Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
gently caress sake

https://twitter.com/TheHouseLive/status/1268806554884734976?s=19

Same loving day

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1268819853298860033?s=19

Jose fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jun 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

B-plot: Data's cat dies and he decides to explore grief

:(

In my head, Data would either write him another Ode or else play/compose a violin piece, and I would cry.

E: also Data experiments with a series of new pets - robotic, holographic, Targ, bird, before a chat with Geordi/Troi helps him realise that Spot can't be easily replaced and he needs to take some time. Episode ends on Data cleaning away Spot's toys

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jun 5, 2020

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
gently caress it I'm out

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Tories gonna Tory

Wait, this guy is Labour? :gonk:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Maugrim posted:

Tories gonna Tory

Wait, this guy is Labour? :gonk:

Now I'm not saying the phrenologists are on to something, but whenever there's a headline like that it's *always* accompanied by a head shaped like that.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

forkboy84 posted:

The only way my morale will be improved by a new Royal Yacht is if we taxpayers all get a time share of it. I bagsy 2 weeks next July.

2 weeks? just how high are you expecting the covid death rate to go?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Failed Imagineer posted:

:(

In my head, Data would either write him another Ode or else play/compose a violin piece, and I would cry.

E: also Data experiments with a series of new pets - robotic, holographic, Targ, bird, before a chat with Geordi/Troi helps him realise that Spot can't be easily replaced and he needs to take some time. Episode ends on Data cleaning away Spot's toys

Less of this pls :(

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

I don't like the rhetoric, but if you look at the actual policy proposals they are about getting rid of means tests, which seems good. If they're trying to use National Insurance arguments to restore Universality, I'll wince a bit but I'll take it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They should start by replacing housing benefit with public housing, getting rid of a £12b subsidy to private landlords who contribute a negative amount.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Oh dear me posted:

I don't like the rhetoric, but if you look at the actual policy proposals they are about getting rid of means tests, which seems good. If they're trying to use National Insurance arguments to restore Universality, I'll wince a bit but I'll take it.

Wallet Inspector, please paypal me the contents of your wallet so I can inspect it for you.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Oh dear me posted:

Yeah I just read the actual article and it's mostly... Fine?

Seems like their strategy is go for headlines that the gammonati will broadly agree with and then propose some decent changes under cover of it.

Only works if you have a sympathetic media e: and is a poo poo strategy for the long term because the overton window is a thing

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Wikipedia suggests his oldest child has autism, so presumably he'd be okay with one of his children getting gently caress all in terms of welfare payments if he isn't able to work due to his autism.
[edit]
Even if he means something else, this is stupid, since most people (like me, apparently) don't read much beyond the headline

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

New Labour tried this approach and all of did was make the public distrust 'scroungers' and 'bogus claimants', which then led to 'and obviously we can't trust Labour to do anything about it, time to vote Conservative'.

gently caress me, what's the point of anything. Just let a combination of Covid and hard Brexit kill everyone including me.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

XMNN posted:

gently caress it I'm out

Yeah me too. Thanks to OwlFancier for reminding me earlier this week that dilemmas over giving people money should go "Do they need money? Do you have spare money? Done." Now someone get on and remind the Labour Party of the same thing.

Look ooh symbolic ooooh:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Kokoro Wish posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuXzvjBYW8A

I really do appreciate this video. Guy's a Tory, so I'm no going to agree with all of the conclusions, but the analysis seems sound.

This was a fascinating video to watch, thank you for linking it.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Oh dear me posted:

it's a truism as old as the internet that people don't read past the headline. but I think recently on this forum it's been getting worse.
hypothesis is that it's because the old custom of copying & pasting the whole article text has been usurped by embedding a tweet. hardly nobody is actually clicking on the links are they?

so, suggestion for the mods. make a rule that people have to copy the article, or at least the relevant parts they are wanting us to take an interest in if it's a 10,000 word epic.
no-one ever cared before that was technically a copyright breach, and won't care now.
could volunteer this thread as a guinea pig before deciding to make it a forum wide rule.

what do people think?

quote:

“In a way, if you look at eligibility for Universal Credit, people are not wrong.

“You can make significant contributions to the system and find that actually, you’re not really eligible for any major support if you need it, even in a crisis like this one.

“I think you’ve got to recognise that that’s a big problem for working people in the UK.”

The Labour frontbencher added: “When you’re looking at how you design or change the system going forward, certainly I feel if you have made greater contributions to the system, there is an argument that you should receive more out of that system.

“It doesn’t mean that you will ever be leaving people without support or leaving them destitute.

“But I simply feel that that lack of a connection between what you put in and what you get out has become a major problem of social security and the political support for it.”
and so on. remove the savings cutoff, two-child limit, benefits cap, 5 week wait & no recourse to public funds bar. add statutory sick pay for all.
I'm seeing a lot of good suggestions, that were to be fair not far from the 2 Corbyn era manifestos.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

kingturnip posted:

Even if he means something else, this is stupid, since most people (like me, apparently) don't read much beyond the headline

most people have never heard of, never mind read Politics Home.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Fair points, but this article doesn't so much elaborate on the headline as restate it, along side a bunch of semi-related good things.

What does "if you have made greater contributions to the system, there is an argument that you should receive more out of that system" mean? Without elaboration, it just sounds like the dogwhistle that we all reacted to in the headline.

It sounds like it could be a prelude to a needs based system rather than a means based one - e.g. a pandemic has ruined your income, so you can have benefits based on what you need (i.e. your outgoings), and regardless of things like savings cutoffs and child limits as you say. But that still isn't really based on greater contributions - if you just started living in expensive London when the pandemic (or regular scheduled capitalism recession) hits, you might not have contributed much yet.

Or is it an argument for universalism? But again the more in = more out seems at odds with that.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Tsietisin posted:

This was a fascinating video to watch, thank you for linking it.

Given that he was the Education Secretary responsible for pushing through the £9k/year fees, I'm not sure I'm interested in listening to what David Willetts has to say.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

"what you put in should be linked to what you get out" is loving nonsense. The people who put in more to the Welfare State - through taxes - are the loving people who least need it. If you are earning enough that you are paying high taxes you do not need more out of it than someone who is disabled or unemployed. If anything there should be a loving inverse link.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I have a physical need to see the tweet that this was in response to:
https://twitter.com/inthesedeserts/status/1268312102877478913

Cerv posted:

it's a truism as old as the internet that people don't read past the headline. but I think recently on this forum it's been getting worse.
hypothesis is that it's because the old custom of copying & pasting the whole article text has been usurped by embedding a tweet. hardly nobody is actually clicking on the links are they?

so, suggestion for the mods. make a rule that people have to copy the article, or at least the relevant parts they are wanting us to take an interest in if it's a 10,000 word epic.
no-one ever cared before that was technically a copyright breach, and won't care now.
could volunteer this thread as a guinea pig before deciding to make it a forum wide rule.
It's still a poo poo headline for assholes, but that'll be on the subeditor or whoever they've streamlined that down to in this exciting age of digital entreprejournalism.

But yes, I agree with the sentiment, not sure about a hard and fast rule yet, but by comparison remember every headline about Labour during the Corbyn years of "Holocaust Denier Corbyn Conference!" and it turns out that an Israeli activist who said "Holocaust denial is legal in the UK, but you don't have to listen to them, respond to them, or give them a platform" was at a conference that Corbyn attended the following day.

These headlines are intended to build up a toxic atmosphere, just in slightly different ways.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Kokoro Wish posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuXzvjBYW8A

I really do appreciate this video. Guy's a Tory, so I'm no going to agree with all of the conclusions, but the analysis seems sound.

He said that the wage benefits tied to location being fully captured are fully negated by the housing costs is a failure of the market. Isn't it a perfect "success" of the market that if labour is mobile and real estate is not that the benefit of the location advantage accrues to the capitalist who controls that location...

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Bobstar posted:

Fair points, but this article doesn't so much elaborate on the headline as restate it, along side a bunch of semi-related good things.

What does "if you have made greater contributions to the system, there is an argument that you should receive more out of that system" mean? Without elaboration, it just sounds like the dogwhistle that we all reacted to in the headline.

It sounds like it could be a prelude to a needs based system rather than a means based one - e.g. a pandemic has ruined your income, so you can have benefits based on what you need (i.e. your outgoings), and regardless of things like savings cutoffs and child limits as you say. But that still isn't really based on greater contributions - if you just started living in expensive London when the pandemic (or regular scheduled capitalism recession) hits, you might not have contributed much yet.

Or is it an argument for universalism? But again the more in = more out seems at odds with that.

my reading is it's an argument for universalism. everyone is eligible without means tests and caps and so on, and at a higher level that now with leaves people destitute.
but on top of that can pay out more to people who've paid more in. this concept already exists in the state pension which counts your NI contribution years.
this is framed as a way to sell the concept of state social security to people who are currently paying in, but not receiving payouts out who otherwise just see it as a wealth transfer from themselves to "scroungers".

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Cerv posted:

It's a bad sign for Labour in general, though, that left-wing goons are looking at a headline like that, written about a Labour Shadow Cabinet member, and thinking "Yes, that sounds like something one of Keir's cronies would say"

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

It's still a poo poo headline for assholes, but that'll be on the subeditor or whoever they've streamlined that down to in this exciting age of digital entreprejournalism.
undoubtably
if I could ban headlines as a concept I would

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Maugrim posted:

Yeah I just read the actual article and it's mostly... Fine?

Seems like their strategy is go for headlines that the gammonati will broadly agree with and then propose some decent changes under cover of it.

Only works if you have a sympathetic media e: and is a poo poo strategy for the long term because the overton window is a thing

This is exactly what New Labour always used to do. As you say though - rhetoric matters. It's exactly how we end up with the next Tory government using the exact same rhetoric to justify doing the really bad things, because it becomes normalised.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jun 5, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Cerv posted:

my reading is it's an argument for universalism. everyone is eligible without means tests and caps and so on, and at a higher level that now with leaves people destitute.
but on top of that can pay out more to people who've paid more in. this concept already exists in the state pension which counts your NI contribution years.
this is framed as a way to sell the concept of state social security to people who are currently paying in, but not receiving payouts out who otherwise just see it as a wealth transfer from themselves to "scroungers".
There's a close analog in Marxian discussion that says that there's a tendency for costs of living and general wages tend to differ from place to place, going for an egalitarian universal basic income, for example, would prejudice against the poor in London more than the poor in Nottingham, because you're giving them the same number of living tokens and then turning a blind eye to the cost of bread (and utilities, rent, social activities).

You can then generalize that the poor person in London will have on average paid more in, they'll be earning higher average wages but paying much more in rent than the person in Nottingham, so you can then make a case that the person in London probably has a case for a higher base income.

That's a generalization though and doing it purely on contribution leaves the poor person in London who can't work poo poo out of luck, so it has to be based on regional cost of living base rates as well assumptions about their cost of living from what that specific person has paid in.

Engels posted:

As between one country, one province and even one place and another, living conditions will always evince a certain inequality which may be reduced to a minimum but never wholly eliminated. The living conditions of Alpine dwellers will always be different from those of the plainsmen.
(and it also doesn't mean that we shouldn't do anything to reduce those inequalities)

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Bobstar posted:

quote:

...only then can the narrow horizon of bourgeois right be crossed in its entirety and society inscribe on its banners: From each according to his ability, to each according to his ability!

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Rhetoric is important, but is that headline Rhetoric a result of the site editor or the minister?

The idea of 'if most people pay taxes but don't get any welfare benefits, they are more likely to otherize people on benefits than if they are receiving benefits theirselves' is one of the reasons for a pivot to UBI

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

feedmegin posted:

This is exactly what New Labour always used to do.

No, it isn't, because they loved means tests. New Labour welfare policies were shittier than their rhetoric, if anything. These policies are quite decent, although I'd like to see more. I agree on your general point about the long term bad effects of rhetoric, though.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Waiting for the ronya post about how this is actually more progressive than corbyn's 2017 policy and asking why we weren't angry then.

It does underline the problems of rhetoric and trust though.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
We've not even reached the first phase of

quote:

The means of production are no longer the private property of individuals. The means of production belong to the whole of society. Every member of society, performing a certain part of the socially-necessary work, receives a certificate from society to the effect that he has done a certain amount of work. And with this certificate he receives from the public store of consumer goods a corresponding quantity of products. After a deduction is made of the amount of labor which goes to the public fund, every worker, therefore, receives from society as much as he has given to it.
yet though, which is explicitly contribution based with a public fund for the common good.

Whether we go through that phase or something else, talk of contribution isn't inherently reactionary, it's just been solidly co-opted by reactionaries over the past few decades as the press stirred a moral panic about single mothers and idle poor and benefits street, rather than buy to let landlords and factory owners.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lmao check out some of the names on this

https://twitter.com/gabrielquotes/status/1268822601561972739?s=20

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

The collapse of Labour as a party of labour illustrated:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuXzvjBYW8A&t=2310s

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Cerv posted:

Hmmm. I guess it's "paying in more" that's ambiguous. For the NI-pension link, the contributions are defined across the working life. For benefits that might be needed at any time, it's not so clear cut.

Do we mean paying in more in total, in which case people starting out get screwed over, which is in keeping with the lower minimum wage for young people, but at odds with how commercial insurance works?

Or do we mean paying in more per unit time, which is more like insurance, where you can pay more per month to get more cover, but you get paid out right away if needed? But can lead to a rich young person getting more out in total than a poor person who makes it to death without happening to need it.

Basically my gripe is solely with the "have paid in more" phrasing, which I find hard to make sense of

(sorry cerv I know this isn't your policy that you must defend, just thinking out loud really)

Cerv posted:

undoubtably
if I could ban headlines as a concept I would

Henry Charles Newspaper III, inventor of the newspaper: "And there will be a line at the head of each article, usefully summarising its contents"

Modern people: "How can we obscure this article as much as possible while still gaining clicks, preferably by using only words that can each be multiple different parts of speech?"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol scottish labour

https://twitter.com/GerryHassan/status/1268827486449733632?s=20

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Rhetoric is important, but is that headline Rhetoric a result of the site editor or the minister?

The idea of 'if most people pay taxes but don't get any welfare benefits, they are more likely to otherize people on benefits than if they are receiving benefits theirselves' is one of the reasons for a pivot to UBI

the headline is obviously something singled out from the interview, and perhaps if they had chosen a different quote it would have been received differently, but he did say you should get more out if you put more in

quote:

“I want simplicity, I don’t think necessarily Universal Credit does that. We need a system where everyone feels it’s available to them. When people put in, they get the right amount of support out of it. And if you put more in, you get more out of it. But it genuinely is there for everybody. And at the same time gives dignity and respect to people with disabilities who won’t be able to participate in the labour market in the same way,” he says.  
like obviously not everything he suggests is bad (e.g. higher SSP, end of the two child limit) but it just feels like the same sort of thing that leads to stuff like the Tories deciding you aren't actually an adult until you're 25, and feeds into the benefit scrounger narrative even if that's not what he explicitly intends

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/jsternweiner/status/1268843452776828929?s=20

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

good thread on why this policy and rhetoric is loving stupid

https://twitter.com/stavvers/status/1268842343974735875?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Bobstar posted:

(sorry cerv I know this isn't your policy that you must defend, just thinking out loud really)

yeah, everyone knows I'm actually Keir Starmer, not junior minister who's name I can't remember

don't apologise. I'm just thinking out loud too. yours & Guavanaut's last post both really helpful