Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Cleared some brush away from crabapple trees, and like an idiot didn't wash myself off afterwards right away. So I have the nastiest case of poison ivy over half my arm and want to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

The Bodhi tree is not happy about being outside, I should move it back in. And buy a bigger pot for this tomato.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

vines across america tendrils across the land I love

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

We've had a week of heavy rain and winds so I think it's safe to say my tomatoes are done for.
My raised bed is not too hot either. The Surinam spinach I have got blown over somehow and it's all bent over and my pigeon pea is all bent as well.
Whenever the rain lets up I'm going to try and break off a branch of the spinach to try and transplant what I can from it. Rough times!

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

The Voice of Labor posted:

any recommendations for books?

I'm about halfway through How to Grow More Vegetables and every time I get all excited because it presents something well reasoned or empirically demonstrated and testable it immediately presents something else that is apocryphal anecdotal bullshit.

I need more materialism and science in my gardening material dialectic eternal science.

Very often the printed materials from a local university extension, if you have one near or can find their website, are far more to the point and useful. They know what works in your area, it's their job.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Sneaky snake keeping the pests out

Thanks to the rain I need to weed more now, but looking much greener in the rain, and got all the cabbages in

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i've got cantaloupe vines climbing up my soccer net style trellis. it'd be nice if i could grow them vertically so i don't have to worry about bugs, but i'm not sure the trellis can handle the weight. any tips or ideas?

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

i say swears online posted:

i've got cantaloupe vines climbing up my soccer net style trellis. it'd be nice if i could grow them vertically so i don't have to worry about bugs, but i'm not sure the trellis can handle the weight. any tips or ideas?

I've not done it but you can apparently, you have to add little hammocks to hold the melons - https://homeguides.sfgate.com/grow-cantaloupes-vertically-24427.html

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol that owns

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

i've never had success with melons, mostly squash grows fine for me and lower maintenance. we did grow watermelon once but it got picked too early lmao

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
the last time I grew watermelons the drat rabbits would run up and nibble on the fruit right as it was coming due, ruining them

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
also I haven't posted my garden in a while but its doing good. mom wanted me to plant stuff for her so I've got 6 (!) tomatoes, 7 pepper plants (some jalapenos, some habaneros, one hungarian), some cucumbers, and a few egglpants all along with my original planting of potatoes who did indeed come back from the late frost

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

hey internet. what kinda tree this is?

nice and shady, leaves a nice mulch from its seed pods in the spring, peas like it. got a bunch of sprouts, gonna propagate the poo poo out of it but would like to know what it's called.

Looks like a golden elm? Ulmus glabra lutescens. They grow like weeds from propogation if you get decent ones

e: there were more posts but I will never refresh the thread before I post

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Crane Fist posted:

Looks like a golden elm? Ulmus glabra lutescens. They grow like weeds from propogation if you get decent ones

e: there were more posts but I will never refresh the thread before I post

yeah. I thinned the fuckers, we had a few days of hot weather and they took off. like, there were a few astonishingly vigorous early bloomers and one survivor from last year, but now they're all looking good. gonna continue to cull the heard, dig 'em up and pot 'em when I chop the summer veggies down. if anyone in southern oregon wants a bunch of small elm trees around october/november, hit me up.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

yeah. I thinned the fuckers, we had a few days of hot weather and they took off. like, there were a few astonishingly vigorous early bloomers and one survivor from last year, but now they're all looking good. gonna continue to cull the heard, dig 'em up and pot 'em when I chop the summer veggies down. if anyone in southern oregon wants a bunch of small elm trees around october/november, hit me up.

They're really nice trees if you look after em, just be careful if you put them in the ground because the roots spread wherever they feel like and are invasive as hell. Also I have no idea what the distribution of Dutch Elm is like in the US but if it's anywhere near where you are then uuuh don't get attached to them

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Crane Fist posted:

They're really nice trees if you look after em, just be careful if you put them in the ground because the roots spread wherever they feel like and are invasive as hell. Also I have no idea what the distribution of Dutch Elm is like in the US but if it's anywhere near where you are then uuuh don't get attached to them

millions, millions of the fuckers. there are the numbers to statically produce a mutation for disease resistance or immunity.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

millions, millions of the fuckers. there are the numbers to statically produce a mutation for disease resistance or immunity.

God that must be nice. It was so weird coming to NZ from the UK and being like oh poo poo, elm trees. I've heard of those in the tales of the elders

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

net work error posted:

Give it like a month and I'll show you some loving peppers!

Guess it was a faster grower than I thought. Mad Hatter pepper

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
nice truck nuts.

i dont have a pic but the bok choy i tossed in a thing of water a couple weeks back has actually started blooming flowers. i didnt even know you could just put bok choy stems in water and get new leaves and now i got flowers. nature is wild :2bong:

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

I added some dried grass clippings to my compost and now after a year of trying it's finally at the right ratio to cook and I've never been more excited about literal garbage

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Marzzle posted:

I added some dried grass clippings to my compost and now after a year of trying it's finally at the right ratio to cook and I've never been more excited about literal garbage

hoping to get a big compost pile going here sometime... my house burned down and they had to scrape 18" of soil from the lot so all the topsoil is gone, still a couple years away from moving back but when i do i want to set up a bunch of raised beds but will need lots of soil to fill them... my current spot provides access to unlimited amounts of oak leaves and horse poo poo

twoday
May 4, 2005

Does anyone know how plants work?

This bodhi tree cannot survive temperatures below 10 degrees celcius, otherwise the roots rot, so I kept in inside most of the year and recently took it out to the balcony. Almost immediately several of the leaves bleached themselves. I think maybe it wasn't used to the brightness and temperature changes of being outside and became unhappy. I put it under a little table and that seemed to help, though maybe it's just gotten used to being outside? It seems to have stopped, at least, but it still seems pretty unhappy, should I move it back inside?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

the top leaves look really good though and new growth. maybe the plant's directing all it's energies towards growing upwards? (like, in response to a new, brighter light source). is it like an avocado tree or a palm where only the top few leaves are active? pretty sure it needs a bigger pot

twoday
May 4, 2005

I wanted to make a bonsai, so the small pot is intentional but this thing keeps growing taller. I also have an acacia in a giant pot that I planted as a seed last year and it's already up to my sternum in height, but the trunk is so tall and skinny that it can't support the weight of the leaves and also sort of of fell over. It's very cloudy here most of the time so I think all the trees try to grow taller to reach the sun, not realizing that this is as good as it gets

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
With everything I have grown so far, if the new growth is healthy it's fine for now

Crossposting from my thread- the tomatoes looked like this

And even after some work they don't look all that much neater but it will do the trick. Tied them to the frames too. All 20 still alive, and in one patch there are a few strays coming through from last year's crop

Beans and peas doing great

As are both trays of the chilli peppers and peppers

The lavender seeds got forgotten about and ran very dry but most recovered well

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

it's tomato season here!

i've got seven tomato plants giving me three or four fruit a day now so they're piling up. even the potted peas on the left finally started making a few pods

cukes are a mess. i had to put netting around them to keep the dog from digging around them for compost, and now they're trying to collapse it under their weight. if they ever start producing instead of thinking about it, i'm gonna have like a hundred cukes

the volunteer acorn squash seems about done but managed to make one fruit that's still growing, we'll see if it makes it to maturity

my wife's kales were horribly caterpillar infested and nearly died, but after she covered them with netting to keep the butterflies away, they're recovering

indoors i started branching out into herbs and consequently ran out of lettuce. i got some jericho lettuce seeds to see if they can handle the texas heat so i can have more space under my grow lights

i also planted some licorice on a whim, and curiously, instead of the promised 21-60 days, it germinated in three days

on the deck, i got rid of the bolting dill and put in scallions. also, a catnip for the kitties when they're older!

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Spoondick posted:

hoping to get a big compost pile going here sometime... my house burned down and they had to scrape 18" of soil from the lot so all the topsoil is gone, still a couple years away from moving back but when i do i want to set up a bunch of raised beds but will need lots of soil to fill them... my current spot provides access to unlimited amounts of oak leaves and horse poo poo

I left my bin uncovered during a rain and now it's too wet to cook again :(. Also some raccoons opened my clippings bin and it got wet as well so I'm trying to redry the clippings and hopefully add them to the compost and get it going once more. I also humanely trapped and deported the raccoon family of 3 and I'm hope no more rise up to take their place

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

twoday posted:

I wanted to make a bonsai, so the small pot is intentional but this thing keeps growing taller. I also have an acacia in a giant pot that I planted as a seed last year and it's already up to my sternum in height, but the trunk is so tall and skinny that it can't support the weight of the leaves and also sort of of fell over. It's very cloudy here most of the time so I think all the trees try to grow taller to reach the sun, not realizing that this is as good as it gets

bigger pots and they'll spend more time developing roots. while there's nothing you can do for the amount of light, is there anywhere you could move your trees so they get a longer average exposure time?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Dustcat posted:

tons of cucumber flowers

i had this with my cantaloupe a few weeks ago and just stuck my pinky in and around a few dozen flowers. now i'm swimming in fruit. i did a sex

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

I'm getting some manure to sub into this gardening soil recipe I've been doing.

Mix is:

33% coco coir
33% coarse perlite
20% manure
13% worm castings

plz r8 my soil cspam

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

also the mix is for container gardening in 5 gal fabric pots and I'm growing tomatos

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

i say swears online posted:

i had this with my cantaloupe a few weeks ago and just stuck my pinky in and around a few dozen flowers. now i'm swimming in fruit. i did a sex

thanks, i tried that! hoping no unholy goon-cucumber hybrids arise

twoday
May 4, 2005

bigger pots and they'll spend more time developing roots. while there's nothing you can do for the amount of light, is there anywhere you could move your trees so they get a longer average exposure time?

I already did by moving it outside

I was worried the light is what's harming it though

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Marzzle posted:

I'm getting some manure to sub into this gardening soil recipe I've been doing.

Mix is:

33% coco coir
33% coarse perlite
20% manure
13% worm castings

plz r8 my soil cspam

ive used a similar mix but with no manure and about 50% coir, and mixed in nutrients in the form of kelp meal, bone meal, blood meal and dolomite and it worked good for peppers and tomatoes

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007

twoday posted:

I already did by moving it outside

I was worried the light is what's harming it though

when was the last time you fertilized it?

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

plants can get sunburned, so if it got bleached on the first day under direct sunlight, that could be what's going on

or it could just be stress from the changing conditions

twoday
May 4, 2005

Big Dick Cheney posted:

when was the last time you fertilized it?

a few months ago

Dustcat posted:

plants can get sunburned, so if it got bleached on the first day under direct sunlight, that could be what's going on

or it could just be stress from the changing conditions

this makes sense

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah if it was that long ago it could be cannibalizing the nitrogen in its lower leaves to put out new green ones. throw a dead fish in the pot or get some miracle gro or w/e

twoday
May 4, 2005

I’ll do that anyway, but the Tree is growing a bit sideways and the pale leaves are all on one side, which was exposed to the sun, and all the leaves on the other side which weren’t in the sun are still green so I don’t think it’s “bottom leaves” which are affected

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

finally found time to get my garden in this weekend. Here's the ~12x12 plot with tomatoes, lots of squashes, carrots, spinach, and I think my wife planted a watermelon in there? This is at the edge of woods/big prairie so I honestly expect to lose a decent amount to rear end in a top hat animals.

Built some railing planters for the herbs though!