Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season should the next animated reconstruction be from?
This poll is closed.
Season 1 (Marco Polo) 13 18.57%
Season 2 (The Crusade) 1 1.43%
Season 3 (Galaxy 4/The Myth Makers/The Daleks' Master Plan/The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve/The Celestial Toymaker/The Savages) 25 35.71%
Season 4 (The Smugglers/The Highlanders/The Underwater Menace/The Evil of the Daleks) 16 22.86%
Season 5 (The Abominable Snowmen/The Web of Fear/The Wheel in Space) 11 15.71%
Season 6 (The Space Pirates) 4 5.71%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
God, he’s asking to be punched there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Well, at least the Doctor warms up to him by Age of Steel

...granted, it's because Mickey's staying in another world, but shhhh

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
(Also that genuinely might have been the Doctor going a bit senile and letting different realities bleed into their brain. Remember, Age of Steel Mickey *IS* Ricky)

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
This is probably a repost, but there are some good ones in there:

https://twitter.com/KevKoeser/status/1049354029346828288

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I was surprised at the sight of Ryan and Yaz in a 2018 tweet and then realised that’s how long ago their first season was.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Big Finish just released info about their contribution to "Time Lord Victorious". 3 Eighth Doctor audios, and a Short Trips featuring the Delgado and Ainley Masters, performed by Jon Culshaw.

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/new-time-lord-victorious-titles-revealed

https://www.bigfinish.com/ranges/v/doctor-who-time-lord-victorious

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I can't really think of a combination of words that excite me less than "faces his old enemies, the Daleks, in the Time War" at this point tbh.

Short Trip stories with the Ainley and Delgado Masters are interesting, tho

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Teek posted:

This is probably a repost, but there are some good ones in there:

https://twitter.com/KevKoeser/status/1049354029346828288
They're all great but the Adric one is :discourse:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Homora Gaykemi posted:

I can't really think of a combination of words that excite me less than "faces his old enemies, the Daleks, in the Time War" at this point tbh

They're aiming for that mass appeal audience here. 8 is the kinda the "face" of Big Finish doctors, and Daleks are /the/ Doctor Who enemy

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I remember a few years after the show had come back, BF was talking about their relationship with the production office, and how their storylines have to be approved. In the year leading up to the comeback in 2005, RTD wanted to build up anticipation for the Daleks, so he told BF they couldn't use them. BF responded, "If we can have Dalek stories, we'll go out of business!" because that's how much the sales of the Dalek stories contribute to BF's productions. So RTD relented.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

They're aiming for that mass appeal audience here. 8 is the kinda the "face" of Big Finish doctors, and Daleks are /the/ Doctor Who enemy

for sure, i understand the why, it's just that, like, the Eighth Doctor Time War series hasn't even finished yet and I'm personally kind of over Daleks and the Time War for the moment so Big Fin's contribution to Timelord Victorious being "the Eighth Doctor... against the Daleks... in the Time War" really isn't up my alley

though I do still have to listen to Susan's War, that's one i'm keen for

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Delgado's is clearly the best, followed by Missy's.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I don't know why I bother when every ancillary media of any kind has fallen into this trap already, but there's very little of a thing you can show of a thing like the Time War before it gets less and less interesting. For as good as Day of the Doctor is, it makes that stage of the Time War look rather a lot like conventional combat, let alone thirty-two hours worth of stories.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I'm curious, how did the Time War ostensibly 'start'? Is it a folly to actually try to conceive a literal Time War as... having a start, or is there actually some form of inciting incident?

I'm just asking because I've realized I've been picturing the most minor, petty kick-off spiraling out of control.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cleretic posted:

I'm curious, how did the Time War ostensibly 'start'? Is it a folly to actually try to conceive a literal Time War as... having a start, or is there actually some form of inciting incident?

I'm just asking because I've realized I've been picturing the most minor, petty kick-off spiraling out of control.

Genesis of the Daleks is one of the first, if not the first, shot of the war.

One race trying to eradicate the other from history is a pretty good way to get real weird with time

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

One thing I love about Genesis that probably wasn't explicitly intended is that when Davros first shows a Dalek examples of what the "other" they're meant to hate is, the first example they see is the Doctor. The second is a human being.

The Thals were supposed to be the Daleks most hated enemies but somewhere deep, deep down I'm sure the lesson that very first Dalek learned about hate continues to resonate to this day: all non-Daleks must be exterminated, but ESPECIALLY the Doctor and human beings MUST be exterminated at all costs.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jun 3, 2020

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Yet another item on the list of things I’d forgotten; 10 is incredibly quick to bloodshed when it comes to anything other than a human. And even then, his whole solution for the Cybermen is to give them their emotions back, let them realize the body horror they’ve suffered, and then sit back as that realization drives them mad and kills them.

It’s loving horrific if you think about it for more than a second :stonk:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

But he was so, so sorry about it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/ManningOfficial/status/1268106962283237376?s=20

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

That ham-fisted bum vendor. :allears:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yet another item on the list of things I’d forgotten; 10 is incredibly quick to bloodshed when it comes to anything other than a human. And even then, his whole solution for the Cybermen is to give them their emotions back, let them realize the body horror they’ve suffered, and then sit back as that realization drives them mad and kills them.

It’s loving horrific if you think about it for more than a second :stonk:

Ten's "I got so much worse, used to talk people into taking their lives" is pretty goddamn hypocritical.

You gotta try real real hard to get more ruthless than Seven was sometimes.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Huh. This is so odd.

https://twitter.com/jamesstreetmanx/status/1268328283680145408

EDIT: more info here.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

What a truly bizarre and pointless change to make :psyduck:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Imagine if the classic blu-ray box sets they've been putting out used the Whitaker intro titles

We've already got these:

May as well go all-in, no?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Rewatching Day of the Moon, and I can't tell you how much I laughed when Canton Delaware III shot a Silence and said "Welcome to America". :911:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

Rewatching Day of the Moon, and I can't tell you how much I laughed when Canton Delaware III shot a Silence and said "Welcome to America". :911:

WELCOME TO EARTH

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 4, 2020

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

The_Doctor posted:

WELCOME TO ERF

Literally always worth pointing out that in Independence day Will Smith very clearly says "welcome to earth" and the "welcome to erf" meme is... I'm going to go with "problematic" at best.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

SiKboy posted:

Literally always worth pointing out that in Independence day Will Smith very clearly says "welcome to earth" and the "welcome to erf" meme is... I'm going to go with "problematic" at best.

I’m from London, so Erf is a completely standard pronunciation here. We drop a lot of letters.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

The_Doctor posted:

I’m from London, so Erf is a completely standard pronunciation here. We drop a lot of letters.

I'm from glasgow, we drop more. Will Smith is also not from London, so the fact you are is not even a little bit relevant. It's a stupid, lovely and inaccurate meme, entirely based on "Lol, black people talk like this!", and I probably wouldnt go hard on trying to defend it if I were you.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

That’s fair, my bad.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Some top :3: content from this week's Popbitch mailout:

quote:

"Back in the early 80s I was a massive Doctor Who fan. I didn't write letters to the Doctors though. I wrote to Anthony Ainley, who played the Doctor's arch-nemesis, the Master. The letter said how, even though I liked the Doctor, I thought The Master was better and I didn't understand why the BBC couldn't let him win occasionally.

"I was utterly gobsmacked when I received not only a signed photo, but also a lengthy letter, written in character by Ainley, on how I was utterly correct and that the BBC were indeed the true enemy for not letting him win.

"Years later, when working for a West London Theatre in 1999, I had the opportunity to meet Ainley. This was almost 20 years on from my letter and I mentioned it in passing in the bar. Ainley lit up and explained in great depth that he'd always remembered it, as 'many children weren't allowed by their parents to write to the bad guy.'"

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

oh gosh, this is the best

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

God that story is the best :)

Edward Mass posted:

I love when the Secret Service pull guns on the Doctor when he shows up unannounced to the Oval Office, and he laughs that they're not gonna shoot him just for standing there doing nothing, at which point everybody else runs out of the TARDIS screaming,"THEY'RE AMERICANS!"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Jerusalem posted:

God that story is the best :)

I love when the Secret Service pull guns on the Doctor when he shows up unannounced to the Oval Office, and he laughs that they're not gonna shoot him just for standing there doing nothing, at which point everybody else runs out of the TARDIS screaming,"THEY'RE AMERICANS!"

Oof man, that joke is way too real now.

In lighter news, I’d forgotten how refreshing the 10/Martha dynamic was coming right off the melodramatic heels of the Rose farewell. Although, I seem to recall them doing a sorta similar will they/won’t they thing with her eventually? It’s been about a decade so maybe I’m misremembering.

Either way, I still prefer Martha to Rose. Season 2 is an unfortunate combination of extremely uneven episodes and a grating 10/Rose dynamic. I don’t hate either character like I used to, but I definitely welcomed the end of that relationship by the time Doomsday rolled around.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

My big issue with Martha was that they really seemed to go out of their way to define her as NOT ROSE as opposed to a character in her own right. On the one hand, after two years of Rose it was good that they weren't just doing the same character beats, but they really didn't define who Martha herself was beyond very specifically NOT being another Rose.

Now Donna, there was somebody who got a strongly defined character, and God she was the absolute best.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Jerusalem posted:

Now Donna, there was somebody who got a strongly defined character, and God she was the absolute best.

I had forgotten The Runaway Bride special existed and I am so looking forward to my season 4 rewatch :allears:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I liked Martha as a character, and i think she was well-portrated, but the Rose baggage was too much and I felt that was overall a weak season. Martha also suffers from being followed by Donna, who is top-tier.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

My favorite Ainley story is about how, as soon as he'd found out Sophie Aldred played cricket, he instantly became her friend for life :3:

I believe he'd been left some money by his father, so he didn't need to work very much, and so he could freely indulge his two biggest hobbies and enjoyments in life: playing cricket and being The Master. :unsmith:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

My favorite Ainley story is about how, as soon as he'd found out Sophie Aldred played cricket, he instantly became her friend for life :3:

I believe he'd been left some money by his father, so he didn't need to work very much, and so he could freely indulge his two biggest hobbies and enjoyments in life: playing cricket and being The Master. :unsmith:

Being the Master isn't a hobby, it's just something that comes naturally. Mwa ha. MWA ha ha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Chokes McGee posted:

Being the Master isn't a hobby, it's just something that comes naturally. Mwa ha. MWA ha ha.

I'm not the world's biggest NuWho fan, but the buildup to the Master's return in Utopia, featuring that signature Ainley cackle, is by far one of my favorite DW moments of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI_RB2URZPY