Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist

Mozi posted:

other than some fermented sauces most don't need refrigeration

I refrigerate all of mine after opening. I know it isn't necessary, but I remember the tabasco going grey in my mother's cabinet as a kid (also a hot sauce on top of our break room refrigerator has that ominous color). I remember having that ketchup that turned as well, so I refrigerate that. I still don't refrigerate vinegar, soy sauce, or worcestershire sauce. I have no real rhyme or reason. That is just what I do.

drunkb fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Mozi posted:

ok so a zillion bottles cluttering up my cabinet, we haven't improved much here

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

If you're not buttchugging a liter of Tapatio every week, what are you doing?

Mainlining it, bro. Its the only way to fly

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Mozi posted:

hot sauce should be stored at a rolling boil :11tea:

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

The Tabasco chipotle is one of my favorite sauces. To my surprise my local grocery store started carrying Marie Sharp's so I've got the habanero one I think which has a nice fruity flavor.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Mainlining it, bro. Its the only way to fly

:hmmyes:

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Put 1 pound of peppers in a juicer for some great sauce. Ghost peps are great for this.

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist
Is there a downside to refrigerating hot sauce other than it being cold rather than room temp?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

drunkb posted:

Is there a downside to refrigerating hot sauce other than it being cold rather than room temp?

running out of space in the fridge for anything other than your massive collection of hot sauces

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist

Klyith posted:

running out of space in the fridge for anything other than your massive collection of hot sauces

Haha! My fridge door holds 3 of them that I use most. Maybe a random one or two on the side wall. I am hardly a hot sauce horder.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Not really hot sauce, but trying different condiments got me to pick up a bottle of Pickapeppa and that stuff is pretty tasty on a burger.

Also Sriracha is good although a bit sweet. I like it mixed into some Mac and cheese.

I think I’m gonna do the tortilla chip/hot sauce thing tonight but add in a little bean dip.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I like sriracha. Fight me.

Ok. Are you one of those people who say they prefer the new version they made with the new peppers when they got into trouble with their pepper source? Think very carefully before you answer your butt may depend on it.

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Not really hot sauce, but trying different condiments got me to pick up a bottle of Pickapeppa and that stuff is pretty tasty on a burger.

Also Sriracha is good although a bit sweet. I like it mixed into some Mac and cheese.

I think I’m gonna do the tortilla chip/hot sauce thing tonight but add in a little bean dip.

Sriracha is good too. I liked it a lot on rice or maybe some baked chicken breast. I haven't bought in about two years. I walked into Aardvark by a young dude working at the butcher shop that told me that I wouldn't be disappointed if I bought it, so I did. He was right as hell. Sriracha has good flavor and a little heat, so it is what it is.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

evilmiera posted:

Ok. Are you one of those people who say they prefer the new version they made with the new peppers when they got into trouble with their pepper source? Think very carefully before you answer your butt may depend on it.

I have no idea. I've always just got the same one for a few years now.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I’ve never tried Aardvark and haven’t seen it around locally. Right now I’ve got Frank’s, Tabasco, Cholula red, green, and mango hab, and Sriracha. The Frank’s is just because I make a buffalo chicken dip every once in a while. Cholulas are for tacos/fajitas/nachos, Sriracha for eggs and whatever else. My stepson likes Cholula red so that one I always have on hand.

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

I’ve never tried Aardvark and haven’t seen it around locally. Right now I’ve got Frank’s, Tabasco, Cholula red, green, and mango hab, and Sriracha. The Frank’s is just because I make a buffalo chicken dip every once in a while. Cholulas are for tacos/fajitas/nachos, Sriracha for eggs and whatever else. My stepson likes Cholula red so that one I always have on hand.

Secret Aardvark has a flavor that is original. They have a store locator on their site. My little meat market popped up on it with my zip code. Mine charges $5.99 a bottle YMMV.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Definitely gonna try Secret Aardvark based on recommendations here and my coworker who is also a hot sauce guy.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Previa_fun posted:

Definitely gonna try Secret Aardvark based on recommendations here and my coworker who is also a hot sauce guy.

Same. When I was out today I looked for it but didn't find it.

I don't think I've had a habanero before. This should be interesting. I'll try the stuff that I got today tonight.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

i sauteed some veggies and then tossed it in valentina to eat with chicken

threw on some spinach & sun dried tomatoes as well and am gonna regret not making more

otoh

ice cream

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist

Same. When I was out today I looked for it but didn't find it.

I don't think I've had a habanero before. This should be interesting. I'll try the stuff that I got today tonight.

Looks like Whole Foods carries it by me and quite a few. I would look there if you have one.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

drunkb posted:

Looks like Whole Foods carries it by me and quite a few. I would look there if you have one.

hmm ive been pondering wher to get some hot sauce and you just solved my mystery ty

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

drunkb posted:

I just used their Sauce Locator that someone mentioned earlier and I found a place about 5 miles from me.

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist

Statutory Ape posted:

hmm ive been pondering wher to get some hot sauce and you just solved my mystery ty

You got it, kid

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
medium pace chunky on the shelf makes me sweat and instantly reach for water

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist

I just used their Sauce Locator that someone mentioned earlier and I found a place about 5 miles from me.

That was me and it is worth a little misdirection. Worth the test.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

drunkb posted:

That was me and it is worth a little misdirection. Worth the test.

It's where I grocery shop sometimes anyway so I'll put that on my grocery list.

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist

It's where I grocery shop sometimes anyway so I'll put that on my grocery list.

Hope you like it. I just looked at mine and I am less than a quarter of the bottle. I will be driving by there tomorrow to get dog food across the street. I am gonna pop in for another bottle at the butcher. I forgot because I changed jobs in the same company and now I am driving an hour plus to our remote sites and can't get the BG's if they happen. I get goon Ohio stomach occasionally. I time my delicious hot sauce accordingly.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
POAST UR SAUSES

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

Super Waffle posted:

POAST UR SAUSES

Nice tea collection. Twinings is choice

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
their Irish Breakfast is my favorite of theirs. orange pekoe is good for making iced tea too

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Unfinish3d posted:

their Irish Breakfast is my favorite of theirs. orange pekoe is good for making iced tea too

Their new “extra bold” English breakfast has been my go-to replacement for a morning coffee.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

drunkb posted:

Secret Aardvark is the best tasting and most versatile sauce in my mind. Butcher shop down the street from me has all of the flavors, but the habanero flavor is so good that I haven't tried any other flavors.

I don't use a ton of hot sauce, but I go though the Aardvark exponentially faster that the others. I grew up with Tabasco and Red Devil in my house. They were fine, but there are better options regularly available.

the other flavors aren't great imo. i cant say i tried em all but the alternate ones I did were very sub-par compared to the hab. the habanero one is just so loving good that they nailed that poo poo to perfection. but yeah i go through Aardvark a lot, i think partly because it's very liquidy and kind of more like an sauce than a 'dash of hot sauce' type ones. you can use a lot of it with little problem and it's very tasty.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Super Waffle posted:

POAST UR SAUSES

kinda sad and ran out of a lot of my better ones. i just put in an order for some more to stock back up:

was gunna try the Zombie Apoc one recommended but not for $16/5oz bottle lol

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Linux Pirate posted:

But that's half the fun :saddowns:

I'm starting to turn around on the hot sauce labels. Some are pretty fun.

I saw one today called something like Suck That Pepper and had a pretty woman deepthroating a chili pepper. Tacky as poo poo, but I laughed.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

I'm starting to turn around on the hot sauce labels. Some are pretty fun.

I saw one today called something like Suck That Pepper and had a pretty woman deepthroating a chili pepper. Tacky as poo poo, but I laughed.
i think there's a lot of good ones out there and i like a lot of them, its kind of like wine labels i guess. but imo the ones that are just like WEAPON OF ASSBLAST VOLCANO TOILET DESTRUCTION XXxX are really kinda dumb and gimmicky and doesn't make me want to buy it at all.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
When I was 16 I went through a phase of eating just white rice covered in el yucateco. very healthy and balanced diet for a teenager would recommend, definitely no side effects.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Lottie's is good stuff

If any of you are ever in Florida make sure to check out Firehouse Subs, they all have a wide and varied selection of hot sauces available.

Get the Engineer on wheat :swoon:

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
I got a friend who makes amazing Caribbean hot sauce. Van Kwartel is the brand name I think, helluh good and they grow all their own peppers.

Derpies fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jun 5, 2020

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
If you're having trouble finding Secret Aardvark and live in the Midwest, check out Meijer which has a surprisingly large collection of hot sauces. Speaking of, this thread reminds me I should pick up another bottle of Yellowbird Serrano at Meijer later.

Also that Queen Majesty ginger sauce looks amazing.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jun 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I wanna try that secret aardvark stuff but it is only at imported shops in australia and its 12 bucks for a plastic squeezy bottle which seems like a bit much