Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Like in the absence of considering any of the million other options they could have done instead or in concert with this, a new home builders grant isn't a terrible idea, but pouring more money on the fire of housing affordability isn't a responsible approach (nor is it intended to be, it's intended to shut the construction industry up and pander to housing affordability complaints without addressing any of the structural causes)

Yeah and instead of making boomers etc leverage their properties value to fund this, it should be social housing instead, all the developments in the current growth corridors should be 20% social housing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Quantum Shart posted:

Yeah and instead of making boomers etc leverage their properties value to fund this, it should be social housing instead, all the developments in the current growth corridors should be 20% social housing.

My local council is currently looking at how it could get a 75% windfall value capture on rezoning and a 6% floorspace contribution on development to fund social and affordable housing. Going to be a hard slog, but the only way these kind of changes have ever happened in planning (in Vic at least) is councils dragging the State kicking and screaming.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Quantum Shart posted:

While having more social housing is a definite net good and I 100% support it, its detractors will point towards the whole social housing suburbs that were built and then became dangerous and rundown. Does anyone have a handy list of examples of the "good" ways mass social housing has been built?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

It needs to be integrated not segregated from what i recall.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
The good ways are exactly as described up above, where you scatter the properties in with higher income housing areas.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Senor Tron posted:

While having more social housing is a definite net good and I 100% support it, its detractors will point towards the whole social housing suburbs that were built and then became dangerous and rundown. Does anyone have a handy list of examples of the "good" ways mass social housing has been built?
https://www.arch2o.com/successful-public-housing-projects/

https://www.planetizen.com/node/66252

The Canberra system has been largely successful and is based on scattering public housing inside private development.

:siren: Police anecdote incoming :siren:

I had a major incident on the road and while still in shock gave my dashcam to the Police so they could download the data. I have never seen the dashcam or the footage since and Police deny all knowledge of either.
I had a smash in robbery at a property I own. I put the cctv footage on a USB stick and provided it to Police. I have never seen that USB stick again and Police have not informed me of any proceedings or recovered any of the goods, to my knowledge.
So when you deal with the Police you get to be robbed twice! Thanks coppers!
I was pulled over by the Police and in giving the reason for pulling me over the copper barefacedly lied and when I questioned his version he arced up put his hand on his tazer and screamed "Are you calling me a liar!?"

Also a reminder that in NSW magistrates only routinely caution juries in regard to testimony by one class of witness; Police. Their record is that bad. http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/journals/UNSWLJ/1980/5.pdf

Cartoon fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jun 4, 2020

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Cartoon posted:

https://www.arch2o.com/successful-public-housing-projects/

https://www.planetizen.com/node/66252

The Canberra system has been largely successful and is based on scattering public housing inside private development.

Thanks, I know the principle of having them scattered around is the most effective one, but having hard examples to point to is good.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-04/tasmanian-government-announces-coronavirus-construction-package/12319636

"The Tasmanian Government will expand its first home builders funding of $20,000 for any owner-occupier to build a house and commit $100,000 for social housing under a new package in response to the coronavirus pandemic."

Premier Peter Gutwein said the expansion of the first home builders grant to any owner-occupier would open for the next six months.
"I'm so very pleased the Federal Government is making a $25,000 injection as well, meaning that there will be, for those who qualify, $45,000 available if you're going to build a home in Tasmania," he said.
"That $45,000, you will need to sign a contract from today until the end of December, you will need to be able to begin construction in three months.

All the land I've looked at recently doesn't title until March next year at the earliest, bit waaay to tight a timeframe to be honest, you're trying to ensure work over the next year or more.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

norp posted:

The good ways are exactly as described up above, where you scatter the properties in with higher income housing areas.

while we are talking about fantasy things that will never happen might as well get the residents of those areas to pay for it and help construct it.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Cartoon posted:

I had a smash in robbery at a property I own. I put the cctv footage on a USB stick and provided it to Police. I have never seen that USB stick again and Police have not informed me of any proceedings or recovered any of the goods, to my knowledge.

I can kiiiinda address this one.

In my office if we are given a USB stick with CCTV footage on it to be used as evidence the USB stick stays with us for the full time that evidence is to be held. It is now part of that chain of evidence. Typically they don't get receipted because, at least in our line of work, people know it's not coming back and they generally don't care about one USB stick.

If our people turned up somewhere to collect the footage on our own USB's obviously they're ours but that USB would then also not be used again until the period of time that we are required to keep physical evidence is reached. Yes even if we had digital copies of it stored in our servers.

With regard to your dashcam though you should have been given a receipt. Sorry about that.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Laserface posted:

while we are talking about fantasy things that will never happen might as well get the residents of those areas to pay for it and help construct it.

It's actively occurring right now all throughout Melbourne.

https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/flemington-estate

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-04/magic-mushrooms-foraging-with-nannup-police/12317246

quote:

"But the hazardous effect on your body alone is terrible, plus, the impact it has on us as serving police officers trying to protect our community takes us away from our normal jobs."

it is incredible how close these idiots get to the idea that drugs are a health issue, not a criminal issue (outside of importation and manufacture) and then just completely veer right back to treating them as a crime issue. Just decriminalise them if you dont want to police it. They arent addictive, they arent toxic and they arent really that easy to come by.

I mean the article about Denver doing exactly that is linked immediately below the article, alongside another article about how they are being used to treat depression.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 4, 2020

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Thank you heaps for the anonymous donation!! (if it was from someone here)

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

'oh, someone's at the coffee shop and they're wearing just a pair of pants and a bra and they're crying and laughing out the front sitting on a chair' — they're the sorts of things we don't want

Whoa better declare a war on drugs to stop this from happening. Like air some TV ads with black and white footage of someone "at the coffee shop and they're wearing just a pair of pants and a bra and they're crying and laughing out the front sitting on a chair", that'll definitely scare the kids off doing drugs.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Buttcoin purse posted:

Whoa better declare a war on drugs to stop this from happening. Like air some TV ads with black and white footage of someone "at the coffee shop and they're wearing just a pair of pants and a bra and they're crying and laughing out the front sitting on a chair", that'll definitely scare the kids off doing drugs.

This is just how I live my life, okay? Super rude of them to assume I'm on drugs. :colbert:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Quantum Shart posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/jun/03/morrison-government-to-offer-25000-grants-to-help-build-and-renovate-homes

"To be eligible for the grants, singles need to earn $125,000 a year or less based on a 2018/19 tax return or later, and couples need to earn under $200,000. Building contracts need to be executed between 4 June and 31 December 2020."

"To qualify, people need to be intending to build a new home as a principal place of residence valued up to $750,000 including the land, or planning to renovate an existing property, with the upgrade valued at between $150,000 and $750,000."

"Existing properties need to be worth less than $1.5m before the renovation, and construction must be contracted to commence within three months of the contract date."

I've seen a few journalist succs call this 'bizarre' and certainly the renovation part of the stimulus is a bit on the nose, but the first home buyers grant is good? I'm looking to start building my first new house in the next 6 months so it's pretty perfect on top of the Vic 20k grant for building regionally, I'll basically get 45K to build a new house an hour from the city and actually get something affordable.

Yeah I'm thinking I'll try and take advantage of this. Does the $45k essentially count towards the deposit?

Quantum Shart posted:

All the land I've looked at recently doesn't title until March next year at the earliest, bit waaay to tight a timeframe to be honest, you're trying to ensure work over the next year or more.

This is the kind of poo poo I have no idea about. Who would be the best people to contact to get an idea of timeframes and the steps I need to take to get the ball rolling?

As an aside, how long do you typically need to be in a job to get a loan? I'm thinking of changing jobs but I'm worried that if I need to be in it for a certain period of time I'll miss out on the federal grant.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygI-2F8ApUM

:unsmith:

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

gay picnic defence posted:

Yeah I'm thinking I'll try and take advantage of this. Does the $45k essentially count towards the deposit?

This is the kind of poo poo I have no idea about. Who would be the best people to contact to get an idea of timeframes and the steps I need to take to get the ball rolling?

As an aside, how long do you typically need to be in a job to get a loan? I'm thinking of changing jobs but I'm worried that if I need to be in it for a certain period of time I'll miss out on the federal grant.

I'll DM you

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...n-custody-rally

quote:

Scott Morrison has warned against “importing the things that are happening overseas to Australia” after protesters gathered in Sydney to denounce the killing of George Floyd in the United States and to rally against Indigenous deaths in custody. Further protests are planned in cities around Australia in the next few days.
The prime minister acknowledged during a radio interview on Thursday that Australia also had problems “in this space” that it needed to address, but insisted those issues were being dealt with and “we don’t need to draw equivalence here”.
“We don’t need the divisions that we’re seeing in other countries – we need to stick together and look after each other,” Morrison told 2GB.
His comments came after hundreds of people marched through Sydney on Tuesday, chanting “black lives matter” and protesting against Indigenous deaths in custody in Australia and the killing of Floyd in the US and a candlelight vigil was held in Brisbane on Wednesday night.
Protesters in Sydney chanted “I can’t breathe” and “Justice today, for David Dungay” – the 26-year-old Aboriginal man who said “I can’t breathe” 12 times before he died in 2015 while being restrained by five prison guards.

Dungay is one of at least 432 Aboriginal deaths in custody since the royal commission in 1991, the Guardian’s latest analysis shows. There have been at least five deaths since Guardian Australia updated its Deaths Inside project in August 2019, two of which have resulted in murder charges being laid.
Advertisement

The conservative talkback radio host Ray Hadley asked Morrison about protests in Australia during an interview on Thursday morning. Hadley said he had received emails from his listeners who were concerned to see hundreds of people in streets “holding disgusting signs about our police force” without complying with physical-distancing requirements.
In response to the question, Morrison said he agreed people should observe physical-distancing rules during any protests in order to prevent the spread of coronavirus.
Australia was a free country, Morrison continued, so any suggestion of stopping protests “would jar with Australians, rightly”.
“But at the same time people have got to exercise responsibility,” he said.
“And at the same time, you know, we shouldn’t be importing the things that are happening overseas to Australia.
“I’m not saying we don’t have issues in this space that we need to deal with but the thing is we are dealing with it. And we don’t need to draw equivalence here.
“We should be Australians about this and deal with it our way, and we are.”

Morrison said one of the reasons Australia had done well to get through the Covid-19 crisis was because people were genuinely banding together and supporting each other “and what we don’t want is people dividing people”.
“So we respect people’s right to protest, but equally protesters have to respect all other Australians in how they conduct themselves,” he said.
Whether it’s this protest or other protests, I think all Australians are OK with there being protests, but when they see people inconvenience others just trying to get to work or do things like that, well, they obviously get the irrits. And I think it’s important that everyone respects everyone.”
Most of the recommendations from the royal commission into Aboriginal deaths in custody in 1991 have either not been implemented or only partly implemented.
New South Wales introduced race hate laws two years ago but so far, not a single person has been charged.

This week, a NSW police officer was placed on restricted duties after footage surfaced of him tripping a 16-year-old Indigenous boy while arresting him in Sydney, slamming the teenager face first on to bricks.
The boy’s family called for an end to “police investigating police”, and told media they had felt “angry”, “frustrated” and “afraid” after watching the footage.
At a media conference earlier on Thursday, Morrison said the scenes around the world were distressing and he was “grateful for the wonderful country we live in here”.

He pointed to the Closing the Gap initiative and ongoing discussions with the states and territories as “important work” and added that he met regularly with the peak Indigenous groups in Australia.

Good news, there's nothing to worry about here, the government is on it.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Yeast posted:

It's actively occurring right now all throughout Melbourne.

https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/flemington-estate

It's also been happening in Victoria for the last 10 years as they renew each estate one by one

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Victoria is probably not the shining light to use for social housing given we have the lowest % in the nation and just announced half a billion dollars to create 167 new units (we need to create more than 30 times that every year for the next ten years just to address current backlog of need)

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Solemn Sloth posted:

Victoria is probably not the shining light to use for social housing given we have the lowest % in the nation and just announced half a billion dollars to create 167 new units (we need to create more than 30 times that every year for the next ten years just to address current backlog of need)

How the poo poo are they spending $3m on a unit?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

NPR Journalizard posted:

$500k for the unit, $2.5 mil for some developer who donated to the party.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

When I mentioned community housing some time ago, someone pointed out Austria and it is well worth looking up if you are interested in researching further reading - really quite good success.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

NPR Journalizard posted:

I assume that included the public service overheads, ie that money is not just the units themselves but the department costs to administer the project.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

NPR Journalizard posted:

about 90% of it is to repaint existing units

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
BLM protest here in Canberra tomorrow - any goons going?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Solemn Sloth posted:

we have the lowest percentage relative to what our post war population was when it was built.

it was just never invested in along with our growth compared to the NSW

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

also i'm am not defending the lack of social housing in victoria in any way, shape or form. the state govt could grow social housing stock in short order by handing over the majority of public housing stock to the community housing orgs who can then leverage against them to finance loans to redevelop them and develop many more. however having a gently caress load of prime real estate on your balance sheet is (apparently) a big part of victoria's AAA credit rating.

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!

gay picnic defence posted:

It's somewhat similar; if it works the same was as Queensland FHOG grants, essentially that money goes towards the build i.e. you don't have to borrow that much extra for your loan. This amount also goes towards calculating your LMI if it applies.

Just be sure that the build contract is entered into between now and the end of the year.

I'm getting towards the end of getting my build contract done (there's been delays due to the block I wanted not being able to get registered till next year), but I think six months should be achievable if you're building a new home. Just be aware of choke points for delays - engineering drawings (which are paid out of your own pocket, and I imagine there'll be a rush for their services now), colour selection (had mine delayed due to Covid-19 restrictions) etc.

Just make sure you've got your land registered very, very early; better yet, have a block of land ready for purchase.

Edit: Typically most banks want you to be out of your probationary period. 12 months at the least is ideal. I was considering changing jobs as well but wanted my finance in first given a strong employment history. Each lender is different so ask around, though probationary periods might cause you to think twice for the moment.

ASIC v Danny Bro fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jun 4, 2020

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

hambeet posted:

also i'm am not defending the lack of social housing in victoria in any way, shape or form. the state govt could grow social housing stock in short order by handing over the majority of public housing stock to the community housing orgs who can then leverage against them to finance loans to redevelop them and develop many more. however having a gently caress load of prime real estate on your balance sheet is (apparently) a big part of victoria's AAA credit rating.

It's important to have a strong economy so that we can safeguard what truly matters, for e.g. the right to housing. To this end we have mandated a Minimum Homelessness Quotient, to ensure a sufficient buffer to protect the housing market, which, in turn, will-- wait, did I already say protect the housing market? My cue cards misprinted and now it's stuck on a loop

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I really don’t think having a major protest in Melbourne this weekend while there are still clusters popping off is very responsible. I support the cause but I really don’t know what they are thinking having it on now.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

hambeet posted:

we have the lowest percentage relative to what our post war population was when it was built.

it was just never invested in along with our growth compared to the NSW

CHIA saying lowest rate of social housing as % of total housing stock in the nation here: https://chiavic.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Make-Social-Housing-Work-FINAL.pdf

hambeet posted:

The credit rating excuse doesn't really hold water when they're selling off big chunks of it to private tenure as part of the public housing renewal program for a 10% uplift in units, and last I checked they still had made no commitments about what type of community housing the replacements would be or the breakdown of dwellings with different room numbers (I'm not saying you believe it, just that anyone who runs it as an argument has some pretty serious questions to answer).

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jun 4, 2020

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Solemn Sloth posted:

CHIA saying lowest in the nation here: https://chiavic.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Make-Social-Housing-Work-FINAL.pdf

The credit rating excuse doesn't really hold water when they're selling off big chunks of it to private tenure as part of the public housing renewal program for a 10% uplift in units, and last I checked they still had made no commitments about what type of community housing the replacements would be or the breakdown of dwellings with different room numbers (I'm not saying you believe it, just that anyone who runs it as an argument has some pretty serious questions to answer).

yeah i wasn't disagreeing with you. we are the lowest now and have been for a while. i was just pointing out the the post war boom in public housing, which is when a lot of our stock was built, was based on what victoria's population back then. we've experienced a lot of growth since then and the lack of investment in victoria both federally and state compounds it.

on the balance sheet yeah it's why i hedged with apparently, and it's old info from about 4 years ago now. but the sell offs don't entirely disprove it either. they're doing it piecemeal over quite a long period of time as opposed to just a massive stock transfer to the community housing orgs, which is to what the credit rating excuse was originally raised.

also the original redevelopments like kensington led to less social housing units being created due to poor planning and i think there the private developers ended up with closer to half. a lot of the redevelopments that were underway or ready to start ~2017 still had the state govt holding onto a large percentage of the property with approx a third to a quarter to private developers with the rest social housing managed by DHHS or whoever won the contract.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

oh man the one topic i used to know everything about i'm forgetting or am getting so out of touch

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
Bold the whole thing etc
https://www.facebook.com/groups/ahrca2012/permalink/3524712587556723/

quote:

I worked as a police officer in Perth Police Station between 2004 and 2012. I witnessed systematic racism towards Aboriginal people and this is what I witnessed.
In my policing career, I had many encounters with aboriginals when I was working in Perth Police Station. There were about 50 or 60 Aboriginal people around the city of Perth that were homeless, staying in parks around the city.
At the very beginning as a probationer police officer, you mainly watch and learn from your senior officer. At first, I considered the treatment of the aboriginals by other senior officers as individual cases. However, these examples were so many; I later realized it was actually the general norm. Before I tell you what I witnessed about Aboriginals, I would like to say that I am not coming from Aboriginal heritage; I am just a human with conscious.
However, I just could not ignore the things I saw anymore. The first thing I witnessed was the senior officers making racist comments about aboriginals to manipulate the junior officers’ opinion about them.
The things they used to say about Aboriginals were more of a brainwashing of young constables and it was full of hatred. The police officers blame the Aboriginals for not keeping up with the rest of the population especially with Anglo- Australians. The constant bad mouthing about aboriginals is so rife that it was acceptable to say anything about them.
There was no repercussions for anything racist said about aboriginals.
I included some of the comments that were made by Anglo-Australians about Aboriginals. There are a lot more examples than the ones I provided. I could only write as much as I could remember.
The usual comments were “They are the lowest race on earth”, “Look what they do, they say this is our land look at the way they treat it.” “They are animals”, “They are feral” “They are the most backwards race on earth” “They are rats, cockroaches etc.” They were also referred to as boongs, coons, niggers, and abos.
According to senior officers, they had to be locked up all the time and the way we were supposed to do this was explained to me as arcing them up and getting them off the street.
Therefore, this process takes place like this: First, a copper approaches them and starts asking their names without a reason or say provocative things towards them and as soon as they raise their voice, they find themselves in the back of the van. Some aboriginals usually were saying things as this is my land, “ you can’t do this to me etc.” and the response was No it is not your land it is ours now, we conquered it, or it is too late we own it now”. This was usually more than enough to arc them up which would result in them being arrested.
I saw some coppers removing their nametags before approaching them and “arcing them up and locking them up” and then they brag about how they took them off the streets.
There was also a minimum number of arrest requirement from the police officers as part of their performance indicator. So the more arrest you had the more valuable you were before the boss’s eyes. This led to arrest competition between the officers. The easier way to increase the arrest numbers were to go and pick on aboriginals, as they were easy target.
Some officers even used this as a way of getting extra overtime by just arresting an aboriginal close to the end of their shift so they would stay on overtime and get overtime penalty etc.
When constable D.C took off his nametag and arced up an aboriginal, I criticized him for this and his response was “This is how we keep the streets clean. If a police officer were in need of an arrest, they would go and find an aboriginal, arc them up and lock them up. It is a very easy target for them who would not challenge them in court and or make complaints etc.
The coppers also know Aboriginals will not challenge them in court because they will not be remembering anything about the incident, as these people are homeless, usually intoxicated and they are at a point where they gave up fighting.
ALS (Aboriginal Legal Services) cannot help them in court because they do not have any evidence to defend the Noongars, as they do not recall anything about the incident.
Another tactic used was some coppers get to know these people (they call them locals or abos). As soon as they see them in the city, they just give them a move on notice for no reason, watch them on the camera, and arrest them after a few minutes if they have not left the area for breaching a move on notice. The move on notice has to be given for a reason. However, the coppers just tick the box where it says “disorderly” even though that person was simply walking in the street.
I included some of the racist comments made by coppers towards Aboriginals below.
1) I was going through a traffic crash file about a six or 7-year-old child and his uncle who were both Aboriginals. The uncle was riding a motorbike with the nephew who was sitting in front of him with no helmet. He was going very fast and hit something and the nephew was launched of the bike and hit his head on a metal pole. He sustained life-threatening injuries. When I read the file, I said to then First Class Constable B.L. from Major Crash Investigation, who was running the file. “What sort of uncle is he? He was wearing a helmet but didn’t put one on his nephew and caused the little child life-threatening injuries.
B. said. “Don’t worry about it mate he is just a coon.” I think that child died soon after this. To this day, I still remember the moment when Constable B.L. said these words with no emotion on his face. That moment is engraved in my head and I don’t think it will ever go away.
2) During a training, detective first class constable N.W. stunned the entire class when she said.
“We should have killed all the Aboriginals here in WA like in Tasmania” She then had a loud evil laugh afterwards. The worrying thing is this person used to be a teacher.
3) The Kicketts are one of the known Aboriginal families in the Perth region. Senior Constable Alan Kickett is a police officer in the WA Police. On an occasion, Senior Constable J.C. called Alan “Black friend of the family oval office” in front of numerous coppers.
Although there was some senior rank officers around, none of them even felt the need to do something about this. There was no action taken against Senior Constable J.C.
4) On another occasion one of the officers said this to prove that he was not racist and loves multiculturalism etc... “I like every race on earth except the boongs mate” “I absolutely despise them” “I would gently caress women from any race except boongs.”
5) On an occasion then first class constable M.B. said, “They are our pets we look after them. They are a pet nation”.
6) About six o’clock on a Sunday morning an Aboriginal woman was walking on the footpath in James Street, Northbridge. The street cleaning machine came from behind and hit her. Because of the impact, she lost her balance and tripped over. The machine then sucked the woman inside. All the coppers were laughing and one of the comments was “even the machine knows what‘s dirt and what isn’t”
7) Police officers seize the paints or any other solvents they find when they see the Aboriginals sniffing it. On one occasion, a copper took the paint bottles off the Aboriginal person but in the process, some of the paint was spilled on the copper’s shoes. First Class Constable K.H saw this and said. “Hey, you better go and clean your shoes quickly otherwise there will be boongs all over your feet sniffing the paint.” followed by a laugh afterwards. This happened right next to the information centre in Murray Street Mall where the member of public and tourists can easily hear.
8) One day, one of the Aboriginal people that Constable N.S often dealt with was found dead in the street and N.S. took a photo of him from close shot. The name of the deceased person is Morgan Bropho. Around this time, the police commissioner started a new initiative where officers could choose their own wallpaper on the computers to personalize the work place to increase the motivation etc. Most coppers put a family photo or a nature photo they liked, except N.S.
Instead, N.S put Morgan Bropho’s dead photo on his computer where everybody could see it as it was in an open plan office. He did not just put his photo on the computer, he was also saying to people one down, one gone as if it was a victory won by him against an enemy.
This person served in the British Army for almost 20 years and he was stuck with the understanding that the Aboriginals were enemies. When he said, “One down, one gone etc.” It just reminded me of the history of Australia where the British were rewarded per head for killing Aboriginals.
Probably, it was too sensitive of N.S. to think that there were some Aboriginal police officers in Perth Police Station where they could see the photo of a deceased Aboriginal and it was unacceptable to see the photo of a deceased person for them.
Morgan passed away on 16/07/2008 and N.S put his dead photo on his computer a couple of days after this date.
9) In every police station there is a book called an “Occurrence Book”. Every arrest, handcuffing, Juvenile Cautions etc. are put in this book. I heard some Sergeants talking “In good all days they had things like “two natives shot dead, one native killed” in occurrence books and that was it but now we put trivial things in them.”
10) A Sergeant was walking around the office saying out loud to his team, “ We have to make the CBD (the city centre) Abo free zone, Boong free zone” This was happening in Perth Police Station where there were about 10 teams open space style office with a lot of officers etc.
11) The back of the police wagon inside has no seatbelt or anything installed. It has only some metal seats with sharp corners. Some of the police officers used to purposely brake or drive erratically when there was a handcuffed Aboriginal at the back inside the wagon causing the person thrown from one end to another end hitting his body, face etc.
Then they would say things to the arrestee things like “Oops sorry” “How did you like that” “Did it hurt” by looking in the rear view mirror and chuckling at the same time.
12) Once Constable A.H. arrested this Aboriginal person for literally nothing and took him to the lock up. The lockup did not accept him as he had injuries. He then took him back to the van and drove around and around in a hot summer and just threw him out of the van in the middle of a car park instead of taking him to the hospital as per our duty of care.
13) One of the officers was dealing with an Aboriginal person and when he was finished, he came to the Camera Room where everything was watched. This female officer was joking around with the officer who dealt with the Aboriginal person and the female officer bit the male officer’s wrist as part of the joke and as soon as she did, she said, “Yuck, you touched a black fella, I better wash my mouth”
14) I was with Mounted Section training for a riot and I was playing the role of police officer stranded by myself. The other group of police officers were the protestor and one of them kept shouting, “You can’t touch me, my cuz is an APLO (Aboriginal Police Liaison Officer), he kept repeating the same thing during the entire training. Obviously, he was trying to belittle the APLOs.
15) During a conversation, Senior Constable M.S said. “Aboriginals are the lowest race in the world mate, they gently caress their own sister and mother. That is not a problem for them.

These are some of the things I witnessed. The culture in WA police is unfortunately based on a vicious cycle. It is based on making as many arrests as possible to get promotion and look good for the bosses. This leads to arresting Aboriginals for the reasons I explained above. The general sentiment in WAPOL is so desensitized towards Aboriginals that they are not even seen as humans anymore. The exact same situation with a white person can end up as “Have a nice day” or a warning etc. whilst it ends up violent arrest and abuse of power.
This should end. Many things have to change. Otherwise, business as usual, things will only get worse and this is bad for all of us. We do not have to like each other but we have to respect each other.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

ASIC v Danny Bro posted:

It's somewhat similar; if it works the same was as Queensland FHOG grants, essentially that money goes towards the build i.e. you don't have to borrow that much extra for your loan. This amount also goes towards calculating your LMI if it applies.

Just be sure that the build contract is entered into between now and the end of the year.

I'm getting towards the end of getting my build contract done (there's been delays due to the block I wanted not being able to get registered till next year), but I think six months should be achievable if you're building a new home. Just be aware of choke points for delays - engineering drawings (which are paid out of your own pocket, and I imagine there'll be a rush for their services now), colour selection (had mine delayed due to Covid-19 restrictions) etc.

Just make sure you've got your land registered very, very early; better yet, have a block of land ready for purchase.

Edit: Typically most banks want you to be out of your probationary period. 12 months at the least is ideal. I was considering changing jobs as well but wanted my finance in first given a strong employment history. Each lender is different so ask around, though probationary periods might cause you to think twice for the moment.

Cheers.

One of the issues dramas some people at work have been having is big delays on the land they bought being titled. There’s a bunch of huge developments going on south of Geelong so there should be plenty of blocks available I guess.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Cool cool co-cool cool cool.

Anyone else in Perth there is a Protest this Saturday at Hyde Park, starting at 12.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

The $25k renobux isn’t for poor strugglers who have managed to scrape together at least $150k (or borrow) on low incomes.

It’s for cashed up retirees and LNP donors who have a low taxable income thanks to handy accounting or a tax free retirement income.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The cops put me in the back of the van with an indigenous guy and drove us over speed bumps really fast to gently caress with us. He was a chill dude Perth cops are the same as all cops. hosed up shitheads. They wouldn't let me read the charge documents and read them to me for sport, it was loving ridiculous. All because I told a 19 odd year old kid to go gently caress himself for not caring that a friend was choke slammed thirty seconds prior.

E The kid was the cop