Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That really saddens me. I keep thinking that Pheonix Point is still in development and hasn't been released, then someone comes and spoils that dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Its incredible how loving bad Pheonix Point was. If it came out in 2004 you’d begrudgingly accept it because it’s not like there were any XCOM games so maybe you’d try to wring some fun out of it, but releasing that at the end of 2019 when there’s tons of turn based tactics/strategy games out, including XCOM ones, in that state? It’s insane.
Yeah, if it came out during the UFO: Afterthing games and whatnot it might of gotten away with a bunch of it.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I feel like we're due for another Steam sale soon, anybody got any idea when it's due? We normally get one mid-year ish.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

LionEyez posted:

I'm sorry about what Suzy did to you.

But speaking of games, SYNTHETIK Legion Rising is something else.

something else good? something else terrible? Memetastic? tell us more

Orv
May 4, 2011

Artelier posted:

I feel like we're due for another Steam sale soon, anybody got any idea when it's due? We normally get one mid-year ish.

June 25th - July 7th was the latest leak I believe.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Orv posted:

June 25th - July 7th was the latest leak I believe.

Thanks! I guess it's time for me to (still) ponder if I want Yakuza Kiwami 2 right now or not then!

...how fast do you get to cabaret club/any zany minigames?

Artelier fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jun 4, 2020

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Artelier posted:

Thanks! I guess it's time for me to (still) ponder if I want Yakuza Kiwami 2 right now or not then!

...how fast do you get to cabaret club/any zany minigames?

I just started chapter 6 and am at 19 hours. Without spoiling anything, you will have access to zany minigames fairly quickly. Really opens up in chapter 5, so maybe a couple hours if you just go straight for the main story and skip all substories like some kind of maniac.

Gamebillet has it for $12.98, Gamesplanet for $12.99, or Fanatical for $13.49 if you don't want to wait. Pay attention to system requirements though if you get it on another site. It requires a beefier machine than either 0 or Kiwami. Almost all interiors are connected to the main world for seamless loading.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jun 4, 2020

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Leal posted:

I wish they made some sort of campaign DLC for Titanfall 2 cause I hate multiplayer. I want to go running up walls with my robot buddy some more.

You could try Frontier Defence, the 4-player co-op horde mode. It's super fun and you should have no trouble getting a game.

double nine posted:

SYNTHETIK is fantastic.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

wielder posted:

Thinking about unexpected Steam releases that may easily fly under the radar...here's FirstQueen1 NEXT, the remake of an old Japanese strategy RPG.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1277320/FirstQueen1_NEXT/

The English translation seems basic yet acceptable. Giantbomb has the following description for the original game:

I distinctly remember staring at the Super Famicom version in old magazines back in the day. The combat looks chaotic but also kinda fun, so I might give this a try.

Damnit, I'm trying to save for the summer sale, not spend my money willy-nilly. But this looks really cool....

LionEyez
Aug 17, 2014

double nine posted:

Synthetik is the best game I've played in ages. It's something like a twin-stick action rogue-lite, although these terms really don't do it justice.

I've always wanted to like rogue-lites/likes but when playing most of these I can't shake the feeling that you're just essentially dying (to sudden and sometimes unfair difficulty spikes) and then doing the same things over and over. It's hard to balance something that's easy enough to get into but also hard enough that it takes awhile to do everything there is to do.

Synthetik hits this sweet spot for me, where yes it's difficult as balls at first, but mostly fair. A full run to the end boss is about an hour. It's the perfect 'side' game where you could do a run or two every day and gradually get better. There's a lot of classes (with XP levels), items and weapons to unlock so plenty of meta progression, so dying usually means at least some progress towards a goal, even if only it's some class XP points which unlock a new perk for that class. The levels are varied enough in terms of enemy placements that it never becomes a snooze. And you can apply difficulty modifiers to your game once you start feeling a little comfortable with the combat. This makes even the normally tame first levels a lot more challenging - a perfect way to keep veterans interested in your game a lot longer.

Every run is different due to the combination of items, weapons and stat upgrades you'll find. And it's a blast trying to pick the best ones. A rare gun drop can really carry you, but sometimes it's also nice to be forced to use a horrible gun that - with the right upgrades - actually becomes a powerhouse too. Or finding out that that weak pew pew laser gun actually gives you a permanent extra shield point per kill so it might be worth holding onto for a while.. I've played this for 100+ hours easily and I feel like there's still a lot to find out (such how long the levels after the final boss keep looping with tougher and tougher enemies?). Loadouts I have relied on in the past turned out to actually not all be that great on the higher difficulties. The game basically forces you to roll with whatever you got and, for the most part, everything is viable.

It also helps that Synthetik has a kickass soundtrack and a fairly unique aesthetic.

(I do have some gripes about the last rooms and the 'final boss'. In a game with so much freedom, it's sad that I feel like having to gear up specifically for this encounter. It's not as bad as in FTL though)

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I love synthetik for the minute-to-minute but like most games and especially rogue likes where I'm terrible at avoiding being hit: the bosses feel like total buzz kills.

Still, great game, glad I got it.

LionEyez
Aug 17, 2014

Xaris posted:

i just shitpost instead of gaming these days. A+ would recommend

more seriously though i've been gaming a lot less as I've gotten :corsair:, and my steam purchases have fallen like a rock to probably a dozen a year. I usually only play games when they've got a new and shiny feeling and have no problem buyting a lot of indie games for full price because it means i'll actually play them right away and interested. when poo poo sits on my library for awhile i just kinda lose interest and probably will never play it. As there isn't a lot of new and shiny stuff that catch my fancy, I usually just don't play very much. I'm not into multiplayer games that much anymore (in part because a lot of them are not my cup of tea or just kind of bad now like Battlefield 5). Most of my gaming time just ends up being Deep Rock Galactic.

but yes also try to do some reading, work out routine (even if it's a lovely 20 minute run 3x a week, thats good and you 'll feel better about yourself), maybe try to do some podcast gaming (snowrunner is great for this, or tower defense games like gemcraft or kingdom rush games).

StrixNebulosa posted:

Gaming vs irl:

- get a dog so you have to get up regularly for walks
- hold things like family time/social time to be sacred. Gaming is cool until you wake up one day with no friends or family. I don't have specific "every 6pm talk to someone" type advice but basically don't pass up opportunities to talk to folks. This also goes for phonecalls, chatrooms and posting here. Being social is good for you and being able to tell someone about how cool it is you're level 500 feels great.
- Try to mix and match. Gaming is cool but so is reading and watching tv and stuff. Podcasts also work here.

Basically try to have diverse interests that encourage curiosity. From asscreed origins leading me to read about egypt to how playing Doom led me to read the free pdf on how id software programmed Wolfenstein 3D I appreciate the gaming more and have stuff to talk to my friends about.

- One more practical piece of advice: set a bedtime and keep it. I stayed up late playing rimworld last night and I regret it.

Okay, I acknowledge that none of that advice will help if you get so addicted you can't stop playing. Try setting a timer or get a therapist, that's beyond me.

Either way game safe and post about it in here.

And before I forget to reply to these. Thanks!

I actually am getting therapy for something so it's very likely my gaming habits are in large part escapism, but yeah I have to make sure I don't lose sight of the rest of the world. I'm lucky I have two dogs and a non-gaming girlfriend to tear me away from time to time. Although I do think I should work out more regularly and set certain time limits for myself, especially at night. So thank you for the reminders.

For a book tip, especially apt given the state of the world: Humankind by Rutger Bregman. A pretty insightful essay that says humankind are 'hardwired for kindness, geared toward cooperation rather than competition, and more inclined to trust rather than distrust one another'. He also has a few TED talks I believe.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

LionEyez posted:

And before I forget to reply to these. Thanks!

I actually am getting therapy for something so it's very likely my gaming habits are in large part escapism, but yeah I have to make sure I don't lose sight of the rest of the world. I'm lucky I have two dogs and a non-gaming girlfriend to tear me away from time to time. Although I do think I should work out more regularly and set certain time limits for myself, especially at night. So thank you for the reminders.

For a book tip, especially apt given the state of the world: Humankind by Rutger Bregman. A pretty insightful essay that says humankind are 'hardwired for kindness, geared toward cooperation rather than competition, and more inclined to trust rather than distrust one another'. He also has a few TED talks I believe.

Not gonna lie, the big reason I lost the last two nights to Rimworld was a direct response to Current Political Events stress. Turning off twitter and worrying about my colonists did wonders for forgetting about the real world. But also getting enough sleep is really nice too.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Pulled the trigger and coming from 0, I have to say Yakuza Kiwami 2 is beautiful.

BEAUTIFUL.

whoops didn't realise the cursor was there BUT YOU GET THE IDEA

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Huh, A Kingdoms of Amalur remaster got stealth/accidentally announced.

I remember hearing that THQ Nordic picked up the license and were trying to work out with EA & Rhode Island (yes, the state) to figure out who owned the publishing rights.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Veotax posted:

Huh, A Kingdoms of Amalur remaster got stealth/accidentally announced.
Doesn't really seem to address the issue of the game being not very good in the first place.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Since THQ is now the official rights holder, I can no longer in good conscience recommend Kingdoms of Amalur as I won't be receiving any residuals.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Amalur is one of those games that I wanted to like a lot more than I did. It's fun enough for a while and the whole multi-classing concept it has going is interesting. You really don't want make the mistake of treating every area as something that needs to be fully completed before you move on to the next one, though. That's what eventually burned me out on it before I even made it to the real plot of the game, whatever it is.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jun 4, 2020

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

Since THQ is now the official rights holder, I can no longer in good conscience recommend Kingdoms of Amalur as I won't be receiving any residuals.
On the plus side, neither will Schilling.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If you want to play Amalur but have it be good instead play Divinity 2 (not Original Sin 2, Divinity 2).

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I wonder what gameplay tweaks they're making.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
As long as I can keep doing sick combos idgaf

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
How is the tech progression in Gears Tactics? One of the things I live about Xcom and felt was missing in Chimera squad was the journey from underpowered human guns to making better versions of the alien's weapons. Worried that GT will be more like CS since it's a prequel.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Oh, speak of the devil

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1268558509324394497

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Titanfall 2 had better be on that list so help me god

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Darkrenown posted:

How is the tech progression in Gears Tactics? One of the things I live about Xcom and felt was missing in Chimera squad was the journey from underpowered human guns to making better versions of the alien's weapons. Worried that GT will be more like CS since it's a prequel.

There's no real tech progression and no metagame to speak of. You basically get gun and armor parts as loot drops and rewards for completing a level, those parts can then add bonuses and passive abilities to a character and come in various rarities. For example, you can give your scout some boots with extra movespeed, a shotgun barrel which staggers enemies on hit, and a stock that lets her heal upon killing, that sort of stuff. Between matches all you're doing is equipping your soldiers and levelling up a fairly extensive skill tree.

Gears Tactics is one of my favourite games in the genre and really moves it forward in a lot of ways, but it's also one that could really use a sequel to expand on what's missing.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 4, 2020

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

Oh, speak of the devil

Where’s Anthem

Orv
May 4, 2011
A collectors edition for a remaster is certainly a thing.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mordja posted:

Titanfall 2 had better be on that list so help me god

That was my thought and alas, it is not.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Man I sure hope the state of Rhode Island and the former employees of 38 Studios got paid.

Orv
May 4, 2011

ZearothK posted:

That was my thought and alas, it is not.

Seemingly none of their primarily MP offerings, after the initial split, have moved to Steam, Battlefield/front, Titanfall and Anthem (lol) are all missing.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kibayasu posted:

If you want to play Amalur but have it be good instead play Divinity 2 (not Original Sin 2, Divinity 2).

:yeah:

Plus you get fun dragon shooty bits to break up the RPG stuff

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Who in the world got Kingdoms of Amalur feelies approved.

I liked it but it's like gaming Graham crackers. The original anti masturbation ones, not these sugar sweet bullshit. The best description you can give about KoA is that it exists. Who feels so strongly about it they want a statue of *looks at fine print* Alyn Shir.

Blattdorf posted:

If you have a stationary bike at home, Mahjong Soul is on tablets and doesn't require much hand-holding. Play three-four rounds and you've done an hour of solid exercising.

Mahjong is cool. So is the bird.
I've started playing Katamari Damacy on the excercise bike. Working on my limb independence.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Croccers posted:

Yeah, if it came out during the UFO: Afterthing games and whatnot it might of gotten away with a bunch of it.

Afterthing was good but Afterstuff made too many nonsensical changes

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Orv posted:

Seemingly none of their primarily MP offerings, after the initial split, have moved to Steam, Battlefield/front, Titanfall and Anthem (lol) are all missing.

Maybe this? It’s the kind of thing that’d normally start being marketed in about 90 minutes. It’d be super weird to have a new place to market your subscription service but keep off of it many of the games people would want.

https://twitter.com/JeffGrubb/status/1268559082975162368

Orv
May 4, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

Afterthing was good but Afterstuff made too many nonsensical changes

Afterjunk.

Actually one of my fondest memories ever in video games is playing the MP PvP in those AfterX games with a couple friends and it just being so incredibly broken that we didn't stop laughing the entire time.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
My brother prefers Aftershock/Light to nu-XCOM games.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Orv posted:

Afterjunk.

Actually one of my fondest memories ever in video games is playing the MP PvP in those AfterX games with a couple friends and it just being so incredibly broken that we didn't stop laughing the entire time.

Those games had PvP?

Jesus Christ

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Huh, weird.

I noticed that Dragon Age 2 was put back on Steam with this (DA2 was removed for sale on Steam when EA left, probably as this was the game when Valve started kicking up a fuss about DLC not beiong sold through Steam), so I looked up DA2 in my library to see if they had added a Steam background and icons and poo poo.

I found this:

Apparently they just uploaded a new version of the game rather than updating the last one?

Looking at the store page for the new version, it looks like it adds Origin as DRM. It also says I own it, when I clicked install from the store page it added the new one to my account. Weird, never seen a company do this before.

EDIT: DA2 sucks, that goes without saying. I was just curious.

Veotax fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Mordja posted:

My brother prefers Aftershock/Light to nu-XCOM games.

They are more interesting and mostly better overall. Less boardgamey (and also less polished obviously). Although I think Aftermath is the best one, because it has the best difficulty waves (starts hard, gets easier, gets hard, gets easier).