Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

When I've used a pan for steam generation I usually just put a towel over the handle (or a pot holder I guess). That way I know it's hot and don't accidentally burn myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Finally worked out my starter/levain demons and got proper rise out of my first dough attempt.

I'm following this recipe: https://basicswithbabish.co/basicsepisodes/sourdough-bread

I shaped the dough into oval bannetons, but when I put it into the dutch oven to back, it flattened out into a circle. Where did I go wrong? In order to not waste the other half of the dough I tossed the other loaf into a pullman pan to bake.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

CrazyLittle posted:

Finally worked out my starter/levain demons and got proper rise out of my first dough attempt.

I'm following this recipe: https://basicswithbabish.co/basicsepisodes/sourdough-bread

I shaped the dough into oval bannetons, but when I put it into the dutch oven to back, it flattened out into a circle. Where did I go wrong? In order to not waste the other half of the dough I tossed the other loaf into a pullman pan to bake.

I am a relative novice but it could be a few things, more experienced people please correct me if I’m wrong:

Overproofed-was your kitchen very warm? If so, the bulk on the counter could have reached the over fermented stage and your dough will be very hard to work with and will have less rise. This seems unlikely looking at that recipe.

Folding- did you do a good job getting in good stretch and folds during the bulk? Your particular temp/humidity/flour/levain may need more folding on the process.

Shaping - did you over work the dough? You can do too much shaping which will rupture what is essentially a thin gluten membrane on the outside of your would be-boule. Particularly vulnerable to this in the tightening step part of this where you are creating tension by pulling it across the bench.

Shaping 2 - actually not doing enough to provide structure to your shaped loaf. It’s a tightrope to walk with some of these.

https://youtu.be/vEG1BjWroT0

This is a good video for handling the dough correctly to get the shape and texture you want out of your boule/batard. If you feel like you have these steps down, it’s a fermentation issue most likely

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I did a thing foodbod recommends and ordered a pack of disposable clear "shower bonnets" from Amazon. They are wonderful for covering rising bowls. No more trying to get the plastic wrap to stick to the sides of the bowl, reusable if you rinse them, transparent so you can see how high it's risen.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I did a thing foodbod recommends and ordered a pack of disposable clear "shower bonnets" from Amazon. They are wonderful for covering rising bowls. No more trying to get the plastic wrap to stick to the sides of the bowl, reusable if you rinse them, transparent so you can see how high it's risen.

That’s so good, thanks for the heads up

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Are there some particular bread styles that contain eggs but not fat? I have a bunch of stuff that might have fat without eggs, but not vice versa.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Time posted:

Shaping 2 - actually not doing enough to provide structure to your shaped loaf. It’s a tightrope to walk with some of these.

https://youtu.be/vEG1BjWroT0

This is a good video for handling the dough correctly to get the shape and texture you want out of your boule/batard. If you feel like you have these steps down, it’s a fermentation issue most likely

I never get it to move like this when I move dough around with my bench knife. It doesn't roll over like that.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

Chad Sexington posted:

I never get it to move like this when I move dough around with my bench knife. It doesn't roll over like that.

Too much flour on the counter?

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

CrazyLittle posted:

I think wth this recipe the likely cause is your shaping, especially if it’s your first time baking bread. Either that or you took too long between tipping the dough out and getting it into the oven. You can practice shaping by using a towel and practicing the motions. Just remember your aim is to create a taut surface so that when you tip it out it doesn’t immediately deflate. How did your Dutch oven loaf turn out? If you got a good rise during your bake then you’re on the right track with everything else at least.

I baked a Instagram loaf the other day. The colour is from butterfly pea flower tea, it doesn’t add any flavour but just makes for a cool-looking loaf.

e: and in case you may think I know what I'm doing, the loaf I made after this one was a 87% hydration dough that stick to the liner when I tipped it out. I spent about 10 minutes unsticking it, by which time it had pancaked. Otherwise, it probably would've been fine if it hadn't stuck, oven spring is a saviour.

yoshesque fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jun 4, 2020

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

dedian posted:

Too much flour on the counter?

Clean counter!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
80% extraction red fife but I’ll work the bran back in

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

other then making some lovely rasin bran or some bran muffins, what're other uses for it?

I stopped sifting my fresh ground because so much was just going into the compost and just do the 50%bread and 50% WG.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

other then making some lovely rasin bran or some bran muffins, what're other uses for it?

I stopped sifting my fresh ground because so much was just going into the compost and just do the 50%bread and 50% WG.

You can use it to dust with, prevent from sticking, put under a pizza dough. But I just work it back in later. Bran interferes with the gluten development so sifting out, doing some kneading and fermentation, then working back in lets you keep a full-extraction flour without as many of the downsides as working with 100% whole wheat.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Time posted:

yoshesque posted:

I think wth this recipe the likely cause is your shaping,

I think this is it - didn't shape it properly. I didn't get that "skin" tension when I was trying to shape the loaf to put in the banneton.

Here's the dutch oven loaf:

Pullman loaf turned out good though:

Both loaves came out tasty - the dutch loaf had a nice crunch to it, and the dough was a bit chewy and moist. Maybe I'm just used to store-bought breads which are thoroughly dry, or maybe cutting into the loaf while it was cool but not cold was too early? *shrug*

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 4, 2020

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Milk Bread:

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

RoastBeef posted:

Milk Bread:

That’s the ticket.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Post an animated gif of you pushing down on the top of a section and it just inflating right back into place like nothing happened.

(My mom particularly has been playing with that Hokkaido milk bread and it was a real nail biter the first time we tried that, but it totally bounced back.)

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

RoastBeef posted:

Milk Bread:

This will go great with my milk steak.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Another day another Dutch oven sourdough loaf.

What do you guys do to minimize scorching on the bottom? This one should have been out a few min earlier (still dialing in the temp on my poo poo apt stove) but this is a constant even on lower temps.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Post an animated gif of you pushing down on the top of a section and it just inflating right back into place like nothing happened.

(My mom particularly has been playing with that Hokkaido milk bread and it was a real nail biter the first time we tried that, but it totally bounced back.)

https://i.imgur.com/3jLRNzm.gifv

That is wild.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

Another day another Dutch oven sourdough loaf.

What do you guys do to minimize scorching on the bottom? This one should have been out a few min earlier (still dialing in the temp on my poo poo apt stove) but this is a constant even on lower temps.

What temperature are you at?

I've stopped preheating my dutch oven and I usually line it with parchment paper when I drop in my dough, which seems to help. That's usually just to prevent the bottom being super thick and hard. Never seen a scorch like that.

You could also put a cookie sheet between the heating element and your dutch oven.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Mine can get like that when I oil the dutch oven before I put it away and forget to wipe it out good before bread. And I do preheat the dutch oven, to 550, with no issues in general.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Can we use images in thread titles yet?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Oh yeah I should have been clear. That’s a cold oven loaf. Preheat (real) oven, take Dutch oven out of the fridge where it’s been hanging out for the last day, put it in the heat with the lid on.

Parchment paper under the dough. The Dutch oven could probably use a clean but it hasn’t been used for anything but baking in at least a month. It’s pretty clean.

Edit: gas stove if it matters. I’ll try a pan on a lower rack next time.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I don't know if that's what caused the scorching, but the point of a cold oven loaf is that you don't preheat the oven. The dough and the pan go into a cold oven, and the slow rise to full heat gives you a final bit of rise.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I don't know if that's what caused the scorching, but the point of a cold oven loaf is that you don't preheat the oven. The dough and the pan go into a cold oven, and the slow rise to full heat gives you a final bit of rise.
I fundamentally disagree. A cold dough is used because it 1) gets a more sour flavor from a longer ferment and allows for much more flexible baking scheudles 2) is easier to handle, especially with higher hydration dough and scoring. The thermal mass of a loaf will have nothing on the oven/stone/cast iron's mass. The amount of rise is determined in the first ten minutes before the yeast get smoked, good ol' gad expansion, and a crust can form. The yeast won't do anything meaningful as the loaf raises temp from 37 degrees to 77 in the oven.

Put it on a higher rack if possible too. I've never worked with a cold baking vessel out of the fridge but that seems odd to me.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I fundamentally disagree. A cold dough is used because it 1) gets a more sour flavor from a longer ferment and allows for much more flexible baking scheudles 2) is easier to handle, especially with higher hydration dough and scoring. The thermal mass of a loaf will have nothing on the oven/stone/cast iron's mass. The amount of rise is determined in the first ten minutes before the yeast get smoked, good ol' gad expansion, and a crust can form. The yeast won't do anything meaningful as the loaf raises temp from 37 degrees to 77 in the oven.

Put it on a higher rack if possible too. I've never worked with a cold baking vessel out of the fridge but that seems odd to me too.

cold dough != cold oven

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

oh well then I can't read well I was thinking cold oven and loaf from cold oven loaf

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The bottom of my loaves got a ton better when I used the baking pan trick and dropped the heat from 475 to 450.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Democratic Pirate posted:

The bottom of my loaves got a ton better when I used the baking pan trick and dropped the heat from 475 to 450.

Yeah I got the same result, they improved a lot just doing those things.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

What's the baking pan trick?

Ironically, I've realized that my oven runs low, and I'm getting better results setting the oven higher by 25 degrees.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

What's the baking pan trick?

Ironically, I've realized that my oven runs low, and I'm getting better results setting the oven higher by 25 degrees.

Baking pan/pizza stone/whatever on the bottom rack. Dutch oven on top. Slows the heating of the bottom of the pot by the bottom burners/elements, in theory.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I’m trying a couple of sourdough loafs in regular tin loaf pans. Anyone have some suggestions on cooking temp and time? Just ballpark this is pure experiment.

Roughly 450 gram loaf.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

I’m trying a couple of sourdough loafs in regular tin loaf pans. Anyone have some suggestions on cooking temp and time? Just ballpark this is pure experiment.

Roughly 450 gram loaf.

For lean dough in loaf pans I do 400F til it's at least 205F in the middle

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

mediaphage posted:

For lean dough in loaf pans I do 400F til it's at least 205F in the middle

works for me.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
My scale was damaged in my move so I I guess this is a good time to upgrade. Is this the go-to or are there better ones?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VEKX35Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_3eS2EbNYQ89KY

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Kumera bread time my dudes!

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

cheese eats mouse posted:

My scale was damaged in my move so I I guess this is a good time to upgrade. Is this the go-to or are there better ones?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VEKX35Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_3eS2EbNYQ89KY

I've had this one for years with no issues.

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-1157100-...e-garden&sr=1-2

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Jestery posted:

Kumera bread time my dudes!

I feel like there are pictures missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Huxley posted:

I've had this one for years with no issues.

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-1157100-...e-garden&sr=1-2

Ha that’s the current one that broke. But ya it was good for years and years. Wish it came in stainless