they give you several options. You can try to grenade one of the Bridge Banshees away from its driver so he's unable to enter and you can use it.
Or you can use the active camo hidden 2 rooms before the bridge to steal one of the Bridge Banshees (strict timer though).
Clearing the bridge and then carefully jumping down on the long edge leading down into the pit is also possible - the pit is full of rocket ammo, a sniper rifle etc. But getting the jump right is also not super easy.

Or of course you can clear the bridge, the rooms following it, use the elevator, destroy all the stuff on the ground and then fight your way up the pyramid as God inteded it. :)

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

l33tfuzzbox posted:

I know in ODST you can't dual wield because you're a regular human, but reach I'm not sure. Aren't you a spartan 3? Could be the reason, i thought there was only only spartan 2 in noble squad.

You also cannot dual wield in Halo 4.

The explanation here is that Bungie could not figure out how to properly balance it, as well as wanting people to focus on the core gameplay loop of shoot, melee, and grenades.

l33tfuzzbox
Apr 3, 2009

Master_Odin posted:

You also cannot dual wield in Halo 4.

The explanation here is that Bungie could not figure out how to properly balance it, as well as wanting people to focus on the core gameplay loop of shoot, melee, and grenades.

I may have missed part od your point but wasnt 4 by 343? I swear prerelease ODST was because youre a normie, but reach was because of the new sandbox design. Maybe i hallucinated, i was young. I bought 4 and 5 on release and maybe played 2 levels of each so i didnt even realize it was still gone to be honest. Youre completely right though, i was just thinking of the in universe justification.

E: how does installing the MCC work on the xbone? I livein the middle of a cornfield 30 minutes from any non satellite internet, and i want to grab the disc and go thru the classics again. Is it all on disc other than the dlc games? Or is it a download or....? And if its a download, is it like a forced update or can i pick and choose what i want. Cant play multi here so campaign only.

l33tfuzzbox fucked around with this message at 09:42 on May 31, 2020

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

SavageGentleman posted:

I liked that even here, they give you several options. You can try to grenade one of the Bridge Banshees away from its driver so he's unable to enter and you can use it.
Or you can use the active camo hidden 2 rooms before the bridge to steal one of the Bridge Banshees (strict timer though).
Clearing the bridge and then carefully jumping down on the long edge leading down into the pit is also possible - the pit is full of rocket ammo, a sniper rifle etc. But getting the jump right is also not super easy.

Or of course you can clear the bridge, the rooms following it, use the elevator, destroy all the stuff on the ground and then fight your way up the pyramid as God inteded it. :)

You can clear the bridge, jump onto the main structure's "spine", run all the way up and then carefully skate down the side to avoid most of the fight.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

RosaParksOfDip posted:

You can clear the bridge, jump onto the main structure's "spine", run all the way up and then carefully skate down the side to avoid most of the fight.

There's no fun in that compared to capturing a banshee or two.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Yeah, I accidentally stumbled upon this, and got up to the top (and the friend I was playing with suicided so he could spawn near me, afterwards) and we got to skip a huge chunk of the level - it was a pretty funny surprise, for us! :D

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

SavageGentleman posted:

halo 2 was the one I somehow 'skipped'

I had halo 1 on the og pc re-release, but didn't have an xbox so I didn't play 2. Then got a 360 and 3/ODST/Reach/4. I did borrow 2 from a friend (and uh, never gave it back) and played it with the backwards compatibility but I only did the campaign like, once or twice, compared to the many many times for the others (...besides 4).

anyway my point is that while I'm not completely new to 2's campaign- I remember the big setpieces and general theme of the levels- I don't know any of the specifics.

playing on heroic- it wasn't too hard, up until gravemind. That level kicked the poo poo out of me, in comparison. I guess just the 2-hit berserking brutes, and the drones, and the start where you have to scramble for weapons and cover.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
yeah i was never a campaign guy, but holy poo poo did i play the halo 3 campaign all the way through like a dozen times, and the last level like 30 times

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Halo 2 campaign was fun as hell on co-op Legendary. Tons of memorable and brutal level design. One day I want to LASO it.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

holy moly jackals on h2 legendary :captainpop:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Mazerunner posted:

holy moly jackals on h2 legendary :captainpop:

What was that? Sorry, I couldn't hear you with that helmet on, let me add some holes real quick.

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

Fallen Rib
Jackal valley death time!

More small observations to the Halo 2 campaign:
-I really want to love the Brute plasma rifle but by the time you get it, you're mostly fighting Brutes (or flood combat forms) who don't care about it at all. But it really shreds Elites!
- still salty about the piddly Shotgun - although it was surprisingly effective against Tartarus. Note: Don't forget to grab a beam sniper rifle in the first moments of the last level, it will really shorten the boss fight.
- Bashing in the Prophet of Regret's face with MC's armoured fists is funfunfun!
- as I forgot most of the plot of Halo 3, I cannot remember if the super self-destructive decisions of the Prophet of Truth are making any sense in hindsight. Destroying the Convenant as a political force and massacring at least a third of its fleet & army in a civil war - while the Flood is allowed to take over High Charity - doesn't look like a smart move.
- the decision to make Gravemind only speak in rhymes was ... questionable.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The prophet of regret was voiced by the same actor that played Byron from Babylon 5 so if you've seen that show the part where you beat him to death in the game is like a thousand times more satisfying

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I started playing the Halo 2 A campaign, only on the 2nd level but some thoughts

1) It's much harder than I remember, even with keyboard and mouse. I'm playing on Heroic and your shields drain super fast and the covenant are laser accurate. It feels like there are fewer checkpoints as well compared to Halo 1/Reach.

2) I keep trying to play dual wield but due to the fact that your shields last 3 shots max, and death quickly follows, I wasn't having much luck. Popping off headshots with the BR and sticking elites with plasma / using regular grenades for grunts and jackals is a much more effective strategy

3) Hunters are deadly as gently caress holy poo poo

4) gently caress you sniper jackals

5) The game feels..slower? More confined? Yes I am only two levels in but already it is missing some of the wide open spaces from Halo 1 and even Reach. It's clear they pushed the Xbox to its limit and had to reduce the playable space as a result.

Overall I am having fun, but only once I just accepted the fact that the BR rules all. Bungie really pushed dual-wielding in their marketing but honestly it doesn't do much good when you need to be in close combat to be effective, and the enemies shred your shields.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

SavageGentleman posted:

Jackal valley death time!

More small observations to the Halo 2 campaign:
-I really want to love the Brute plasma rifle but by the time you get it, you're mostly fighting Brutes (or flood combat forms) who don't care about it at all. But it really shreds Elites!
- still salty about the piddly Shotgun - although it was surprisingly effective against Tartarus. Note: Don't forget to grab a beam sniper rifle in the first moments of the last level, it will really shorten the boss fight.
- Bashing in the Prophet of Regret's face with MC's armoured fists is funfunfun!
- as I forgot most of the plot of Halo 3, I cannot remember if the super self-destructive decisions of the Prophet of Truth are making any sense in hindsight. Destroying the Convenant as a political force and massacring at least a third of its fleet & army in a civil war - while the Flood is allowed to take over High Charity - doesn't look like a smart move.
- the decision to make Gravemind only speak in rhymes was ... questionable.

Huh I used dual brute plasmas on Tartarus and it took him down pretty quick. Couldn't imagine getting close enough to use the shotgun safely...

Also on Legendary you have to board and punch Regret like 4 or 5 times. The strongest cyborg humanity has ever created in an advanced powered armour system hits a little weaker than expected, given Regret is just tiny old man.

All melees kinda suck in Halo 2 though.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I started playing the Halo 2 A campaign, only on the 2nd level but some thoughts

1) It's much harder than I remember, even with keyboard and mouse. I'm playing on Heroic and your shields drain super fast and the covenant are laser accurate. It feels like there are fewer checkpoints as well compared to Halo 1/Reach.

2) I keep trying to play dual wield but due to the fact that your shields last 3 shots max, and death quickly follows, I wasn't having much luck. Popping off headshots with the BR and sticking elites with plasma / using regular grenades for grunts and jackals is a much more effective strategy

3) Hunters are deadly as gently caress holy poo poo

4) gently caress you sniper jackals

5) The game feels..slower? More confined? Yes I am only two levels in but already it is missing some of the wide open spaces from Halo 1 and even Reach. It's clear they pushed the Xbox to its limit and had to reduce the playable space as a result.

Overall I am having fun, but only once I just accepted the fact that the BR rules all. Bungie really pushed dual-wielding in their marketing but honestly it doesn't do much good when you need to be in close combat to be effective, and the enemies shred your shields.

Remember that the enemies focus fire where they last saw you, so you have to go between sides of the cover your behind. Pop out, EMP/headshot or stick, duck back, recharge, go the other side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikvheFiDsYY

This talk is super interesting about enemy behaviour and gameplay in the Halo series. He talks at one point about how in order to get the game running they had to pull out most of the 'cover' geometry in the game, so yes, parts will feel slower because you have to be more conservative with your movement.

Still I feel once you get comfortable with MKB Halo 2, it is still faster and more lethal feeling in moment to moment gameplay. The plasma pistol and plasma grenades are your BFFs when it comes to elites. Also Halo 2 has the same amount of checkpoints but waaaaaay more checkpoint bugs where they don't trigger. Very fun combined with all the cheap instadeaths.

Dual wielding is less viable on higher difficulties outside of a very few scenarios. It was hilarious back on the original multiplayer though. They had to patch the SMG/Plasma Rifle combo to be less effective.

Also with hunters, always keep a beam rifle handy (there in plentiful supply throughout the game). Shoot for the neck if you can't get to the back. It takes them down pretty quick.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

double needler wrecks brutes, at least on heroic. although when possible I think you'd still rather plink them from far away with dmr/carbine/snipers. brute shot's ok too. does the brute shot do extra melee damage in 2, or was that a 3 thing?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Mazerunner posted:

double needler wrecks brutes, at least on heroic. although when possible I think you'd still rather plink them from far away with dmr/carbine/snipers. brute shot's ok too. does the brute shot do extra melee damage in 2, or was that a 3 thing?

It does double damage in 2. Jumping and melee also does a lot of extra damage, and I think a jumping melee with the Brute Shot is an instant kill in multiplayer.

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

Fallen Rib
From my playthrough I can say that the brute grenade launcher does a lot more melee damage than most other weapons.

Yeah, the way weapon balance works in H2 means that 95% of the time, you will have the BR or Convenant Carbine in your inventory, leaving only 1 slot for playing around with other weapons. Also a shame that the weapons based on dual wielding are pretty weak solo, esp in comparison to the br. The machine pistol mostly disappears after the first level (and when it reappers later, you almost neber find enough ammo for it), plasma pistols have become basically useless in primary fire mode. The needler is still situationally useful, esp. In double mode, but it really struggles with the many fast enemies the game throws at you.

Oh yes, without the oneshot pistol kill, hunters are now pretty dangerous! Not as horrible as they were in Halo: Reach though - the dance club hunter pair killed me more than a dozen times.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I found the Reach Hunters to be much easier to deal with because they didn’t have that stream-cannon from Halo 2-3 and I seemingly always had a rocket launcher when faced with them.

It is funny though how hard Bungie pushed dual-wielding in Halo 2 marketing (the chief even dual wields smgs on the cover and they showed it off in that E3 demo) but in practicality it breaks the core Halo gunplay loop of “precision weapon, grenades, melee” and became impossible for Bungie to properly balance without breaking that core loop.

By Halo 3 dual-wielding was an afterthought (I almost never saw anyone do it in MP) and by ODST it was gone for good.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
IIRC, the Gravemind speaks in rhyme because it annoyed people.
Im really blown away by the difference in H2s visual modes. H1s new graphics suck, everything is bright, greebly, and otherwise pointlessly busy. H2s new gfx suffer from greebles, and loss of some subtle details, but the lighting in areas is VASTLY improved. Im also guessing they switched to prerendered cinematics, which feel weird since halo was always an in-engine game.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

SpookyLizard posted:

H1s new graphics suck, everything is bright, greebly, and otherwise pointlessly busy.

For real. All the forerunner structures are needlessly texturally busy and are full of Light! Random geometries! Look at how sci fi everything is!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

SpookyLizard posted:

which feel weird since halo was always an in-engine game.

This was always the best. I once finished Two Betrayals in H1 with a couple sentinels still alive. Who doggedly battered down my shields in the outro cutscene, leading to Cortana teleporting my corpse away.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

There's almost too much lighting in H2A, I can't see poo poo in the dark in some maps lol

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Arrath posted:

This was always the best. I once finished Two Betrayals in H1 with a couple sentinels still alive. Who doggedly battered down my shields in the outro cutscene, leading to Cortana teleporting my corpse away.

I remember dicking around with cutscenes so much in Halo CE on the xbox. Best was stealing a banshee in the bridge section of Assault on the Control Room, keeping the elite-controlled banshee alive, guiding it through the doors, then entering the cinematic. IIRC he would circle the massive control room in the background, taunting you. And sometimes splatter you.

best example i could find quickly on yt was this, but its a goodie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUampXvdwOY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Also I have to amend my position a little. H2 anniversary graphics are actually GOOD in some places. Notably Delta Halo. the environment makes the original graphics look like a low res LOD texture. Im not crazy for the unnecessary business of the enemies, the constant visual effects from gunfire, and the forerunner poo poo is still. greebly, but the Delta Halo ruins are amazing. Cairo station and mombasa arent too bad either, and I really liked the harsh lighting on the exterior of the station. Were these done by two different teams?