Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionEyez
Aug 17, 2014

Hwurmp posted:

the terribleness is normalcy

I'm sorry about what Suzy did to you.

But speaking of games, SYNTHETIK Legion Rising is something else.

LionEyez fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
https://twitter.com/SteamDB/status/1268252532746395654

This means, if you don't own the game, you can't look at the package info and get all kinds of nifty info. And it's the end of looking into the Steam database for leaks of upcoming games that no one were supposed to know about.
These tokens are global, so the same token for a package/app/depot is used by all owners/users.

SteamDB has been relying on a bot to get package info, but since the bot doesn't own all the games on Steam, they can't get info on new games anymore.

You can help!

SteamDB has been using a Token Dumper for some time now, to let people run it against their library and get the tokens from games they own and share them with SteamDB.
https://steamdb.info/tokendumper/

If you got obscure games, often buy brand new games, are part of closed betas, or just have a The Joe Man sized Steam library (less will also do), please consider helping out SteamDB by reading up about Token Dumper and run the program.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

LionEyez posted:

True, we live in interesting times. But some day everything will hopefully return to some kind of normalcy - I guess I'm scared I'm being swept up in the neverending maelstrom of güt games and was wondering if there's any gaming monks that can teach me how to balance that poo poo
As far as I know the vast majority of gaming addictions are due to online PvP content. Ranked ladders will suck away thousands of hours of your life in an instant. If you stick to offline single player games you will be avoiding the worst of it right off the bat.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

LionEyez posted:

Hey so since this is the defacto all pc gaming thread - how do you guys deal with gaming addiction rearing up?

Covid is great and all. I can finally live like the hermit I always was, but something tells me there's more to life than gaming. How do you guys manage the hours spent on this hobby vs the rest of life?
I go to work. Been working the whole time.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Scalding Coffee posted:

LionEyez
Aug 17, 2014

No Wave posted:

As far as I know the vast majority of gaming addictions are due to online PvP content. Ranked ladders will suck away thousands of hours of your life in an instant. If you stick to offline single player games you will be avoiding the worst of it right off the bat.

Yeah I already stopped with most PvP games. My old age was making me slower and turns out if you're not good, playing against people that are is kind of frustrating.

The problem with good singleplayer games is they usually end so much sooner. And then it's like..poo poo, how do I fill this vooooid? I have nothing to play! (scans through 100's of unplayed games just waiting to be installed) Nothing I say!

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Cardiovorax posted:

Private reviews don't get included in the average and aren't counted in the number of user reviews that is listed on the store page, last I checked.

thanks!

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Scalding Coffee posted:

same....and it sucks!!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

The Joe Man posted:

same....and it sucks!!

on the one hand, yeah kind of. on the other hand im happy to have the normalcy.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Awesome! posted:

on the one hand, yeah kind of. on the other hand im happy to have the normalcy.
still working 40hrs/wk for poo poo pay and not having the bars to unwind on the weekend gets old real quick

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

The Joe Man posted:

still working 40hrs/wk for poo poo pay and not having the bars to unwind on the weekend gets old real quick

And if you're in the UK you can't even go to someone else's house to netflix and chill!

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Leal posted:

And if you're in the UK you can't even go to someone else's house to netflix and chill!

Or here, in Florida!

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

LionEyez posted:

Yeah I already stopped with most PvP games. My old age was making me slower and turns out if you're not good, playing against people that are is kind of frustrating.

The problem with good singleplayer games is they usually end so much sooner. And then it's like..poo poo, how do I fill this vooooid? I have nothing to play! (scans through 100's of unplayed games just waiting to be installed) Nothing I say!

How do you feel about sandbox games? Terraria, Factorio, Kerbal Space Program, etc. I've sunk at least 200 more hours into Terraria since the 1.4 major update... but I still find time to make the factory grow some more in Factorio, too. And KSP can be very addictive if you like the whole launch stuff into space thing.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Just had a look at my tabs and check out this cool bird:

I don't really think it matters if you play games a lot at the moment. It's not like there are a lot of other options open to most folk.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

drat that is a cool bird

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

if that bird isn't posted at least once on every page there is no hope for mankind

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I'm going to keep the very cool bird in one of my tabs.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

LionEyez posted:

MMOs mostly ones with to s of cosmetic and home options. All of them are basically single player until max level.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

LionEyez posted:

The Play Next feature is generally pretty good. Try using that.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ultrafilter posted:

The Play Next feature is generally pretty good. Try using that.

Play next always just tells me to play bundle trash I’m never interested in. I wish it wouldn’t just show games I’ve never played, but also ones I haven’t played in a while.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Please add coolbird to the steam thread cycle JPG

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Please add coolbird to the steam thread cycle JPG

Just put it in the middle of the cycle.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

LionEyez posted:

ha ha I thought your goal was to not be addicted!!!

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

LionEyez posted:

Hey so since this is the defacto all pc gaming thread - how do you guys deal with gaming addiction rearing up?

Covid is great and all. I can finally live like the hermit I always was, but something tells me there's more to life than gaming. How do you guys manage the hours spent on this hobby vs the rest of life?

Make sure you break up your gaming with exercise and some sort of creative work, preferably something that is done away from the gaming device. Set a specific time for exercise each day to give yourself a little extra motivation to stop playing and actually do it.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

LionEyez posted:

i just shitpost instead of gaming these days. A+ would recommend

more seriously though i've been gaming a lot less as I've gotten :corsair:, and my steam purchases have fallen like a rock to probably a dozen a year. I usually only play games when they've got a new and shiny feeling and have no problem buyting a lot of indie games for full price because it means i'll actually play them right away and interested. when poo poo sits on my library for awhile i just kinda lose interest and probably will never play it. As there isn't a lot of new and shiny stuff that catch my fancy, I usually just don't play very much. I'm not into multiplayer games that much anymore (in part because a lot of them are not my cup of tea or just kind of bad now like Battlefield 5). Most of my gaming time just ends up being Deep Rock Galactic.

but yes also try to do some reading, work out routine (even if it's a lovely 20 minute run 3x a week, thats good and you 'll feel better about yourself), maybe try to do some podcast gaming (snowrunner is great for this, or tower defense games like gemcraft or kingdom rush games).

Xaris fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jun 4, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Xaris posted:

i just shitpost instead of gaming these days. A+ would recommend

:c00lbutt:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Gaming vs irl:

- get a dog so you have to get up regularly for walks
- hold things like family time/social time to be sacred. Gaming is cool until you wake up one day with no friends or family. I don't have specific "every 6pm talk to someone" type advice but basically don't pass up opportunities to talk to folks. This also goes for phonecalls, chatrooms and posting here. Being social is good for you and being able to tell someone about how cool it is you're level 500 feels great.
- Try to mix and match. Gaming is cool but so is reading and watching tv and stuff. Podcasts also work here.

Basically try to have diverse interests that encourage curiosity. From asscreed origins leading me to read about egypt to how playing Doom led me to read the free pdf on how id software programmed Wolfenstein 3D I appreciate the gaming more and have stuff to talk to my friends about.

- One more practical piece of advice: set a bedtime and keep it. I stayed up late playing rimworld last night and I regret it.

Okay, I acknowledge that none of that advice will help if you get so addicted you can't stop playing. Try setting a timer or get a therapist, that's beyond me.

Either way game safe and post about it in here.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

does a nintendog count

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
One of the goon discords consistently gets 2-5 people to play titanfall 2 several nights a week for the past month. The more the merrier.

For those who have never played, I only have 20 hours in it on pc and while I still run into really good players there are still plenty of newbies and average players so it’s not always a stomp. I also tend to find easier matches when I play in the am (west coast us) compared to the evenings.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I wish they made some sort of campaign DLC for Titanfall 2 cause I hate multiplayer. I want to go running up walls with my robot buddy some more.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Awesome! posted:

could be related to deadzone settings?

That was my first guess too but kind of weird that it is windows itself doing it.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Leal posted:

I wish they made some sort of campaign DLC for Titanfall 2 cause I hate multiplayer. I want to go running up walls with my robot buddy some more.

there's a lot of titanfall armor / robot parts ported over to XCOM 2, you can pretend

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Light Gun Man posted:

there's a lot of titanfall armor / robot parts ported over to XCOM 2, you can pretend

I think an actual titanfall srpg / tactics game would work really well

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
If you have a stationary bike at home, Mahjong Soul is on tablets and doesn't require much hand-holding. Play three-four rounds and you've done an hour of solid exercising.

Mahjong is cool. So is the bird.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

LionEyez posted:

There's a tiny person in my house and if I don't feed him and clean him and play with him he yells really loudly and I go to jail

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Party Boat posted:

There's a tiny person in my house and if I don't feed him and clean him and play with him he yells really loudly and I go to jail

You know the Elf on the Shelf isn’t real, right?

Anyone try Cepheus Protocol? It looks cool but I just got burned by Phoenix Point so I’m a bit wary of XCom-alikes right now.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

It's like a high stakes tamagotchi

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Thinking about unexpected Steam releases that may easily fly under the radar...here's FirstQueen1 NEXT, the remake of an old Japanese strategy RPG.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1277320/FirstQueen1_NEXT/

The English translation seems basic yet acceptable. Giantbomb has the following description for the original game:

quote:

First Queen is a 1988 PC-9801 RPG that combines traditional turn-based RPG gameplay with large-scale strategic battles. This game, the first in Kure Software's First Queen series, introduced the Gochyakyara ("Multiple Characters") system that allowed many AI companions to fight alongside the player character. It features a tactical pausable real-time combat system with real-time strategy elements.

The game originated on Japanese computers and would eventually see updated releases for the Super Famicom in 1994 (as First Queen: Ornic Senki) and a Windows PC graphically-enhanced remake in 2001. The game is also known for its involvement with artist Yoshitaka Amano, who would be better known for his work with Square's Final Fantasy.

I distinctly remember staring at the Super Famicom version in old magazines back in the day. The combat looks chaotic but also kinda fun, so I might give this a try.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Anyone try Cepheus Protocol? It looks cool but I just got burned by Phoenix Point so I’m a bit wary of XCom-alikes right now.
I feel burned by Phoenix Point and I played it on GamePass! :v:
But also I'd like to know too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Croccers posted:

I feel burned by Phoenix Point and I played it on GamePass! :v:
But also I'd like to know too.

Its incredible how loving bad Pheonix Point was. If it came out in 2004 you’d begrudgingly accept it because it’s not like there were any XCOM games so maybe you’d try to wring some fun out of it, but releasing that at the end of 2019 when there’s tons of turn based tactics/strategy games out, including XCOM ones, in that state? It’s insane.