Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah paying for a Zoom licence suddenly makes it impossible to organise criminal activity.

Sort of seems like a protection racket to me but what do I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Not a good sign:

https://twitter.com/Communications/status/1268233544066883585

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

Jose posted:

idk if anyone is using zoom for anything important but they're cops

https://twitter.com/NicoAGrant/status/1268020841054269440?s=20

And even if you're using encryption on their platform, they generate and hold the keys for you so they can just decrypt them anyway.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jose posted:

Lol just had a notification on my phone the BBC have identified a new suspect in the Maddie McCann case
Speaking of late 90s nostalgia that created a bunch of insufferable fans, is it some Puerto Rican guy?

Spangly A posted:

hamsterdam is just localised decrim and "aight so now what", there's plenty of evidence to say it'd be vastly superior to the war on drugs. Switzerland's weird "please only do heroin with clean needles in this park, also the heroin is free, thanks" is where any such program actually ends up if you plan to meet the addicts needs before you slam them all into one street, and that had unparalleled recovery rates. Also Marks' liverpool clinic. Also, some localised parts of the Portuguese "gently caress it, do what works" program.
Yeah you need safe spaces and medical grade drugs. And an ideal end goal would be not only harm reduction of the individual in terms of their route of administration, polydrug use, and social patterns, but moving towards safer drugs like David Nutt is trying with synthehol, and like what happened here in what I've titled alan-johnson-death-toll.png

It could just be correlation, but a ton of people moving from lovely cut cocaine to a legal drug about 1/8th as harmful [Drug harms in the UK: a multicriteria decision analysis, Lancet 2010; 376: 1558–65] seems to have prevented a whole bunch of deaths.

Antifa: trained by Kurds in Northern Syria to fight fascism in 30s Spain. Time is a flat cube.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Lid posted:

Aye but thats true of all Bunny seasons - Hamsterdam is another idea built on what they think would work but its pie in the sky theorising. It works in the contect of the show.

I recently rewatched season 3, and I don't think this is fair at all. The hamsterdam storyline has some plausibility issues, but more from the policing side and the whole "its a secret" angle. In terms of zones of decriminalisation, and particularly in terms of dramatising how a policing issue can conceivably be reframed as a health & social work issue, it's remarkably sharp and willing to bring in a variety of complications, and certainly isn't a straight forward but of simplistic theorising.
The recent academic and public health approach work on safe injection rooms actually covers some of ground that the wire was examining 15 years ago in the context of a TV drama, which is quite amazing. There's an exploration of issues about access to ancillary servives, about what might happen when lots of vulnerable people are brought together, about how different groups approach it with very different agendas, and I think someone even mentions the public health approach, which was much less common a term in 2004. It's genuinely impressive how much they pack in and try to consider, and still holds up very well

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
And 15 years before that, the C4 miniseries Traffik was talking actual addiction science vs. conservative moralizing.

It's not as good as The Wire, but it did break a path for shows like it by showing the opium grower as a sympathetic farmer but still caught up in some bad poo poo rather than an evil brown drug man, and multiple points of view and arcs from different perspectives of a corrupt system.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Just cooked up the first batch of Apple Pie fudge. It’s amazing and now my house smells absolutely wonderful.

Just thought you guys would want to know :)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Camrath posted:

Just cooked up the first batch of Apple Pie fudge. It’s amazing and now my house smells absolutely wonderful.

Sounds yummy :)

Tonight 9pm:

https://twitter.com/MyArrse/status/1268230622012747777?s=20

I'd watch, but other Dispatches programmes have been problematic so much I love to see any takedown of Spaffer & Cummings, I'll wait to see the various verdicts to decide whether to watch on Catch Up.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Camrath posted:

H*ck yeah!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1268263706728767489

Death cult.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
ukmt sickos :yeshaha:

e: hopefully none of the good MPs were in there tho

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Did they ever decide what they were doing yesterday or is it still going on?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
yeah they voted to abolish the remote voting although I think they may have u turned slightly on completely disenfranchising shielding MPs by giving them a proxy vote

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol if they immediately all get coronavirus because of that stupid vote

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Yes! Yes!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'd really rather if Corbyn, Abbott, McDonnell et al didn't die.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
:rip:

Hope the tory Nos didn't spread it

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

XMNN posted:

yeah they voted to abolish the remote voting although I think they may have u turned slightly on completely disenfranchising shielding MPs by giving them a proxy vote
they can conference call to for debates but no proxy votes AFAIK. that's still for maternity cover only.

pairing is back on since the election happened & the end of minority government. so MPs self isolating aren't in effect screwed out totally since someone from the other side will be taken out to counter the lost vote.
will be a bit hosed if there's a big surge in the number of MPs who can't or refuse to go in and pairing totally breaks down.
between dealing with the pandemic, global recession, and end of Brexit transition without a trade deal I doubt the long overdue expansion of proxy voting could possibly have time to get a look in.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Were they all in the division lobbies or were they queuing everyone together and then doing votes at like a station?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
https://twitter.com/INVESTMENTSHULK/status/1268260728328335362

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Cerv posted:

they can conference call to for debates but no proxy votes AFAIK. that's still for maternity cover only.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jun/03/mps-shielding-from-covid-19-allowed-proxy-vote-in-johnson-u-turn

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Cerv posted:

pairing is back on since the election happened & the end of minority government. so MPs self isolating aren't in effect screwed out totally since someone from the other side will be taken out to counter the lost vote.
will be a bit hosed if there's a big surge in the number of MPs who can't or refuse to go in and pairing totally breaks down.
between dealing with the pandemic, global recession, and end of Brexit transition without a trade deal I doubt the long overdue expansion of proxy voting could possibly have time to get a look in.

considering the utter freak out at empty shelves when coronavirus first hit i'm really curious what the gently caress they think the response will be when its long term

also surprised more tories didn't vote for remote voting when its a long time before the next election for them to get punished for it and its their lives literally on the line

Jose fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 3, 2020

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Cerv posted:

looks like this changed at pmqs (assuming Johnson wasn't just making things up on the fly that he had no intention of doing again obv), although the article says proxy voting and Johnson said remote voting, so no idea what the actual arrangements are

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jun/03/mps-shielding-from-covid-19-allowed-proxy-vote-in-johnson-u-turn

quote:

Boris Johnson has announced a government U-turn to allow MPs who are shielding to vote by proxy following an outcry over the treatment of parliamentarians with medical conditions or those who are looking after vulnerable loved ones during the coronavirus pandemic.

It follows a government move to drop the use of virtual measures in the Commons, as critics including 31 Conservative MPs voted to keep remote tools in place.

On Tuesday, Jacob Rees-Mogg, the leader of the house, declined to endorse a proxy vote system, instead saying that vulnerable MPs could be paired. The government voted down virtual measures and was ridiculed over the “socially distanced conga” of politicians that snaked around parliament waiting to vote.

At prime minister’s questions, Johnson said MPs who were vulnerable would be able to vote remotely.

I'm lolling at the people in the replies to that tweet asking why he came in when he was symptomatic, when unless he had a cough or knew he had a high temperature (and maybe anosmia is also in there now?) then that he wouldn't have needed to under the government guidelines, and it's not like we don't have a ridiculous culture of presenteeism generally and his bosses haven't been saying that if you're not at work then you're not working for the last few days

e:f;b

XMNN fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 3, 2020

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

cheers. totally missed that this afternoon :eng99:

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

And the thing is i bet most of this wont be in the news so anyone outside of London will barely have a clue it's happening unless they're tuned into twitter feeds.

It's the exact same way they'll treat the second corona virus outbreak. They'll simply stop counting or stop reporting the numbers and let enough people just slip back into normality because they know that for most people the virus is a headline in a newspaper happening to someone else.

England isn't going to go back into lockdown, no matter what happens now. The unreported death toll is going to skyrocket while most people move on because it's not directly affecting them and thus they won't really give a poo poo.

I'm just waiting for the inevitable spin on us being quarantined by other countries because they realise we're one of the few places where the virus is still rampant.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Jose posted:

considering the utter freak out at empty shelves when coronavirus first hit i'm really curious what the gently caress they think the response will be when its long term

The cognitive dissonance between the government telling everyone to go back to work and have barbecues while people are simultaneously beating the poo poo out of each other over big roll is going to be unreal

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Kin posted:

And the thing is i bet most of this wont be in the news so anyone outside of London will barely have a clue it's happening unless they're tuned into twitter feeds.

It's the exact same way they'll treat the second corona virus outbreak. They'll simply stop counting or stop reporting the numbers and let enough people just slip back into normality because they know that for most people the virus is a headline in a newspaper happening to someone else.

England isn't going to go back into lockdown, no matter what happens now. The unreported death toll is going to skyrocket while most people move on because it's not directly affecting them and thus they won't really give a poo poo.

I'm just waiting for the inevitable spin on us being quarantined by other countries because they realise we're one of the few places where the virus is still rampant.

If it comes as any consolation there are more protests planned in several cities this weekend. But yeah I'm with you basically; we're all hosed.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

check out what the US paper of record is publishing

https://twitter.com/abrahamjoseph/status/1268263716774195200?s=20

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Jose posted:

The last thing the NYT is ever going to publish will be an op-ed about how it's actually okay that the NYT staff is being herded to a shallow ditch for execution.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the CEO of the NYT, who admittedly isn't in charge of their op/ed pages, is the former BBC director general who tried to stop the saville story and documentaries coming out

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Ms Adequate posted:

I'm not surprised the late 90s especially has a powerful allure for a certain strain of British people; we'd also won the Cold War, there was a sense (deserved or not) that things economically were on the right track, and there was all that Cool Britannia shite where a bunch of people honestly seemed to reckon Spice Girls and Four Weddings and a Funeral heralded an epoch of absolute English cultural dominion worldwide.

It Came From PistonHeads (which currently has an insufferable 'Cool Britannia' reminiscing thread):

quote:

Ah yes, the 90's. I was in my early twenties, bought first house, got my first TVR Griffith (a lovely 4 litre) and really did feel like a rock star. Happy days!

:jerkbag:

quote:

Best time ever in the uk, although we are still paying the price. 1997 to 2007, everything just arrived. Loads of jobs, rampant house price inflation, arrival of Internet and mobiles to the masses, (before any pedants chip in, mobile use exploded in 2000 due to payg). More of everything, more channels on tv, huge expansion of cheap credit, huge interest in cars due to top gear, and the pub scene at the time was superb, great atmosphere etc.

:barf:

And...

quote:

As I mentioned in another thread, my favourite era was probably 2010-2016. For me, it was ‘peak Britain’. See

Cameron and Clegg in charge as a cheerful centrist duo, the economy going great, everyone seemed happy, business was booming again, only a small handful of nutters moaning about the EU, the London Olympics was a huge success, and so on.

All came crashing down after the 2016 referendum and we’ve seemingly been in the gutter ever since.

(Caveat: one person pointed out to me that 2010-2016 were awful years if you were a ‘poor, northern, working class, Labour voter’. So I understand your opinion of this era may vary)

:barf: :barf: :barf:

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
The pub scene in the late 90s was loving shite, every high street had the same eight chain pubs on it and they all looked the same inside and somehow only Wetherspoons and Walkabout survived

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Jose posted:

Chapo are always talking about that guy.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

If anyone wants some homegrown not-uncritically-positive police shows, try The Cops (one of the best openings to any show ever, won two Best Drama BAFTAs, and achieved the always-reliable distinction of having official police advice withdrawn) or The Bill from before it got overly cosy and comfortable in the mid-90s; both have been uploaded to a popular video-sharing website.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

In other news about disastrous handling of COVID-19, the other country that tried the Herd Immunity method admitted that it ballsed it all up.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/coronavirus-sweden-lockdown-cases-anders-tegnell-deaths-a9545746.html

My favourite quote is this one.

quote:

Mr Tegnell said on Wednesday: “If we would encounter the same disease, with exactly what we know about it today, I think we would land midway between what Sweden did and what the rest of the world did.”

So if Sweden had to do it again, they'd do it less like Sweden, but still not do what everyone else did.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

The pub scene in the late 90s was loving shite, every high street had the same eight chain pubs on it and they all looked the same inside and somehow only Wetherspoons and Walkabout survived
We still had all the old pubs around where I was then, all of them closed in the 00s or early 2010s.

There was one chain one on the estate proper that closed in the 80s, was repeatedly smashed up, and finally set on fire in the early 90s and you could see it from the whole estate.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

The Question IRL posted:

In other news about disastrous handling of COVID-19, the other country that tried the Herd Immunity method admitted that it ballsed it all up.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/coronavirus-sweden-lockdown-cases-anders-tegnell-deaths-a9545746.html

My favourite quote is this one.

So if Sweden had to do it again, they'd do it less like Sweden, but still not do what everyone else did.

You know of all the countries, I never would have guessed Sweden would be the one to go full blast for the insane herd immunity strategy

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

ThomasPaine posted:

You know of all the countries, I never would have guessed Sweden would be the one to go full blast for the insane herd immunity strategy

Sweden gets a lot of good press - not necessarily deserved. It's one of the biggest (3rd biggest?) arms dealers in the world for a start off.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Prince John posted:

Yeah, they're so loving wafty.

Wow, this is pretty depressing. Seems to be a whole bunch of it collected in this thread.

https://twitter.com/Freeyourmindkid/status/1266598693647638528

This got posted by Nate from TF and then he deleted his post after noticing the conspiracies devolve into "Russians" and "Bernie Bros". Liberals will try to delegitimise the protests because of violence, the next step from "there are instigators throwing bricks that don't represent the true honest peaceful protest" isn't "the protest is peaceful, let's do what they ask", it will be "ah the violence isn't a natural consequence of racial tension being pushed to breaking, it's deliberate, the cops are justified". Like it plays into the narrative that violence at a protest delegitimises the protest by painting it as a deliberate. "This brick was thrown deliberately to delegitimise this, it has now been delegitimised".

Black people are perfectly capable of rioting, throwing bricks, torching cop cars, and they're completely right to do so. Trying to find canny white tricksters who have ensnared the peaceful naive black protester is some patronising bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zhar
May 3, 2019

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Sweden gets a lot of good press - not necessarily deserved. It's one of the biggest (3rd biggest?) arms dealers in the world for a start off.

It seems to get referenced a lot as one of the most progressive countries by some people and an SJW state by others. Is the government a bunch of lib dems or something?