Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Velius posted:

How do you deal with Tamiya decals? I’ve tried picking them, cutting them out with an exacto or pruning, and nothing works. Is there some secret magic to them?

Which solvent are you using?

Tamiya decals are thick and need a strong setting solution. I prefer Mr Mark Setter/Softer. Havent had much luck with Micro Set/Sol and Tamiya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Symetrique posted:

Which solvent are you using?

Tamiya decals are thick and need a strong setting solution. I prefer Mr Mark Setter/Softer. Havent had much luck with Micro Set/Sol and Tamiya.

So are you supposed to spray the decal with solvent before trying to get it off the pad? I’m really clueless about this, so assume I’m trying to pick at them like stickers.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Velius posted:

So are you supposed to spray the decal with solvent before trying to get it off the pad? I’m really clueless about this, so assume I’m trying to pick at them like stickers.

Oh. No.

Cut the decals out and soak them in water for a bit. They slide off the paper backing once saturated enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVFIK-GmkXE

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Velius posted:

What in the.....

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

What in the.....

I just found the separate sheet for decal handling in one of my sets, so I guess it’s on me for not digging around for extra information. Thanks for the video link!

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Velius posted:

I just found the separate sheet for decal handling in one of my sets, so I guess it’s on me for not digging around for extra information. Thanks for the video link!
Ha, don't feel bad, I was similarly confused the first time I used decals. The instructions were like, a tiny footnote on the introduction page.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Gran Turismo anyone?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Gran Turismo anyone?

Tight !

I first encountered decals at age 8, with no model-making mentor handy. Somehow, I got them on the model in a sufficiently accurate alignment that you could tell how it was supposed to be. Now I'm spinning up an airbrush setup and making hissing noises whenever I consider that I'm going to have to deal with decals again.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Losing my goddamn mind on this kit:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Symetrique posted:

That's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. :lol:

Just make sure you post pics before it goes completely.

That red is breathtaking.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Symetrique posted:

Looks great! Do you have to do rigging now?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Symetrique posted:

Extremely good.

Anyone have any favorite resources for upping my photo game? I'm thinking of finally upgrading from my phone and a cardboard box.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Ensign Expendable posted:

Looks great! Do you have to do rigging now?

This kit is kinda weird so final assembly is likely gonna happen at the same time I do the rigging, since the lower wings cant really support themselves without the rigging/struts. Still have some weathering and touchups to do as well.

grassy gnoll posted:

Extremely good.

Anyone have any favorite resources for upping my photo game? I'm thinking of finally upgrading from my phone and a cardboard box.

Consider getting/making one of these lights and shooting with the manual mode on your phone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL3uZ88vA_0

If you want an actual camera, your best bet is to buy used unless a crazy sale rolls around.

krupa
Apr 27, 2006
I bought this years ago after seeing it in this thread because its so stupid. But, now I've got time, I can get around to making a diorama for it. Question is, what part of Europe did US and German paratroopers fight each other? Want to research the type of terrain/foliage ill need for this one.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/master-box-mb35157-us-and-german-paratroopers--322001

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I know Normandy for sure. Not 100% sure if the 6th Fallschirmjägerregiment was ever far north enough to hit the end of the 101st Airborne in Holland, and most of the rest of the 1. Fallschirm-Armee was just regular army troops. The 1. Fallschirm-Panzer Division Hermann Göring was in combat with the 82nd on Sicily but they didn't have any paratroopers at all. Dunno about the rest of Italy. The detached 504th PIR might have seen some?

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

:chloe:

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

I think FJ regiment 6 fought with the 101st during Market Garden.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I just learned the hard way that letting a decal sit vertically after soaking it with Micro Sol is not a good idea.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Molentik posted:

I think FJ regiment 6 fought with the 101st during Market Garden.
Digging more overnight, they redeployed north for the counter-attack on Veghel so the 501st PIR is also in the running here.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Furism posted:

I just learned the hard way that letting a decal sit vertically after soaking it with Micro Sol is not a good idea.

Did it melt down the side of the model?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
If I'm doing a bike engine (1:12 scale as mentioned earlier in the thread), should I apply a wash? All I have is Vallejo's Black Wash, Panel Line Accent Color, Nuln Oil and Agrax Earthshade. I was thinking to use the Black Wash (maybe a 1:1 mix with medium?).

Charliegrs posted:

Did it melt down the side of the model?

Not completely but it definitely moved and it was a pain in the rear end to put back in place - I even tore off a tiny part of it :(

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Is vallejo's wash water based? I think a small pin wash with the panel liner would make it pop nicely without dulling the surface.

Sultan Tarquin fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 5, 2020

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Phi230 posted:

Oh god grogs of the future yelling at eachother about shades of grey taken on iphones vs. samsungs

You say this like the model railroad (and even the railroad preservation) community isn't doing this already. I can think of 2 members in our club that are, shall we say, hands-on with the manufacturers over this sort of thing.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Is vallejo's wash water based? I think a small pin wash with the panel liner would make it pop nicely without dulling the surface.

It is.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Are there any good tutorials or youtube channels on painting large scale busts? I see some amazing work with skintones and the eyes and don't even know where to start.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

SkunkDuster posted:

Are there any good tutorials or youtube channels on painting large scale busts? I see some amazing work with skintones and the eyes and don't even know where to start.

Lots out there. If you plan to do a lot of statues/busts, go to The Clubhouse, and register there. That's the best garage-kit site on the net, filled with loads of talented people showing off their work and providing tips. It's also the best source for buying unique, low-run garage kits that you won't see anywhere else.

For some video instruction, I really like Rafael Robledo. He does amazing work, provides commentary in english and spanish, and covers a wide variety of subjects.
Rafael Robledo - https://www.youtube.com/user/rrjrstatueman/videos

But in general, just hop on Youtube and search for "garage kit" and then the subject your looking for, like "garage kit eyes" or "garage kit veining". Lots of painters out there.

If you really want the holy-grail though, go register a free Premium Trial account at The Stan Winston School of Character Arts, and watch all the vids you can in the week they give you. There are loads of painting vids there by the absolute masters of the medium. Jordu Schell, John Cherevka, Tim Gore, Casey Love, a serious masterclass in statue and bust painting. And if you wann go crazy, they'll teach you how to make animatronics, cast a life-size t-rex, do character makeup, anything you'd need to make do FX on a movie.

If you want to go old school, Amazing Figure Modeler is a great quarterly magazine filled with loads of reviews and step by step paint ups. Had a sub myself for years now, and it's always great reading. They also sell the Modelmania DVD Sets, from master artist David Fisher. A bit low-tech at this point, but I still really enjoyed watching David work.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Lots out there. If you plan to do a lot of statues/busts...

Wow, thank you for the very detailed and informative response. I never would have thought to search for "garage kit".

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Finished this Academy P40-C last week. One of the first plane kits I've done since I was in high school, and the first WW2 fighter.

Kinda a crap kit, fit was poor and the decals sucked, the machine gun barrels were so tiny and flimsy I had to replace them with plastic rods. I also managed the gently caress up the tail number decal, which is supposed to be 68, so I had to switch it to 7 but keep the other markings from fighter 68.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the outcome though.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I've been working more on the rigging for Bluenose now that we have been able to settle into our new place. I spent a few hours yesterday going back in to correct a pretty major mistake that I had made the day before on the system that raises the main gaff. I was initially unsure if I wanted to do this, but I am really glad that I did, particularly given that I have elected to complete the model without sails so as to better show off the detail that went into it. Part of this means that the flags have started to go onto the model, which seems a little odd as those feel like a finishing touch... but as the flag halyards run close to the masts, it's far easier to go in now and install them rather than later on.

The Model Shipways kit comes with a really, really bad version of the Maple Leaf, but the trouble is that the original Bluenose never flew this flag and sailed while flying the old Red Ensign and the provincial flag of Nova Scotia. Today, the Bluenose II typically flies the Maple Leaf off of the main gaff, but at least a couple of photos of the original show the national flag at the top of the main mast and that is what I have tried to emulate here. Both flags are aftermarket parts that I ordered, treated with a watered down coat of PVA glue to prevent fraying, and then added the necessary loop and tail to in order to add them to the model. As with the signal flag chain that will hang from the fore gaff, these flags are secured to their halyards by wee reef knots tied with tweezers.

There is still a shitload of rigging to do yet, even on the main mast and boom, but things are starting to take shape.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Man, I gotta build a ship model one of these days. I live in Norfolk, VA and see almost every vessel imaginable. Are there any plastic commercial vessel kits besides the Revell Hapag-Lloyd container ship? I’d love to build a Great Lakes freighter.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

George Zimmer posted:

Man, I gotta build a ship model one of these days. I live in Norfolk, VA and see almost every vessel imaginable. Are there any plastic commercial vessel kits besides the Revell Hapag-Lloyd container ship? I’d love to build a Great Lakes freighter.

http://www.greatlakesfreighters.com/models.html

For all your Edmund Fitzgerald needs. Gordon Lightfoot not included.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Fearless posted:

http://www.greatlakesfreighters.com/models.html

For all your Edmund Fitzgerald needs. Gordon Lightfoot not included.

Hell yes, thank you!

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Hmmm....

Well this is unexpected.

Apparently this is the Wingnut Wings kit.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I mean, model maker goes bankrupt, it's not like molds lose their value just sitting on a shelf. Creditors gotta get some kind of assets back.

It's definitely preferable for those kits to remain in circulation than to disappear forever, and I feel fairly confident in Meng's ability not to totally gently caress up the original molds for funsies.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I hadn't looked at their air stuff before. I love that they're graded in pterosaurs instead if theropods.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

grassy gnoll posted:

I mean, model maker goes bankrupt, it's not like molds lose their value just sitting on a shelf. Creditors gotta get some kind of assets back.

It's definitely preferable for those kits to remain in circulation than to disappear forever, and I feel fairly confident in Meng's ability not to totally gently caress up the original molds for funsies.

It's a little more complicated. WnW isn't officially dead yet, but this is pretty much a nail in the coffin.

Apparently Meng was working with WnW to make the tooling for this kit, and the kit itself would've been produced in Meng's factories.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Hi, thread. It's been awhile. Apparently you've been kitbashing?

I made a boat. It's Tamiya's old 1/700 kit of the HMS Prince of Wales. It took a fair bit of time to paint the camouflage, and I'm not going to make any claim as to total accuracy. To make things a bit easier on myself, I stopped looking at BW photos of the PW and just sorta painted what I felt worked. I'm really glad to finally get some Ezline. (The really thin copper wire is necessary to keep the first mast looking right, because even with ezline I overdid the tension a bit.) This is how she looked in her final battle off of Malaya. The Tamiya kit also comes with several Bettys and Irvings with torpedoes, if you want to go full diorama. I'm going to add a sea base to this, but haven't gotten around to it yet as the particular bit of the world I live in gets summery for a very short time, so you want to be out in it as much as possible.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Nebakenezzer posted:

Hi, thread. It's been awhile. Apparently you've been kitbashing?

I made a boat. It's Tamiya's old 1/700 kit of the HMS Prince of Wales. It took a fair bit of time to paint the camouflage, and I'm not going to make any claim as to total accuracy. To make things a bit easier on myself, I stopped looking at BW photos of the PW and just sorta painted what I felt worked. I'm really glad to finally get some Ezline. (The really thin copper wire is necessary to keep the first mast looking right, because even with ezline I overdid the tension a bit.) This is how she looked in her final battle off of Malaya. The Tamiya kit also comes with several Bettys and Irvings with torpedoes, if you want to go full diorama. I'm going to add a sea base to this, but haven't gotten around to it yet as the particular bit of the world I live in gets summery for a very short time, so you want to be out in it as much as possible.

Drill ur barrels, bro!

E: Seriously though, that's fantastic...

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Finally, the Special Hobby 1/32 P-400 is complete! This kit is pretty rough and is more or less and upscaled version of the Eduard 1/48th scale P-39. As such, it doesn't fit together all that well, and the details are pretty chunky. To make matters worse, both the build and the paint processes fought me at pretty much every turn. This is the second time I started a SH P-39 of some variety... the first attempt yielded me nothing more than a paint mule because the kit fit is so lousy. In any case, I'm really happy with how it ultimately turned out, though it took ~6 months to get here. I added the Eduard PE seatbelt and interior set and used a set of Montex masks for the goofy-but-historically-accurate shark's mouth.

This is meant to represent an aircraft of the 67th Fighter Squadron as it fought desperately to hold the line against the Japanese on Guadalcanal. The P-400 is the British export version of the P-39 and featured a 20mm Hispano Suiza cannon in place of the more traditional 37mm refrigerator thrower. Rejected by the British, they were transferred to the USAAF who dubbed them (no doubt tongue-in-cheek) P-400's because that's supposedly the top speed the aircraft was supposed to be able to reach. P-39s and P-400s were handled roughly by the Japanese in the Guadalcanal campaign, and without a supercharger, they couldn't climb high enough to hit the bombers they were built to intercept. Nevertheless, their pilots fought valiantly despite their fighters' inferiority and were pivotal in stopping the Japanese advance in the SW Pacific. I have a thing for underdogs and the P-39/P-400 is pretty much defines "underdog." There's a saying that goes, "the P-40 and P-39 didn't win the war, but they sure as hell made sure we didn't lose it."

Nebakenezzer posted:

Itty bitty bote.

Love it, and I don't envy you for having to do the camo job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR