Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZRM
Nov 25, 2007
This thread is off limits to them until they are ready. Until they have earned the right to go there. A million episodes from now.

We are beyond the rim now, where we must stay. One day, they will join us, and see all those who went ahead of them. All those that were missed, for so long. They will not be alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

ZRM posted:

This thread is off limits to them until they are ready. Until they have earned the right to go there. A million episodes from now.

We are beyond the rim now, where we must stay. One day, they will join us, and see all those who went ahead of them. All those that were missed, for so long. They will not be alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tj4qfe9afs

Blind watchers: "Get the hell out of our thread!"

We're literally the Shadows and the Vorlons.

Edit: Spoilers.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jun 4, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

You just reminded me of something my mother said the first time she saw 4X06. She was intrigued that after Lorien tells them that it's time to go it was the Shadows who asked for reassurance that they wouldn't be left alone. It's almost something that you'd expect from a younger child, but the Shadows are the older race.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Jedit posted:

You just reminded me of something my mother said the first time she saw 4X06. She was intrigued that after Lorien tells them that it's time to go it was the Shadows who asked for reassurance that they wouldn't be left alone. It's almost something that you'd expect from a younger child, but the Shadows are the older race.

Agreed, that was the vibe I picked up from that scene the first time I saw it, the Shadows and the Vorlons put up airs of greatness and enlightment but I would not be surprised if it was confirmed they were among the youngest of the eldest races and they longed for the approval of Daddy Lorien and their older siblings.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I believe the Shadows are among the oldest, but then I suddenly doubt myself on that for some reason.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I think Delenn calls them the oldest at one point. Maybe when first explaining things to Sheridan. When convincing him to let Morden go, now that I think of it.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Vavrek posted:

I think Delenn calls them the oldest at one point. Maybe when first explaining things to Sheridan. When convincing him to let Morden go, now that I think of it.

That's because Delenn doesn't know about the other Old Ones or Lorien. Her opinion is entirely relative to her own race.

And yes, it is absolutely implied that the Vorlons and the Shadows are some of the younger Old races and the even the other Old Ones don't particularly respect them. Lorien flat out says that they revere him as the Oldest, so the parent/child relationship is explicit. (or maybe grandparent I guess)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Doctor Zero posted:

That's because Delenn doesn't know about the other Old Ones or Lorien. Her opinion is entirely relative to her own race.

She knows about one, but not the other.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Jedit posted:

She knows about one, but not the other.

Does she? Like the Tiki gods and the like? Come to think of it, you are right. She talks about the old ones (plural) walking through the galaxy like gods. I always thought she just meant the Vorlons and Shadows. Regardless, I'm quite sure the tone of the delivery of that line was deliberate, like a child feeling ashamed after calming down from a tantrum.

E: Yeah, you are right. Here is the whole exchange:

Delenn : [In Delenn's quarters] There are beings in the universe billions of years older than any of our races. Once, long ago, they walked among the stars like giants. Vast and timeless, they taught all the younger races to explore and create great empires. But, to all things, there is an end. Slowly, the First Ones explored beyond the rim never to return. Some simply disappeared.
Capt. John Sheridan : Delenn, I'm sure this is all very fascinating but what does any of this have to do with Morden?
Delenn : Not all of the First Ones have gone away. A few stayed behind watching and waiting for the day when they may be needed. When the Shadows come again.
Capt. John Sheridan : Shadows?
Delenn : We have no other name for them. The Shadows were old when even the Ancients were young. They battled each other over and over across a million years. The last great war against the Shadows was 10,000 years ago. It was the last time the Ancients walked openly among us. But the Shadows were only defeated, not destroyed. A thousand years ago, the Shadows returned to their places of power, rebuilt them, and began to stretch forth their hand. Before they could strike they were defeated by an alliance of worlds including the Minbari and the few remaining First Ones who have not yet passed beyond the veil. When it was over, the First Ones left. All but one.
Capt. John Sheridan : There's still one of them left? Where?
Delenn : [Delenn looks at Kosh and Sheridan realizes what she means] That is why Kosh cannot leave his encounter suit. He would be recognized.
Capt. John Sheridan : Recognized by whom?
Kosh : Everyone.

So perhaps the Shadows evolved after Lorien's race who (speculation) saw them like children. This would explain why Lorien is on Zhahadum and not with the Vorlons instead. And also why Lorien is so tolerant of them. He probably finally realizes that like a parent with a delinquent kid, that something extreme must be done. I always wondered about that.

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jun 4, 2020

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

What ep do they meet morden? Is that signs and portents?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

sebmojo posted:

What ep do they meet morden? Is that signs and portents?

In The Gathering. He's a spy on Babylon 5 C&C. :haw:

No, you are right.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Doctor Zero posted:

In The Gathering. He's a spy on Babylon 5 C&C. :haw:

No, you are right.

Lol yep

The other wtf moment is seeing Walter White in s4

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

sebmojo posted:

Lol yep

The other wtf moment is seeing Walter White in s4

Haha, at the time it was Malcom's Dad

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Iron Crowned posted:

Actually, I think he was just Dr.Tim Whatley, DDS.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Doctor Zero posted:

And yes, it is absolutely implied that the Vorlons and the Shadows are some of the younger Old races and the even the other Old Ones don't particularly respect them. Lorien flat out says that they revere him as the Oldest, so the parent/child relationship is explicit. (or maybe grandparent I guess)

I think it’s fairly clear that the Minbari understanding of the Shadows is based almost entirely on what the Vorlons told them.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Iron Crowned posted:

Malcolm in the Middle started in 2000, two years after Babylon 5 ended.

I never watched Seinfeld, so the first time I saw an episode of Malcolm I had the opposite reaction - "Hey, isn't that the dead Ranger guy?"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Malcolm in the Middle started in 2000, two years after B5 ended.

Well, they were airing reruns on the Sci-Fi Channel at the time

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Narsham posted:

I think it’s fairly clear that the Minbari understanding of the Shadows is based almost entirely on what the Vorlons told them.

Pretty much this. I thought they were of a similar age given that the First Ones trusted both of them and given their parity in technology.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

V-Men posted:

Pretty much this. I thought they were of a similar age given that the First Ones trusted both of them and given their parity in technology.

It's mentioned somewhere that the Vorlons are very slightly younger than the Shadows, and Delenn says the Shadows are the oldest remaining race of the First Ones - the rest having passed beyond the Rim or just disappeared.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Jedit posted:

It's mentioned somewhere that the Vorlons are very slightly younger than the Shadows, and Delenn says the Shadows are the oldest remaining race of the First Ones - the rest having passed beyond the Rim or just disappeared.

Yeah see my spoiler blob above. That was always my impression too, but I think it's a bigger gap than I had thought. Similar to how the Minbari are older and more advanced than the humans. I suppose on a cosmic scale this is "just slightly" but it probably made a big difference in the beginning (no pun intended).

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ok who died.

Oh whew.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I took huge inspiration from The Shadows when I played a Setite in Vampire: the Masquerade, especially the whole "What do you want?" thing.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Narsham posted:

I think it's reasonable to treat what the Vorlons told to the Minbari with a grain of salt, as Kosh said, understanding is a three-edged sword... something something cryptic bullshit

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Oh man one of the younger races is about to watch Signs and Portents (S01E13), should be really fantastic to see their response.

I appreciated their questions about VCR.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Doctor Zero posted:

Delenn : [In Delenn's quarters] There are beings in the universe billions of years older than any of our races. Once, long ago, they walked among the stars like giants. Vast and timeless, they taught all the younger races to explore and create great empires. But, to all things, there is an end. Slowly, the First Ones explored beyond the rim never to return. Some simply disappeared.
Capt. John Sheridan : Delenn, I'm sure this is all very fascinating but what does any of this have to do with Morden?
Delenn : Not all of the First Ones have gone away. A few stayed behind watching and waiting for the day when they may be needed. When the Shadows come again.
Delenn : We have no other name for them. The Shadows were old when even the Ancients were young. They battled each other over and over across a million years. The last great war against the Shadows was 10,000 years ago. It was the last time the Ancients walked openly among us. But the Shadows were only defeated, not destroyed. A thousand years ago, the Shadows returned to their places of power, rebuilt them, and began to stretch forth their hand. Before they could strike they were defeated by an alliance of worlds including the Minbari and the few remaining First Ones who have not yet passed beyond the veil. When it was over, the First Ones left. All but one.
Delenn : [Delenn looks at Kosh and Sheridan realizes what she means] That is why Kosh cannot leave his encounter suit. He would be recognized.

Goose bumps, even after all this time.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I think anyone who says anything even approaching being cute in that other thread should eat a ban. Gloves off it's go time.

Also some of those folks don't even post in this thread so as far as they know that is the only B5 thread.

Edit: Or they do know but assume this thread is full of SMG types posting 3000 word essays on why the mimbari are actually more evil than the shadows.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

CainFortea posted:

I think anyone who says anything even approaching being cute in that other thread should eat a ban. Gloves off it's go time.

I agree, let's keep them pure.

If my sharing my excitement of what is to come for them is considered in the above, toss me my ban as well.

How many newbies are in there? 3? We should get a tracker of some kind to see where they're at and allow spoilers up to that low-water mark. If they've all seen through S01E10, that's what we're allowed to discuss.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

CainFortea posted:

the mimbari are actually more evil than the shadows.

Agree with both

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Babylon 5 related:

The Babylon Project 3.7.0 ( a total conversion MOD for Freespace 2) has been released on Knossos

https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=96368.0

quote:

The Babylon Project 3.7.0 has been released on Knossos
The contents for this release include:

Campaigns

Achen Schooling Flight
Dark Children
Earth Minbari War Mini Campaign
EBW-Earth Brakiri War
Guardian of Light
In the Name of the Emperor
Infestation
Io Training Wing
Operation Black Sun
Operation Isolation
Operation Suppression
Raider Wars
Relic
Survivor
Tale EAS Janus: EA-Minbari War
Fortune Hunter 2259
Fortune Hunter 2260
Fortune Hunter 2261

Single Missions

A Distant Star
And Now A Word
A View from the Gallery
A Voice in the Wilderness
The Fall of Night
In the Beginning
Points of Departure
Severed Dreams
Shadow Dancing
Signs and Portents
The Battle of the Line
The Long Twilight Struggle
Vartas System Cinematic
Human-Narn Contact
Call of the Sirens
The Bad Dream

Updates:
Fixed all ship and star names in mission files
Added a hud_gauages table (overdhill)
Added a post_processing table (overdhill)
Added Custom Wingmen HUD Gauge (by wookieejedi)
Added Scripted Message Gauge (by Axem)
Updated strings table (Orph3u5)
Added radar icons (Orph3u5}
Fixed nameplates (Orph3u5)
Fixed Aurora thrusters (Orph3u5)
Aim Assist for the lower two difficulty levels (overdhill)
Play testing some of the missions by wesp5

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

TraderStav posted:

If my sharing my excitement of what is to come for them is considered in the above, toss me my ban as well.

How many newbies are in there? 3? We should get a tracker of some kind to see where they're at and allow spoilers up to that low-water mark. If they've all seen through S01E10, that's what we're allowed to discuss.

There's three right now - The Aardvark, VG and The Doctor. But I don't think we should discuss anything at all, because others may join.

And I mean, don't discuss anything. Even telling them that Bester is named for the author in universe because he was adopted as an infant would raise questions, and those questions constitute spoilers.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I wonder if this is what it was like back on Vorlon Prime, "Lorien damnit Kosh and other Kosh, stop ruining the surprise or we're pulling you back from Minbar"

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jedit posted:

There's three right now - The Aardvark, VG and The Doctor. But I don't think we should discuss anything at all, because others may join.

And I mean, don't discuss anything. Even telling them that Bester is named for the author in universe because he was adopted as an infant would raise questions, and those questions constitute spoilers.

I think besters name coming from an irl sci fi author is fine, yeesh. People are being good, posting spoilers is really bad but constantly yelling about it isn't that much better. There are loads of mods reading, actual spoilers will be punished and can be edited out if needed

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

sebmojo posted:

I think besters name coming from an irl sci fi author is fine, yeesh.

Oh, no, telling them that JMS named the character for the author is perfectly OK. But if you say that Bester was adopted as an infant and named for the author, that's going to raise questions. For one thing it will tell them that he'll be back, and that I'd like to keep as a surprise.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

CainFortea posted:

Also some of those folks don't even post in this thread so as far as they know that is the only B5 thread.

Edit: Or they do know but assume this thread is full of SMG types posting 3000 word essays on why the mimbari are actually more evil than the shadows.

TraderStav posted:

I agree. I always enjoy hearing from people watching for the first time. In this thread we had a few and it was always made me chuckle at their reactions. Nobody should ruin their fun. Trader jokes but I really wish there was a sticky tracker of some kind to view their progress.If no other reason that I could silently giggle at what they are about to watch.

Earlier in the thread I loved hearing that one guys view on the characters in real time and how it changed. Hearing him go: "G'kar is a jerk but I kinda like him" to :munch: to :stare: to :stwoon: then :gbsmith:
It was a fun journey. I rewatched the final few episodes again the other day and man...Doc Franklins still hits hard. No idea why. Still makes me weepy when I remember them saying "G'Kar and Franklin are exploring beyond the rim" in some other special.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Von_Doom posted:

I agree. I always enjoy hearing from people watching for the first time. In this thread we had a few and it was always made me chuckle at their reactions. Nobody should ruin their fun. Trader jokes but I really wish there was a sticky tracker of some kind to view their progress.If no other reason that I could silently giggle at what they are about to watch.

Earlier in the thread I loved hearing that one guys view on the characters in real time and how it changed. Hearing him go: "G'kar is a jerk but I kinda like him" to :munch: to :stare: to :stwoon: then :gbsmith:
It was a fun journey. I rewatched the final few episodes again the other day and man...Doc Franklins still hits hard. No idea why. Still makes me weepy when I remember them saying "G'Kar and Franklin are exploring beyond the rim" in some other special.

wasn't it gkar, franklin and lyta? best space buds!

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I just finished ep 18 s5 of my b5 rewatch, and Londo's fate really bums me out. Despite it all, despite what he did, and despite him being the author of his own fate, he deserved better. And the idea that all his friends would think he turned on them again while he is all alone and desperate to protect them is just terrible beyond words.

I will be eager to see the newbies response when they get here. In oh, 6 months? :v:

Edit: G'kars response to his newfound cult was hilarious though

McCloud fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 4, 2020

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Von_Doom posted:

That may have been me, I did my first watch in December and shared a lot of thoughts here.

Keep the tracker idea and drop the posting up to that level. I want to see where they are all at!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm still trying to find a way to re-watch the show without paying 100+ bucks.

Not looking good so far.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Doctor Zero posted:

Does she? Like the Tiki gods and the like? Come to think of it, you are right. She talks about the old ones (plural) walking through the galaxy like gods. I always thought she just meant the Vorlons and Shadows. Regardless, I'm quite sure the tone of the delivery of that line was deliberate, like a child feeling ashamed after calming down from a tantrum.

So perhaps the Shadows evolved after Lorien's race who (speculation) saw them like children. This would explain why Lorien is on Zhahadum and not with the Vorlons instead. And also why Lorien is so tolerant of them. He probably finally realizes that like a parent with a delinquent kid, that something extreme must be done. I always wondered about that.

"Delenn, why do I feel like I've read this book before?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Just finished Sleeping in Light. I think if i ever don't shed a few tears while watching SIL I will be well and truly dead inside.

During my rewatch, one of the things i've come to appreciate is how much Mira Furlan can emote with just a facial expression. Peter Jurasik and Andreas Katsulas get a lot of credit for their charismatic portrayals, but Mira can convey so much with just her eyes, it's really amazing.