Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Someone who isn't phone-posting post the Indian-Bangladeshi border

They cleaned this up a bit a few years ago, it no longer has the... was it the 3rd order enclave?

ha, yes:

quote:

This was a piece of India within a piece of Bangladesh within a piece of India within Bangladesh, making it the only third-order enclave (or counter-counter enclave) in the world until 1 August 2015, when it was ceded to Bangladesh.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dahala_Khagrabari

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Armenia's borders are hosed. Even ignoring Artsakh and Nakchivan, there's bunch of other Azeri and Armenian exclaves dotted around which I have no idea who actually controls what on the ground

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Whorelord posted:

Armenia's borders are hosed. Even ignoring Artsakh and Nakchivan, there's bunch of other Azeri and Armenian exclaves dotted around which I have no idea who actually controls what on the ground

The small exclaves that existed now generally belong to the country that surrounded them. De jure, the little bubbles of Armenia inside Azerbaijan are still Armenia, and vice versa, but de facto I think they've all been taken over.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The City of Philadelphia imposes a pretty steep tax on sugared beverages. Philadelphia International Airport sits partially inside the city limits and partially in the township of Tinicum in neighboring Delaware County. Therefore travellers pay less for a bottle of soda in the A terminals than the rest of the place.

I see some prime terminal B real estate.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Weembles posted:

Did they re-draw the border to exclude the terminal or build the terminal to take advantage of the bend in the line?

No, A-west in the new international terminal tacked on recently

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Algeria–Morocco border has some beautiful fractals in the Sahara. Start looking at 31.09, -3.65.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

North Africa is prime real estate for beautiful calligraphy as the border. It's just pointless desert anyway, why not do some squiggles on the straight lines? Realistically, you would end up with الله اكبر a bunch of times, but you could do some fun poetry or something too.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

I see some prime terminal B real estate.

I think that's mostly seating and some kiosks for terminal workers to get people huddled into the planes. So yeah, there could be a hotdog stand there selling soda for a better price lol

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Well it's a tax so you don't usually see the cost until you are at the register. A bottle of something might have the same displayed price in terminals A and C. Now if you were in that small area of Terminal B and wanted to put up huge signs that said "cheaper drinks here" "no Phila beverage tax" that's a different story.

It's not a gigantic increased cost compared to how expensive things are at the airport. It's 1.5 cents per fluid ounce. Usually here it's referred to as the "soda tax" but it applies to any and all beverages with a sweetener, even an artificial sweetener. Gatorade is subject to the beverage tax. A green tea with stevia in it is subject to the beverage tax. A bottle of orange juice is subject to the beverage tax, unless it is 100% juice. It's very broad.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Well it's a tax so you don't usually see the cost until you are at the register. A bottle of something might have the same displayed price in terminals A and C.

I keep forgetting about America's extremely confusing custom of not including taxes on shelf price labels.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's really dumb and the only purpose is to fool people into thinking that they're paying less.

Apparently there's a number of products that are legally supposed to be exempt from sales taxes, but like gently caress are most vendors going to bother programming that into their POS system, and you'll never know until one weird guy starts complaining that legally the milk shouldn't be 8 cents more than it's priced and shows you an article on sales tax law.

Gotta love those regressive taxes. At least Amazon has to charge it now.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
As with most things to do with taxes in the US it's also tacitly been designed to be as obnoxious as possible to make a person instinctively react negatively.

Every time you grab something and see that the price at the register is noticeably higher than the one posted, it's supposed to fuel the natural knee jerk resentment against taxation in the hopes that you'll support Republicans reducing sales taxes down the line.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's really dumb and the only purpose is to fool people into thinking that they're paying less.

Apparently there's a number of products that are legally supposed to be exempt from sales taxes, but like gently caress are most vendors going to bother programming that into their POS system, and you'll never know until one weird guy starts complaining that legally the milk shouldn't be 8 cents more than it's priced and shows you an article on sales tax law.

California, Texas, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Arizona, Missouri, and Florida exempt edible and fruiting plants from sales tax, which can be significant and isn’t always reflected in the retailer’s database. Colorado has a reduced but nonzero rate for them (and luxuries like fizzy drinks).

It’s not like anyone on a franchise level is going to fix mistakes in classification, though.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jun 2, 2020

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Here's a politically loaded map

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Pennsylvania charges sales tax on tissues, paper towels, and paper napkins, but not toilet paper.

If you buy a United States flag or Pennsylvania state flag in Pennsylvania it's not subject to sales tax, but all other flags are.

Cloth, leather, and gardening gloves are not taxed, but all other gloves made from any other material or for any other purposes are. Hunting clothes are not taxed but prom dresses are.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Pumpkins are taxed if they're sold for decoration, but not taxed if they're sold for food.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
quietly redesigns nitrile glove label

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Platystemon posted:

quietly redesigns nitrile glove label

Yes I do believe that if you labeled them "gardening gloves" they would not be taxable

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

If you buy yarn in pa for the purposes of making clothing its untaxed but i swear to god if you make a blanket out of that yarn :argh:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

How does that even work? Do you have to pinky swear to the cashier that you will only make clothing with the yarn? Or is it something dumber like there's a print in the yarn saying FOR CLOTHING ONLY?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

That is literally how it works yeah. They ask “is this for clothing” and you say yes.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What about a snuggie

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

What about a snuggie

Will the snuggie be used for hunting purposes?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Lets get some politically loaded pa weird pa tax tip maps in here too

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The PA State Police utterly gave up on trying to stop people bringing over carloads of booze from that store a few years ago. The only victory over policing I've seen this century!

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

BonHair posted:

How does it work with borders being closed though? Is that family legally required to not leave?

As someone who grew up near the dutch/german border I can tell you its completely impossible to close the border for locals. There's a billion different ways to cross it and I would be suprised if anyone even tried to enforce it, besides closing down highways and other major crossings.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

I grew up near the border between Switzerland and France. The grandmother of a friend had the border running through her kitchen.

Don't ask me what they did during the world wars.

I know they have fixed it in the last 20-30 years or so and now the whole building (and presumably the grounds around it) is in Switzerland.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The USA would be better if Delaware was abolished. Give to PA and state up the NYC metro so we don't have to change all the flags.

Also, my more controversial plan: turn New England into just two states, and merge enough of the square states to end republican dominance of the Senate. One of the new post-squares can snake, EU4 style, into Texas if it can poach enough conservative voters to swing Texas.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 3, 2020

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Wuxi posted:

As someone who grew up near the dutch/german border I can tell you its completely impossible to close the border for locals. There's a billion different ways to cross it and I would be suprised if anyone even tried to enforce it, besides closing down highways and other major crossings.

Yes this. I live near the Dutch/Belgian border and the only way to seal that border is to build a Death Fence like the Germans did in WWI. And even back then people wrre able to slip past the border. There are just too many foot/bicycle paths or even just (old smugglers) sandy paths etc.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The USA would be better if Delaware was abolished. Give to PA and state up the NYC metro so we don't have to change all the flags.

Also, my more controversial plan: turn New England into just two states, and merge enough of the square states to end republican dominance of the Senate. One of the new post-squares can snake, EU4 style, into Texas if it can poach enough conservative voters to swing Texas.

The Dakotas were supposed to be one state but were split in two to give Republicans two extra seats in the senate in the 19th century so just correct this mistake

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Delaware already was part of Pennsylvania until June 15 1776 when it declared independence from Pennsylvania and the British Empire weeks before everyone else did it's a Delaware holiday called Separation Day it rules Delaware rules

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Give it back to Sweden. We need to get into the quasiextraterratorial EU tax shelter game.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Groda posted:

Give it back to Sweden. We need to get into the quasiextraterratorial EU tax shelter game.

All Swedes attempting to reconquer Delaware will be thrown into the Murderkill River.

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 3, 2020

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

All Swedes attempting to reconquer Delaware will be thrown into the Murderkill River.

and they will insist their way of dying is quietly superior and more natural, also in the Great Swedish tradition of sinking money in a great venture only to have it actually sink minutes into its first foray

at least the Scots went out in a fireball of bankruptcy and tropical diseases

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

"fireball of bankruptcy and tropical diseases" is my plan for the summer.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 3, 2020

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

FreudianSlippers posted:

"fireball of bankruptcy and tropical diseases" is my plan for the summer.

These days, we can do that while working from home!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Mano posted:

I grew up near the border between Switzerland and France. The grandmother of a friend had the border running through her kitchen.

Don't ask me what they did during the world wars.

You know that sitcom trope where they divide the living space in half?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

why would you give Delaware to Pennsylvania instead of Maryland which almost completely surrounds it

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

And why give NYC statehood when there's at least two other better candidates that need it (DC, PR)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Alaois posted:

why would you give Delaware to Pennsylvania instead of Maryland which almost completely surrounds it

Delaware used to be part of Pennsylvania it was never part of Maryland.