Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Doctor Zero posted:

:perfect: This gives me chills.

Zog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Is that a yes or a no?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Jedit posted:

Is that a yes or a no?

ZOG!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

VideoGames posted:

It suddenly occurred to me mid-episode 2 when I realised I had not seen G-Kar or Londo and even though I missed them, I appreciated that a big station would have a lot going on and not everybody magically needs to be involved in everything. I have not seen many shows do that.

Also I began using a pen and paper to note things down rather than trying to remember at the end and I think that so far Parliament of Dreams is my favourite for a number of reasons.

1-5 Parliament of Dreams

This opening was amazing and I could not help but crease at:
"This is Ambassador G'Kar's quarters. This is Ambassador G'Kar's table. This is Ambassador G'Kar's dinner. Which part of this progression escapes you?"

Like Londo I am not sure how I am supposed to feel about G-Kar and that is a great thing. All too often aliens races in fiction are good or bad with the outliers being the ones that we focus our tales upon but that is not the portrayal we get here.

Born to the Purple and this episode show that all our ambassadors are multi-layered, Londo, G-Kar and Delenn having quite large secrets they do not want others to know would normally signify that we cannot trust them but this is not how we feel because we have seen enough of them to know that they are not easily defined in such terms as good and bad.

I like that there are obviously large backstories informing the actions of people here and excited that I am going to experience it! For example I have not forgotten that one of the Babylon stations just vanished for no reason. I love stories that involve something huge of that nature and am hoping that it does get expanded upon in the future!

Having the setting be each culture's religious ceremonies was great for a multitude of reason, mostly because of how appropriate they feel to the characters we have seen. The Centauri ceremony looks jolly and raucous but I cannot help but feel there is also an underlying insecurity there which marries up with what I have seen so far of Londo.

Also he was just as funny as G-Kar in that whole scene and a joy. I am not sure yet who I would call my favourite between him and G-Kar but they are both front runners.

I had been reading the pronounciation of Lennier's voice all wrong! And his scene with Delenn opened up more questions! She is definitely the most intriguing especially, if I remember correctly from episode 1 (? please correct me), the Minbari just stopped fighting against the Humans during their big war.

Na-toth is ace. Seriously ace.

I really liked the big bug too. It could have been goofy but the set, the lighting and the way G-Kar act made it believable.

Finally that very last scene with Sinclair showing all of Earth's religions was beautiful. If that is not an inspiring and uplifting bit of TV then I do not know what is. I really needed that and I am willing to bet that the clothes of everyone not introduced was wearing was just as accurate as those we learned the names of. I get that feeling about this show; that it cares about details even if not everyone will pick them up.

I am going to try to watch another two today :)

:3:

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Q_res posted:

I think, in retrospect, the point where Lennier starts actually going downhill is that bar scene with Marcus. It's not romantic love as you'd understand it, it's a nobler, purer love. But I understand that she is fated for another. That's when he really started turning into a printer carrying "nice" guy.

Yeah that's mid s3 if I recall. It started small until he went full incel. To paraphrase Londo, big incel grew energy from small incel attitude.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I"ve been living under a rock for the past few months and I've missed the blind read thread, it's so good. Also I'm partly glad I'm not a first time watcher because for some stupid reason the SA mobile app ignores spoiler tags entirely.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Right, I'll go get the bucket.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Can everyone please SHUT THE gently caress UP in the Blind Thread? I'm already getting sick of people dropping in "clever" allusions and contextless quotes and "I'm not confirming your guess but" posts. Pick has already basically spoiled that the disappearance of B4 will become relevant.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Angry Lobster posted:

I"ve been living under a rock for the past few months and I've missed the blind read thread, it's so good. Also I'm partly glad I'm not a first time watcher because for some stupid reason the SA mobile app ignores spoiler tags entirely.

Only if you have enabled the relevant option in the settings. Spoiler blocks work fine for me.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sorry, that's fair. I think knowing it's a show that fires every single one of its chekovs guns is ok though, it's not like anyone is saying when in the 100+ eps it happens.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Spoilers are bad, even more for B5, where everything referenced or said during earlier episodes has an impact later and is not forgotten.
The religions scene had such an impact on me that I honestly couldn't stop watching and ended up binging.
Otoh it led to me watching while working and doing home stuff so I actually don't remember s2 that well. Also introduction of sheridan might have led to partial amnesia

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Jedit posted:

Only if you have enabled the relevant option in the settings. Spoiler blocks work fine for me.

Jesus Christ, I'm dumb, don't remember ever enabling that option. Thank you.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

sebmojo posted:

Sorry, that's fair. I think knowing it's a show that fires every single one of its chekovs guns is ok though, it's not like anyone is saying when in the 100+ eps it happens.

Except it doesn't fire all Chekov's guns, especially the ones involving Talia. Which is kind of ironic, considering that Ironheart's gift was given in the first episode with Walter Koenig.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

~talia :smith:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

TraderStav posted:

And we will be waiting here for you.

Though it take us another two thousand years

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Something that was brought up in the blind watch thread. I think the economic use of characters is certainly one of B5's strengths, especially when you compare it to contemporaries. How much better would Deanna Troy have been if she had only appeared when her services were needed, instead of sitting on the bridge all day without doing anything but saying "I have a bad feeling" when poo poo is obviously going to get serious? What about Wesley Crusher needlessly piloting the Enterprise?

Instead, Franklin shows up when there's a medical issue, or when the command staff is meeting, either in official capacity, or as a group of friends. And when the plotline is connected to his personal interests. I like that a lot.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

In that thread where people were talking about the Amiga toasters I thought I'd idly throw in 'watch Tim's Vermeer' to see what the tech guy behind it did with his bucks, before realising that that's definitely too close to random spoiler discussion.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Though it take us another two thousand years

You know, I finally truly understand the Vorlons and Shadows. Watching the new viewers in that thread and wanting to jump in there and help out is excruciating.

e: OMG that would be so meta if we all come in when they get to the middle of S4 and disrupt the thread only to get ordered out by the OP. :allears:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Doctor Zero posted:

You know, I finally truly understand the Vorlons and Shadows. Watching the new viewers in that thread and wanting to jump in there and help out is excruciating.

e: OMG that would be so meta if we all come in when they get to the middle of S4 and disrupt the thread only to get ordered out by the OP. :allears:

We should be allowed to post Vorlonishly in the thread to give them a proper B5 experience :pseudo:.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

We should be allowed to post Vorlonishly in the thread to give them a proper B5 experience :pseudo:.

Yeah the problem is you start with innocuous stuff like that and then in about six hours you end up with poo poo like what got posted in reply to the Babylon 4 speculation earlier because nerds are physically unable to play smirking “I KNOW MORE THAN YOU” dickwaving games about media properties.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Midjack posted:

Yeah the problem is you start with innocuous stuff like that and then in about six hours you end up with poo poo like what got posted in reply to the Babylon 4 speculation earlier because nerds are physically unable to play smirking “I KNOW MORE THAN YOU” dickwaving games about media properties.

I know, and I wasn't serious about it for that exact reason. There's a reason I used the :pseudo: emote.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
The avalanche has already started. It's too late for the pebbles to vote...

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I really like Kosh.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

I really like Kosh.

Kosh Classic, or Cherry Kosh?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

MonsieurChoc posted:

I really like Kosh.

Everybody likes Kosh.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Did you know Kosh has a last name?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Jedit posted:

Can everyone please SHUT THE gently caress UP in the Blind Thread? I'm already getting sick of people dropping in "clever" allusions and contextless quotes and "I'm not confirming your guess but" posts. Pick has already basically spoiled that the disappearance of B4 will become relevant.

It sounds like one of the readers got spoiled on that (again) by listening to the podcast.

S1 spoils itself sometimes. It isn't always about what happens, but why and in what context. That said, I heartily endorse people getting the urge to post out of their systems here and not there. There's more shows now with narrative arcs than when B5 first aired, but finding one which sticks the landing is still very difficult.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Did you know Kosh has a last name?

Naranek or something like that as I recall. Can't be bothered to look it up at the moment. :effort:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

jng2058 posted:

Naranek or something like that as I recall. Can't be bothered to look it up at the moment. :effort:

Kosh Classic was Naranek and Cherry Kosh was Ulesh.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Midjack posted:

Kosh Classic was Naranek and Cherry Kosh was Ulesh.

Ulkesh

But it doesn't really matter. We are all Kosh.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Kosh Amalek

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Doctor Zero posted:

Ulkesh

But it doesn't really matter. We are all Kosh.

:hai:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

I really like Kosh.

Too much of a hassle, I just use a kord.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

I really didn’t think we talked about B4 showing up on the podcast before it does, we did try to avoid spoilers wherever we could. Sorry.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jedit posted:

Yeah, seriously, y'all. Stop being cute.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Yeah. Don't ruin it.

Just start rewatching the series yet again, like me.

I haven't seen The Gathering in like 15 years or so, because none of my season boxes or movie boxes have it.
First impressions: The beginning is really exposition heavy and feels more like independent station, than an actual Earth outpost.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Cartagia Delennda Est

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Can we at least talk about things they should've keep in from The Gathering?

- Those long side handle space laser rifles were amazing and I always hated how their later "rifle" power weapons were just stock rifle designs with bits of wire and metal in weird places. At least the PPGs had a nice form factor to them.

- Vorlons shaking hands with people, using hands to pick up stuff.

- The odd extra minbari face bones

- Wasn't there just a vacuum cleaner or something with some decals on it as set dressing?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Timby posted:

Yeah, seriously, y'all. Stop being cute.

I'm hitting Report on every loving moron who decides to pass comment now, even if it's a deflection. Do people not understand that thread is not for us?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

Jedit posted:

I'm hitting Report on every loving moron who decides to pass comment now, even if it's a deflection. Do people not understand that thread is not for us?

ALL THESE THREADS ARE OURS, EXCEPT THAT ONE

ATTEMPT NO POSTING THERE.