Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will you vote for in 2020?
This poll is closed.
Biden 425 18.06%
Trump 105 4.46%
whoever the Green Party runs 307 13.05%
GOOGLE RON PAUL 151 6.42%
Bernie Sanders 346 14.70%
Stalin 246 10.45%
Satan 300 12.75%
Nobody 202 8.58%
Jess Scarane 110 4.67%
mystery man Brian Carroll of the American Solidarity Party 61 2.59%
Dick Nixon 100 4.25%
Total: 2089 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Condiv posted:

biden being endorsed by bush is literally way more problematic than the joe rogan endorsement everyone gave bernie poo poo for. at least joe rogan didn't do rendition, cia black sites, intentionally let black people drown out of pure racist spite, etc.

because the people that whined about rogan’s endorsement do not actually care about any of the things they said they were mad about Rogan over. It was entirely performance whining to sink Bernie and every single person that attacked Bernie over that endorsement thinks a bush endorsement is a great idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Mellow Seas posted:

It was an event specifically aimed at black supporters moderated by Don Cheadle.

I mean it would be ridiculous even without that, but let’s just start there. And stop there.

This doesn't actually answer my question, but your fear of engaging with it is duly noted.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Somfin posted:

Yeah, I meant in addition to that.

I checked this one just to be sure, and sure enough, there's literally only one racial group that fits between ten and fifteen percent of the population.

If he didn't mean for us to look for matching percentages, why did he make it a range from ten to fifteen. Not some pablum about how some folks just ain't very good I reckon, but hinting at a specific, measurable slice of the population? Beyond that, why would he try to divide people? Why now?

Especially after Bernie's wildly successful "Not me, us" campaign framing. And before folks say "well if it was successful why didn't he win," winning isn't the be-all and end-all for folks who have actual principles.

Somfin posted:

I didn't ask why you're ridiculing it. It's very obvious that you're ridiculing it because you think it's ridiculous. You might also notice that other people disagree. Could you explain why you think it's ridiculous?

before i get into deconstructing this does anyone want to put their hand up and suggest that either they actually do agree with somfin, like he references in the second post, and perhaps explain some of the steps that are not elaborated on in his logic, or suggest that even though they agree with somfin on, say, who to vote for in november they would think its unfair to consider this view also their view

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i know libs have comically thin skin but maybe you people could be putting your money towards bail funds or something helpful. seems idk ridiculously petty to spend it antagonizing leftists?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

evilweasel posted:

before i get into deconstructing this does anyone want to put their hand up and suggest that either they actually do agree with somfin, like he references in the second post, and perhaps explain some of the steps that are not elaborated on in his logic, or suggest that even though they agree with somfin on, say, who to vote for in november they would think its unfair to consider this view also their view

If you're genuinely planning to throw together some sort of really fascinating top rope slam response post, I would like you to take this one (which I notice you excluded from your reply) into account:

Somfin posted:

I don't think there's a motive, like I don't think that Biden is a Klansman or whatnot, but I do think that there's an underlying network of assumptions and half-truths that he's working from that are sourced from and massively support white supremacy; the same assumptions and half-truths he's been working from his entire life but now only half-glimpsed through fog. He knows that there's something he read once about how 12% of the population account for most of the crime, so he vague-ified that up to make sure he wasn't completely off and drooled it out.

It is exactly, exactly, what Trump gets so much criticism for.

as it more or less sums up how much I think Joe Biden actually thinks about the situation.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Somfin posted:

This doesn't actually answer my question, but your fear of engaging with it is duly noted.

You really have a poetic touch, don’t you.

I believe the original question was something about my “faith” in Joe Biden: my assertion that Joe Biden was not, in fact, trying to sneakily day that all black people are bad, at an event for black people, does not require “faith in Joe Biden”.

I sincerely hope and believe that he will be a better President than Donald Trump, and so I support his candidacy. That’s it. I’m not in his fan club. I don’t think he’s a good person. I don’t think his brain works well. But I do think it works well enough to not make a cryptic blanket statement that black people aren’t good people at an event for black people.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

because the people that whined about rogan’s endorsement do not actually care about any of the things they said they were mad about Rogan over. It was entirely performance whining to sink Bernie and every single person that attacked Bernie over that endorsement thinks a bush endorsement is a great idea.

This seems revisionist to me, I thought people were upset with Bernie for going on Rogan's show, not accepting an endorsement.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

There's a difference between many left commentators, who had this issue, versus bad faith Grey Lady or other commentators.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

it really shouldn't be an issue for a politician to say that some people aren't very good people imo even if putting percentages to it is the sort of thing a massively egotistical sixteen-year-old would do

this isn't much of a gaffe

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Mellow Seas posted:

It was an event specifically aimed at black supporters moderated by Don Cheadle.

I mean it would be ridiculous even without that, but let’s just start there. And stop there.

You know how joe biden gropes women over and over on camera and if anyone complains he crys crocodile tears about how he's just affectionate and he's actually the victim of vicious slander? Same thing, but he's doing his power move against a black guy instead of little girl.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Jarmak posted:

This seems revisionist to me, I thought people were upset with Bernie for going on Rogan's show, not accepting an endorsement.

turns out you're the one with poo poo for memory

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51241462

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/me...3066#blogHeader

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/24/politics/bernie-sanders-joe-rogan-endorsement/index.html

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

it cannot be overstated how insane it is that people are angry that a political candidate campaigns in one of the most popular and far-reaching platforms in the country

it's completely demented

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Mellow Seas posted:

I don’t think his brain works well. But I do think it works well enough to not make a cryptic blanket statement that black people aren’t good people at an event for black people.

And that's genuinely what I wanted to know. You see that and assume he's not dogwhistling, not because you think he wouldn't in other circumstances, but because you think he's smart enough not to do so in that circumstance. That's a fair assessment.

I don't think it's ridiculous for other people to suggest that he might actually not be smart enough to avoid that blunder.

Anyway, I've probably engaged with the thread for long enough that some rear end in a top hat's about to buy me a rapist avatar, so I'm gonna go silent and just lurk for a while.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Let's be honest, Rogan sucks horse nuts, but, despite the racism and transphobia, he's still responsible for laundering fewer deaths then the Grey Lady.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

V. Illych L. posted:

it cannot be overstated how insane it is that people are angry that a political candidate campaigns in one of the most popular and far-reaching platforms in the country

it's completely demented

again, the same people who were furious about this are working to get George Bush, a genocidal war criminal, to endorse Biden.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

If you're calling people you're arguing with here on this forums hypocrites that were being disingenuous about their criticism of Bernie than media reporting he was being attacked from the left is not evidence about the posters you're claiming are disingenuous.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

a politician appearing on a mass media platform does not endorse that platform

sanders also had some very successful town halls on fox news, which was also a smart campaigning move

appearing on CNN does not constitute support for the iraq war, nor yankeeland interventions in latin america

it's bizarre that this even needs to be said

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Jarmak posted:

If you're calling people you're arguing with here on this forums hypocrites that were being disingenuous about their criticism of Bernie than media reporting he was being attacked from the left is not evidence about the posters you're claiming are disingenuous.

you called the people remembering this event correctly "revisionist". i just gave you a pile of evidence to the contrary. i didn't say you were disengenuous. i said you have a poo poo memory.

edit: are you trying to characterize a bunch of tweets from the khive as leftist criticism of Bernie?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Jarmak posted:

quote:

"Let's be clear: Transgender equality is the civil rights issue of our time," Biden tweeted. "There is no room for compromise when it comes to basic human rights."

also biden posted:

please gwb endorse me despite your gross human rights violations

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

V. Illych L. posted:

it's completely demented

Yeah it’s the same people who got mad at him for going on Fox News for a town hall. The same town hall where he convinced the attendees that Medicare for All was good despite the best efforts of the moderators.

It’s performative nonsense for liberals. They want enemies so that their team can win and they can own the chuds, they don’t actually give a poo poo about spreading a message and creating a better world. They think getting a GWB endorsement will own Trump and make him furious and don’t give a poo poo about the fact that he’s a war criminal responsible for the deaths of a million Iraqis.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jun 5, 2020

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

V. Illych L. posted:

a politician appearing on a mass media platform does not endorse that platform

sanders also had some very successful town halls on fox news, which was also a smart campaigning move

appearing on CNN does not constitute support for the iraq war, nor yankeeland interventions in latin america

it's bizarre that this even needs to be said

Who are you arguing with?

I felt the way about the Rogan thing: limiting the people you spread your message to to only the pure is absolutely dumb as gently caress. Convincing those that disagree with you requires engaging those who disagree with you.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

punishedkissinger posted:

you called the people remembering this event correctly "revisionist". i just gave you a pile of evidence to the contrary. i didn't say you were disengenuous. i said you have a poo poo memory.

edit: are you trying to characterize a bunch of tweets from the khive as leftist criticism of Bernie?

You're not on here arguing with CNN

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Jarmak posted:

You're not on here arguing with CNN

oh i'm sorry, i didn't realize that when you said "people were angry" you specifically meant "people on these subforum were angry"

i'll try and keep in mind that this thread can only discuss political discourse in the context of this thread going forward.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
To be clear for everyone's memory, the issue was that Bernie championed the endorsement. Not that he didn't shake his finger at Rogan. The issue was that he actively engaged.

There is a strategic reason that he did what he did just like Biden is doing what h'es doing. Joe Rogan isn't a war criminal so what Joe Biden is doing is worse. I don't particularly hold it against Bernie and am more troubled with Biden because I'm not sure if it's a good strategy on top of being gross.

But as someone who was disappointed and concerned by Sanders going on Rogan, I think it's lovely to create a strawman of people crying crocodile tears or erase there being any legitimate concerns at all with Sanders's decision.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Timeless Appeal posted:

To be clear for everyone's memory, the issue was that Bernie championed the endorsement. Not that he didn't shake his finger at Rogan. The issue was that he actively engaged.

There is a strategic reason that he did what he did just like Biden is doing what h'es doing. Joe Rogan isn't a war criminal so what Joe Biden is doing is worse. I don't particularly hold it against Bernie and am more troubled with Biden because I'm not sure if it's a good strategy on top of being gross.

But as someone who was disappointed and concerned by Sanders going on Rogan, I think it's lovely to create a strawman of people crying crocodile tears or erase there being any legitimate concerns at all with Sanders's decision.

If bush endorses Biden and does some joint video thing with Biden are you still going to vote for Biden?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

V. Illych L. posted:

it really shouldn't be an issue for a politician to say that some people aren't very good people imo even if putting percentages to it is the sort of thing a massively egotistical sixteen-year-old would do

this isn't much of a gaffe

Careful, with talk like that you're likely to catch a Trump avatar.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

If bush endorses Biden and does some joint video thing with Biden are you still going to vote for Biden?
Probably because I think that Biden would be a better President. The question seems irrelevant though because I donated and phone banked for Sanders, and would continue to vote for him for President in the general because I thought Sanders would be a better President.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i think we can all agree, in a just society someone like George Bush, and anyone politically associated with him, would all be in prison.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

i think we can all agree, in a just society someone like George Bush, and anyone politically associated with him, would all be in prison.

Totally agree about Bush (although in just society he never would've been in office), but can you define "politically associated" here?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Mellow Seas posted:

Totally agree about Bush (although in just society he never would've been in office), but can you define "politically associated" here?

you know, the people who supported his war crimes directly.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Mellow Seas posted:

This cannot be for loving real.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cpt_Obvious posted:

This cannot be for loving real.

It's a vague term, op. pk's response actually narrowed it down a lot, while still being a little vague.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I just think if you are a person who worked to help Bush commit war crimes, and you continue to associate with him and solicit his political assistance, you should be locked away from civil society. I just don't think we want a society where we have people plotting with fascists to gain power.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Mellow Seas posted:

It's a vague term, op. pk's response actually narrowed it down a lot, while still being a little vague.

What is the goal to the pedantry? Why does their need to be specification? The only point of such queries is to white wash the Bush administration in the hopes that the stink does not spill onto Biden. Like, do you actually believe there is a meaningful distinction to make?

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cpt_Obvious posted:

What is the goal to the pedantry? Why does their need to be specification? The only point of such queries is to white wash the Bush administration in the hopes that the stink does not spill onto Biden. Like, do you actually believe there is a meaningful distinction to make?
I don't know, I just legitimately wanted to know if he thought that like, Margaret Spelling (DOE) or Dirk Kempthorne (DOI) should be in prison, as they are "politically affiliated" with Bush, but had no role in his war crimes (bad policies, sure, not war crimes). I think that would be a bad and dangerous opinion. If we're limiting to people like Powell and Tenet and Rumsfeld then hell yeah, throw 'em in the clink.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Mellow Seas posted:

I don't know, I just legitimately wanted to know if he thought that like, Margaret Spelling (DOE) or Dirk Kempthorne (DOI) should be in prison, as they are "politically affiliated" with Bush, but had no role in his war crimes. I think that would be a bad and dangerous opinion. If we're limiting to people like Powell and Tenet and Rumsfeld then hell yeah, throw 'em in the clink.

Yeah, Powell, Tenet, Rumsfeld, Biden, etc.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Mellow Seas posted:

I don't know, I just legitimately wanted to know if he thought that like, Margaret Spelling (DOE) or Dirk Kempthorne (DOI) should be in prison, as they are "politically affiliated" with Bush, but had no role in his war crimes. I think that would be a bad and dangerous opinion. If we're limiting to people like Powell and Tenet and Rumsfeld then hell yeah, throw 'em in the clink.

No, dude. You are white washing 8 years of horror to protect the symbol of your political identity, Joe Biden. I don't even know if you are doing it on purpose.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cpt_Obvious posted:

No, dude. You are white washing 8 years of horror to protect the symbol of your political identity, Joe Biden. I don't even know if you are doing it on purpose.

Literally what the gently caress are you talking about?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Just to be clear, Joe Biden personally was responsible for which experts were allowed to testify before the senate for the Iraq War Authorization and he chose "experts" who pushed the complete bullshit lie that Iraq and Al-Quaeda were linked. He is as much of a liar and as responsible for the war as anyone in the administration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Just to be clear, Joe Biden personally was responsible for which experts were allowed to testify before the senate for the Iraq War Authorization and he chose "experts" who pushed the complete bullshit lie that Iraq and Al-Quaeda were linked. He is as much of a liar and as responsible for the war as anyone in the administration.
I genuinely appreciate this clarification, because I wasn't terribly politically engaged at the time and I was under the impression you only included Biden because he voted for the war powers resolution. This is a very, very, very good argument that he bears more responsibility for the war than a rank-and-file Senator and should be in prison.