Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nia should have just dubbed the whole cast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rex is fine when he doesn't try to yell

unfortunately he has to yell regularly

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Is there a way in battle to tell party members to use a specific art? I assume not, unless I'm a massive idiot. I also kinda wish you could set your battle tactics somewhere permanently. I generally want my party to focus the enemy I'm attacking and it's not a huge deal to do it every battle I start, but that shoulda been a QoL thing somewhere. Again, unless I'm just an idiot and it's in there somwhere.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ytlaya posted:

It's more that the main woman love interest character(s) wear very revealing costumes with huge tits and have pretty generic "anime girl" personalities (though Hikari is at least good/interesting occasionally and doesn't quite reach "abusive" levels of tsundere), made even more awkward by the fact that the protagonist is like 13 years old and looks his age. That romance is absolutely ethically dubious (especially since the love interest(s) are like hundreds of years old or something, so I guess there is pedophilia, but in reverse from what you'd expect).

Pyra and Mythra are physically and mentally about 16-18-ish while Rex is 16. They've also spent the intervening centuries between Torna and XC2 asleep in stasis, so I think you're trying to read a bit too much into something that's not there.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

abraxas posted:

Is there a way in battle to tell party members to use a specific art?

It's a mechanic that you can only do it in response to a vision or as part of a chain attack

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Ytlaya posted:

How are people using Shulk's Monado evade skill (if at all)?

I forgot about it's existence till my fight against Reckless Godwin. In the battle it's introduced it's very awkward cause of the reasons you've state, but on other fights it's a godsend for when either you are controlling Shulk and the PC is being super bad at pulling aggro away from you and you are about to eat poo poo, or when you are controlling Reyn and the PC is being super bad at healing you (despite both Sharla and Shulk having their healing skills off cooldown and you are being targeted by a death attack)

Also regarding how the CPU uses Reyn...very badly. I've drawn aggro off him with Sharla despite only focusing on autoattacking and healing and he did not pull it back using his talent art. I've seen CPU using auras, but I have not seen it using Guard Shift, which is ok because Guard Shift is really really bad. Useful for breaking physical attack visions yeah, but there is no way to break out of it that I know of and it lasts for a really really long while and Shulk will generally pull aggro off you and die by the time it expires.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The AI seems bad at everyone lol

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gee Shulk maybe you should use the new ability you just got to get rid of the spikes that are hurting everyone? No? Okay then I'll just carry on....

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Gee Shulk maybe you should use the new ability you just got to get rid of the spikes that are hurting everyone? No? Okay then I'll just carry on....

Between this and watching shulk not cast the spell that lets you hurt mechon Ive decided Shulk is a tremendous rear end in a top hat

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Getting my butt kicked by Tyrea and the Telethia in the Tomb

I think I remember getting stuck here last time I played too.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Barudak posted:

Between this and watching shulk not cast the spell that lets you hurt mechon Ive decided Shulk is a tremendous rear end in a top hat

I got 90% of the way through XB1 before I stopped and I had to play Shulk 100% of the time because AI Shulk would never use the Anti-Mechon Equation.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Good grief I forgot how much the bit in the Ether Mine just does not want to end. The fight with Xord himself is a cake walk but god everything around him just keeps going and going.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jun 3, 2020

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Homora Gaykemi posted:

when you're revving up for a "Dunban is daddy" post but you look up the character ages and realise he's younger than you

anime dot txt

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think you're trying to read a bit too much into something that's not there.

CaptainPsyko posted:

anime dot txt

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
This game got it hooks into me far quicker than XC2 did, I'm enjoying myself, although constantly being toppled in combat is incredibly irritating, I kinda wish there was some dodge move or something so I can get out of the way of the attack that topples my entire party.

As I'm playing this directly after FF7R, I wish I could switch between characters because Reyn sucks at taking aggro or using his topple ability after I used my break one.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I beat Future Connected, only took 13.5 hours although I missed a couple of side quests. I’ll probably go back and kill all the unique monsters & Fogbeasts, because it’s fun and the Ponspector mechanic rules even if I suck at the QTE button prompts. Ending stuff:

I appreciate that they gave Melia a proper ending to her character arc. She’s great and it made it a very fulfilling experience. Also I’m glad they were able to get Jenna Coleman to come back in spite of her being well-known now. Even though her voice doesn’t sound quite like it did back then, which makes some of the battle dialogue jarring.

I just wish they could have figured out anything at all about what the rift and fog king were and why they were there instead of them just being a plot device. Unless I missed something?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

lezard_valeth posted:

I forgot about it's existence till my fight against Reckless Godwin. In the battle it's introduced it's very awkward cause of the reasons you've state, but on other fights it's a godsend for when either you are controlling Shulk and the PC is being super bad at pulling aggro away from you and you are about to eat poo poo, or when you are controlling Reyn and the PC is being super bad at healing you (despite both Sharla and Shulk having their healing skills off cooldown and you are being targeted by a death attack)

With the latter (about controlling Reyn), are you talking about telling Shulk to use it, or does Shulk manually use it when you're in danger?

lezard_valeth posted:

Also regarding how the CPU uses Reyn...very badly. I've drawn aggro off him with Sharla despite only focusing on autoattacking and healing and he did not pull it back using his talent art. I've seen CPU using auras, but I have not seen it using Guard Shift, which is ok because Guard Shift is really really bad. Useful for breaking physical attack visions yeah, but there is no way to break out of it that I know of and it lasts for a really really long while and Shulk will generally pull aggro off you and die by the time it expires.

My Reyn usually pulls aggro off of me within maybe 5-10 seconds if I stop using attack skills.

I guess you're right about Guard Shift; the only times it's really necessary are times when you can do the "Warn" thing and manually tell him to use it.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Pyra and Mythra are physically and mentally about 16-18-ish while Rex is 16. They've also spent the intervening centuries between Torna and XC2 asleep in stasis, so I think you're trying to read a bit too much into something that's not there.

Yeah but Rex looks like he's 13 and Pyra/Mythra look much older. You're correct about their effective age; I was thinking that the time they were awakened before going back to sleep was longer than it was.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 3, 2020

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The Xenoblade age stuff seems like art style issues (and it does have issues) as much as anything, not sure why people are going after that when there’s Rex ending the game with up to two or three robot wives depending on your interpretation of the ending and New Game Plus

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

By the way people were talking about it I was expecting Dunban to be like 22 but he is 30 which is pretty old in anime years.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Forgot how much I liked the soundtrack to this game. So far the new tracks seem as good or better than the originals, which I wasn't expecting.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Cnidaria posted:

By the way people were talking about it I was expecting Dunban to be like 22 but he is 30 which is pretty old in anime years.

That's really weird. Him and Shulk pal around like they grew up together.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Detective No. 27 posted:

That's really weird. Him and Shulk pal around like they grew up together.

Shill hung out with his sister a lot....

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Yeah shulk and fiora spent a lot of time together as kids and dunban had to take care of fiora after their parents died so it makes sense.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Cnidaria posted:

yeah, Dunban isn't really egregiously young, it's more that I've not come to terms with the fact that I'm an old lady lol

He's definitely not a case like Auron from FFX only being 35

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

TheKingofSprings posted:

The Xenoblade age stuff seems like art style issues (and it does have issues) as much as anything, not sure why people are going after that when there’s Rex ending the game with up to two or three robot wives depending on your interpretation of the ending and New Game Plus

smdh if you don't aspire to that level of chad

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I was Sharla's age when I played it on the Wii and now I'm Dunban's age playing it on the Switch....

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mind_Taker posted:

Forgot how much I liked the soundtrack to this game. So far the new tracks seem as good or better than the originals, which I wasn't expecting.

I liked the original soundtrack but the DE one is just off. Most of the new tracks are fine, but some are really bad and are just too busy for their own good. Sounds like 2 tracks are being played at the same time. I really dislike the DE version of You Will Know Our Names.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I was Dunban's age when I played it on Wii.....

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I forgot that Fiora and Dunban are siblings.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I really dislike the DE version of You Will Know Our Names.

Oh you are right. I always heard people hyping up You Will Know Our Names and when I first heard the DE version I was like "meh, XBC2 boss themes are better". Just searched for the original and it's a lot more hype.

Also if XBC1 and XBC2 both take place at the same time, then Rex is probably at the top of the World Tree impatiently tapping his foot right now while Malos smokes a cig in the corner. 25 hours in and only just now made it to chapter 7

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 3, 2020

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It genuinely sounds like they messed up the sound levels and made the guitars too quiet

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

So far the only song that’s better is Guar Plains. I remember liking “One Who Gets in Our Way” in the original, but the DE version isn’t nearly as good.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

lezard_valeth posted:

Oh you are right. I always heard people hyping up You Will Know Our Names and when I first heard the DE version I was like "meh, XBC2 boss themes are better". Just searched for the original and it's a lot more hype.

Also if XBC1 and XBC2 both take place at the same time, then Rex is probably at the top of the World Tree impatiently tapping his foot right now while Malos smokes a cig in the corner. 25 hours in and only just now made it to chapter 7

Ostensibly it's all happening in perfect synchronicity, when Shulk is dicking around for four hours doing odd jobs for Colony 9 and crafting gems Rex is dicking around for four hours doing odd jobs for Mor Ardain and diving for scrap

Also is it just me or did they keep one of Dunban's jumping sounds in the original Japanese? Dude jumps and his voice sounds completely different.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I beat the most difficult enemy in Future Connected, I have a couple final questions before I am finished with this game:

Can I do anything with the dried golden mushroom I picked up at the end?

Also, I’m missing the bottom right item in the collectopedia for the Shoulder, what is it and how do I get it? I’m also missing a couple items from Alcamoth I’ll probably just have to run around to get those. I assume the costume pieces carry over into the main game, yeah? Some of the armor is cool looking.

Edit: of course I found that collectopedia item right after I posted this lol

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 4, 2020

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I never touched rebuilding the colony, am I missing anything essential other than getting the portable gem maker?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I beat the most difficult enemy in Future Connected, I have a couple final questions before I am finished with this game:

Can I do anything with the dried golden mushroom I picked up at the end?

Also, I’m missing the bottom right item in the collectopedia for the Shoulder, what is it and how do I get it? I’m also missing a couple items from Alcamoth I’ll probably just have to run around to get those. I assume the costume pieces carry over into the main game, yeah? Some of the armor is cool looking.

Edit: of course I found that collectopedia item right after I posted this lol

Yes, the costumes that Shulk and Melia unlock in FC carry over to the main game.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Tae posted:

I never touched rebuilding the colony, am I missing anything essential other than getting the portable gem maker?

Yeah, several art book stores, a shitload of quests, tons of items. You’re skipping a huge chunk of the game.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Yeah, several art book stores, a shitload of quests, tons of items. You’re skipping a huge chunk of the game.

Plus building a town, even as kinda bare bones as Colony 6's town-building is, is pretty cool.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Over the course of restoring Colony 6, you unlock something like ten shops, fifty sidequests, and seven heart-to-hearts. There's definitely some equipment exclusive to those shops as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Also increases the level of the crystals in the Ether Mine. I think it's one of the few ways to craft lv 5/6 agility gems.