Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What did it matter?
This poll is closed.
The mod squad (FORUM FRIENDS) has edited the poll 11 1.38%
And inserted their good jokes 4 0.50%
While the rest of you laugh 9 1.13%
Bowsette 103 12.88%
347 43.38%
killer comedy option $69,420.69 15 1.88%
big bandicoot baps 311 38.88%
Total: 800 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Took me half the drat night, but I finally have English patched ROMs of Thracia and Genealogy working on my PSP. I'll probably start playing these tonight because why not.

Oh and Wild Arms seems ok I guess. I never played it when it was new and it doesn't seem to have aged well. Legend of Dragoon holds up very well so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Saint Freak posted:

Yeah please keep it related to Games, like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOxkGD8qRB4

unironically slaps

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
K-pop and gaming?

That sounds like Hyungjoon Becomes a Progamer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgO86LH_fco

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Convex posted:

Started playing Mortal Kombat 11 and man I am bad at this. I have no idea how youre supposed to use the block function or figure out how best to hit someone. Also the terminator seems really slow and lethargic, although I guess it is the old Arnie version so has been programmed to age or something
idk about mk11 specifically, but the core of pretty much every fighting game is to hit the other guy when it is safe to do so. "safe" meaning, it being unlikely that they'll hit you in the process or in retaliation. every single technique in fgs comes back to that basic rule at some point, whether you're baiting people out to do things you can take advantage of, or zoning to pressure them in a specific way, or whatever. blocking is also one of those techniques.

the way blocking works in most fgs is that the period of time that players lose control of the characters while performing a move, getting hit by a move, and blocking a move are all different (and vary from move to move). a move that has more recovery frames than it causes in blockstun is "unsafe on block" and as the blocker thats your opportunity to punish and go on the offensive. if you ever hear the term "frame advantage" thats the actual difference in the number of frames of recovery animation vs blockstun, whichever side has advantage on a move has that length of time to act freely. hitstun is always worse than blockstun so very rarely is a move unsafe on hit, meaning if you're going to be hit by a move try to block it and then punish if possible. conversely if you're the attacker, try not to use moves that are unsafe on block if you're in a situation where the other guy is likely to block it

the process of figuring that stuff out is the hard part of fgs, and mostly comes from just observing what people are doing online, reading stuff, and loving around in the training mode until you're comfortable

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Stux posted:

unironically slaps

I usually watch this version because actual dancers and not machinma, slaps real hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaAkvzLSg0s

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

We need to stop K-pop fans in this thread immediately or they'll become a problem like bowsette

Two years from now the poll is just gifs of random K-pop women and men dancing if we don't stop this now

k-pop in the thread - your options are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAKsZ26SabQ

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

eagerly awaiting akiba pop month

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Grapplejack posted:

a problem like bowsette

It's alright, we've finally defeated her with the power of :siren: FISTS :siren:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

congrats on fisting Bowsette, I'm very happy for you

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Infinitum posted:

It's alright, we've finally defeated her with the power of :siren: FISTS :siren:

Only trust your fists.

Bowsette will never help you.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

congrats on fisting Bowsette, I'm very happy for you

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
The most 2020 game

https://store.steampowered.com/app/792120/FIGHT_KNIGHT/

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Saint Freak posted:

Yeah please keep it related to Games, like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOxkGD8qRB4

this owns

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

AceOfFlames posted:

they can call themselves what they want, why can’t I demand to be called ‘Your Highness’?”)

During the first day of my women in film college course, we shared pronouns and preferred names, and a cis dude literally said your majesty and that's what we called him the whole time. He dropped after the first test.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i don't know anything about fighting games but i "beat" street fighter 3's campaign by putting it on the second-lowest difficulty and button-mashing and hopping all over the place. pretty dope game imo

Weedle
May 31, 2006

bushisms.txt posted:

During the first day of my women in film college course, we shared pronouns and preferred names, and a cis dude literally said your majesty and that's what we called him the whole time. He dropped after the first test.

fuckin lol

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Weedle posted:

i don't know anything about fighting games but i "beat" street fighter 3's campaign by putting it on the second-lowest difficulty and button-mashing and hopping all over the place. pretty dope game imo

to win at street fighter...trust your fists.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

to win at street fighter...trust your fists.

i was playing as elena so i mostly trusted my feet

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

homeless snail posted:

idk about mk11 specifically, but the core of pretty much every fighting game is to hit the other guy when it is safe to do so. "safe" meaning, it being unlikely that they'll hit you in the process or in retaliation. every single technique in fgs comes back to that basic rule at some point, whether you're baiting people out to do things you can take advantage of, or zoning to pressure them in a specific way, or whatever. blocking is also one of those techniques.

the way blocking works in most fgs is that the period of time that players lose control of the characters while performing a move, getting hit by a move, and blocking a move are all different (and vary from move to move). a move that has more recovery frames than it causes in blockstun is "unsafe on block" and as the blocker thats your opportunity to punish and go on the offensive. if you ever hear the term "frame advantage" thats the actual difference in the number of frames of recovery animation vs blockstun, whichever side has advantage on a move has that length of time to act freely. hitstun is always worse than blockstun so very rarely is a move unsafe on hit, meaning if you're going to be hit by a move try to block it and then punish if possible. conversely if you're the attacker, try not to use moves that are unsafe on block if you're in a situation where the other guy is likely to block it

the process of figuring that stuff out is the hard part of fgs, and mostly comes from just observing what people are doing online, reading stuff, and loving around in the training mode until you're comfortable

Wow this is great advice, thanks! :)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Noticed that EA is having a sale on Steam, and saw that EA Access is coming to the platform. This would be the first game subscription service for Steam I think? The best news though is that C&C Remaster is available in 2 hours.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Convex posted:

Started playing Mortal Kombat 11 and man I am bad at this. I have no idea how youre supposed to use the block function or figure out how best to hit someone. Also the terminator seems really slow and lethargic, although I guess it is the old Arnie version so has been programmed to age or something

Fighting games be like that. I've played MK11 for an entire year and I still mess up my inputs all the time + lose to dumb poo poo that I should easily beat. The best thing you can do for yourself is find a character whose buttons feel good to you (or a waifu whom you'll protect no matter what) and get familiar with the principles of frame data and safety on block. There are dozens of youtube guides out there that will teach basic concepts, each character's best strings and combos, etc. The nice thing about MK11 is that there's a large enough playerbase on every platform that ranked will still match you with players around your level, even as a total beginner.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
In 2020 I've beaten:
1. Return to Obra Dinn
2. Resident Evil 2 Remake
3. DOOM (2016)
4. Judgement
5. Sleeping Dogs

I will beat, but haven't yet:
1. Final Fantasy X
2. Final Fantasy VI
3. Shadow of the Colossus
4. Mark of the Ninja
5. Control
6. Ace Combat 7
7. Streets of Rage 4
8. Final Fantasy VII Remake

Can't be beaten, but significant time has been invested:
1. Final Fantasy XIV
2. Warframe
3. Gran Turismo: Sport
4. Apex Legends
5. Animal Crossing New Horizons
6. NBA 2k20

Abandoned (not bad, just not going to finish):
1. Mafia III
2. Sniper Elite 4
3. Forager

I started keeping a list this year, and there are a lot of games on the list, including some that I haven't gotten far enough into to make a decision on if I'm going to continue or not!

The Dark Souls of Posters fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jun 5, 2020

Netrunner
Aug 31, 2019

I said come in! posted:

Noticed that EA is having a sale on Steam, and saw that EA Access is coming to the platform. This would be the first game subscription service for Steam I think? The best news though is that C&C Remaster is available in 2 hours.

I'm hoping this means Xbox GamePass can follow suit, because the Xbox app is not ideal.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

drat, it has already been 3 years since the demo

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Fighting games be like that. I've played MK11 for an entire year and I still mess up my inputs all the time + lose to dumb poo poo that I should easily beat. The best thing you can do for yourself is find a character whose buttons feel good to you (or a waifu whom you'll protect no matter what) and get familiar with the principles of frame data and safety on block. There are dozens of youtube guides out there that will teach basic concepts, each character's best strings and combos, etc. The nice thing about MK11 is that there's a large enough playerbase on every platform that ranked will still match you with players around your level, even as a total beginner.

Cool will do, thanks! Only fighting game I ever got good at was Def Jam: Fight for NY but that was in 2004, I doubt I can remember anything about how to play that game now :(

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies
Every K-Pop group I've ever seen looks like they've got an entourage of armed guards that are really there to keep them from escaping.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
sim refinery update

https://twitter.com/itstheshadsy/status/1268755952838348800?s=20

archive.org download

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Why are we on Kpop again?

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

we did it folks, our voices were heard. now people can stop making fun of my "release simrefinery now" sign at the protests

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

it's true

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Cuntellectual posted:

It's-a me, Mario! And I'm here to talk to you about the damaging effects of stereotypes and racism on our society.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Kerrzhe posted:

i need goals put in front of me to keep me motivated or else i'll just stop. the goals ran out, so i stopped. like i could have set a goal to collect every fish and insect and fossil, but that would be spread out over the whole year. what would i do in the meantime, grind bells? for what?

i'm not creative enough to spend my time designing my perfect island, i just dont really care how it looks. i satisfied my meager creative spark with what i did manage to design, so i called the game done.

I hear you, I'm the same way. Sandbox games just don't grab me at all. It's not just a lack of defined goal though, in my opinion, one of the other problems you touched on is that the basic gameplay loop of most sandbox games tends to be intensely boring and rote. I prefer a game that keeps evolving its challenges and has a clear end-point prior to running out of ideas.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I can't find the tweet anymore but some Nintendo employees were saying that Nintendo's double-matching all employee donations to groups like BLM, NAACP LDF, etc. but not publicizing it to avoid making it about their PR. No idea if that's actually true since the one tweet I could find someone link to has been deleted, though.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Harrow posted:

I can't find the tweet anymore but some Nintendo employees were saying that Nintendo's double-matching all employee donations to groups like BLM, NAACP LDF, etc. but not publicizing it to avoid making it about their PR. No idea if that's actually true since the one tweet I could find someone link to has been deleted, though.

It was an employee trying to squelch some anger, since the doubling on donations is a Nintendo company policy that's been in place.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Why are we on Kpop again?
Thin release schedule imo

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

bushisms.txt posted:

It was an employee trying to squelch some anger, since the doubling on donations is a Nintendo company policy that's been in place.

Ah, so it's not anything new. That makes sense.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

bowser says black lives matter
https://twitter.com/JulieZauzmer/status/1268927561012260864?s=20
https://twitter.com/Joyce_Karam/status/1268917324498833412?s=20

Weedle
May 31, 2006

how many people are the dc metro police gonna make bleed on that mural tonight i wonder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Sheetz is a gas station convenience store that over the years has been spreading out into things like fast food and working with local breweries to make special craft beers. They're like Wawa's but with more puns. They're all over the place here in PA.

Sheetz revealed a new kind of beer recently.

Sheetz no

Sheetz stop