Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ok the one thing I would change for the Horizon sequel is merchants wanting animal bits for weapons as well as money. For gently caress’s sake why do you need three different animal skins to give me a rattler, I have so many shards, just fuckin take them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Escobarbarian posted:

Ok the one thing I would change for the Horizon sequel is merchants wanting animal bits for weapons as well as money. For gently caress’s sake why do you need three different animal skins to give me a rattler, I have so many shards, just fuckin take them
Almost everything about its weapon and crafting system was pointless. It was especially funny that they used MMO style rarity coloring for the weapons and armor, except there's only like 10 of them each in the whole game.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
HZD wishlist: Remove everything related to scanning or speed it way up

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I think HZD2:H1N is a pretty good candidate to draw from the "strand game" archetype we all know so well. You're rebuilding society, there's the Focus system that could serve as an analogue to the chiral network.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Re: weapon/item durability, I think it was used well in Death Stranding. It's a big part of the timefall mechanic and part of the general cost of roaming around. You can wander around all you want, but Sam will gradually wear out and so will your equipment, so it encourages you to stop and rest and replace broken down gear. I've only had a few times where things have totally worn out and most items can be replaced very quickly and easily once you get to a shelter. It helps reinforce the need to rely on support from the shelters you're delivering to.

I would love if HZD2 stole some ideas from Death Stranding. My biggest problem with the main and side quests in HZD is that it, like most games, comes down to: go kill a thing, go grab X things, follow this smellovision trail to a dude and then kll a thing. Death Stranding switches that up by making it so that each location you connect gives you the ability to add structures, making it significantly easier to get around, and it makes those moments feel a lot more rewarding than new loot.

I'd love for HZD2 (and other games) to steal the idea of allowing the player to build structures that help them out. The flipside is that you need to make sure there are problems in normal traversal that structures can fix, so I'm not sure how that would translate to the systems in HZD2. I would definitely be down to have some way to build a friendly version of the control towers from the Frozen Wilds DLC.

Being able to override robots and travel with them would also open a lot of cool combat situations, as mentioned earlier- you might run into a bandit camp with capture stalkers, so you can either take it on all on your own, or you can go capture a Thunderjaw and storm the place. That'd be incredible!

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Hey Mono

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Raptor1033 posted:

I bought DMC5 during the spring sale and just finished my first playthrough. I'm really mad at the story and feel weird about that. There's something extremely weird about the pacing and loading times that make it so I never want to play more than one mission at a time. Probably gonna play though again on the next difficulty but as someone who did best with V, I guess I have to get better about not button mashing. I'm pretty sure it's why I suck rear end with Nero. Man...

The story is paced super weird, agreed.

Nero really comes into his own with the ability that you unlocked for beating the game. I understand why it's gated behind a story completion, but it's absolutely the key to pushing Nero to the limits. Well, that and also really exploring his robot hands.

V is coded weird so that button mashing is honestly the most effective way to play him at higher levels and you'll get SSS ranks in fights where you feel like you dind't do anything because I think the game just registers consecutive, uninterupted actions from V, Griffon, and Shadow all at once.

I love DMCV and I love the narrative direction, but V is half baked and the lack of Virgl/Lady/Trish DLC is frankly inexcusable

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hey mom

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Finally got around to playing 2018 God of War and maybe I'm crazy but I ended up kinda mixed on it? The core gameplay is really good and fluid and they do deserve credit for making an AI partner that doesn't feel like you're handholding a dumbass all the time, which is pretty impressive when you're stuck with them for the entire game. The banter was fun and the writing was overall pretty solid despite some weirdly rushed character development in places.

My biggest gripe was the bosses, which is normally not that big a deal, but for a franchise known for huge setpiece fights against a gauntlet of gods, this one really fell short. I know that thematically, *not* ripping through the Norse pantheon is kinda the point, but it's such a cool mythological setting and instead I think something pretty drat close to 75% of the boss battles are against the same palette-swapped trolls. They played up Thor and Odin so much and keep pointing out how you killed his kin and he's going to be pissed and then you just...don't fight them.

The enemies in general just felt too samey by the end - you go from fighting a bunch of generic elemental enemies to fighting those same exact enemies with bigger numbers next to their name. I actually don't think it really needed the quasi-RPG inventory system at all - you get a ton of different armor sets but there's always a clearly superior set at every stage of the game and not really any good reason to branch out, especially when your own gear level is so important.

I'm curious to see where they go with the next one - I think it's hard to argue that the series didn't need some kind of reboot to keep it from getting stale, but at the same the move to the industry-standard AAA over the shoulder look kind of stripped away a lot of the spectacle that put it on the map in the first place. It's still hard to think of many games that made such good use of scale as the the other GoWs.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Oh yes I forgot to list my #1 hope for the sequel: A permanent robot companion who teaches Aloy the power of friendship.

Wow, thanks a lot. Now my #1 hope for the sequel is a robot companion that she fuses with as armor like a Power Ranger or something.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

ur dumb

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Wow, thanks a lot. Now my #1 hope for the sequel is a robot companion that she fuses with as armor like a Power Ranger or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD2koKniCYQ&t=155s

:hmmyes:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So when is the PS5 event likely to be now that it got moved?

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

veni veni veni posted:

It doesn't lay the story on too thick and although it's not good, it's generally entertaining. TBH I think Days Gone was one of the more fun open world games I've played in the last couple of years. The gameplay is good and the world in fun to explore. It also shifts gears in a way that I really enjoyed.

It's far from perfect, but I am pretty picky about the entire genre and enjoyed every minute of the 50 or so hours I put into it.

Mind if I toss in a question? I’ve just gotten to the first horde mission and did they change stealth? I’ve been trying to lob attractors and follow up with napalm but after the first one, the whole horde zeros right in on me and I get surrounded in seconds. Doesn’t matter how firmly in the bush (lol) I am, they spot me.

Frustrating because I am more of stealth guy in my gameplay on this one.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

punk rebel ecks posted:

So when is the PS5 event likely to be now that it got moved?

anyone's guess. i'm thinking it could be within the week.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The not-E3 event got moved to June 13th so I'm guessing before then at least since they'll probably want to show off stuff before the general games show.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Probably not until the unrest dies down

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Finally got around to playing 2018 God of War

I wasn't mixed on it but I agree completely. My biggest gripe with the game was the lack of enemy variety. With any luck now that they've got their engine and gameplay set we will see much more interesting bosses in the next one. I'm very excited for it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The God of War sequel could just be 20 hours of Kratos vs Thor but it’s DBZ style and you just keep knocking each other into different parts of the map and every break in the right is just you guys trying to get back to the fight.

Yeah the lack of cool Norse monsters was severe. Ancient Greece has a really awesome bestiary of recognizable monsters of myth, and I was excited to see that same level of cultural fables from Viking lore and was super disappointed that the entire game is like

Trolls
Elves
Ghosts
Dragons
Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dumb
Skinhead Kid Rock

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dunno why Power Rangers was the first thing that came to mind instead of MegaMan but yeah, that.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

haveblue posted:

Probably not until the unrest dies down

We are pleased to announce the PS5, even though y'all bought it months ago

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Australian Court finds Sony guilty of "making false and misleading representations" regarding game sales and consumers' rights

Australian Competition & Consumer Commission posted:

Sony Europe made misleading representations to four consumers who believed they had purchased faulty PlayStation games. This occurred when Sony’s customer service representatives told them over the phone Sony Europe was not required to refund the game once it had been downloaded, or if 14 days had passed since it was purchased.

“Consumer guarantee rights do not expire after a digital product has been downloaded and certainly do not disappear after 14 days or any other arbitrary date claimed by a game store or developer,” ACCC Chair Rod Sims said.

[...]

Between October 2017 and May 2019, Sony Europe’s Terms of Service implied that users did not have consumer guarantee rights regarding the quality, functionality, completeness, accuracy or performance of their purchased digital games. This was false as these guarantees cannot be excluded, restricted or modified.

“Consumers who buy digital products online have exactly the same rights as they would if they made the purchase at a physical store,” Mr Sims said.

“No matter where in the world a company has its headquarters, if it is selling to Australian consumers, the Australian Consumer Law applies.”

The PS5's price just went up a teensy-tiny bit. The fine is $3.5 million.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CaptainCrunch posted:

Mind if I toss in a question? I’ve just gotten to the first horde mission and did they change stealth? I’ve been trying to lob attractors and follow up with napalm but after the first one, the whole horde zeros right in on me and I get surrounded in seconds. Doesn’t matter how firmly in the bush (lol) I am, they spot me.

Frustrating because I am more of stealth guy in my gameplay on this one.

I'm not sure if it changes stealth but I wouldn't be surprised . AFAIK the only way to stealth a horde is to sneak up to them and lob something at the most dense area, then lose them, repeat. But overall hordes are more about triggering them and funneling them into areas to create some space. You are going to want to get used to fighting them head of because you are going to be fighting a lot of them. Don't worry though. It's very fun once you get the hang of it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The only complaint I really have about Horizon is how the skill tree doesn't have much that's truly useful and you'll have all the good skills before the game really even starts.

Seriously I'm level 10 and just left the prologue and the only essential skill I don't have is Tinker

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The fact that all of the useful skills and gear are so frontloaded makes me feel like they really didn't want a bunch of ARPG bullshit in there to begin with and caved under pressure. Either because of pressure from Sony or just lack of confidence due to it being their first open world game. Who knows.

None of it is really outright bad. It's all pretty standard open world stuff and it doesn't drag the game down to the point that I care much. But it's not good. I don't think anyone walked away from HZD feeling like an enjoyable part of the game was tracking down racoon skins so they didn't have to leave poo poo on the ground or holding x in the menus to craft stuff.

It's probably delusional to think there won't be some sort of ARPG upgrade mechanics in the sequel, but I do hope they just let it take a back seat and tone it all down a lot. Just have an upgrade feel important, finding an item feel important...just cut out the fat and it would be fine.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I just got Yakuza 0 but now I really want to try Horizon Zero Dawn instead after reading this thread

haven't really been able to get into Yakuza 0 yet. There's a lot of talking and punching and not much else so far

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Paperhouse posted:

There's a lot of talking and punching and not much else so far

:thunk:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Paperhouse posted:

I just got Yakuza 0 but now I really want to try Horizon Zero Dawn instead after reading this thread

haven't really been able to get into Yakuza 0 yet. There's a lot of talking and punching and not much else so far

It takes a few chapters before you get to play.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just play HZD instead.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Yakuza 0 and HZD were in my top 10 of best games played that year. Both are great. Yakuza 0 is my 4th best game of all time and HZD is 6th.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yak0 is the number 1 funniest game I've ever played. The writing/localisation are amazing. It's amazing how a game translated from Japanese is funnier than any native-language English game I've played.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Spiderman is guilty of some of the same crimes as hzd and other open world games in terms of unnecessary crafting, but what I really, really love about it is the lack of resource gathering / unmarked collectibles.

In story missions in particular, its so refreshing to just blast through areas without painstakingly checking every nook and cranny for stuff to collect.

In fact, playing spiderman has made me realise how exhausting that kind of cycle is in virtually every other game; constantly having multiple paths to choose from or big areas, then setting off down one route, realising that the route you've gone down will progress the plot or take you to a new area, and then doubling back to go down the other path because I. CANNOT. ABIDE. NOT. COLLECTING. EVERYTHING.

but maybe that's just me.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Fix posted:

It takes a few chapters before you get to play.
I guess I'll say a controversial opinion: It's bad when games do this, no matter what reason or excuse they tell themselves for it.

Edit: one easy way to make me happy in that regard is to do that thing where you are instantly thrown into combat with early to mid-game abilities, and then the actual beginning of the game is effectively a flashback. Or you can be like Spider-Man where he just jumps out the window and you're web slinging.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jun 5, 2020

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

I guess I'll say a controversial opinion: It's bad when games do this, no matter what reason or excuse they tell themselves for it.

Agreed. I don't think it's a controversial opinion at all.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Agreed. I don't think it's a controversial opinion at all.
Controversial among game developers, clearly.

Even ones that I love, like team Yakuza.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Samurai Sanders posted:

Edit: one easy way to make me happy in that regard is to do that thing where you are instantly thrown into combat with early to mid-game abilities, and then the actual beginning of the game is effectively a flashback. Or you can be like Spider-Man where he just jumps out the window and you're web slinging.

Eh, I wouldn't like it if it were the case in most games, but I also wouldn't like all games to follow the same formula.

If every game were to take the metroidvania approach of giving you all the power and then stripping it away, it'd get really boring really fast. I can appreciate different entrances to stories.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Slow starts are good especially in horror games

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Perfect Element posted:

Spiderman is guilty of some of the same crimes as hzd and other open world games in terms of unnecessary crafting, but what I really, really love about it is the lack of resource gathering / unmarked collectibles.

In story missions in particular, its so refreshing to just blast through areas without painstakingly checking every nook and cranny for stuff to collect.

In fact, playing spiderman has made me realise how exhausting that kind of cycle is in virtually every other game; constantly having multiple paths to choose from or big areas, then setting off down one route, realising that the route you've gone down will progress the plot or take you to a new area, and then doubling back to go down the other path because I. CANNOT. ABIDE. NOT. COLLECTING. EVERYTHING.

but maybe that's just me.

I don't know if I can agree. Spider-Man is one of the most egregious examples of "so you thought you were done with the collectibles, now here's 7 more types of them, all in places you already had to visit to get the first 7 sets of collectibles."

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm fine with a slow start as long as that start is good and fun. I really liked the first chapter of Y0 because it was full of melodramatic crime drama and had that crazy beat em up gauntlet at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Y0 is a particularly weird case for me because they went with that other, much more boring style for cutscenes for just the very beginning of the game, and then never again.

Edit: Also I hate it when games make you walk agonizingly slowly to follow some NPC, when the entire rest of the game is about running around like a bat out of hell.