Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Pyrotoad posted:

Plushiroth for final villain.

I probably know the answer to this, but the same dark impulse that makes people read strange book in Lovecraft settings requires me to ask; is there a corresponding Aerith plushie and has somebody done the obvious posing with this plushie and that one?

Also, thanks for the advice in the thread, helped me now that I finally got a chance to start playing this (wanted to polish off some of the rest of my backlog before jumping on yet another game I might put off). While I'm fairly certain my skills are terrible (drat near died escaping from the city post-bombing, I seem to be terrible with riot police (and boy am I disturbed now that I typed that just how unintentionally topical THAT was)) this is honestly a really fun game, especially the more I start to figure out what I'm doing. Still need to learn the stagger mechanic better. Also, is there a way to queue commands if you have the ATB bars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

MadDogMike posted:

Also, is there a way to queue commands if you have the ATB bars?

I don't recall if "gameplay mechanics" is frowned on since it's a blind LP, but (extremely minor mechanics 'spoiler'): If you have two ATB bars, yeah, you can queue up two commands by putting them in back to back, and the character will execute them in turn even if you swap to someone else.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

MadDogMike posted:

I probably know the answer to this, but the same dark impulse that makes people read strange book in Lovecraft settings requires me to ask; is there a corresponding Aerith plushie and has somebody done the obvious posing with this plushie and that one?
Like this?

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Schwartzcough posted:

I don't recall if "gameplay mechanics" is frowned on since it's a blind LP, but (extremely minor mechanics 'spoiler'): If you have two ATB bars, yeah, you can queue up two commands by putting them in back to back, and the character will execute them in turn even if you swap to someone else.

Is there any actual guide to what you have to do out there I just can't happen to find? Every time I put in a command it dumps me out of the command menu. Is it one of those things they introduce later? Haven't gotten to three person party mode yet so maybe needs that?

A very acceptable answer as well if somebody did that with the plushies. God knows people come up with glorious variations on that scene, I remember laughing at the convention photo I saw once of a bunch of Aerith cosplayers all artfully "backstabbed" in a row by a Sephiroth cosplayer.

Fake Edit - Also this one is lovely:

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!

MadDogMike posted:

Is there any actual guide to what you have to do out there I just can't happen to find? Every time I put in a command it dumps me out of the command menu. Is it one of those things they introduce later? Haven't gotten to three person party mode yet so maybe needs that?

You'll have to open the menu back up but you can still enter a second command before the first fully executes (though if they're too close it might stop you)

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

MadDogMike posted:

It does close the menu when you select an attack, but you can instantly open it up again and input the next attack (assuming they're not totally knocked on their rear end when you input the first attack; then you might have to wait a second to give them the second one, but in either event you can give them a next command before they've completed the first command).

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
this thread is rapidly turning into a redacted gov't document...

let's ease up on that and wait for the OP.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

AradoBalanga posted:

3 Funko POPs and one Figma Jenova, actually.

Unfortunately, Hojo gets stuck using a bootleg version.

Figma balls eyyyy

I played FF7 years ago and somehow struggled through at a lower level than I should've been because grinding was a foreign concept to me. Excited to see how the remake buffs midgar out to 30ish hours or whatever it takes. The combat looks super chaotic and makes me miss good ol' turn based stuff. Even ATB I find too much.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Update 6 - Reactor 1 was an Inside Job

Previous Bonus Next

"How was this thing even approved?"

Like I said before, the timer matters very little. Barret leaves the party for a moment, as you take different routes.

I always pictured the original timer as there to induce as much panic in you as possible when you realized that you missed Jessie and had to go all the way back while dealing with those annoying random encounters.

Here, saving Jessie is not "optional", and despite how long it took us to get this far, most of it had to deal with scripted interactions and cutscenes, and not so much with the level layout.

The first time I beat Guard Scorpion I had somehow ran out of all my potions but used no Phoenix Down. I missed that Barret had Cure.

Cloud was left with almost no HP, Barret leaves as soon as the encounter is over, and you can't use Phoenix Downs on yourself, I reckon.

The entire place is a huge fireworks show.

lol Cloud.

Cloud just being an rear end in a top hat to everyone (except I guess Biggs, who barely interacts with him) in the Reactor has been pretty good so far.

There's not much to cover here. It's just a series of battles. Once you regroup with Barret things get a lot easier and like I said, the timer is symbolic.

The Shock Troopers are the equivalent to the original game's Grunts:

As in the original, they are some of the more annoying enemies in the Reactor. Honestly, I know I'm repeating myself but I was kinda surprised at how faithful they recreated the feeling of these individual encounters, especially considering how different both games are in difficulty and gameplay style.

Regardless of how much time left you have, reaching the elevator triggers the time-out cutscene.

Uhhhhh.

Uhhhhhm.

What?

And now, for the biggest retcon so far - My first reaction was: what the hell?

After destroying the reactor, the Sweepers and the Turrets blow themselves up (which was a nice touch).

So uhhhm, yeah. I'm a bit torn here.

I don't like how this feels like they're trying to remove the blood that's on their hands. One of the interesting moments of the original was Reeve lecturing them on how much of hypocrites they are. We already know that Shinra can do huge monstrosities, like the plate fall.

At the same time the intent is still there. I do like the idea that these people really are out of their depth here and are just being scapegoats. Like yeah, for all intents and purposes these goofheads should not be able to invade and blow up a reactor.

The timing of the explosion happening while they're still in the reactor is also a bit awkward, but I guess they wanted to add another Cloud-is-cool scene. The elevator is shaking, Barret is kinda nervous, and meanwhile he looks at just how cool and professional Cloud is.

This is kinda hard to capture on screenshots, but we do have a Reactor 2 fakeout at the last moment:

One of the platforms start to crumble, and it looks like Cloud is screwed.

And then he just jumps like a superhuman in the air. I like that because it's (finally) implied that these heroic feats are not something anyone is meant to do. I think this is the kind of contrast that is missed in the FF7 movie where everyone is effectively harm-proof and can fly.

As much as it sucks that they're using the damsel-in-distress for this, a regular human unable to get out from very heavy debris is needed to give us contrast that what Cloud is doing isn't exactly normal even within the in-game world. Also yeah it's fun to see Cloud finally flattered.

So yeah I'm curious I wonder how the reactor explosion cinematic looks like and -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU--uL-CeL0

Holy poo poo.

Previous Bonus Next

Elentor fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jun 16, 2020

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Update 6 Bonus - "How does an MAKO Reactor Core explode?"

Bob: It's boiling in here.

Bob: Eight millianimas. A leak?
Ulana: "No. It's coming from outside."

Bob: The Wutaians?

Ulana: Mindine-121.
Ulana: It's not military, it's lifestream decay, Qualia-77.

Bob: Reactor fuel?
Bob: Junon. Maybe, uh. 240 kilometers away.

Ulana: Yes, this is Ulana Khomyuk with the Institute of Soul En--
Ulana: ...
Ulana: They're at four. It's not them. Who's the next closest?
Bob: It's Midgar, but that's not possible. They're 400 kilometers away.

Ulana: That's too far for eight millianimas. They'd have to be split open.
Ulana: Maybe they know something.

------------------------------------------------------------------

"Why did I see Adamantite on the roof?"

"Perhaps you saw burnt Mythril."

"Now there you made a mistake, because I may not know much about reactors, but I know a lot about Mythril."

Elentor fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jun 5, 2020

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I hate, hate, hate the Reactor inside-job change. One of the worst things they did. It makes the idea of Shinra conspiratorially dropping the plate way less shocking, because we're shown they'd blow up their own people and blame the terrorists right off the bat. You completely lose that level of escalation and villainy.

The idea of ragtag eco terrorists making unpredictable bombs in the slums and what that really means is such a rich story to play with too, but now the Remake has all these mixed messages on it.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

VagueRant posted:

I hate, hate, hate the Reactor inside-job change. One of the worst things they did. It makes the idea of Shinra conspiratorially dropping the plate way less shocking, because we're shown they'd blow up their own people and blame the terrorists right off the bat. You completely lose that level of escalation and villainy.

The idea of ragtag eco terrorists making unpredictable bombs in the slums and what that really means is such a rich story to play with too, but now the Remake has all these mixed messages on it.

I disagree. The plate drop is still a HUGE escalation, both in terms of collateral damage and in terms of culpability. The reactor explosion here does a lot of damage to the plate, but none to the slums below, and while things are chaotic and messy, there's no indication that the loss of life was catastrophic. Further, only the President and Heidegger were personally involved.

The plate drop kills tens or even hundreds of thousands of people, completely ruins 13% of both the upper AND lower cities, and directly involves way more people on the operational side of things. It's a massive escalation.

In fact, in the original it basically comes out of nowhere. Here, it's an actual escalation—an upward progression of action.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The original even implies that the reactor explosion shouldn't have been as bad as it was. This just makes the subtext text.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Yeah, there are at least two moments in OG FF7 were it's implied that not only is the reactor bomb extremely strange, but that Shinra is already aware of and allowing it to happen for their own game (The entire reactor 5 mission, which has President Shinra mock their actions as a waste of fireworks, in the hideout, Jessie wonders what happened with the Bomb to begin with, as she followed the specifications.)

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
There's a fair bit of stuff in the OG with which this idea is completely consistent, though it's definitely a change for the story to so blatantly show it. Still, Remake makes some hay with it, eventually, so I can't be too irritated about it.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

From the previous update, but the Laser Dodge was SO much better than the stupid Everyone Hit The Button At The Same Time In This Super Zoomed Out Minigame! of the original.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Don't worry, Remake keeps up the proud tradition of "Oh good lord this is a terrible minigame" from the original.

I can't wait for Chocobo racing. /sarcasm

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Kheldarn posted:

From the previous update, but the Laser Dodge was SO much better than the stupid Everyone Hit The Button At The Same Time In This Super Zoomed Out Minigame! of the original.

That's from Reactor 5 and we haven't gotten there yet.

Just so you know.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

That's from Reactor 5 and we haven't gotten there yet.

Just so you know.

I though... drat. I misremebered. :negative:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Elentor posted:

Update 6 Bonus - "How does an MAKO Reactor Core explode?"
rated 3.6

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'll take it. Not great, but also not terrible.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Onmi posted:

Yeah, there are at least two moments in OG FF7 were it's implied that not only is the reactor bomb extremely strange, but that Shinra is already aware of and allowing it to happen for their own game (The entire reactor 5 mission, which has President Shinra mock their actions as a waste of fireworks, in the hideout, Jessie wonders what happened with the Bomb to begin with, as she followed the specifications.)
I always put that down to the fact she was just a random person making bombs from guides on the internet. AVALANCHE shouldn't be good at this, they're not trained, and a bigger explosion than intended is the kind of thing that happens.

OG Jessie's line is "What a blast. Think it was all because of my bomb? But all I really did was just make it like the computer told me. Oh no! I must've made a miscalculation somewhere."

I think it's a helluva reach to think this line implies an otherwise unmentioned conspiracy plot, as opposed to someone just making a mistake. And the latter is a far more interesting story. Especially when OG Jessie's final words on the plate support are wondering if she deserved to die for killing so many people.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Wouldn’t surprise me if Shinra also covertly published deliberately faulty how-to guides for building bombs to get any would-be terrorists to dispose of themselves, and practically the only reason Jessie didn’t blow up AVALANCHE was pure dumb luck.

Gihyou
Feb 19, 2011

Oh God no the ball is gone.
I personally like this little retcon. I like that these hayseeds didn't actually make a bomb strong enough to entirely blow up a reactor (which you would anticipate be pretty difficult to utterly destroy with like a single piece of C4 attached to the outside of the control panel). I like that we instantly get a sense that Shinra is enthusiastic about crippling themselves and taking lives in order to be able to pin the blame on their enemies.

And I don't think the fact that what Avalanche wanted to occur happens with a little help from Shinra absolves Avalanche in any way.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm fine with it, I like the idea of these people being incompetent at the job. But yeah, even if the original hints at Jessie miscalculating it, I still consider it a retcon. I just don't care about it, past the fact it caught me off-guard.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Everything is an inside job

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

My only complaint with this sequence is that Jessie is moving quite well for someone who had a concrete slab crush their ankle. Unless healing materia is just that good at patching up things.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
As someone who broke his ankle the day he had to move out of his apartment, you can move on it if the alternative is death or paying another month's rent. It will cause you to have a hernia, though

drat, I spoiled the next chapter

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 5, 2020

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

As someone who broke his ankle the day he had to move out of his apartment, you can move on it if the alternative is death or paying another month's rent. It will cause you to have a hernia, though

drat, I spoiled the next chapter

That's your healing materia tutorial, casting Cure on Jessie so she can power through her brand new hernia

(also digging the Happy Endings av)

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

In fiction, collapsing rubble will only ever fall in that incredibly narrow margin where someone is trapped and can't move, but never actually injured.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Schwartzcough posted:

In fiction, collapsing rubble will only ever fall in that incredibly narrow margin where someone is trapped and can't move, but never actually injured.
True. Unless it's a plot death/villain's demise, then it's fatal.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Harrow posted:

That's your healing materia tutorial, casting Cure on Jessie so she can power through her brand new hernia

(also digging the Happy Endings av)

As long as that avatar is up, I'm mourning the loss of the greatest sitcom of all time (next to The Facts of Life)

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Schwartzcough posted:

:thunk:

AradoBalanga posted:

True. Unless it's a plot death/villain's demise, then it's fatal.

:hfive:

I'm stuck at home (more than usual) this weekend and was going to play through the demo while I wait for Nioh 2 DLC, but I'm probably going to buy this eventually. Is there anything different in the demo or do you get a trophy or an in-hat for finishing it, or is it exactly the same as the beginning of the full episode?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

You don't get anything special for completing the demo. It's actually missing some stuff from the final version.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Gosh I love Cloud's dorky smirk he can't help making here. After all his posturing in this mission someone calls him cool and he's not ready for it. :allears:

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!

my cat is norris posted:

You don't get anything special for completing the demo. It's actually missing some stuff from the final version.

It also has something in it that isn't in the final version: the dark element!

...It's only present if you check the icon help in the analysis menu (there's no reason to since you can't actually analyze enemies). I have no idea what it would've been used for, since dark wasn't even an element in the original (maybe it was subbing for poison (element) before they figured "nah that's dumb"?).

But it is a weird-rear end difference.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't be surprised if there was quite a bit of stuff like that just kind of laying around in the code that they cut and are planning on including in the :airquote: Next EpisodeTM.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

LiefKatano posted:

It also has something in it that isn't in the final version: the dark element!

...It's only present if you check the icon help in the analysis menu (there's no reason to since you can't actually analyze enemies). I have no idea what it would've been used for, since dark wasn't even an element in the original (maybe it was subbing for poison (element) before they figured "nah that's dumb"?).

But it is a weird-rear end difference.

Has Dark appeared in other FF games?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

my cat is norris posted:

Does the Dark Knight in FFIV count?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

my cat is norris posted:

Yes, quite often:

FF4 - DK Cecil's gear is all Dark Element, doing Dark Elemental damage when attacking physically
FF9 - It's called Shadow instead of Dark, and is attached to various spells, gear, add-ons, and two Summons
FF11 - A lot of poo poo uses it
FF12 - It's an element attached to spells, attacks, gear, and Espers
FF14 - Like 9, it has a different name, Umbral, and is mostly attached to spells
FF15 - Only enemy Daemons have access to Spells/Skills/Gear that uses Dark
FFT - The Summon, Lich, is Dark Element
FFTA - Mostly attached to weapons, though 2 spells also use it
FFTA2 - Like 11, a lot of poo poo uses it