Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Sir Lemming posted:

The modified TWoK uniforms seen in TNG alt-history episodes such as "Tapestry" are pretty good too. Similar style but they don't look quite as much like winter coats.

Aren't they the exact same uniforms but without the puffy collar on the undershirt?

e: Yeah, I think so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Enterprise uniforms are objectively the best.

POCKETS. THEY HAVE POCKETS.

There's probably some dumb reason why no one else gets pockets.

Nog: It's not my fault your species decided to abandon pants-based storage in favor of some philosophy of self-holding.
Jake: Hey, watch it! There's nothing wrong with our philosophy.
Nog: What does that mean exactly?
Jake: It means... it means, we don't need pockets.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Sure but what about the fact that the uniforms look like they were pulled out of an old maintenance shed

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Snorb posted:

(but putting the rank pips on the DSC Starfleet delta was a silly move

“Thank you...” <peers at breast> “...lieutenant? Ensign? Sorry, I need more light here.”

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
They look like flight jumpsuits to me.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Powered Descent posted:

Aren't they the exact same uniforms but without the puffy collar on the undershirt?

e: Yeah, I think so.

I really hate how they look without the collar and I'm bummed they took the production mistake that resulted in the first appearance of it and ran with it on subsequent appearances.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

DrNutt posted:

I really hate how they look without the collar and I'm bummed they took the production mistake that resulted in the first appearance of it and ran with it on subsequent appearances.

Same.

Also the Jack Crusher style mix of TWoK-uniform-without-collar-but-with-TNG-combage is just the fuckin' worst.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

feedmyleg posted:

Sure but what about the fact that the uniforms look like they were pulled out of an old maintenance shed

You mean uniforms worn by astronauts in their rickety ships before interstellar travel became routine? Where realigning the warp core might actually require a crowbar instead of isometric calipers or whatever?

ENT for its flaws nailed the 22nd century space shuttle aesthetic with the uniforms and sets.

Disco swooped in close but couldn't hit a braking orbit. Sleek jumpsuits with pockets, but using gold vs. bronze departmental signifiers and mini rank pips on the badge were a pop fly to center.

e: wasn't the deal with the TWoK uniforms missing the collars that some highly specialized sewing machine was required to make new ones that would stand up correctly, it broke, and the suits said "lol no" to buying a new one? Or am I conflating stories?

Admiralty Flag fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jun 4, 2020

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
If there's one thing I'll give ENT, it's the aesthetic. The tech reads as a perfect middleground between the TNG-and-beyond LCARS okudagram stuff and current space shuttle cockpit design. The effect wouldn't be as pronounced if the uniforms weren't also reflective of work jumpsuits.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Admiralty Flag posted:

e: wasn't the deal with the TWoK uniforms missing the collars that some highly specialized sewing machine was required to make new ones that would stand up correctly, it broke, and the suits said "lol no" to buying a new one? Or am I conflating stories?

The collars were quilted using a technique called trapunto. At the time of TWoK, the production could only find one trapunto needle, and it was very highly fragile.

When they were shooting Tapestry, the white collars wouldn't have fit Stewart, as they had all been fitted for Nimoy and Shatner.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Honestly I can't say I love any era's uniforms.

I like what Enterprise was going for but I think the execution is poor—they're too baggy, the colored piping makes it feel top-heavy compared to real NASA jumpsuits, and the ranks aren't differentiated enough. Sometimes TOS uniforms look good (science/medical especially) somethings they look clownish. TNG is really inconsistent but has a lot of variations which helps, but so often the uniforms are wildly unflattering to the actors and clash with the ship interiors. Plus, well... everyone kind of looks like a dork. DS9 is much more flattering but feels stuffy, especially against the darker lighting/environments. Discovery is really solid all around, but they feel more like costumes than uniforms because they're so overly slick—which applies even moreso to the Abrams films, where the pattern makes them look very silly in certain lights. But most of the movies in the franchise have at least some good uniforms. The Enterprise crew from Discovery are really really good but feel a bit hodgepodge and inconsistent when you see them all next to each other. Voyager is probably the overall winner in my book, having refined all the best stuff from DS9 and TNG without any of the goofiness.

e: But I think we all know who the true winner is.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 4, 2020

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

I can for sure see this argument, especially since they echo the neck in a really satisfying way, but I think the reason I still prefer the original ones is because they look so delicate. It's what makes it feel to me like a spaceship rather than a terrestrial vehicle, that they don't give a drat about gravity or air resistance. Plus, the shape is a nice contrast to the ships curves, but that's just down to personal preference.

I can also agree if someone feels like the front (but only the front) of the nacelles are an improvement in the refit, if only because the original ones sort of look like toys at the front.

Thoughts on Phase Two enterprise?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
What I hate about the modern uniforms is the compulsive need to stick the drat Starfleet delta absolutely everywhere they possibly can.

I can't remember whether it was Picard or Discovery but I remember rolling my eyes so hard when I saw that the drat boots had not one but two shiny deltas on the sides!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Admiralty Flag posted:

ENT for its flaws nailed the 22nd century space shuttle aesthetic with the uniforms and sets.

I really appreciated Admiral Whatshisname's uniform. It was a nice evolution of the Navy service dress uniform. It had components that put it in our time, but was giving way to the future jumpsuit era when everyone wears a jumpsuit uniform.

He had a necktie!

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
ENT's uniforms would have looked better with wrist braids instead of shoulder stripes and pips

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

Discovery is really solid all around, but they feel more like costumes than uniforms because they're so overly slick—which applies even moreso to the Abrams films, where the pattern makes them look very silly in certain lights. But most of the movies in the franchise have at least some good uniforms. The Enterprise crew from Discovery are really really good but feel a bit hodgepodge and inconsistent when you see them all next to each other.

Re: the Kelvin movies, that's why the ship uniforms in Beyond are some of my favourite, they're cleaned up, simplified with no patterning and a bit more solid.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Also something I really like about the TOS movies is at least trying to offer different duty costumes. I don't care if you think the white engineering suit or the "lol football uniform" security armor or the giant away-team overcoat look doofy, I respect that a hell of a lot more than TNG's costuming.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Thoughts on Phase Two enterprise?

It's great. It's not perfect, but it's about as good as a picky rear end in a top hat like me can hope for. It's got a lot of the same issues as the TMP refit, but waay toned down to a level where they barely bother me. The saucer is perfect, the torpedo bay feels slightly better integrated, but the saggy tummy is still less than ideal on the secondary hull. But the nacelles are still by far the biggest issue in my book—the cylindrical nature of the original ones meant that they looked good from every angle, but the Phase II nacelles look good only from the profile. Seen from any other angle they don't look like they belong on top of the pylons, like they're stuck on at the wrong angle. The triangular shape also sticks out because it doesn't feel like it's following the same organic lines as the saucer or secondary hull, but I admit it does tie well together with the neck and angled pylons. Still, the ribbed cutouts feel like they're from a completely different universe's ship design, and they're way too lumpy compared to the elegance of the rest of the ship. Something halfway between those and the original pylons would be ideal.

If I was better at 3D modeling I'd probably tinker around with something that felt like an early/mid-70s hybrid of the two. Or I'd get distracted by trying to make a TOS-era version of the Discovery and drive myself mad.

Tighclops posted:

ENT's uniforms would have looked better with wrist braids instead of shoulder stripes and pips

drat. Love this idea.

MikeJF posted:

Re: the Kelvin movies, that's why the ship uniforms in Beyond are some of my favourite, they're cleaned up, simplified with no patterning and a bit more solid.

Agreed. I just wish we saw more of them, and less of Kirk's absolutely hideous biker jacket. My big problem with Beyond was again consistency—everyone felt like they were wearing a totally different type of uniform in that movie. I understand the filmmakers wanting to have a bit more visual variety but it feels inconsistent compared to the standards set by the rest of the franchise. But that film was sort of all about hodge-podge, from the production to the story, so it ultimately works.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 4, 2020

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Just wondering, did Troi ever straight-up murder somebody on TNG?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

If I was better at 3D modeling I'd probably tinker around with something that felt like an early/mid-70s hybrid of the two. Or I'd get distracted by trying to make a TOS-era version of the Discovery and drive myself mad.

I love the Knazzer version, the overall shape of the wedge secondary hull works so much better than the series one with the way it angles to continue into the pylons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_F3FHrayoA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coXCH1oudT0

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 4, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Goddamn that's hot.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Just wondering, did Troi ever straight-up murder somebody on TNG?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqwYUumrXm0

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The only uniforms I don't like are the footie pajamas from The Motion Picture. Kirk's duty uniform, the white shirt and gray slacks, is fine but those one-piece suits are goofy.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Mushroom drive was the best part of DISCO. It was fun-stupid as opposed to joyless idiocy.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

I also liked that dying sentient sun episode, they were doing Star Trek for a hot minute there

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The best star trek uniforms are the ones on Babylon 5

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/MaraWilson/status/1268629224383934464?s=20

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Has Mara Wilson done anything since she was a baby. What movie was she even in other than Matilda? was that even a big film?

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Pick posted:

Has Mara Wilson done anything since she was a baby. What movie was she even in other than Matilda? was that even a big film?

I think she is a writer now.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Like it's funny when she dunks on cousin Ben Shapiro but it'd be funnier if she was doing something too

I do remember the twee cracked articles

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Pick posted:

Ms Doubtfire, Miracle on 34th Street

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
EXPLAIN THE ENTERPRISE TO ME OR I'LL loving KILL YOU! DON'T DUMB IT DOWN INTO SOME VAGUE poo poo! EXPLAIN THE ENTERPRISE TO ME RIGHT NOW OR I'LL LITERALLY loving KILL YOU! WHAT THE gently caress IS A SECONDARY HULL? WHAT THE gently caress ARE NACELLES? DON'T DUMB IT DOWN OR I'LL loving KILL YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Jewel Repetition posted:

EXPLAIN THE ENTERPRISE TO ME OR I'LL loving KILL YOU! DON'T DUMB IT DOWN INTO SOME VAGUE poo poo! EXPLAIN THE ENTERPRISE TO ME RIGHT NOW OR I'LL LITERALLY loving KILL YOU! WHAT THE gently caress IS A SECONDARY HULL? WHAT THE gently caress ARE NACELLES? DON'T DUMB IT DOWN OR I'LL loving KILL YOU

This is a copypasta by the way, I didn't just lose my mind

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

:smith: that's kind of a shame if true

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Jewel Repetition posted:

This is a copypasta by the way, I didn't just lose my mind

That you felt the need explain this makes you look crazier

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I like the TOS movie uniforms and how they always make the actors look like uncomfortable grumpy old people.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

:smith: that's kind of a shame if true

Maybe she's gotten better since then!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Feel like she could run it by Mike or LeVar first.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Nah, she could just ask resident Trek advisor Jamake Highwater.

Or, uh, on second thought maybe not.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
This open warfare that's broken out on Twitter between celebrities is a hell of a thing to watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Meanwhile, LeVar is over here taking no one's poo poo.

https://twitter.com/levarburton/status/1268762637648621569?s=19