Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

axolotl farmer posted:

The NPC quests in DS3 are stupidly fragile. I have never got to see Patched dressed as Siegward in the cathedral because there are so many ways to break that part of the quest.

I didn't see it either until maybe my 3rd playthrough. Now I go out of my way to take the pew elevator after killing the giant just to hear him get pissed off.

I'm playing through Demon's Souls for the first time, and am generally having a great time, but drat does the fixed 4-way roll feel awful after 100%ing DS3 Cinders. So many rolls going the wrong direction, so many stupid deaths. The Tower of Latria is super awesome, taking the cage down to the swamp for the first time was cool as a series veteran, I can only imagine how impressive it would have been in 2009.

Cinders is a fantastic mod that adds a ton of variety for another round. Fully implemented poise, tons of callback items, regenerating FP, RE Mercenaries style farming zones, NG+ being quite different, and a plethora of ways to make the game substantially harder.

BaconCopter fucked around with this message at 10:43 on May 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Got to Gravelord Nito on remastered the other day, and on the first attempt I did a jump attack at him and immediately glitched straight through him to the infinite blackness. Legitimately thought it was something to do with the abyss and you just get sucked into by going to close to him. Realised it wasn't when I'd be falling for over two minutes.

That happen to anyone else? Tried again the next couple of attempts and couldn't replicate it.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

BaconCopter posted:

Cinders is a fantastic mod that adds a ton of variety for another round. Fully implemented poise, tons of callback items, regenerating FP, RE Mercenaries style farming zones, NG+ being quite different, and a plethora of ways to make the game substantially harder.

Okay I'm interested but how much, if any, romhack bullshit is there in it?

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot

multijoe posted:

Okay I'm interested but how much, if any, romhack bullshit is there in it?

I've been playing it myself and there's very little romhack bullshit in it, at least in the latest version. Previously they did things like "replace a bonfire in High Wall of Lothric that was removed with an Ancient Wyvern", but that's since been changed (now there's an Outrider Knight there instead, which is still tough, but it's not Ancient Wyvern tough). I've heard people say that Cinders makes Dark Souls 3 "less of an experience and more of a game" and I think that's accurate.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Simon The Digger posted:

I've been playing it myself and there's very little romhack bullshit in it, at least in the latest version. Previously they did things like "replace a bonfire in High Wall of Lothric that was removed with an Ancient Wyvern", but that's since been changed (now there's an Outrider Knight there instead, which is still tough, but it's not Ancient Wyvern tough). I've heard people say that Cinders makes Dark Souls 3 "less of an experience and more of a game" and I think that's accurate.

Thanks for this. Installed and giving it a whirl now.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

There isn't much romhack bullshit, it's incredibly well done. So much so that I think that it is substantially better than what SoTFS did for DS2.

There are a myriad of ways to increase the difficulty into romhack bullshit territory, from a class that starts with 0 in every stat to a curse which substantially increases the amount of enemies that spawn to a covenant that makes everything substantially tankier.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I really like Cinders, but be aware that balance, at least when I played last year, was really wacky. Casters are super strong and some spells trivialize fights. Some weapons were really bonkers, too. The infusion system also generally decreased build variety (only in terms of stat allocation, actual variety of options when playing is much, much higher), since hybrid and quality builds were mostly pointless. It’s absolutely worth playing, but it also definitely feels like playing a mod.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Yeah I'm playing a sorcerer (figured it would be rude just to run another quality when they've gone to all the effort revamping the magic system) and it's kind of wild having regenerating mana for the farron spells already.

Alsoholy poo poo Corrupted Gundyr

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://twitter.com/ZullieTheWitch/status/1268241426753753089
thinking of busting out cheat engine specifically to use this to become an ancient wizard

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

"How old are you?"
"Oh, you know, Gael years-old."

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Cinders really is the 'all the Soulsborne games come in for a HUGE party' mod huh. Really enjoying it so far, but have a sinking feeling I'm going to have to fight Jester Thomas and probably the rest of those DS2 DLC dickheads before this is done.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

please enjoy my thesis on how the united states is the dark souls of policing
https://twitter.com/jeremoss/status/1266912803144830976

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Cinders mod is good because it lets you use fun moves and has poise.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Can we start a huge poisonous Poise argument?

I think the vanilla DS3 poise mechanic is good and just.

Pertinent image

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Cinders makes DS3 good just by making the poise = 1 change

It also makes some dumb decisions like putting garbage enemies in more places, but guess what? Poisetank the fucks

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't care about poise because I'm naked and rolling 99% of the time

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I don’t care much about poise either, but I still love Cinders. My biggest problem with DS3 is the linearity and distribution of weapons makes most games end up very similar. Cinders completely changes that and gives you tons of different ways to play the game right from the beginning.

Though, when I played, dragon transformation gave you infinite poise, which was completely busted. That with Dancer’s Enchanted Blades blendered all the bosses before they could even really do anything.

Looking now, the mod has added tons of weapons since I played, including some of my favorites, like the Silver Knight Straight Sword, Fume Sword, Blue Flame and Pilgrim’s Spontoon. I’m definitely going to have to do a few more games some time in the future to try them out.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

If I install Cinders and forget to go offline, do I just get banned from DS3 multi on PC or does it like a VAC thing and will gently caress up me playing other games?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

A Sometimes Food posted:

If I install Cinders and forget to go offline, do I just get banned from DS3 multi on PC or does it like a VAC thing and will gently caress up me playing other games?

The mod forces offline by default, although it'll be quicker to boot if you change it to Start Offline in the game settings too

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

multijoe posted:

The mod forces offline by default, although it'll be quicker to boot if you change it to Start Offline in the game settings too

Cool I remember hearing the DS1 mod had some issues with bans so I was curious if the DS3 one was better about it.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

A Sometimes Food posted:

Cool I remember hearing the DS1 mod had some issues with bans so I was curious if the DS3 one was better about it.

You could also use family sharing on Steam to a burner account to be 100% safe

Just make sure you use a seperate safe file! If you go back to reg ds3 with a cinders save you'll get banned.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The only times I really used poise to brute force a boss was Nito and I think I did it on 4 kings too. Unless you have like a shitload of poise, I dunno if you can call it "brute forcing".

I did beat the game one time with Artorias' Greatshield and holy poo poo that trivialized a lot of stuff. I just bounced Gwyn's sword a million times in a row.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Aidan_702 posted:

I think the vanilla DS3 poise mechanic is good and just.

Pertinent image

This is lovely gatekeeping. You were free to play DS1 poiseless and shieldless, but stacking poise and/or blocking were also viable options. People who praise DS3 and BB for taking away those options are dictating how other people should have fun.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
so every game should include poise, or it's funhating garbage?

a game like bloodborne benefits from having more mechanical focus. games don't have to cater to every playstyle, and often are better for not doing so.
I don't know about you but I don't miss estoc havelmoms

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

IronicDongz posted:

so every game should include poise, or it's funhating garbage?

a game like bloodborne benefits from having more mechanical focus. games don't have to cater to every playstyle, and often are better for not doing so.
I don't know about you but I don't miss estoc havelmoms

No, Bloodborne and DS3 are very good games. That doesn't change the fact that people who claim that there was a "right" way to play DS1 and gloat over how BB and DS3 proved them "right" are buttholes.

If we're gonna talk about PvP that's a separate discussion that definitely shouldn't include Bloodborne bexYse nobody PvPs in that game

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I don't like the way that ds3(and ds2 because that's really the origin of this) smoothed out equip weight penalties but I also don't think poise ala ds1 was a good mechanic, it either has little impact or you stack it and the game becomes absolutely braindead and you just r1 into artorias and heal in his face because he can't stop you. it also fucks pvp pretty majorly because if you go up against someone with poise, if you don't also have poise you have to be incredibly passive because they will win every trade no matter what. you can still backstab them because ds1 backstabs are bonkers but that sort of becomes your only option because, speaking of backstabs, if you actually swing at them they can circle and bs you because your hit didn't stagger them.

I also think that the sort of aggressive anti-poise posts online come from an environment of basically years of people online circlejerking over how ds3 ruined poise and ds3 players are casuals who don't understand ds1's more complex mechanics and just press roll button. it doesn't exist in a vacuum

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
I've never fought Artorias with a poise character on ng, only on ng+, and I definitely could not just stand and heal in his face even with full Havel cosplay, I had to block and manage stamina very carefully.

E: this was my first character ever so it's entirely possible I had super low HP which would have made it way harder to tank

I actually really like the way DS3 handled blocking, it's not as nerfed as people say it is -- you can absolutely spend most of your time blocking, but you actually have to use a greatshield and therefore build for it instead of just using a heater shield. I wish they did something similar with poise where you can still be an immovable tank but you had to focus tour build heavily

feelix fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 5, 2020

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

I think the DS1 problem with poise is that you could go full Havel Killdozer and be so slow as to be imperceptible but your weapon speed has no penatlies. You could go ham with a dagger giving your opponent absolutely no room to attack without always losing on a trade. Their only option is to just endlessly circle around you hoping for a backstab or try to poison you to death over a period of several months.

I mean that's still a problem in DS3 but at least you can whip out the big fume and smash them into and through the floor.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

It feels like Poise in DS1 was balanced primarily around PvE, which in turn made it very exploitable in PvP. DS2 and 3 fixed the multiplayer issues to an extent, but their solution also made Poise fairly worthless in single-player.

I don't know if there's a good way out of this conundrum, aside from making Poise work completely differently in PvE and PvP.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

feelix posted:

I've never fought Artorias with a poise character on ng, only on ng+, and I definitely could not just stand and heal in his face even with full Havel cosplay, I had to block and manage stamina very carefully.
NG artorias you can absolutely heal through his attacks and not give a poo poo about blocking or dodging with poise.

Aidan_702 posted:

I mean that's still a problem in DS3 but at least you can whip out the big fume and smash them into and through the floor.
I think that attaching poise to specific attacks is just a really good improvement. having to deal with someone with poise and a fast weapon that has good hitboxes like an estoc or gold tracer is miserable.
in ds3 you can outpoise the other player but you can also actually outspace them and poke them at times they don't have poise active, because you can use a fast weapon against theirs which has to be slow.

a lot of people also seem to still think that poise on armor doesn't affect anything when in reality it serves as defense for your hyperarmor.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

yeah i don't know what everyone's problem with super armor is suddenly when it comes to ds3. it's a mechanic that's used in tons of action games, single or multiplayer, to great effect.

the only real problem with the implementation in DS3 is that it refuses to explain how it works, so people somewhat understandably don't know how it works.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Big Bizness posted:

You could also use family sharing on Steam to a burner account to be 100% safe

Just make sure you use a seperate safe file! If you go back to reg ds3 with a cinders save you'll get banned.

I thought Bamco recently shut down this exact trick in order to (feebly) squash ban-evading hackers.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Amppelix posted:

yeah i don't know what everyone's problem with super armor is suddenly when it comes to ds3. it's a mechanic that's used in tons of action games, single or multiplayer, to great effect.

the only real problem with the implementation in DS3 is that it refuses to explain how it works, so people somewhat understandably don't know how it works.

I don't think poise being ONLY linked to hyperarmor makes logical sense. You shouldn't have to be swinging a heavy weapon for heavy armor to provide more stun resistance than a loincloth.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

John Murdoch posted:

I thought Bamco recently shut down this exact trick in order to (feebly) squash ban-evading hackers.

They reversed it in like mid-May.

Aidan_702 posted:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

feelix posted:

I don't think poise being ONLY linked to hyperarmor makes logical sense. You shouldn't have to be swinging a heavy weapon for heavy armor to provide more stun resistance than a loincloth.
maybe not but it's a sick gameplay mechanic so i don't care

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

feelix posted:

there are a huge amount of things in dark souls souls that don't make sense from a realism perspective that work from a gameplay one

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The only thing I dislike about Dark Souls 3 is that your enemies basically have infinite stamina and can just attack for days.

Also, I think Archdragon peak broke me for the time being. I got a bit annoyed with that Havel armor wearing rear end in a top hat and the even bigger lighting sword rear end in a top hat that just seem to tank hits and swing endlessly. I think I will have to come back to the game later.

There is something different about Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 combat that I can't put my finger on, but they are both "faster paced" but I prefer Bloodborne's for some reason.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

blackguy32 posted:

The only thing I dislike about Dark Souls 3 is that your enemies basically have infinite stamina and can just attack for days.

Also, I think Archdragon peak broke me for the time being. I got a bit annoyed with that Havel armor wearing rear end in a top hat and the even bigger lighting sword rear end in a top hat that just seem to tank hits and swing endlessly. I think I will have to come back to the game later.

There is something different about Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 combat that I can't put my finger on, but they are both "faster paced" but I prefer Bloodborne's for some reason.

Ya there are some cool enemies in DS3 but I don't like fighting the outrider knights or the big dog guy on the bridge cause they just don't seem balanced.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I can understand not liking outrider knights but the crocodogs just rule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

blackguy32 posted:

I think Bloodborne is just more focused. The streamlining of the RPG mechanics allowed them to really polish the moment-to-moment combat. There are way less weapons and only one category of equip burden so they were able to make everything feel really good. Then they brought the same pace of combat to a Dark Souls game with the typical Dark Souls plethora of weapons and spells and armors so the same level of polish was just never gonna happen.