Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

why

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Gotta have the aesthetically pleasing hole when looking up from the ground floor. Oh whoops, that creates Problems with the second-floor layout...eh, not my problem when someone dies because they tried to take a shortcut instead of going the long way around.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

It's a mall. You gotta make it as difficult as possible to get from one escalator to the other to maximise the number of storefronts the punters have to pass.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
It looks like a temporary (will never be taken down) wall put up when the Sears JC Penny latest bankrupt department store closed.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Guy Axlerod posted:

It looks like a temporary (will never be taken down) wall put up when the Sears JC Penny latest bankrupt department store closed.

Yeah, when the sears in Schaumburg was on it's last legs, they walled off a lot of the store as inventory shrunk. Except instead of just shrinking the store, they created what was basically a long, twisty corridor that forced you to walk past every department on your way from the parking lot into the mall proper.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
You should be parking between L&T and Nordstrom anyway, that lot above the garage is always empty

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Arms_Akimbo posted:

You should be parking between L&T and Nordstrom anyway, that lot above the garage is always empty

Oh yeah, that's my go to now when on the extremely rare occasion I'm there, but I hadn't been in that Sears since forever at that time. I suppose a barely filled parking lot at Christmastime should have been my first clue.

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Gotta have the aesthetically pleasing hole when looking up from the ground floor. Oh whoops, that creates Problems with the second-floor layout...eh, not my problem when someone dies because they tried to take a shortcut instead of going the long way around.

If you put manage to crush yourself to death by walking forward into a wall, you don't deserve to live

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Piss Meridian posted:

If you put manage to crush yourself to death by walking forward into a wall, you don't deserve to live

I was thinking more trying to clamber over the railing, falling, and breaking your neck.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

GotLag posted:

Aren't those bricks supposed to be used with the hollow tubes running vertically?

How would you put the mortar on top of them like that?

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

The bike was there first and the building grew around it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh, that makes sense. I was assuming a kid rode on the wall before it set.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Budgie posted:

The bike was there first and the building grew around it.

Amazing how nature does that

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

On topic for this thread, I'm building up the courage to get an electrician out to do a proper inspection of our house.

Among the most interesting things are a bedroom light than can only be turned on when the light is on in another bedroom, and a wall socket in the kitchen that appears to be on a 5A lighting circuit. (Found that one out when I was using a kettle and toaster at the same time and the fuse blew).

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The good news is you're about to have an easy chance to wire LAN to the bedroom  knock out whole walls and repaint.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Do you have any pictures of the dome, oculus, etc.?This is intriguing.

I might have more on my external hard drive, but here's what I had on my phone. This is the two story window, the balcony, and the living room. It's heated with a wood stove right now. One day my uncle will get around to installing heated floors. He just adds to it whenever he has the time/money/help.

The oculus is impossible to photograph because it's all raw concrete and doesn't look curved in pictures. Just flat gray.

This house has a name, too. Casa del Rio (there's a river behind all those trees).

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If that's a fireplace, it has the world's weirdest placement. Is it maybe an arrow slit? Still very interesting placement.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Senor Tron posted:

On topic for this thread, I'm building up the courage to get an electrician out to do a proper inspection of our house.

Among the most interesting things are a bedroom light than can only be turned on when the light is on in another bedroom, and a wall socket in the kitchen that appears to be on a 5A lighting circuit. (Found that one out when I was using a kettle and toaster at the same time and the fuse blew).

I just want to understand why the bathroom fan rheostat clicking off causes the sound I/O in my studio to reboot 4/5 times.

Except I rent, and my landlords are...landlords. So this will forever remain a mystery.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

canyoneer posted:

I can't find the reference, but I recall hearing about a builder's strike in Ancient Egypt where one of the grievances was availability of kohl for the laborers.

Black eye makeup: the sunglasses of antiquity.

I'm not sure if you're taking this to be for eye protection or as a fashion statement, but kohl was definitely used to reduce glare

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I just want to understand why the bathroom fan rheostat clicking off causes the sound I/O in my studio to reboot 4/5 times.

Except I rent, and my landlords are...landlords. So this will forever remain a mystery.

Turning the kettle on or off here causes the projector to lose the HDMI signal for a second. I suspect "long runs of insufficiently shielded cable picks up EM noise bursts" in both our cases?

NoSpoon
Jul 2, 2004

Computer viking posted:

Turning the kettle on or off here causes the projector to lose the HDMI signal for a second. I suspect "long runs of insufficiently shielded cable picks up EM noise bursts" in both our cases?

This reminds me of the guy who has his computer monitor turn off when he sat on his chair.

https://twitter.com/royvanrijn/status/1214162400666103808?s=21

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

NoSpoon posted:

This reminds me of the guy who has his computer monitor turn off when he sat on his chair.

That's hosed up and good to know.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

NoSpoon posted:

Can confirm, one of my DisplayPort monitors at work does this whenever I get up or sit down.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I thought the whole point of digital signals was to avoid poo poo like this

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Its everyone's duty to install crappy cords that cause this problem to maximize the amount of time during the day that you spend not working thus spending your bosses money.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Renaissance Robot posted:

I thought the whole point of digital signals was to avoid poo poo like this

If you're gonna keep cramming higher and higher frequencies down lovely cables then something's gotta give.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

NoSpoon posted:

EM issues or is his fat rear end shaking the connectors?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

NoSpoon posted:

lmao, reminds me that apparently peeling off sticky tape emits RF in the terahertz range.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/26889193_Peeling_adhesive_tape_emits_electromagnetic_radiation_at_terahertz_frequencies

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Do it in a vacuum and get x-rays.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

kid sinister posted:

EM issues or is his fat rear end shaking the connectors?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

probed for what?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

probed for what?

Insulting someone for no reason and to no benefit.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
Seems a bit sensitive.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Agrinja posted:

Seems a bit sensitive.

Like a poorly built DisplayPort cable

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Agrinja posted:

Seems a bit sensitive.

Well, he'll be back tomorrow.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Crappy construction when mother nature is in charge of the build

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QcBSbQo4XA

No deaths according to Forbes.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

Jaded Burnout posted:

Well, he'll be back tomorrow.

Fair enough.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Dillbag posted:

Crappy construction when mother nature is in charge of the build

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QcBSbQo4XA

No deaths according to Forbes.

It's amazing what'll float.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Houseboats. Actually that's some impressive construction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Live action Thriller Bark adaptation looking bad there.