Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Cooked Auto posted:

If you like matched play in 40k and curious about how it's going to look in 9th, then this update is for you!
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/06/03/warhammer-40000-matched-play-points-and-an-appgw-homepage-post-1

Also talks about how the points system has been revised somewhat. Pretty sure the mention that costs are going to be raised are going to make some people see red despite the reasoning why.

If people don't want me to keep doing these then just tell me.

Nah, it's a good thing you do, keep on keeping on. :tipshat:

ITCing the missions and increased granularity is all to the good. It'll let them fix some points oddities, like Conscripts and Guardsmen costing the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Corrode posted:

I'm super excited for everything here. 9th looks like an enormous improvement on 8th.

Extremely same

ffoecaf
Sep 17, 2005

Get Off My Lawn

Cooked Auto posted:

Also talks about how the points system has been revised somewhat. Pretty sure the mention that costs are going to be raised are going to make some people see red despite the reasoning why.

Bet 3k points will be the new 2k points. New mission looks nice and we get to see command points totals

This also looks like they might be trying to make Matched more for competitive games instead of basically all games like it is now, and Crusade be the standard for casual games

ffoecaf fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jun 3, 2020

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I fully expect some people to simply raise the points cap for their games as a response to increased costs just so they can retain the same feeling of shuffling around a lot of models and have matches take several hours because that's how it always has been gawddangit.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I'm kinda sad that a 2000 point game gives me less CP than the double battalion I'm currently using. And suddenly hoping that more detachments are free if you don't branch factions because having to choose between CP and more Commanders is going to suck.

If that does happen :rip: again to GSC.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is the Warhound Titan from Forgeworld the same model that used for Adeptus Titanicus?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Hmm. Looking at it, that's actually fewer CP than I was expecting, particularly if you have to buy allies with CP and the like. I wonder if they kept the limit on CP generating abilities and relics?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Remember, they also talk about generating new CP in the command phase. Could be instead of start with all your CP, it’s start with this much, then get more every turn.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Throw me into the group that is surprisingly excited for 9th. I wanted to like 8th but there were too many little things I didn't like. It's like they picked every single thing that bugged me and fixed it, down to the Primaris not having bikers. I've been bitching about that since Primaris were first released.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is the Warhound Titan from Forgeworld the same model that used for Adeptus Titanicus?

Pretty sure that the AT models are, in some cases, downsized FW models. I think that came up in the Goonhammer interview with one of the people formerly involved with AT but I might be wrong on that point.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Cooked Auto posted:

Pretty sure that the AT models are, in some cases, downsized FW models. I think that came up in the Goonhammer interview with one of the people formerly involved with AT but I might be wrong on that point.

40k versions are all resin and on average cost several mortgage payments. AT models are 1/4 the size and virtually all plastic.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

There

xtothez posted:

40k versions are all resin and on average cost several mortgage payments. AT models are 1/4 the size and virtually all plastic.

There is also that yes. I must've misread the question then.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I think the increased points cost is good and the new mission stuff looks good.

I think it really reflects that with 8e they stripped out all the complications, then realised actually you can strip out too much. Probably the best way to do it to be honest, hard to get the balance between simplicity and depth right first time (or 8th time lol).

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

jng2058 posted:

Unless you're taking Las Fusils on those Eliminators, I don't think you have enough anti-tank. Basically you have the Smash Captain and that's it. Granted, in a 1k game, you probably won't see too many vehicles or monsters, but just a couple could mess you up.

Therefore, of the two choices, I'd take the Aggressors. You already have the Eliminators who can shoot at hidden targets, so you won't need Thunderfire to root out hidden troops. The Aggressors can at least punch tanks, so if something happens to Smashy you aren't completely screwed against high Toughness targets.

Tell me you at least took some Missile Launchers on the Scouts, right?

if it changes anything i know at least two of the three possible lists i might be fighting have no tanks, its basically infantry heavy space wolves or sisters, or it could be some kind of ork list that may have tanks

are missile launchers worth taking? i've only played 2 games so im still new to it

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Cooked Auto posted:

You're correct, it was the James Hewitt interview. They downscaled them in a mad way too, a guy measured everything on the model and then coded it all into a text editor or something bananas like that. You can see the difference between the Reaver and the Warbringer - the Warbringer model is noticeably differently constructed at 6mm compared to 28mm, whereas the Reaver is virtually identical.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Corrode posted:

You're correct, it was the James Hewitt interview. They downscaled them in a mad way too, a guy measured everything on the model and then coded it all into a text editor or something bananas like that. You can see the difference between the Reaver and the Warbringer - the Warbringer model is noticeably differently constructed at 6mm compared to 28mm, whereas the Reaver is virtually identical.

Apparently had to because the Reaver and Warlord hadn't been orginially designed in CAD or anything. They'd just been hand-sculpted by whichever Forgeworld guy made them, I forget. So there was nothing to work with. The Warhound was done more modernly, and so the AT team had something better to work with (I may be confusing the Warlord and Warhound here, but the gist is one had files to scale down, the other didn't).

Also, something super interesting is that the Nemesis came about because of AT, not the other way around. They wanted an intermediate Titan between the Reaver and the Warlord, decided to make it the Nemesis. Which they then designed at 40k scale first, to release there, and then scaled it down afterwards for AT. From an interview that Hewitt just did with the Full Stride podcast. Interesting to see that there's some back and forth like that within the design teams.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Communist Thoughts posted:

if it changes anything i know at least two of the three possible lists i might be fighting have no tanks, its basically infantry heavy space wolves or sisters, or it could be some kind of ork list that may have tanks

are missile launchers worth taking? i've only played 2 games so im still new to it

Missile Launchers and I have a long and frustrating history. They should be good. Nearly as good at anti-tank as a lascannon but able to get bunch of shots against hordes. And yet they never seem to be as valuable as I think they should be. I dunno, it could just be bad dice and negativity bias and the fact that my MLs often end up on units away from my castle and thus don't benefit from re-rolls, but they just seem to disappoint in 8th for some reason. Still, they're the only heavy weapons that can easily slot in to your army as you have it now. :shrug:

And I would still worry about anti-tank, even given your opponents. Ork Killa Kans could be troublesome, as could some of those choppy Sisters' walkers. And it's been a long time since I've seen a Space Wolf list without Bjorn.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

The problem with power level as is any nerd kid old enough to even try warhammer is going to realize there are units which are significantly better with more gear, and the gear is costing nothing.

For me, having a few breakpoints or loadouts for PL feels like the direction it should go, but I also think there can be a more elegant solution. (I'm no game designer.) Maaaybe they should just create two distinct editions of 40k...something like oldschool D&D vs. AD&D. The big doorstopper book and all its stuff is there for the old fans, then the other version is for new players or youngsters. Call it 40k journey edition or something.

Make all the rules for journey edition pretty simple (something close to 8th), and have units with standard loadouts and associated power levels. Everything is move/shoot/fight. General modifiers for terrain types/cover. Keep it super tight and indeed give these rules away for free in PDF form. Maybe offer a soft back print version essentially at cost.

Focus 40k journey on narrative play with light allusions to competitive and keep its development separate from 40k, just with the idea that the general rule set gives a baseline understanding of the full version. This is strictly the kid walks into a store version or daddy/non gamer friend version. Said newcomers to the hobby can always move on to the hardcore version later, and probably will as their armies, desire for complexity, and desire for competition grow.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

jng2058 posted:

Missile Launchers and I have a long and frustrating history. They should be good. Nearly as good at anti-tank as a lascannon but able to get bunch of shots against hordes. And yet they never seem to be as valuable as I think they should be. I dunno, it could just be bad dice and negativity bias and the fact that my MLs often end up on units away from my castle and thus don't benefit from re-rolls, but they just seem to disappoint in 8th for some reason. Still, they're the only heavy weapons that can easily slot in to your army as you have it now. :shrug:

And I would still worry about anti-tank, even given your opponents. Ork Killa Kans could be troublesome, as could some of those choppy Sisters' walkers. And it's been a long time since I've seen a Space Wolf list without Bjorn.

thanks i've gone with the aggressors and the orky guy has gone with massed mek guns, lootas and flash gitz. however it shakes out this is gonna be carnage

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Gameko posted:

The problem with power level as is any nerd kid old enough to even try warhammer is going to realize there are units which are significantly better with more gear, and the gear is costing nothing.

For me, having a few breakpoints or loadouts for PL feels like the direction it should go, but I also think there can be a more elegant solution. (I'm no game designer.) Maaaybe they should just create two distinct editions of 40k...something like oldschool D&D vs. AD&D. The big doorstopper book and all its stuff is there for the old fans, then the other version is for new players or youngsters. Call it 40k journey edition or something.

Make all the rules for journey edition pretty simple (something close to 8th), and have units with standard loadouts and associated power levels. Everything is move/shoot/fight. General modifiers for terrain types/cover. Keep it super tight and indeed give these rules away for free in PDF form. Maybe offer a soft back print version essentially at cost.

Focus 40k journey on narrative play with light allusions to competitive and keep its development separate from 40k, just with the idea that the general rule set gives a baseline understanding of the full version. This is strictly the kid walks into a store version or daddy/non gamer friend version. Said newcomers to the hobby can always move on to the hardcore version later, and probably will as their armies, desire for complexity, and desire for competition grow.

Congrats you've just reinvented the three ways to play

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Communist Thoughts posted:

thanks i've gone with the aggressors and the orky guy has gone with massed mek guns, lootas and flash gitz. however it shakes out this is gonna be carnage

Good luck! Come back and tell us how it went!

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
I'm sorry. I cannot take this edition seriously.

We have literally entered the Brony age of Warhammer 40,000.

This is the fething Brony edition.

Look at all of these bright and cheery cartoons and bubble text to announce all of this.

Feth this!

the swear filter is a bit of a giveaway tbh

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
And we have now entered in true grog sky is falling mode.

You can never please grogs.

I welcome our new era of set CP values happily.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Pommand Coints

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Imagine taking Warhammer so seriously that fun cartoons to hype up the new edition would destroy you.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Gameko posted:

This is like a super complicated solution for "Don't play narrative games with people who are going to not play in that spirit of things".

Let me put it another way.

Let's say we are playing a campaign, and it's order vs chaos where the players have to arrange games between themselves and record them, and we tally up the victories and that is who is winning the war. The Grey Knights player comes up to you, and you're a daemon player. It's the last match in this section of the campaign to determine which side is winning the war. He says "Hey, lets do a game where I'm trying to stop your demonic ritual!" and pulls out PA: RotD and suggests you play the Stop the Ritual mission from that book.

GK vs Daemons is obviously a bad match up for Daemons, what's more he builds his list and includes brother Captain Stern, because he is actually in the RotD story line in the book and he's the go-to brother-captain for these sort of daemonic strikes. Stern is usually a sub-par choice over a normal brother-captain, but he's better against daemons by a long shot thanks to his special psychic power.

If you're going into such a campaign with an attitude that means you'd refuse to play the guy with your daemons "because it's unfair" or think the game is going to be rubbish because he's taking choices tailored to daemons, you're not really entering into it with the right attitude.

I really don't see why we'd need to have separate rule sets when this is all in people's heads, and mechanically there's not really anything wrong.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

The Deleter posted:

Imagine taking Warhammer so seriously that fun cartoons to hype up the new edition would destroy you.

Imagine thinking GW would actually fill their codices and supplements with cute community-style art.

That's more new art than they'd ever commission for such a thing.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I feel like the "kind" art somewhat hosed Wrath and Glory, but that RPG had problems from the start.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

The Deleter posted:

loving fake warhammer fans probably don't even know about the slam sector

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Improbable Lobster posted:

Is that a butthole?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

Knowledge of the horrors of the Slam Sector is not given out lightly. :colbert:

Deified Data posted:

Imagine thinking GW would actually fill their codices and supplements with cute community-style art.

That's more new art than they'd ever commission for such a thing.

Putting some of that art into the rulebook, for examples or something, would be pretty fun imo.

ffoecaf
Sep 17, 2005

Get Off My Lawn

Kitchner posted:

This is like a super complicated solution for "Don't play narrative games with people who are going to not play in that spirit of things".

Especially when it's just as easy to say pregame 'this is my 50PL Crusade army. It's also 995 points' and if the other person's is 50pl and 1100 points adjust things accordingly.

Sure the upgrades and downgrades characters get throughout the campaign will change things a little bit, but it also sounds like there's stuff in there to balance Crusade things when you play a non-Crusade or less experienced army.

But I don't think it will be a huge problem for narrative. My friends did a campaign where taking territory gave you points and we would regularly have differences of 100-200 points and it was still a lot of fun

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
The end of grimdark has come, and I am hugely fuckin’ here for it.

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

Given that it's narrative, you also don't have to start in neutral. There's the opportunity to come up with ways to give one army advantages over another if it doesn't seem balanced head to head

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Has there been any indication of bloat reduction and or things that increase the speed of the game? Those are my, and most of the people I play with, main irritations with 8th.

I understand why they do it, but bloatwise having all the old codexes/PA’s/Vigilus/white dwarf still work in 9th certainly isn’t helping much on the bloat front. Is the expectation that the new codexes will replace all previous rules for a faction on once they come out?

I don’t really believe increasing the points does much with regards to speed, unless they double all units points costs or something. In my experience 1750 and 2000 play almost identically, even 1500 to 2000 doesn’t make a huge difference. They added a new phase, which granted seems just be doing things that were in other phases before so I guess it won’t take much more time, but is there any indication of removing excessive rerolls or simplifying things?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Points going up is such a blessing

My poor guardsmen might actually see the table again

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I feel a strong urge to start building a Custodes force. This would be my second ever 40k army, after my Primaris Ultramarines. I know that they're not "good" in the way that my blue boys are, but I really like their lore and look.

Is playing Custodes in casual games going to be like playing on hard mode? I know they aren't regarded as being very competitive.

What units would you guys start with? I'm thinking of Valoris, a bunch of Custodian Guards and some Vertus Praetors, maybe some Allarus Custodians too. That, and several barrels of Retributor Armour paint.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 3, 2020

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Has there been any indication of bloat reduction and or things that increase the speed of the game? Those are my, and most of the people I play with, main irritations with 8th.

They've been implying that the new app will have some functionality to help with rules, but have been very vague on the details so far. At the very least it sounds like it'll get all the points updates automatically, so who knows what'll happen to Chapter Approved.

GW also said that anyone buying a physical 9E codex would also receive a digital copy too, which could plausibly be updated after FAQs etc.

Gunder posted:

I feel a strong urge to start building a Custodes force. This would be my second ever 40k army, after my Primaris Ultramarines. I know that they're not "good" in the way that my blue boys are, but I really like their lore and look.

Is playing Custodes in casual games going to be like playing on hard mode? I know they aren't regarded as being very competitive.

The only time I've played against Custodes was in a small 500-750pt escalation game, and they were pretty tough.

They're also due to get updated rules in the next Psychic Awakening book, which I'd expect to see later this month.

xtothez fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 3, 2020

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

O vanity of Sleep, Hope, Dream, endless Desire,
The Horses of Disaster plunge in the heavy clay
Vertus Praetors are cool and good and if you enjoy having to sell your children so is the Caladius Grav-Tank. IMO alot of the cooler custodes stuff is locked behind the forgeworld price wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
Has anyone heard any news about when Forgeworld will be coming back online?