Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004

Tei posted:

Kids these days. I remember when computer books did not exist*. I had to dessasemble a PASCAL compiler to learn pascal*.

* this is actually true
** sadly, this is true too

In what kind of context did you get a binary for pascal and a machine to run it on, but no access to resources to learn about it? I thought it was mostly academic institutions passing along tapes of Pascal in the early days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Beef posted:

In what kind of context did you get a binary for pascal and a machine to run it on, but no access to resources to learn about it? I thought it was mostly academic institutions passing along tapes of Pascal in the early days.

Warez / Commodore 64

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

gently caress you you're not my dad *pages through billions of records just to prove a point*

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I've spent the whole morning getting 2 megs of CSV data into an Oracle database. I wonder whether anyone else has used their limited time on Earth as poorly as I have

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Hammerite posted:

I've spent the whole morning getting 2 megs of CSV data into an Oracle database. I wonder whether anyone else has used their limited time on Earth as poorly as I have

I've yet to use Oracle so you've got me beat

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Every Oracle expert I've ever spoken to who doesn't work for Oracle advises against using Oracle

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

At work, we run some simulations which simulate over a period that is normally measured in seconds. However, sometimes it's nice to simulate a longer period of time, so I added a feature today which lets you add a suffix to the input simulation duration, specifying an alternate unit. For example, "1h" would mean 1 hour = 3600 seconds, "1d" would be 1 day = 24h, "1y" = 1 year = 365.25 days, etc. We don't allow months or minutes, because those are easily confusable, and the number of days in a month is too variable. And yes, I know that not all hours are 3600 seconds, not all days are 24 hours, and no years are 365.25 days, but these are just quick shorthands whose meanings, caveats, and assumptions are clearly documented, and exact calendar time is just not important for this use case. So that's not the horror.

The horror is that one of my teammates flagged the 1 year = 365.25 days part, and suggested that instead it should be 360 days, because that's twelve 30-day months.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

VikingofRock posted:

At work, we run some simulations which simulate over a period that is normally measured in seconds. However, sometimes it's nice to simulate a longer period of time, so I added a feature today which lets you add a suffix to the input simulation duration, specifying an alternate unit. For example, "1h" would mean 1 hour = 3600 seconds, "1d" would be 1 day = 24h, "1y" = 1 year = 365.25 days, etc. We don't allow months or minutes, because those are easily confusable, and the number of days in a month is too variable. And yes, I know that not all hours are 3600 seconds, not all days are 24 hours, and no years are 365.25 days, but these are just quick shorthands whose meanings, caveats, and assumptions are clearly documented, and exact calendar time is just not important for this use case. So that's not the horror.

The horror is that one of my teammates flagged the 1 year = 365.25 days part, and suggested that instead it should be 360 days, because that's twelve 30-day months.

If it's all just shorthand anyway then your team mate's stupid idea is no worse than your own stupid ideas, in fact they probably wrote that suggestion as a joke to poke fun at you for designating 1 year as 365.25 days when none of your other units account for the solar calendar

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The real horror of course is not stopping at days and then saying "all simulation times are in Julian Days" to match what the astronomers do

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
This is what you get for trying to improve the user experience. Should have just had the only input be seconds and left it up to the end user to figure it out.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

VikingofRock posted:

There was a bonus question on a test I took once that was something like: calculate the number of seconds in a year (assume a month is 30 days). And I just instinctively did 60 x 60 x 24 x 365 and didnt get credit. This was a physics class in high school.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

VikingofRock posted:

1 year = 365.25 days

See year is annoyingly precise here...

QuarkJets posted:

a joke to poke fun at you for designating 1 year as 365.25 days

It must be poking fun.

because a year is closer to 365.24 than 365.25

you can't forget about the skipped leap year in tested divisible by 100 and the skipped-skipped leap year in years that are divisible by 400, sucka
:cmon:

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Nth Doctor posted:

See year is annoyingly precise here...

It must be poking fun.

because a year is closer to 365.24 than 365.25

you can't forget about the skipped leap year in tested divisible by 100 and the skipped-skipped leap year in years that are divisible by 400, sucka
:cmon:

This is extremely funny to me because as someone who took an intro CS class I definitely know the skip 100 unless it's 400 rules about leap years, but it'll almost certainly never come up for me in the real world, unless i live to 115

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

more falafel please posted:

This is extremely funny to me because as someone who took an intro CS class I definitely know the skip 100 unless it's 400 rules about leap years, but it'll almost certainly never come up for me in the real world, unless i live to 115

well look who's already ruled themselves out from that vatican job where you compute all the future easters

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

QuarkJets posted:

Every Oracle expert I've ever spoken to who doesn't work for Oracle advises against using Oracle

People who like to justify their technical decisions will often use the words "industry standard" when justifying technical decisions - you'll see those words a lot when justifying Oracle. The name itself is suspicious - if you name your product after a priestess who huffs gas fumes and give ambiguous answers, then it's really the customer's fault for buying it and not understanding the joke.

The real horrible secret of space is that you actually CAN do a lot worse than Oracle - Oracle has a lot of industry support - if your data is critical (e.g. has banking/health care records) etc, it's easy to find professional dbas that will take care of it and data recovery experts that know how to work with it, you will be able to pass the security checklists at places like DOD etc if you use it, and the performance and scalability are pretty much on par with any other leading relational db.

But good god, dealing with Oracle issues is the biggest pain in the rear end.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

well look who's already ruled themselves out from that vatican job where you compute all the future easters

Probably the oldest coding horror of them all: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computus#Algorithms

I mean, look at those variable names. Seriously?

Beef
Jul 26, 2004

HappyHippo posted:

Probably the oldest coding horror of them all: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computus#Algorithms

cool, APL

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Beef posted:

cool, APL

Is that what you use when you want to dial the stargate?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
An instruction page from the never shipped "Dante's nightmare" mode of Keep Calm and Nobody Explodes

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

HappyHippo posted:

quote:

In late antiquity, it was feasible for the entire Christian church to receive the date of Easter each year through an annual announcement from the Pope. By the early third century, however, communications had deteriorated to the point that the church put great value in a system that would allow the clergy to independently and consistently determine the date for themselves.

Distributed systems!

quote:

Additionally, the church wished to eliminate dependencies on the Hebrew calendar, by deriving Easter directly from the vernal equinox.

NIH syndrome!

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

It came up for the older crowd in 2000.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

ulmont posted:

... this was exactly my point, that unless i live until 2100, leap years are just every four years, since the only century mark I'm likely to be alive for was divisible by 400

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

ulmont posted:

Older crowd? 2000 was just ... twenty years ago. :corsair:

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Volguus posted:

Older crowd? 2000 was just ... twenty years ago. :corsair:

Is there anyone on SA under like 30 anymore

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Not a coding horror, but our team is making a product that will go outdoors.

We all agreed that a touchscreen was an awful idea and to tell management to piss off with that idea. :3:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

ratbert90 posted:

We all agreed that a touchscreen was an awful idea and to tell management to piss off with that idea. :3:

Did you know there exist some idiot companies that hire experts in their field such as software developers to do work for them and then never listen to their employees' advice but do their own stupid thing anyway?

Somehow some of these still manage to make a profit. I'd never work for a company like that but sometimes it sounds like that over half of the people in this subforum do.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

... this was exactly my point, that unless i live until 2100, leap years are just every four years, since the only century mark I'm likely to be alive for was divisible by 400

It’s a good thing no-one ever has to work with historical data then!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Carbon dioxide posted:

Did you know there exist some idiot companies that hire experts in their field such as software developers to do work for them and then never listen to their employees' advice but do their own stupid thing anyway?

Somehow some of these still manage to make a profit. I'd never work for a company like that but sometimes it sounds like that over half of the people in this subforum do.

This new gig is the first gig I have had where what you described is not the case.

It's why I left my last three jobs.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

DoctorTristan posted:

It’s a good thing no-one ever has to work with historical data then!

Actually, for legacy reasons, it's easier to consider 1900 a leap year. It just makes working in excel easier.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Thou shalt sanitize thine input.

quote:

A software development house got more than it bargained for after an alert email from the HaveIBeenPwned (HIBP) data breach monitoring site wiped all its helpdesk support tickets.

Recreational vehicle app developer QB8 LLC had signed up for the free HIBP messages to check for compromised accounts on its fyre.io domain.

When a message from HIBP arrived to QB8's helpdesk address after a recent data breach, it was automatically turned into a ticket in the company's tech support system, the open source Gestionnaire Libre de Parc Informatique (GLPI) version 9.4.5.

The QB8 techs read the HIBP report, checked the data and alerted users to the breaches.

After that, the ticket was assigned to one particular technician, and marked as solved.

By assigning the ticket to a particular team member, the GLPI system parsed the ";--" characters in the header of the HBPI email, and interpreted it as a Structured Query Language database command that deleted data in the helpdesk system.

"I and the other techs quickly noticed that every single ticket description had been deleted and replaced with partial header data from the HIBP email," one QB8 staffer wrote.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

ratbert90 posted:

... then the camera pans slowly left, revealing that you’re working for RIM c. 2007?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Tei posted:

Kids these days. I remember when computer books did not exist*.
My dad had and passed on IBM programming manuals from the early 1960s, which is as far back as I remember.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

ratbert90 posted:

This new gig is the first gig I have had where what you described is not the case.

It's why I left my last three jobs.

Give it time

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Soricidus posted:

Give it time

It helps that I have a manager that still programs and is involved in the product development process instead of just attending meetings forever in a loop.

DoctorTristan posted:

... then the camera pans slowly left, revealing that youre working for RIM c. 2007?

Touchscreens suck for outdoor use.

Do you have gloves on?
Is it raining?
Is it snowing?
Is there ice on the touch screen?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

ratbert90 posted:

Do you have gloves on?
Is it raining?
Is it snowing?

Is your customer savvy enough to know this, or foolish enough to see that there's a shiny touch screen you can tweet on from your Smart Outhouse or whatever?

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
As well as "thou shalt always use prepared db queries when using user provided values".

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer

ratbert90 posted:

Do you have gloves on?
Is it raining?
Is it snowing?

but it's easier to sell!

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My dad had and passed on IBM programming manuals from the early 1960s, which is as far back as I remember.

In spain in the 80's where I live, it was imposible to find a computer book. I had the manual you receive with the commodore 64, and thats it. For a long time my only computer book was the manual.
Things changed slowly, and book started appearing for sale, at first in english, but later translated.

Some of the first computer books where really bad. DATA BECKER books like "C64 internals" self-destroy if you look at them. I have a C++ programming book that contains lots of programming errors on the examples.

The first UNIX manual I found, was exploring a different university on some random corridor on the underground, I was exploring that part of the building trying to find the room where they had the servers. I manage to get a shell account there and had some curiosity what the server looked like. Reading that UNIX manual was glorious, the ideas of UNIX are fantastic. UNIX basically invented everything.

Tei fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jun 5, 2020

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

At my last place this was all down to one single board-level "domain expert" who for two years trainwrecked our greenfield project into every missed deadline, broken feature and unhappy client we all predicted months/weeks earlier because he just wouldn't listen to anyone.

Then the guy took 4 months paternity leave. While he was gone we secretly re-wrote the entire platform from scratch for a new client and got their instance to production, on time, fully functional, no bugs etc, before he got back. And then another two months later. The board finally started noticing and he gradually got more and more side-lined in meetings until suddenly he wasn't there anymore.

We never found out wether he got fired or his ego just couldn't handle it but holy heck things were great once he was gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I just want to know, if you build a static code analyzer, what in the world would make you decide this is an appropriate logo?

https://pmd.github.io/