Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

You get cheevos for doing the campaign four times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Oxyclean posted:

Power plant needs road connection to stuff you want powered by it.

So I need to make a road connection to the power plant from the Motor Assembly. Thanks.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Just got to the silos in my new game. 1 grain/minute to double an animal farm's output in the Old World. I imagine the ratios will be similar in the New World with corn replacing wheat. So basically you're trading an extra what farm for an animal farm. The ratio doesn't work out so well with sheep but you're saving workers on Pigs and Cows (and beauty on the Pigs as well).

Of course I imagine that trade only gets better when you get mechanized farming up and running and/or get some productivity going.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Alkydere posted:

Just got to the silos in my new game. 1 grain/minute to double an animal farm's output in the Old World. I imagine the ratios will be similar in the New World with corn replacing wheat. So basically you're trading an extra what farm for an animal farm. The ratio doesn't work out so well with sheep but you're saving workers on Pigs and Cows (and beauty on the Pigs as well).

Of course I imagine that trade only gets better when you get mechanized farming up and running and/or get some productivity going.

Yeah I think it's time for calculators again :)

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

What am I doing wrong here? Why doesn't the building have electricity? Also you're supposed to double track somehow to get more trains in an area?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

You need a road from the power station to the other building, now they seem separated by train track.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

They are both on the same road.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Does the power plant have oil? There's a "no supply" icon over the power plant so the first oil delivery likely hasn't arrived.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

looks like you need to complete the rail connection out the back of the factory before it'll be able to process oil

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
The connections look fine to me, it's just that the oil plant's all out of gubbins. Sometimes it takes a while for the harbor to decide to send a train for some reason but as long as there's oil in the harbor and a rail connection from the harbor to the oil plant it will go eventually.

Oh and also if anyone else is wondering if you can use the ubi store promo code from redeeming 100 units to get 20% off the season 2 pass, I just did that and it worked fine.

Gadzuko fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 2, 2020

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Alrighty. I set a victory condition of 1 investor and Wibbly beat me :smith: On easy, no pirates even.
I'll see what I can do with the trains but I am not sure of how they really work. More experimentation is necessary, clearly :)

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Your power plant doesn't have oil, friend.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Mayveena posted:

Alrighty. I set a victory condition of 1 investor and Wibbly beat me :smith: On easy, no pirates even.
I'll see what I can do with the trains but I am not sure of how they really work. More experimentation is necessary, clearly :)

Don’t set victory conditions, they’re either so close you can rush to them without building out much or they’re so far away that you’ll naturally lose interest in a save before you hit them.

Once you have things unlocked and are bulking up your cities for income and such, it really does become much more of a chill factory-and-city-garden builder. It’s why playing with 0 territory-claiming AIs has turned out to be my jam.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Alkydere posted:

I think you're reading that wrong. It's 1 grain per 5 minutes for pig farms/Beef/sheep Farms. Same for fuel for tractors though it takes 15 seconds to turn one barrel of oil into 1 fuel.

Also as far as I can tell that 5 mins is locked in even if you increase regular productivity. So you can have Trade Union boosts and still only need 1 per five mins.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jun 3, 2020

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
These new silos sure like to explode lot.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

One thing I wish I could get from the productivity menu was consumption sources? Like, I can sorta cross reference by looking around but it's not easy to look at my grain, and then see what's using it.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

These new silos sure like to explode lot.
...are silos know to explode? I understand the booze exploding, and I guess some of the heavy manufacturing.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Modern silos can be used to generate electricity through grain fermenting/composting -> heat -> electricity so its possible they blew up back then?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
They can explode because the grain dust becomes aerosolized, which makes it extremely flammable. Add that to the enclosed spaces of a silo, and you've got a bomb.

I've built three silos so far in one play session, and all three have exploded despite a firehouse right next to them.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Oxyclean posted:

One thing I wish I could get from the productivity menu was consumption sources? Like, I can sorta cross reference by looking around but it's not easy to look at my grain, and then see what's using it.

This would make me so happy. Being able to click a product on the production screen and see exactly what it's being used for in a handy little window would be a huge timesaver. You'd be able to see exactly what buildings are using it (and how much) on the island, and how much is being sent off on ships, and their destinations. The destination islands could then differentiate between product produced in situ and product delivered from other islands, it'd make keeping tabs on everything so much easier.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Darkhold posted:

I think you're reading that wrong. It's 1 grain per 5 minutes for pig farms/Beef/sheep Farms. Same for fuel for tractors though it takes 15 seconds to turn one barrel of oil into 1 fuel.

Also as far as I can tell that 5 mins is locked in even if you increase regular productivity. So you can have Trade Union boosts and still only need 1 per five mins.

Really? I didn't get much time playing with them but it looked like it was 1:1 silo to farm with no other modifiers on the production screen.

Oxyclean posted:

...are silos know to explode? I understand the booze exploding, and I guess some of the heavy manufacturing.

Yup, As Bloody Hedgehog mentioned grain silos have a nasty habit of becoming a primitive fuel-air bombs in real life when they're being loaded or unloaded. All it takes is a spark. I'm actually surprised the Anno crew represented it here.

They also have a nasty habit of devouring workers quick-sand style IRL.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Alkydere posted:

Really? I didn't get much time playing with them but it looked like it was 1:1 silo to farm with no other modifiers on the production screen.

Yes it's one silo per farm, but the silo does not consume wheat every time the farm production cycle finishes. It has its own separate 5 minute timer that only consumes one wheat. As long as it gets one wheat per 5 minutes the farm is boosted by 100%

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Silos also cost 0 maintenance. And they look cool.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Is there anyway to reduce chances of explosion outside of having a fire dept in range and space your poo poo out more (lol can't do that)? I don't recall ever seeing an item that reduces explosion changes, just increases it.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Think you just have to live with it.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Gadzuko posted:

Yes it's one silo per farm, but the silo does not consume wheat every time the farm production cycle finishes. It has its own separate 5 minute timer that only consumes one wheat. As long as it gets one wheat per 5 minutes the farm is boosted by 100%

So...it's basically 1 farm:5 silos then? Because wheat farms are 1/minute. Or does the silo load up on 5 wheat when it can?

Edit:
It sounds like it only needs 1 wheat to activate the 5 minute timer but the cart will grab up to 5 wheat at a time to keep it balanced with 1 silo : 1 wheat farm at 100%. Does that sound about right?

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 3, 2020

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Alkydere posted:

So...it's basically 1 farm:5 silos then? Because wheat farms are 1/minute. Or does the silo load up on 5 wheat when it can?

Edit:
It sounds like it only needs 1 wheat to activate the 5 minute timer but the cart will grab up to 5 wheat at a time to keep it balanced with 1 silo : 1 wheat farm at 100%. Does that sound about right?

The silo attaches to one farm. It boosts that farm's production by 100%. It only consumes one wheat every 5 minutes, but it holds a buffer of 5 wheat which would last 25 minutes. You can run 5 silos on 5 different animal farms all boosting their respective farms by 100% off of one wheat farm running at normal capacity.

e: I think this is what you were saying, I'm just restating it.

Gadzuko fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 3, 2020

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Nah what I'm saying is that the farm silo burns anywhere from 0.2 wheat/minute to 1 wheat/minute. I'm just trying to reconcile what I saw with the production screen the other day when I could play with what everyone said. Obviously this spitballing and I can't test this (I have to head to work in about half an hour: not a good time to load up Anno) so my logic might be (and likely is) horribly wrong.

Basically what I'm saying is that I noticed on the production screen and in my goods that 1 wheat farm (1 wheat/minute) was equal to one animal feed silo. What everyone else is saying is they run on a 5 minute timer and only need 1 wheat to kickstart it, which is a consumption of 1/5th or 0.2 a wheat/minute. What this says to me is that the grain silo's cart will load up with 5 wheat if it can but will be just happy with 1-4.

So basically it looks like this:
code:
Excess Wheat/minute Production:        Silos you can support without building more farms:
0.2  (one wheat loaded/5 minutes)           1
0.4  (two wheat loaded/5 minutes)           1
0.6                                         1
0.8                                         1
1.0 (one spare basic wheat farm)            1
1.2 (one wheat farm and a bit)              2
And so on. So basically your silos ad a sort of rounding consumption.

Again this is just how I'm reading it from what I saw and descriptions of other people. I won't really be able to dig in and play until tomorrow afternoon. In a way it makes sense: the game has 1,001 ways shipments can be delayed (transit time for the cart binging in the wheat from the farm, transit time for cart heading to/from warehouse, transit time of the ship carrying wheat dealing with variable winds, carts waiting for slots at the warehouse to load/unload) and they wouldn't want to punish the player for having a system that's overly finicky. By doing this they build a buffer in and keep the players from going crazy in case the cart could only pick up 2-3 wheat instead of the 5 needed.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 3, 2020

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
The silo just burns one wheat per 5 minutes. It's not a variable rate. The production screen will reflect that once it's given time to update.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I mean, they half the required number of pig farms; awkward when your industrial hell island doesn’t have wheat fertility, but if I’m going to start shipping grain around, that also lets me replace shipping Bread to the same island and just bake it there, not to mention if it’s also the Hops island I can just move all brewing over and replace Hops with Beer ~

Glad I started a pretty fresh zero-opponent run before this, going to really sink my teeth into painstaking optimization of my initial Old World Artisans population and then arrange to ship the surplus of everything to Crown Falls before I do too much work over there. I’m going to shoot for absolute minimum non-residential-or-farm land there, I think, and work out how to actually build services into places.

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?
Has anyone else encountered a bug when buying/selling at trading posts? I bought 100 soap from an NPC and only ended up with a single full hold (50), and another time I bought 150 timber and again ended up with only a single full hold. Pretty sure I paid for the missing items, too.

Zadda
Jan 27, 2007

Young Urchin
Yeah I have the same issue, I also saw it posted on the Ubi forums.

Quote from Ubi dev there:

quote:

Hey everyone,

The Dev team is currently investigating this on our end, we hope to resolve this soon! Sorry for the inconvenience caused. As Earl_Faeleon has mentioned, as a workaround for now it's best to purchase in 50tons, I know this is tedious.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I'm not sure how I feel about the DLC. I stopped playing at the arctic when I realized how much of a hassle optimizing the frozen north is for the little payoff. Although airships are really sweet... But I didn't do much with the palace and it feels like all this expansion is is me having to re-organize and optimize farms that I already had built. Like I might as well start over. But then I can't get my sweet 42069 seed because they changed seed generation, so it's a crapshoot. I dunno... Maybe I will get back into it a lot when they release the Land of Lions DLC. Maybe.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Oh man, that feeling when you get your first bit of electricity up and running. Just watching a whole bunch of land and workforce free up. Never gets old.

Even better was I got it from an item so I didn't even need to finish my rail setup.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Anyone for coffee?

I have production at 460% and still need 12 more tons per min.

Edit: also to be clear I took this screenshot before I tidied the roads/railroads/etc.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jun 5, 2020

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Two things this game needs to be perfect.

Let me upgrade all the dirt roads in my city to brick by holding down shift (couldn't we do this in Anno 1404?)

Give me a starting conditions option to enable all tiers of buildings from the start so I can put down the blueprints to plan out all of my island from the beginning instead of having to remember and change around stuff by the time I get Engineers.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Thom12255 posted:

Two things this game needs to be perfect.

Let me upgrade all the dirt roads in my city to brick by holding down shift (couldn't we do this in Anno 1404?)

Give me a starting conditions option to enable all tiers of buildings from the start so I can put down the blueprints to plan out all of my island from the beginning instead of having to remember and change around stuff by the time I get Engineers.
Does u/shift+u work on roads? I always tap ctrl+s and then drag where I want the upgraded roads.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Is there any way to get an early tipoff when you need to increase supply of a certain good? I know you can look at production capacity and see what you're producing vs what the demand is, but it'd be nice to have some sort of an early warning that demand is getting close to outstripping supply. I just hate being elsewhere on the map or in another region, only to suddenly find out you're not making enough of a good, which means people start moving out, and then other goods start dropping off from lack of workers, and it just starts to snowball. All that could be avoided if it would just tell you "Hey, time to start making some more clothes" or whatever.

Also, is there an info panel or something that can show where citizens are being assigned or why they rise and fall? Occasionally I've have lots of citizens, all needs provided for and no unique projects being worked on, an then instantly I'm in the negative for available citizens versus jobs, and then a few minutes later it returns to normal. Did half the city just decide to move out for a few hours, and then though better of it and came back?

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 7, 2020

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Is there any way to get an early tipoff when you need to increase supply of a certain good? I know you can look at production capacity and see what you're producing vs what the demand is, but it'd be nice to have some sort of an early warning that demand is getting close to outstripping supply. I just hate being elsewhere on the map or in another region, only to suddenly find out you're not making enough of a good, which means people start moving out, and then other goods start dropping off from lack of workers, and it just starts to snowball. All that could be avoided if it would just tell you "Hey, time to start making some more clothes" or whatever.

Also, is there an info panel or something that can show where citizens are being assigned or why they rise and fall? Occasionally I've have lots of citizens, all needs provided for and no unique projects being worked on, an then instantly I'm in the negative for available citizens versus jobs, and then a few minutes later it returns to normal. Did half the city just decide to move out for a few hours, and then though better of it and came back?

In general the production and demand bars should give you an idea of when you're close to going over or whatever. Like, say you're producing 3/3 clothes and have a demand of 2/2, and place down a few residents, you'll see the bar change without necessarily going to 3/3. In turn, you should be able to eyeball the bars to see when you're just about to go over your production as well.

(A frequent mistake I made early on was not checking the worker demand for a new building before putting it down, which would cause a snowball as you described.)

For citizen flux: Do you have goods coming by ship? Maybe the supply isn't steady enough so your losing demand for a period? You're not building ships, are you? I (think) that has worker requirements? (That or I attributed it my own worker flux.) Maybe other things might be effecting it like newspaper buffs, disasters, or events?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
No goods coming in by ship, I could understand if I was relying on NPC's to provide goods that supply might drop off leading to citizens being dissatisfied. No ships being built either.

The ships thing is another thing annoys me. There is a need for citizens on ship projects, I just wish it spelled it out more clearly what types of citizens are needed, especially since it doesn't seem to be a steady amount. Starting a ship will drain workers, but then it seems to free some up about two thirds of the way through, and then starts demanding farmers? It's just very unclear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I use this calculator to figure how to set up my chains. The reason either population or income falls is because you are not either meeting a need or meeting happiness requirements.

https://suhrmann.github.io/Anno-1800-Calculator/#/home