Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Babe Magnet posted:

the thing in the astartes video is based on old 40k lore I believe

And this book was on boats long before the final Astartes video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Babe Magnet posted:

the thing in the astartes video is based on old 40k lore I believe

Naw, the creator of Astartes said he didn’t base it anything and was surprised when people started connecting it to existing lore.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
I mean, "spooky floating orb" is something that has showed up in SF before.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

BaronVanAwesome posted:

I'll be putting lady Stormcast heads and Escher heads on some marines whenever shipping happens, I'll post pics one day!

I have tried that, and it works, sort of, but I find the lady Stormcast heads are slightly too small.

(And the Escher heads are even smaller than that.)

So I want dedicated sculpted women's heads for my Space Marines.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

If GW comes out with lady space marines, I'm looking forward to the incredibly hamfisted retcon leading to lady SM than the actual Lady SM themselves

Kill Team question: Deathwatch can apparently take Intercessors in their squad, but where are the rules that actually say this? I have no idea how many points a DW Intercesoor costs.

n/m, I found it: its a blurb at the bottom of a page I always skipped over

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jun 5, 2020

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

If GW comes out with lady space marines, I'm looking forward to the incredibly hamfisted retcon leading to lady SM than the actual Lady SM themselves

"Primaris geneseed works on women. This didn't come up during 8th Edition's exploration of the Indomitus Crusade because look over there for the same reason Assault Intercessors didn't."

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jun 5, 2020

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
That post is smoking out chuds left and right and they're getting stomped. Glorious pr and ethical move by GW community who have been trying to burn off these people for years.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I don't think we're going to see female Space Marines, just more representation of Sororitas in the fluff.

The cinematic trailer put them on a mostly equal footing next to each other.

Give Sororitas Strength 4 imo.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Endman posted:

I don't think we're going to see female Space Marines, just more representation of Sororitas in the fluff.

The cinematic trailer put them on a mostly equal footing next to each other.

Give Sororitas Strength 4 imo.

I just think it loving sucks that if you want an army of supermen, you can easily go with any of the diverse themes they've spread across the various Space Marine chapters (viking werewolves, vampire statuary, sinister monks, crusading knights, vaguely Romanish soldiery of multiple sorts, steppe bikers, tacticool emogoths, cyborgs, dragon blacksmiths, atrocity sharks, et al, and that's just the loyalists), but if you want an army of superwomen you're stuck with the torture+burn+flagellation religious fanatics. I think the lore and stylistic focus of the Sororitas is loving cool but it's terrible that they then have to also fill the role of The Women Army, which means if you want a The Women Army force but don't want the rest of the Sororitas baggage, you're kinda poo poo out of luck, whereas anybody who likes the idea of armored supermen can find a flavor of armored supermen in the setting that works for them.

And I certainly don't think the solution to this is "Water down the Sororitas themes so they have broader appeal."

(But then I've been of this opinion since 1e Dark Heresy and the arguments over just how bullshit it is that if you want to play a superwoman soldier in that, your character is less powerful than if you want to play a superman soldier. "Just play a Sister of Battle" is a bad answer to "Why can't I play a female space marine?" in the context of a tabletop RPG.)

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jun 5, 2020

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

You could also, albeit with difficulty and at great expense, play an all female Guard army, which admittedly isn't a superhuman one. Unless you make 'em Catachan, I guess.

I mean, I guess you could also go entirely third party and find female models in power armor and make it a de facto female Space Marine chapter, I suppose.

But yeah, it does suck that the option doesn't exist easily.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Leave sororitas as regular humans that aren't fouled (too much) by the sciences and make women space marines.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Stephenls posted:

I just think it loving sucks that if you want an army of supermen, you can easily go with any of the diverse themes they've spread across the various Space Marine chapters (viking werewolves, vampire statuary, sinister monks, crusading knights, vaguely Romanish soldiery of multiple sorts, steppe bikers, tacticool emogoths, cyborgs, dragon blacksmiths, atrocity sharks, et al, and that's just the loyalists), but if you want an army of superwomen you're stuck with the torture+burn+flagellation religious fanatics. I think the lore and stylistic focus of the Sororitas is loving cool but it's terrible that they then have to also fill the role of The Women Army, which means if you want a The Women Army force but don't want the rest of the Sororitas baggage, you're kinda poo poo out of luck, whereas anybody who likes the idea of armored supermen can find a flavor of armored supermen in the setting that works for them.

And I certainly don't think the solution to this is "Water down the Sororitas themes so they have broader appeal."

(But then I've been of this opinion since 1e Dark Heresy and the arguments over just how bullshit it is that if you want to play a superwoman soldier in that, your character is less powerful than if you want to play a superman soldier. "Just play a Sister of Battle" is a bad answer to "Why can't I play a female space marine?" in the context of a tabletop RPG.)

I'm not saying they shouldn't make female Space Marines, I just don't think they will. Everything you've raised is a good reason why they should.

I reckon the reason we got a refresh of the Sororitas range at all is because GW saw that people wanted more female models and once they commissioned the refresh, I've got no doubt they all patted themselves on the back and considered the game's sexism problem solved.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Endman posted:

I'm not saying they shouldn't make female Space Marines, I just don't think they will. Everything you've raised is a good reason why they should.

I reckon the reason we got a refresh of the Sororitas range at all is because GW saw that people wanted more female models and once they commissioned the refresh, I've got no doubt they all patted themselves on the back and considered the game's sexism problem solved.

We’ll see. I hope you’re wrong, and that the popular response to the Sororitas refresh has taught GW the principle of get woke go broke sell out your entire stock in ten loving minutes.

You could be right, though.

(Although if we get women space marines any time in the next two years it’ll have been a decision that predates GW having access to Sororitas sales numbers, given the manufacturing time.)

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jun 5, 2020

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Ten years time and the 'they're going to replace regular marines completely with Primaris marines' is going to be taken over by 'they're going to replace Primaris marines with women marines'.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm honestly surprised that the chuds never latched onto Primaris as a proxy for their replacement theory bullshit.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

moths posted:

I'm honestly surprised that the chuds never latched onto Primaris as a proxy for their replacement theory bullshit.

All the smolmarines are white (and weak) while the primaris are a little more diverse and strong. That’s good chud bait.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Floppychop posted:

Regarding the "Cut Them Down" strat:

While it's better than the current scenario of your dudes just letting the other guys just walk away, I can't help but feel it's lackluster. Only one unit gets to do it due to it being a stratagem and even if it's a squad of 30 you'll only average 5 wounds. I'm just comparing to Overwatch that gets to do it as much as they want as long as the unit isn't already engaged.

My pet theory is that Overwatch could change to be closer to this. Having to do a whole series of hit, wound and damage rolls for the opposing player during your turn just seems slow and lovely. Flip it around. "Overwatch - when someone charges your unit you can Overwatch, make ranged attack rolls for your weapons as if it was the shooting phase, on a 6+ the charging unit suffers a mortal wound." The issue is with balancing out the fact that sometimes you charge something bristling with lascannons that can just blast you with 6 wounds a piece, and sometimes you charge 100 Tau with pulse guns.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Harkano posted:

My pet theory is that Overwatch could change to be closer to this. Having to do a whole series of hit, wound and damage rolls for the opposing player during your turn just seems slow and lovely. Flip it around. "Overwatch - when someone charges your unit you can Overwatch, make ranged attack rolls for your weapons as if it was the shooting phase, on a 6+ the charging unit suffers a mortal wound." The issue is with balancing out the fact that sometimes you charge something bristling with lascannons that can just blast you with 6 wounds a piece, and sometimes you charge 100 Tau with pulse guns.

I've always thought that overwatch should have been a trade-off like it was in the 2E era, where you would forgo a turn of shooting to get the chance to shoot as normal in your opponent's turn as he breaks cover and moves toward you. Simply getting free potshots doesn't add much depth or decision making to the game.

A stratagem would be a nice way to do it too, but I'm not sure how they'd rebalance all the faction & unit abilities that affect overwatch.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Stephenls posted:

I have tried that, and it works, sort of, but I find the lady Stormcast heads are slightly too small.

I think this looks wicked and not out of scale at all!

Maybe I'll use the Escher heads for a scout or assassin or something

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Stephenls posted:

(And the Escher heads are even smaller than that.)

So I want dedicated sculpted women's heads for my Space Marines.

Anvil Industry and Statueque Miniatures both do some properly-scaled heads for Primaris, if you don't mind 3rd-party. Of course, GW making it official would be better.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

xtothez posted:

I've always thought that overwatch should have been a trade-off like it was in the 2E era, where you would forgo a turn of shooting to get the chance to shoot as normal in your opponent's turn as he breaks cover and moves toward you. Simply getting free potshots doesn't add much depth or decision making to the game.

A stratagem would be a nice way to do it too, but I'm not sure how they'd rebalance all the faction & unit abilities that affect overwatch.

Yeah I'm sure I've seen other games treat it like that. Isn't X-COM, use the action 'overwatch', you give up you chance to shoot now, but when someone comes into your line of sight you get to blast them?

Making it a strat would be really interesting, but it's a big step from 'everything overwatches all the time' to 'only one thing gets to a phase' which seems like possibly too big a change. And especially with your T'au faction stuff.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I'm a little bit disappointed with the cap on CP, because I think whilst solving one issue they've caused another. I'm an Ork player, so a big part of being an Ork player is filling out as many detachments as possible to get command points because almost all our cool poo poo is locked behind stratagems. What this change means is that, most likely, Ork players will no longer be running grot battalions to get 5cp and be able to shoot twice with Lootas and/or respawn Boyz. I get the theory behind it - we should now be able to take what we want (in GW terms, this is the stuff they can sell for more, Elite/Fast Attack/Heavy units), so more Lootas or Burnas or Deff Dreads etc., instead of spending points on hordes of Grots or Boyz. But, Lootas are really powerful because of More Dakka (2CP), and you can protect them because of Grot Shields (1CP). Meganobz can destroy units with Get Stuck In Ladz (3CP). Boyz can smash, die, and smash again with Unstoppable Green Tide (3CP). Almost all Ork units are buffed by these stratagems, and weakened by capping CP per points/penalizing using more battalions.

I'm sure it will work itself out in the end. Players will come up with new strategies, GW will FAQ/update the rules to try to equalize things, and we haven't even seen the rest of 9e so maybe I'm annoyed about nothing. I just kinda think at the moment it seems like some armies are going to be really nerfed by capping CP, and it's not like they're top of the current meta.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I think it's just going to make everyone judicious with stratagems so they are clutch plays rather than "every turn this model uses this stratagem".

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Harkano posted:

Yeah I'm sure I've seen other games treat it like that. Isn't X-COM, use the action 'overwatch', you give up you chance to shoot now, but when someone comes into your line of sight you get to blast them?

Making it a strat would be really interesting, but it's a big step from 'everything overwatches all the time' to 'only one thing gets to a phase' which seems like possibly too big a change. And especially with your T'au faction stuff.

Yes, its the same as concept as Space Hulk. Space Hulk let's you shoot all turn though whereas Xcom let's you shoot once at the first thing that moves in your line of sight.

If you had to trade in your shooting but overwatch hit on your normal BS I think it would be too powerful, and if you traded in your shooting and it hit on 6s I think it would be too weak. So it will be interesting to see what they've done.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

EvilHawk posted:

I'm a little bit disappointed with the cap on CP, because I think whilst solving one issue they've caused another. I'm an Ork player, so a big part of being an Ork player is filling out as many detachments as possible to get command points because almost all our cool poo poo is locked behind stratagems. What this change means is that, most likely, Ork players will no longer be running grot battalions to get 5cp and be able to shoot twice with Lootas and/or respawn Boyz. I get the theory behind it - we should now be able to take what we want (in GW terms, this is the stuff they can sell for more, Elite/Fast Attack/Heavy units), so more Lootas or Burnas or Deff Dreads etc., instead of spending points on hordes of Grots or Boyz. But, Lootas are really powerful because of More Dakka (2CP), and you can protect them because of Grot Shields (1CP). Meganobz can destroy units with Get Stuck In Ladz (3CP). Boyz can smash, die, and smash again with Unstoppable Green Tide (3CP). Almost all Ork units are buffed by these stratagems, and weakened by capping CP per points/penalizing using more battalions.

I'm sure it will work itself out in the end. Players will come up with new strategies, GW will FAQ/update the rules to try to equalize things, and we haven't even seen the rest of 9e so maybe I'm annoyed about nothing. I just kinda think at the moment it seems like some armies are going to be really nerfed by capping CP, and it's not like they're top of the current meta.

I don't think GW loved players turning up with Ork/GSC armies precisely sorted into 3 Battalions to a) maximise CP and b) make sure that every unit was always using its optimal faction trait. They're talking about trying to equalise CP and make the game less about taxes like playing double/triple Battalion just to participate, but I bet they also had "get rid of mixed faction lists being the standard" in mind too.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Did GW ever do a separate sprue or a pack of loose Vostroyan heads?

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

EvilHawk posted:

I think they're probably gonna have to balance armies which rely on having lots of command points to be good (guard and cult spring to mind as well). Whether they realize that made this indirect nerf, or whether they're going to spend the next two years making weird back and forth re-balancing, because they don't understand what happened remains to be seen.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Revelation 2-13 posted:

I think they're probably gonna have to balance armies which rely on having lots of command points to be good (guard and cult spring to mind as well). Whether they realize that made this indirect nerf, or whether they're going to spend the next two years making weird back and forth re-balancing, because they don't understand what happened remains to be seen.

Yeah I think that's almost certain - which makes the messaging about how they've released PA with 9e in mind (including all the new stratagems) seem really loving weird.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

EvilHawk posted:

Yeah I think that's almost certain - which makes the messaging about how they've released PA with 9e in mind (including all the new stratagems) seem really loving weird.

Don't forget you generate 1 CP/turn now too, so you still have a functional 17.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

Did GW ever do a separate sprue or a pack of loose Vostroyan heads?

Metal only models so nope. Pretty sure there's at least a couple of third party producers that fill in that niche though.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Only way you'd get me to play marines would be with female models, and I'd sell my only sons only bones to buy them.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Anyone own the Kill Team: Rogue Trader set and could tell me the approximate size of the four big Infected models? Wondering about the possibility of using one as a Nurgle Daemon Prince

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Well the order I placed with GW on 12 May for three easy build intercessors and 6 paints has now been shipped, so it's taken like 25 days. No idea what was causing the hold up, maybe a paint wasn't in stock or something.

Either way, I have a box of reivers and made that into three teams of three thanks to the heads up here (I couldn't believe there were so many heads in that box) so now my painting project has three kill teams of Excoriators, Silver Skulls, and Black Consuls.

Essentially using the models to practice some techniques either I struggle with, don't do often, or just an alternate take on what I do, such as:

• Painting white, black, and silver armour
  • Painting dark skin tones
  • Painting battle damage
  • Better purity seals
  • Edge highlighting
  • Free hand designs

I've learnt a few things so far that are pretty good, the biggest improvement so far has been the free hand painting. The gothic looking 2 is now consistent, the silver skull logo has gone from "cartoon skull" to "vaguely like the logo" and I'm really proud of the fist on the Excoriators logo which is actually drat good.

After these guys are done I'm selling two of the teams on ebay just to recover some money, and then work on the scenery I have. At this point in my home I'll have like, three dedicated kill teams (two AM, one Space marine), my girlfriend will have one (space wolves) and I can make another one using my Grey Knights. So more than enough to play a four way game of some friends stay over.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Cooked Auto posted:

Metal only models so nope. Pretty sure there's at least a couple of third party producers that fill in that niche though.

Yeah, I saw a set of heads in Another Place but didn't remember it being part of the release back when they released so I was confused.

They looked like actual Vostroyan heads too (not just "beardy dudes in bearskins" like Anvil does) so it might be that someone decapitated some originals and cast them?

:shrug:

pod6isjerks
Feb 17, 2005

Nap Ghost
That lady Cadian in the trailer was pretty neat. Would be nice if they offered those as an option, or really anything new at all! Also, is it too much to ask to have some Guard helping out in the big battle at the end?
I get that the Space Chads and Space Nuns are gonna be the focus but, at least have a few random guardsmen (guardsladies???) firing lasguns in the background!

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Kitchner posted:

Yes, its the same as concept as Space Hulk. Space Hulk let's you shoot all turn though whereas Xcom let's you shoot once at the first thing that moves in your line of sight.

If you had to trade in your shooting but overwatch hit on your normal BS I think it would be too powerful, and if you traded in your shooting and it hit on 6s I think it would be too weak. So it will be interesting to see what they've done.

If I recall correctly, in 2nd edition, overwatch involved giving up your shooting to take one shot in your opponents turn, at -1 to hit. It seemed reasonably balanced in an edition where a lot of things were not.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Maneck posted:

If I recall correctly, in 2nd edition, overwatch involved giving up your shooting to take one shot in your opponents turn, at -1 to hit. It seemed reasonably balanced in an edition where a lot of things were not.

Thing is -1 to hit is vastly better than now because there's loads of ways you can modify it. Right now unless you have an overwatch specific rule you hit on a 6, which means lots of modifiers and buffs don't matter.

I can see the logic behind something like this though. It's always a bit counter intuitive that a BS 2+ model who is an expert marksman basically the top tier of shooting in the entire galaxy has the same chance to hit as a grot.

I think they said overwatch will benefit CC armies though so i doubt overwatch is getting better.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
I did one of those meme things the kids talk about these days

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Kitchner posted:

Well the order I placed with GW on 12 May for three easy build intercessors and 6 paints has now been shipped, so it's taken like 25 days. No idea what was causing the hold up, maybe a paint wasn't in stock or something.

I ordered from my LGS like the first day it was possible and it took 2-3 weeks to get stuff because I bought an Imagifier and they didn't ship it for a while. I think they're prioritising independents first rather than customer orders + if you order one of the random things where stocks are low it's taking a while to get them set up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actually3raccoons
Jun 5, 2013

xtothez posted:

I did one of those meme things the kids talk about these days

That comparison feels really unfair.

The Orks are better than that.