Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

greasyhands posted:

I dont follow this thread very closely, are you a regional guy? Only way I’d think this is feasible is if another regional is going to get shut down and you guys are going to get the planes and they just havent announced it yet

I flowed to a major last summer. The class in question was cancelled just a few days prior to start, there's been no mention of resuming any other hiring. Since the majority of the class had already left their previous jobs the company decided to pay them new-hire pay and give them benefits. This basically makes them Schrodinger's pilots who both are and aren't employed by the company until their superposition is resolved by some sort of legal action. My guess is the company is going to deal with it now by putting them through an abbreviated indoc, letting them bid for base/equipment, then sending them home again. This way if we end up furloughing, running another displacement bid, or have some sort of contractual change that affects new hires there's no ambiguity about what happens to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Oh, ok that makes sense

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

hey better than United telling their new hires they have 10 minutes to pack their poo poo and get the gently caress out before they get the dogs sic on them

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Animal posted:

hey better than United telling their new hires they have 10 minutes to pack their poo poo and get the gently caress out before they get the dogs sic on them

They were going to release the hounds, but they killed them first by accident.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PT6A posted:

RELEASE THE HOUNDS

*the overhead bins slam open and dead dogs fall out*

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

PT6A posted:

Jesus f:tviv:

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

PT6A posted:

:vince:

Beccara
Feb 3, 2005

PT6A posted:

:boom:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Did I go too far? Nah, it doesn't feel like I went too far.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
No joke is too cruel if it’s at the expense of someone that is an rear end in a top hat to dogs.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rolo posted:

No joke is too cruel if it’s at the expense of someone that is an rear end in a top hat to dogs.

:hai:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Rolo posted:

As proven by John Wick. I saw so many people saying they aren't usually fans of that kind of movie but that they were 100% on board because of what happened to the dog.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

PT6A posted:

Did I go too far? Nah, it doesn't feel like I went too far.

Nah, don't beat yourself up over it. United is better at that.

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it
Anyone know if the forces to flyers program is dead? They ran it for two years now, but there haven't been any updates in over a year.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

wolrah posted:

As proven by John Wick. I saw so many people saying they aren't usually fans of that kind of movie but that they were 100% on board because of what happened to the dog.

That's a really old trope, John Wick did not prove anything. In every western made in the 1900s the bad guy kicks a dog, shoots a dog, or shoots a horse, it's just part of the formula to unleash the violence. Of course the bad guys were also dark skinned and had menacing moustaches, but that's not enough for some people, so you gotta kick the dog too.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

azflyboy posted:

Nah, don't beat yourself up over it. United is better at that.

:vince:

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Just learned that we're getting hit with 3,000 layoffs on Oct 1, which is about 15% of the total workforce for the entire company.

What makes this more infuriating is that Skywest isn't getting any of their flying cut, so they're literally stealing union jobs as soon as the first one of our employees is out of work in October.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
Why are you guys getting hit so hard? Is this posturing for a deal or are these cuts definite?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Two Kings posted:

Why are you guys getting hit so hard? Is this posturing for a deal or are these cuts definite?

No one knows. The 3000 cuts are a best guess at this point, and will probably hit the mainline side of the company harder if the current trend of regional flying recovering faster continues, but they said the exact number is subject to change.

The big unknown is that the number came from their projected flying for summer 2021 (which is higher than the winter 2020 numbers), so we don't know if they're going to lay off more people on October 1 and gradually bring them back, or if this is a threat to get concessions, or both.

I do feel bad for the people who were gullible enough to think that taking time off without pay was going to help save any jobs, especially if they're fairly junior and are on the chopping block now. It's been pretty obvious that furloughs were inevitable since about March/April, so I don't know why anyone believed management had the best interests of anyone but shareholders in mind.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Passed my PPL written today :toot:

The first five or so questions, I thought I was *hosed*, but it eased up pretty quickly, and I ended up with an 85%.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Nice!

Does Couer d'Alene still show up in a bunch of the navigation and sectional questions? I remember seeing it all the time when I did my PPL written, but I don't know if they changed it in the intervening 15 years.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Passed my PPL written today :toot:

The first five or so questions, I thought I was *hosed*, but it eased up pretty quickly, and I ended up with an 85%.

I haven't scheduled mine yet but I'm going to pretty soon. Any trick questions or unexpected stuff?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

I haven't scheduled mine yet but I'm going to pretty soon. Any trick questions or unexpected stuff?

No it was pretty much exactly the same stuff as Sportys ground school (or any other I imagine) prep. I'm bad at airspace so that's my Achilles heel and most of what I got wrong.

Mao Zedong Thot fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 5, 2020

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

azflyboy posted:

Nice!

Does Couer d'Alene still show up in a bunch of the navigation and sectional questions? I remember seeing it all the time when I did my PPL written, but I don't know if they changed it in the intervening 15 years.

Hah, no that was in my ground school a bunch. Both had the absolutely hosed DFW chart, and the test used it a few times.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Sagebrush posted:

https://www.sheppardair.com

Legally cheat for every FAA written. Get it over with and spend the extra time learning the material at your own pace instead of worrying about another test.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
What he said.

The ATP written was an absolute joke (and apparently hasn't changed substantially under the new rules), and all I learned was how to rote memorize answers and the trick to figuring out whether the high, middle or low answer was used for the navigation questions.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

I used Sporty's and a test review handbook that was useful. Test questions were either straight out of the book or extremely similar.

There's nothing on there that's super weird. The "hardest" part were the questions that require you to measure poo poo out, but I got one of those and it wasn't hard.

tldr; if you've been studying and know your poo poo, you'll pass easily.

EDIT: "know your poo poo" is a dumb way to phrase this and this post could be more helpful.

The test review handbook I used was Jeppesen's Private Pilot Test Guide. It summarizes a lot of the information and has example test questions. I went through the entire book over the course of a week and felt really comfortable.
I used the Sporty's questions to test myself. If you have Sporty's, take the test and once you get their endorsement and/or get a 90, go take the test ASAP.

Don't take too many practice tests - it's easy to see the same question multiple times and get used to the wrong answer. Overall, I ended up taking 3 practice tests (which I believe was enough to get the Sporty's written endorsement, though I just had my CFI endorse me for it anyways) and then took the test a couple days later. Ended up with a 96.

Don't stress about it too much. It's an easy test - you'll do great!

unpurposed fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jun 5, 2020

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Rolo posted:

https://www.sheppardair.com

Legally cheat for every FAA written. Get it over with and spend the extra time learning the material at your own pace instead of worrying about another test.

When did Sheppard air become available for the private written??????

????????

!!!!!!!!!!

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I don't think it is? they have the same page up they always have for PPL. I used it to pass my IFR written in the last month (95% :cool:). Great product and their "study strategy" really does work. The actual software looks like it was written in the 90's and their primary business email is at aol.com but that's aviation for you.

sanchez fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jun 5, 2020

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
"We're increasing the rental fee by $50/h due to improved avionics. The airplane is now an ideal IFR training platform."

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Does the key have a remove before flight tag on it?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

You leave your plane alone with a mechanic for an hour and it's up on blocks and the wheels are off. You leave it with an avionics guy for an hour: STILL AIRWORTHY.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

PAID CORPORATE PARTNERSHIP WITH SENSORCON.

Just kidding. I fly with this on my flight bag at ALL TIMES. It's permanently clipped. I don't ever even turn the thing off. It has lasted....3 years now?

https://sensorcon-sensing-products-...iant=4193484932

I FULLY ENDORSE THIS PRODUCT.

You would be SHOCKED by the different amounts of Carbon Monoxide coming at you.

It's a lot of fun to compare a Cessna to a Bonanza to a piper and etc. Even then they will be different but there are correlations.

IF YOU ARE FLYING GA YOU NEED TO PURCHASE THIS SENSOR. THE ORANGE DOT DOES NOTHING.

https://sensorcon-sensing-products-...iant=4193484932

DISCOUNT CODE 20% OFF : AIRCRAFT2017

I just verified it. It still works. Literally won't fly without this.

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 6, 2020

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The spot looks pretty dark though :thunk:

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

hobbesmaster posted:

Why do you think I'm such a shill for the sensorcon? I've had an exhaust leak.

I'm pretty sure I've posted about this before?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

hobbesmaster posted:

Not that those sensors are that great to begin with but his isn’t darkened. Those will get somewhere between the outer colored ring and black when activated. I replaced a lot of cracked exhausts when I was a mechanic and sometimes I’d get to find a darkened sensor inside that the pilot didn’t even notice.

Get one that beeps at you.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Yeah and also other things going on here.

1) Those things take a lot of CO over time. Sure you're supposed to replace them every so often but.........it's easy to overlook.

2) You are constantly getting "used" to what it looks like and unless you have a new one handy it can be hard to tell.

3) Those things are across the cockpit (lol I know in a cherokee but still) and your vision goes to crap with a real CO problem so you won't even be able to tell if it's good or bad, promise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Captain Apollo posted:

IF YOU ARE FLYING GA YOU NEED TO PURCHASE THIS SENSOR. THE ORANGE DOT DOES NOTHING.

No poo poo! The bonanza I used to fly developed a hairline crack from the aftermarket exhaust and was piping CO right into the cabin. Thankfully I had my own (cheapo hardware store digital CO detector) that started blaring at me on takeoff. My jackass boss asked me "well what does the dot show?" I told him my digital detector was literally reading off the charts and he simply said "how do we know it's accurate". gently caress that