Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Captain Invictus posted:

hmmm, no, it says firefox is the default, so it's not that. there's nothing in steam itself to set that?
I had the opposite trouble when I deleted edge awhile ago. Steam game shortcut immediately lost all their desktop icons and will ask for browser to open them. The solution I found was to set it back to steam browser, which is call Browser on the list along with firefox, chrome, IE, etc.

Can’t recall how I did it, but try to get your steam game shortcut on the desktop to open with steam’s browser. Not by changing your pc’s browser default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

So Dragon Age Inquisition is finally available on Steam: how has it held up in a post-Witcher 3 world? Worth playing still? I loved Origins, never played 2, and I remember people raving about Inquisition when it first came out.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

So Dragon Age Inquisition is finally available on Steam: how has it held up in a post-Witcher 3 world? Worth playing still? I loved Origins, never played 2, and I remember people raving about Inquisition when it first came out.

Characters good, gameplay bad

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

if you like the bioware "here's a couple crew members, get to know them and their nuances" sort of thing there's some meat there for you but the actual game itself is just shy of a hotbar mmo, up to you whether that's worth it

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cross-Section posted:

Characters good, gameplay bad

efb

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

If you're an obsessive completionist, don't even think about playing the game. Everyone says to make sure you don't get stuck grinding out the first zone forever, but what they usually don't tell you is that other zones are full of filler quests that'll take forever and bog you down doing poo poo that doesn't matter too. If you're not an obsessive completionist, I think there's fun to be had there.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Inquisition is fine. It has some of the same problems as Andromeda in that it has a lot of meaningless quests in its open zones - some are okay though - but not as many of those problems and the main quest and characters surrounding it are much better.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sinteres posted:

If you're not an obsessive completionist

gently caress.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Inquisition is good if you do the quests that sound fun and don't bother with the rest. install a mod that makes war table quests complete automatically if you want.

The DLC is all worth it, in my mind.

I got a lot of mileage out of the character creator in that game, it was insanely good.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah it's fine, but there's a bunch of ullage you should skip if you don't want to get bored

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

By forgetting to pause a month for Humble, I've actually ended up with a really cool looking game that I never would have heard of otherwise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT581--ewYI

It appears to tick a lot of my personal boxes for a video game.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

gently caress.

Dragon Age Keep (if it still is up) lets you decide every major and most minor choices all the way back to DA1 for you DA:I game.

The area map where you have to go to cash in your collected bear asses (magica tablets or something) is the worst designed open world level I've ever seen with like 4 layers you have to navigate around tunnels and poo poo just to get to the special temple entrance every time. I went hard on a do-everything run but by the 2nd reward for turning those in being so hilariously poor I stopped collecting them ever. Everything else to 100% is significantly better and more fun, expect maybe the alchemy/plant farming part.

Story has a lot of ties to the franchise, is definitely worth it if you liked the first two and a few stellar characters who make it all better.

Download the "more interjections" mod though, somehow the original timer for squad interjections meant you'd rarely ever hear from them when they have a ton of lines to say.

Combat is fun as hell and easy to break with a twitchy teleporting sword mage or a assault cannon of an archer raining arrows down like that scene from 300 plus many other options.

Lots of unique dialogue and interjections based on character and class.

You can cheese the war table timed missions by changing your system clock ahead and just knocking them all out once they show up. There's quite a bit of flavor text to them to so just spamming them and not reading all the way through you can miss some fun stuff.

Also, keep multiple save files. There's a few weird persistent glitches you'll run into sometimes that are fixed by just loading a slightly older save and trigger the scene again. Cole is particularly notorious for a certain one.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 5, 2020

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

pentyne posted:

You can cheese the war table timed missions by changing your system clock ahead and just knocking them all out once they show up. There's quite a bit of flavor text to them to so just spamming them and not reading all the way through you can miss some fun stuff.

There's also entire war table mission chains that can actually be failed/cut short if you pick the wrong advisor. Some of them actually pay out pretty well if you handle them right.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Jerusalem posted:

gently caress.
Don't do it.

I did the whole loving thing and I regret it.

It's really bad because this quote is dead on:

Sinteres posted:

...but what they usually don't tell you is that other zones are full of filler quests that'll take forever and bog you down doing poo poo that doesn't matter too.
80% of the game is giant empty maps with pockets of copy/paste monsters that exist for no other reason than to waste as much of your time as possible.

Play the best one in the series, :frogsiren: Dragon Age 2 :frogsiren: , instead.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Burnout Paradise Remastered question: HOW DO I DISABLE WEBCAM FROM SWITCHING ON

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Nyaa posted:

I had the opposite trouble when I deleted edge awhile ago. Steam game shortcut immediately lost all their desktop icons and will ask for browser to open them. The solution I found was to set it back to steam browser, which is call Browser on the list along with firefox, chrome, IE, etc.

Can’t recall how I did it, but try to get your steam game shortcut on the desktop to open with steam’s browser. Not by changing your pc’s browser default.

I don't use desktop shortcuts to open games, I open them via steam library directly. this issue is when I click links in chat and it automatically opens in Edge. There's no "Browser" in the list, it's just firefox, chrome, IE(for some loving reason still), and edge.

I can uninstall edge? the option's greyed out when I go to it. I'd love to get rid of it and keep it gone because I hate how it keeps setting it as the default for random things every few updates.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The Joe Man posted:

Don't do it.

I did the whole loving thing and I regret it.

It's really bad because this quote is dead on:

80% of the game is giant empty maps with pockets of copy/paste monsters that exist for no other reason than to waste as much of your time as possible.

Play the best one in the series, :frogsiren: Dragon Age 2 :frogsiren: , instead.

There were definitely some interesting things going on in the story and if you can tough out the gameplay for it then more power to you but telling people to play DA2 to avoid DAI's c/p design is something well beyond galaxy brained. I don't think I've ever seen a AAA game with so much asset reuse, never mind the fact that everything in the game is flat, hideous, and boring. Say what you will of DAI but at least there were points in which it looked interesting.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

DrNutt posted:

There were definitely some interesting things going on in the story and if you can tough out the gameplay for it then more power to you but telling people to play DA2 to avoid DAI's c/p design is something well beyond galaxy brained. I don't think I've ever seen a AAA game with so much asset reuse, never mind the fact that everything in the game is flat, hideous, and boring. Say what you will of DAI but at least there were points in which it looked interesting.
Oh don't get me wrong DA2 loving sucks too but at least the levels are short and it's the action game it always wanted to be instead of a lovely MMO or terminally boring Baldur's Gate rip-off.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I remember enjoying DA: Origins. Fond memories. I liked the Golem buddy.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The Joe Man posted:

Oh don't get me wrong DA2 loving sucks too but at least the levels are short and it's the action game it always wanted to be instead of a lovely MMO or terminally boring Baldur's Gate rip-off.

Yeah but like, if you are in the mood for an action game and pick DA2 then something has gone terribly wrong. If I'm playing an RPG for story and characters I would much rather play DAI or DAO again before DA2 again. Although like every attempted replay of DAO I'm sure it would come to a screeching halt the second I hit the Deep Roads.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

If there was ever a book called "How not to gently caress up the opening hours of your open-world RPG", Inquisition's Hinterlands would be like half of it.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Orv posted:

A collectors edition for a remaster is certainly a thing.

Just lol if you didn't slam buy the C&C Remastered Collector's Edition

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Christ, he hasn't aged a bit.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Jazzpunk is a masterpiece.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
I enjoyed Kingdoms of Amalur, the combat was fun. The point about there being too many boring side quests is valid and true, but as a whole I thought the game was fine.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Inquisition was an MMO they clumsily attempted to turn into a single player game once they realised The Old Republic wasn't a World-of-Warcraft-style money replicator

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

All I know about Mirror's Edge: Catalyst is that it has amazing music by Solar Fields and that you apparently won't hear half of it when running through the levels.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZrif1uQ8GM

You know, the thing you are doing most of the time.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Cartoon Man posted:

All of those criticisms are correct but it’s still worth $10.

just a reminder here that EA has a 1year sub for $25 with a huge catalogue of their games too. It might be worth checking out instead sind a lot of their games are not that great to play twice but maybe worth 1 playthrough.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

haldolium posted:

just a reminder here that EA has a 1year sub for $25 with a huge catalogue of their games too. It might be worth checking out instead sind a lot of their games are not that great to play twice but maybe worth 1 playthrough.

Supposedly it’s going to also carry over onto steam “soon”. Right after everybody buys them on steam first and they milk those sales...

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

haldolium posted:

Is it Origin Access? The Basic is $35 and the Premier is $130 per year, but maybe there's a deal somewhere that I didn't see.

As far as I can tell, the main difference between the two subscriptions are "new" games: stuff like NFS Heat, Anthem, Star Wars Fallen Order, C&C Remastered, and, oddly, A Plague Tale. So the Basic definitely seems like a great deal if you're into Fifa, Madden, Battlefield/Battlefront, the rest of the NFS catalogue.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Artelier posted:

Is it Origin Access? The Basic is $35 and the Premier is $130 per year, but maybe there's a deal somewhere that I didn't see.

As far as I can tell, the main difference between the two subscriptions are "new" games: stuff like NFS Heat, Anthem, Star Wars Fallen Order, C&C Remastered, and, oddly, A Plague Tale. So the Basic definitely seems like a great deal if you're into Fifa, Madden, Battlefield/Battlefront, the rest of the NFS catalogue.

All this talk makes me think that we're finally approaching an era of games-as-a-service, then what you said just hit me. Of course it's going to be lovely subdivisions and lockouts and vendor exclusives, it's cable all loving over again. Or console wars, or streaming media fragmentation, or whatever. gently caress those people and their attempt to sink their own goddamn industry to make a quick buck. I think that thing with NVIDIA's G-play (?) having vendors panic-withdrawing is a good highlight of this; god loving forbid someone gets good-faith value out of it.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The music industry went there, wouldn’t surprise me to see video games trend that way too over the next decade.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Yeah, it is unfortunate. Things like Xbox Gamepass are a good deal for customers now, but that’s always how streaming starts. It always ends as a series of walled gardens that end up costing the customer more in total, with the ugly additional effect of being really bad for media accessibility and preservation.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The music industry (mostly) has it figured out, video games should too. But there’s going to be a lot of pain and bullshit first before they do.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Cartoon Man posted:

The music industry went there, wouldn’t surprise me to see video games trend that way too over the next decade.

The music industry isn't really a great comparison here, imo. The major platforms are mostly independent from labels and artists, there's only a few major exclusives and I can't think of anyone major who's holding out from streaming entirely. What I do think is cool is that at least for the moment, the industry seems to be able to accommodate multiple platforms. I do worry that it will eventually homogenise into one industry dominating megacorporation but for now I think it's cool that you can choose between Apple or Spotify or Amazon or Tidal (lol) and you're choosing the service rather than the content.

Video games are following the TV streaming model, where every dickhead has his own platform and I pick and choose which evil corporations I'm willing to deal with in exchange for the content they are hoarding and I have to let ten different people siphon money from my back account indefinitely if I want to enjoy a full range of content.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Seeing this thread finally understand why I refuse to rent games and I want to own them warms my heart.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Angry Lobster posted:

Christ, he hasn't aged a bit.

Of course he hasn't, he's the Messiah!

But yeah, I guess the shaved head+goatee look goes a long way towards self-preservation.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I think Origin Access Basic is still a pretty good deal, and maybe dipping into Premier is okay if there are a couple new releases you want to play. The only extras you get are Fallen Order, NFS Heat and season pass content for Battlefield V and Battlefront 2, and I guess Command and Conquer plus Plants vs Zombies. Basic even gets you 10 hour demos of whatever is on their "Play First" section, which right now is NFS Heat.

If you're not the kind of person to put tons of hours into individual games and like just dipping into a bunch, these subscription services are a godsend. Just comes down to a difference as to how you consume content. I'm never going to finish Gears Tactics, but I've had plenty of fun with it. Wouldn't buy it for £50, but I'd definitely play it now and then for £5 a month, along with a whole host of other games through Game Pass. Same with games like Frostpunk, or Nex Machina, or Bomber Crew and A Way Out, which are all on Origin Access Basic, which is just £20 a year. It even lets me try games I'd never buy like any of the recent NFS games, and heck, I've had fun with Payback trying to be a shittier Fast and Furious ripoff or Mass Effect Andromeda actually having decent combat.

Cool if folks don't like it, but it's still great value for a lot of people.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Just wanna say that I bought Steam DA2 because it said full controller support. Which a game released in 2011 and on consoles should have had, anyway. But this is apparently a lie.

I'm very glad I just returned it and got refunded. DA2 was not made for KB&M. I can't imagine it is any more fun with DAI. Then again, DAI 's gameplay was never fun so you aren't missing much with an inferior playing method.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Insert name here posted:

Just lol if you didn't slam buy the C&C Remastered Collector's Edition

I did not because I learned a long time ago that no matter how cool the tchotchke in a CE looks it's always gonna be made out of some resin bullshit or have some other massive defect when you get yours and be garbage. Though granted maybe that has changed since the days of MMO CEs.