Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will you vote for in 2020?
This poll is closed.
Biden 425 18.06%
Trump 105 4.46%
whoever the Green Party runs 307 13.05%
GOOGLE RON PAUL 151 6.42%
Bernie Sanders 346 14.70%
Stalin 246 10.45%
Satan 300 12.75%
Nobody 202 8.58%
Jess Scarane 110 4.67%
mystery man Brian Carroll of the American Solidarity Party 61 2.59%
Dick Nixon 100 4.25%
Total: 2089 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Yes. Yes it loving does.

No, it doesn't. You honestly don't understand how language works.

Refusing to commit to not doing something does not mean that you are committing to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Yes. Yes it loving does.

Also, where are those words that Biden said.

I dunno lets ask the guy who claimed biden said a thing

Cpt_Obvious posted:

He has very publicly stated that he intends on running for a second term. So...

What you posted when challenged on this is a statement where he refused to commit to not running for a second term, not that he committed to run for a second term. Which is not the same thing, so Pick was right unless you’ve got a different quote.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

evilweasel posted:

If only we had a very recent example of if joe biden could give someone with more enthusiasm/money/volunteering an atomic-sized wedgie just by being ahead in the polls

Yeah, if we had that, it would be great. Unfortunately, joe biden hasn't won a general election in 12 years, so we don't.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

evilweasel posted:

What you posted when challenged on this is a statement where he refused to commit to not running for a second term, not that he committed to run for a second term. Which is not the same thing, so Pick was right unless you’ve got a different quote.

The automatic assumption of literally every presidential candidate in American history is that they will run for a second term. Unless he says otherwise, it is completely reasonable to assume he will do so as well. Yes, you are correct, he did not specifically state he will run a second term. However, him refusing to commit otherwise leaves us with the obvious assumption that he will.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Rigel posted:

We could be pretty screwed in 2024 if he wins this year and then wants a 2nd term

This is the worst aspect of a Biden win - all the wrong lessons would be learned, enthusiasm drops through the floor and we get president Cotton or Crenshaw, as they try a gameplan that only worked against a flailing failprez.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/DavidShuster/status/1268649374961356802

jesus christ how tf can you think this would be GOOD for biden?????

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Euphoriaphone posted:

Before the markets tanked in March, you could make a strong argument that Trump was in the strongest position for reelection relative to any other incumbent in the last century.

Perhaps if you ONLY looked at the stock market and completely ignored approval, polls, and the midterm results.

Trump has been in varying levels of "pretty bad shape" since the middle of 2017, and hasn't ever looked like a strong bet for re-election. He happens to be cratering now, but he's been pretty weak ever since barely beating a very unpopular Clinton.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

A big flaming stink posted:

I hate, hate, hate that this will be a plus for non-zero number of Democratic voters.:ughh:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
People also said that Hillary Clinton endorsing Biden would be bad for him. It had no apparent downside.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

I think it would entirely depend on the type of endorsement.

If Bush came out and said "Vote for Joe Biden, he's pretty much a Republican and that's why I support him." that wouldn't be a great look, to be sure.

If Bush came out and said "Vote for Joe Biden, because Donald Trump is a failed leader and an active danger to our Democracy and he must be removed and I support a Democrat rather than another Trump term." well that would probably be just fine.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

How are u posted:

If Bush came out and said "Vote for Joe Biden, he's pretty much a Republican and that's why I support him." that wouldn't be a great look, to be sure.

If Bush came out and said "Vote for Joe Biden, because Donald Trump is a failed leader and an active danger to our Democracy and he must be removed and I support a Democrat rather than another Trump term." well that would probably be just fine.

GWB is renowned for his excellent judgement of character and decision making skills.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

How are u posted:

honestly bush endorsing biden would only prove the leftist fears of biden to be correct

and you know he's gonna pull zero republican voters to biden to make up for the loss

honestly i pray the article is bullshit because if its not its political malpractice on the highest level

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

there's three reasons

first, you need to remember mitch mcconnell's big epiphany in 2009: the american public believes bipartisan = good; partisan = bad. getting w's endorsement is part of making voting for biden bipartisan, and therefore good, while voting for trump is partisan, and therefore bad. yes, this is stupid as gently caress, but it does still seem to be accurate.

second, you know what the result will be: another week or two of trump spending part of the precious months he has left on stuff that doesn't help him one bit

third, the endorsement they're looking for isn't going to be "joe biden is my friend and heir" it's "look, i've been a republican all my life, i was even a two-term republican president, and i'm telling you, vote for the democrat instead of that lunatic, he's that bad" and hoping to sway a number of the republicans who have never liked trump that much. a number of those are already seemingly moving, since you don't get an 8-10 point lead in a presidential race without crossover like that.

it would probably have some downsides, yeah. but a lot of those are ameliorated by it not being biden doing this outreach: biden's not promising bush anything, obama and clinton are trying to do it.

separately, whatever you think of clinton's presidency or him as a person, the man was a generational political campaigning talent exceeded only by obama (again, whatever you think of his presidency, though you don't need the "or as a person" with him), if they both think it would help win the election i'm inclined to believe them and you probably should too.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Trump's meltdown alone would probably make it worth it. I'm pretty sure that, completely unjustifiably, W's favorability has gone up across a broad range of demographics over the course of Trump's Presidency.

Even if a W endorsement only peeled off a fraction of a percentage of Trump voters it would probably be worth it. The 2016 election was won on the slimmest of margins.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Pick posted:

People also said that Hillary Clinton endorsing Biden would be bad for him. It had no apparent downside.

I don't think anyone here actually said that. George W. Bush's endorsement, on the other hand, underlines the fact that Biden is basically a conservative Republican with overall better manners than Trump. There is no one who is going to be convinced to vote for Biden because of this, who wasn't already 100% onboard for him. It's playing to the MSNBC crowd, which Biden doesn't need to be courting, because he already has them in the bag.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Majorian posted:

I don't think anyone here actually said that. George W. Bush's endorsement, on the other hand, underlines the fact that Biden is basically a conservative Republican with overall better manners than Trump.

lol there were literally dozens of posts about how it was terrible for him to accept that endorsement, that it was a complete disaster for his campaign to accept it on a livestream on a tuesday afternoon seen by hundreds of voters, hundreds

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

evilweasel posted:

lol there were literally dozens of posts about how it was terrible for him to accept that endorsement, that it was a complete disaster for his campaign to accept it on a livestream on a tuesday afternoon seen by hundreds of voters, hundreds

I specifically remember that because I made the point that it was deliberately scheduled to get as little attention as possible, while still ticking the box.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

evilweasel posted:

the idea the media is lying in wait to take down Biden from a hilarious lead, but not until the convention because they’re saving their power while he’s not ‘technically’ the nominee to ensure a horse race, is some q-tier poo poo

it happened in 2016 :shrug:

like I don't understand how you can dismiss the thing that happened in the last presidential election as a conspiracy theory

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Pick posted:

I specifically remember that because I made the point that it was deliberately scheduled to get as little attention as possible, while still ticking the box.

which goes with what the common thread was which was 'yea it won't really do damage to him but HRC's endorsement will do nothing and her being on the campaign trail will be bad because she's terrible at this poo poo'? I don't think anyone seriously was saying Clinton would actively tank his campaign, but her endorsement is a net zero at best.

W, meanwhile, will be a fantastic reminder that Biden has more in common with the man who started our most devastating military blunder in american history and oversaw one of our most dire economic situations than he does any actual progressive, so yes I can imagine that will in fact dampen enthusiasm.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

evilweasel posted:

there's three reasons

first, you need to remember mitch mcconnell's big epiphany in 2009: the american public believes bipartisan = good; partisan = bad. getting w's endorsement is part of making voting for biden bipartisan, and therefore good, while voting for trump is partisan, and therefore bad. yes, this is stupid as gently caress, but it does still seem to be accurate.

second, you know what the result will be: another week or two of trump spending part of the precious months he has left on stuff that doesn't help him one bit

third, the endorsement they're looking for isn't going to be "joe biden is my friend and heir" it's "look, i've been a republican all my life, i was even a two-term republican president, and i'm telling you, vote for the democrat instead of that lunatic, he's that bad" and hoping to sway a number of the republicans who have never liked trump that much. a number of those are already seemingly moving, since you don't get an 8-10 point lead in a presidential race without crossover like that.

it would probably have some downsides, yeah. but a lot of those are ameliorated by it not being biden doing this outreach: biden's not promising bush anything, obama and clinton are trying to do it.

separately, whatever you think of clinton's presidency or him as a person, the man was a generational political campaigning talent exceeded only by obama (again, whatever you think of his presidency, though you don't need the "or as a person" with him), if they both think it would help win the election i'm inclined to believe them and you probably should too.

Yeah, they're looking for an analog to the Colin Powell endorsing Obama in 2008 moment.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

sexpig by night posted:

which goes with what the common thread was which was 'yea it won't really do damage to him but HRC's endorsement will do nothing and her being on the campaign trail will be bad because she's terrible at this poo poo'? I don't think anyone seriously was saying Clinton would actively tank his campaign, but her endorsement is a net zero at best.

W, meanwhile, will be a fantastic reminder that Biden has more in common with the man who started our most devastating military blunder in american history and oversaw one of our most dire economic situations than he does any actual progressive, so yes I can imagine that will in fact dampen enthusiasm.

there's still people who liked clinton a lot and still do in the democratic party, and snubbing her would alienate some of those people. her endorsement alone wasn't a positive but specifically snubbing her and never getting her endorsement would not have been a better solution.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

evilweasel posted:

Wow, sounds like they should be easy to cite then. As opposed to people saying that it wouldn't help Biden, which is how I remember it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Majorian posted:

Wow, sounds like they should be easy to cite then. As opposed to people saying that it wouldn't help Biden, which is how I remember it.

ok i found one in under twenty seconds

Cpt_Obvious posted:

People may not dislike her personally, but she is a walking reminder of the failure of the Democratic party. Attaching yourself to the most famous political loser in America is demoralizing. Every time you bring up HRC, you cannot ignore 2016. And when you are essentially running the same playbook, you don't want to be reminded that it didn't work.

It's a bad loving move.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

evilweasel posted:

Cool, you found one! The rest of the comments on the issue I'm seeing are saying "It's not going to help him that much," which is almost certainly accurate. I'm definitely not seeing "dozens," as you claimed.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Just a reminder you don't have to vote for the top of the ticket or you can vote third party. There is no reason you should ever vote for credibly accused rapists

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

evilweasel posted:

Yeah. I stand by that remark. It was not a good loving idea.

I didn't say it was going to tank his campaign, I said it was demoralizing to Democrats and may suppress Democratic turnout while inciting Republican turnout. And, frankly, it is far too early to gauge whether that is true or not.

Edit: Most importantly, there was literally nothing to gain from it.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Weren't a bunch of libs just last month talking about what a good and noble president GWB was? I remember people having to be reminded about all of the lying and warcrimes and massive economic crash, etc. D&D even has a Relive the GWB Presidency thread because people were acting like January 2001-January 2009 was some sort of halcyon age we need to hearken back to.

So yeah GWB's endorsement would probably be a net positive for Biden since the worst atrocities have been memory-holed in the rush to proclaim Trump some sort of unique aberration. It would also be a net negative for public discourse and policy since it would further normalize the horrendous, awful, and dangerous things GWB did, because the endorsement would include an absolute shitton of libs coming out of the wood work to proclaim GWB a great president now that he's officially on the team. At the end of the day these people don't actually care if you try to ban gay marriage, slash social security, or murder a million Iraqis - their biggest concern is whether or not you're on the team.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Yeah. I stand by that remark. It was not a good loving idea.

I didn't say it was going to tank his campaign, I said it was demoralizing to Democrats and may suppress Democratic turnout while inciting Republican turnout. And, frankly, it is far too early to gauge whether that is true or not.

Edit: Most importantly, there was literally nothing to gain from it.

A lot of Democrats still like Hillary Clinton, they just don't post here. There's a reason that she won the primary in 2016.

For any of them, who still care, he got the endorsement. I've never met a Democrat who thought that her endorsement was bad for him. I've seen people who said they arent going to vote for him who have said it was a bad idea, but obviously that doesn't hurt Biden.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Majorian posted:

I don't think anyone here actually said that. George W. Bush's endorsement, on the other hand, underlines the fact that Biden is basically a conservative Republican with overall better manners than Trump. There is no one who is going to be convinced to vote for Biden because of this, who wasn't already 100% onboard for him. It's playing to the MSNBC crowd, which Biden doesn't need to be courting, because he already has them in the bag.

I did a quick google, please PLEASE tell me this didn't happen.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

I did a quick google, please PLEASE tell me this didn't happen.

It hasn't yet, but it's apparently in the works:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Remember when iJeb! brought Dubya out of retirement as a Hail Mary to win South Carolina and Trump swept every district and took every delegate.

Anyway copying the Jeb campaign seems fine no red flags here

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
No one thought it was a bad thing when Bernie Sanders endorsed Joe Biden, despite being so unpopular he lost the primary twice in a row.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Sanders isn't unpopular

And it is in fact a bad thing that Sanders endorsed a rapist president.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

VitalSigns posted:

Sanders isn't unpopular

And it is in fact a bad thing that Sanders endorsed a rapist president.

Do you think he endorsed Trump or are you admitting Biden is going to be president?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Pick posted:

No one thought it was a bad thing when Bernie Sanders endorsed Joe Biden, despite being so unpopular he lost the primary twice in a row.

A lot of Sanders supporters thought it was a bad thing and prominent surrogates like Brianna Gray-Joy said what a bad look it was for Sanders.
Oh you mean for Biden? Yeah. No one said it was bad for Biden because Bernie was pretty popular and won three of the first four contests and won the biggest one on Super Tuesday.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Majorian posted:

It hasn't yet, but it's apparently in the works:

I have no words.
I am so tired of this.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Pick posted:

Do you think he endorsed Trump or are you admitting Biden is going to be president?

I have no idea who will be president, but I guess if you forced me to bet money right now I'd put it on Biden just because Trump is loving up everything so bad it's hard to imagine Biden finding a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

But he is Joe Biden, if anyone can find a way it's him

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Pick posted:

Evidence suggests that he is not, in fact, unpopular.

VitalSigns posted:

I have no idea who will be president, but I guess if you forced me to bet money right now I'd put it on Biden just because Trump is loving up everything so bad it's hard to imagine Biden finding a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

But he is Joe Biden, if anyone can find a way it's him

Yeah, if Biden is elected, it will not be because he won. It will be because Trump lost.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Oh hey just a reminder that Joe Biden is a rapist who the DNC cheated to get the nomination and don't vote for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Dr Pepper posted:

Oh hey just a reminder that Joe Biden is a rapist who the DNC cheated to get the nomination and don't vote for him.

Hey! He was victimized by drumpf because his son is an idiot crackhead who was given a tit-job paid more money in a month than a lot of us make in a year in a foreign country's energy sector in a transparent attempt to influence his father in a way that is different from all the massive bribes and no-show jobs Jared and Eric and Ivanka and Dad, Jr. get that make us all so foot-stampingly MAD cause repugnicans!

Pick posted:

I lost a lot of respect for the guy when he did that but it's the risk you run supporting a guy because of his words and actions, instead of just randomly picking a team and hand waving anything they do away. Sometimes they gently caress up and you gotta reconsider.

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 5, 2020