Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jose posted:

I try to groom everyone

Aatrek?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

The Cheshire Cat posted:

A thought occurred to me about CK3: Are they actually going to depict the schism as happening in-game now, or will it just exist from the beginning like in CK2? The more flexible religious system does seem like it would allow it to work. It was a bit weird that you had Catholic and Orthodox in the days of Charlemagne in CK2.

The divide was clear long before Charlemagne. With how detailed they make various faiths now - Irish Crhistianity is now different from your usual Catholic - it makes sense that Rome and Constantinople have different faiths. For most rulers 1054 schism didn't matter much; they already considered either Pope or Patriarch of Constantinople to be the leader of the faith. Maybe before that you could have some special events like Pope doesn't let you divorce but Patriarch is fine with it. Maybe you get some special events about Pope and Patriarch hating each other.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Given the Righteous <-> Evil scale they now have, they could have it where Catholicism and Orthodox consider each other Righteous in early dates, and then when the Schism happens officially they switch to Astray.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Considering how the crusades started as Constantinople asking the west for assistance, they might be able to make things more organic. They could even give the Orthodox Patriarch the option to respond to Papal requests for assistance, which was what the whole schism was about. The Pope had become a power broker, granting the title of Roman emperor and proclaiming legitimacy upon the Norman conquests of southern Italy (from both the Byzantines and Muslims) in order to secure Rome against threats, and part of why he felt the need to do that was because the Byzantine empire would not help him when he was in trouble, so there was no Catholic obligation to protect imperial holdings.

Of course, on the other hand you normally don't want your "Crusader Kings" game to have good odds on there not being a schism and there not being a basis for a crusade.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I'm playing the 1373 Monarch's Journey bookmark as Kulin Kulinić, Doux of Bosnia in the Byzantine Empire. Can't say I've played as a powerful vassal in a large realm before, so this is an interesting run. A few gameplay questions:

- What populates the "plot to kill" list? Mine's mostly courtiers who would be pointless to kill. And I can theoretically plot to kill anyone in diplomatic range, right?

- I got a guy to come to my court, who holds strong claims on the Empire and four duchies. Some other duke wants him dead -- any way to stop or foil that plot, outside of war to imprison said duke? It seems like I can't plot to kill someone who's already plotting, at least if the UI isn't lying to me.

- I created the Duchy of Syrmia and it seems to be my character's own title rather than a viceregal title. Is that because it's outside the de jure Byzantine Empire? Do I get to pass it on to my heir?

- Why the hell is Kolguyev in the game? 300 people live there today!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
No idea about what populates the list, but yea you can just right click on anyone and start murdering away.
I'm not sure why you couldn't assassinate someone who's just in some random plot. God knows that at any given time any given NPC is embroiled in a half dozen plots.

No idea about the other stuff.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

- I created the Duchy of Syrmia and it seems to be my character's own title rather than a viceregal title. Is that because it's outside the de jure Byzantine Empire? Do I get to pass it on to my heir?

Titles you create yourself won't be viceregal. Only titles specifically given to you as a viceroy by your liege will be. It'll be inheritable by your heir, yes.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I'm playing the 1373 Monarch's Journey bookmark as Kulin Kulinić, Doux of Bosnia in the Byzantine Empire. Can't say I've played as a powerful vassal in a large realm before, so this is an interesting run. A few gameplay questions:

- What populates the "plot to kill" list? Mine's mostly courtiers who would be pointless to kill. And I can theoretically plot to kill anyone in diplomatic range, right?

- I got a guy to come to my court, who holds strong claims on the Empire and four duchies. Some other duke wants him dead -- any way to stop or foil that plot, outside of war to imprison said duke? It seems like I can't plot to kill someone who's already plotting, at least if the UI isn't lying to me.

1) I have no idea about this and I don't think anyone does - the game has some algorithm that decides who is "relevant" to you here but as you mentioned, you can completely ignore it because you can plot to kill anyone from their character UI.

2) Are you already plotting something else? You can only have one plot at a time. If someone outside your realm is plotting to kill someone in your court, it's usually not too much to worry about because their plot power will be incredibly low without support from within your own court, and you can demand that people in your court stop backing plots even if you can't end the plot itself.

3) Any title you create will be a permanent title, so you will pass it on to your heir. Your liege may try to revoke it, though, so keep good relations with them.

4) I don't know enough about geography or history to answer that one. Probably just comes down to "well we had to put something there" to keep the county sizes in the area consistent.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

They decided to extend the habital area to nenets lands and didn't want to have a blacked out island on the coast. It should be noted that nenets is blacked out in CK3 so they've since rethought this idea and the map now ends at modern Arkangelsk, and the local culture has been renamed Biarmian. They also made the Dvina navigable.

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010
Is there a reason the AI with enough money and prestige would not form the varangian guard? I am multiple generations into an 867 start and they've never formed.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

abrosheen posted:

Is there a reason the AI with enough money and prestige would not form the varangian guard? I am multiple generations into an 867 start and they've never formed.

Do you have gender equality on? Or just get a string of women emperors? If so, women cannot form the varangian guard for some archaic reason.

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010

Eimi posted:

Do you have gender equality on? Or just get a string of women emperors? If so, women cannot form the varangian guard for some archaic reason.

Oh wow, ok, yes I had a string of women I think.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Eimi posted:

"Varangian" is an anagram of "Vagina? Ran!"

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Jedit posted:

"Varangian" is an anagram of "Vagina? Ran!"

how do I report this to authorities

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010

Mule indeed!

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Got a question for the hive mind. Well, actually, two:

1. Currently am Sunni Emperor of Iraq. Just passed the title onto my grandson who has 3 daughters and is now - I did not realize - celibate. So, no seduction and no carousing options. What’s the easiest way to lose that trait available to me? Do I have to become a Satanist and hope it rolls Lustful before cancer etc?

2. Currently trying to roll the Byzantines for Anatolia. I got a good way into it but the war score has stayed stuck at 63% even though I fully conquered 2+ additional counties. I notice the main byz army is off fighting against someone else. Why is the score frozen? Do I have to go rack up some battle score to get this over with? They’re pretty deep into enemy territory so the attrition would be brutal.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

For 2, you should be able to get ticking warscore by controlling every Byz-held county in the target area. You don't have to siege down every holding, just the main one in each province. You can check if it's ticking from the war screen; on the list of contributors to your warscore it'll say "_____ controls Anatolia," and the value thereof will go up slowly. Once that's going you just have to wait (for a very long time).

Basically this is the fallback way of winning when your enemy refuses to fight you.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

The Caliph is revoking all my poo poo, please help!

I'm the Persian sultan of Daylam, owing fealty to the Caliph of the Abbasid empire. I'm Zoroastrian, but fake converted to Sunni.

I have 3 emirates/duchies (Tabriz, Gilan and Tabaristan) and the Caliph keeps revoking them. He actually gave me one of them to start with. He has no claims or holdings there and I don't understand what's happening...

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

One of the features of Iqta government is that you can revoke duchy titles at any time without reason.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Various Meat Products posted:

One of the features of Iqta government is that you can revoke duchy titles at any time without reason.

Ah. This might complicate my plans to reform the Persian empire...

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Freudian slippers posted:

I'm the Persian sultan of Daylam, owing fealty to the Caliph of the Abbasid empire. I'm Zoroastrian, but fake converted to Sunni.

I have 3 emirates/duchies (Tabriz, Gilan and Tabaristan) and the Caliph keeps revoking them. He actually gave me one of them to start with. He has no claims or holdings there and I don't understand what's happening...
Try to be friendly with caliph while constantly plotting his death. I managed to survive in similar situation for a long time, having around 20+ relationship with successive caliphs, killing them every few years. I don't know if it's good strategy, but it worked for me in the beginning.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Another pro tip is to suck up to China and see if you can get enough Grace for them to come smash the empire

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Thanks, guess I'll be carousing like a maniac, while stocking up on eunuchs!

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Thanks, guess I'll be carousing like a maniac, while stocking up on eunuchs!

Remember to park your chancellor in your liege's capital to extoll your virtues

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

I realize the game is on its way out but

CK2: The Caliph is revoking all my poo poo, please help!

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Do what you can to create a kingdom title ASAP. Kingdom titles cannot be freely revoked in Iqta governments. Bonus points if the Kingdom you create has dejure territory controlled by another vassal so the Caliph transfers their vassalage to you. I've had the Caliph give me so much land this way, all while plotting to burst out from the Abbassid empire like a parasitic wasp emerging from a caterpillar.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Neurion posted:

Do what you can to create a kingdom title ASAP. Kingdom titles cannot be freely revoked in Iqta governments. Bonus points if the Kingdom you create has dejure territory controlled by another vassal so the Caliph transfers their vassalage to you. I've had the Caliph give me so much land this way, all while plotting to burst out from the Abbassid empire like a parasitic wasp emerging from a caterpillar.

Yeah, I did that, now I'm expanding outside my kingdom. The plan was to have all my guys join the Hermetics, but it looks like the Assassins just became an option :ese:

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I mean, it's not wrong. Every Catholic would be better off Catholic.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The Monarch's Journey concept is so fun, it really rubs it in how much we're losing with CK3 since they're taking out the start dates. For me, that alone makes it a dramatic downgrade from 2.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I never played anything but the Charlemagne, Viking Age, and Stamford Bridge starts until the Monarch's Journey came out, TBH.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

i'd like additional start dates as DLC for CK3. i suppose it could start arguments about how they're charging for something that was free in CK2, but i'd like to think people would understand that properly researched and fleshed out start dates are more valuable and interesting than the half-functioning later dates in CK2.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Devs said that nobody played any start date besides TOG and 1066 and it wasn't worthwhile to bother otherwise.

I'm not gonna miss the CM date at all.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I played them, not my fault if everyone else is wrong.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

In EU4 I've argued that it was self-fulfilling prophecy: later start dates are broken and thus nobody plays them. But in CK2 all start dates work fine.

I hope that both in CK3 and later EU5 they add new start dates that have some thought put into them, special events and such. It's quite sad to start a game when you know some big events are happening but in game terms there's nothing.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

TIL that you need at least 750 piety to reform a pagan religion.

I've never been in a situation where the religion was reformable and I didn't have all the piety I knew what to do with before. Suomensuko has three really easy holy sites right next to each other.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Various Meat Products posted:

Devs said that nobody played any start date besides TOG and 1066 and it wasn't worthwhile to bother otherwise.

I'm not gonna miss the CM date at all.

I always play CM. I have 'must start at beginning' problem, I'd start in 100000 BC if they let me. So it is probably good for me if they remove my ability to choose a duller start.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I like the idea of the earlier start for CM, but it's just such a boring map. Iron Century is probably my favorite start date, even if I've played more Old Gods.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019
I love how things can shake up in Iron Century. Though Catholicism never gets a good foothold in Norway in most of my games.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Eimi posted:

I like the idea of the earlier start for CM, but it's just such a boring map. Iron Century is probably my favorite start date, even if I've played more Old Gods.

Yes, Iron Century is a great start. Before the monarch challenges, I regularly played Stamford Bridge, Old Gods and Iron Century starts, and I abandoned Charlemagne after a few games. The Alexiad was also cool when Legacy of Rome came out to lead your own Komnenian restoration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe
Charlemagne is Good, Actually because of the large number of tribal rulers that you can take in whatever direction you want.