Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
yeah but the idea i could suffer and not remember it was a huge mindfuck at the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i've had it a few times, it's totally fine and cool because they're giving you the really good poo poo (dilaudid + iv benadryl)

unless you come alert during it like the last time i had it, then they hafta get you back under while you're thrashing around because you just woke up to that scene from jacob's ladder

this happened to me when they were putting in a central iv line

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i had an endoscopy done a few years ago under that but then i aspirated so they had to put me under for real to intubate me. the general anesthesia made me ache for like two days. couldn’t even get out of bed at first. felt like the super flu

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

The one time I was under general anesthesia I woke up sobbing and had no idea why. I can only assume the operation went poorly

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i've had it a few times, it's totally fine and cool because they're giving you the really good poo poo (dilaudid + iv benadryl)

unless you come alert during it like the last time i had it, then they hafta get you back under while you're thrashing around because you just woke up to that scene from jacob's ladder

1st gen antihistamines can really give you a proper delirious state. I’ve done it on purpose a couple times and there’s a fine line where it’s “good”, but you really are putting your brain into a state where it’s judgement is poor/wrong but unlike acid you don’t have an aware consciousness to accept that it’s
not real. like you will do hosed up things without the ability to choose not to, a minor example being talking about what you’re doing to nonexistent people without deciding to do so) . if the dose is high well this is people eating their girlfriends heart ala pcp. if the dose is low enough though you can retain at least enough critical mind to question what you’re seeing but it really is a matter of being cognisant that what you perceive is wrong (you get true hallucinations including hearing people talk behind you), rather than it clearly being perceptual disturbances like psychedelics (not counting massive doses of psychedelics)

I really wanted to experiment with either acid or mescaline with small doses of cyclizine to add a psychedelic twisting and expansion of consciousness on top of the brain generating true rubbish. but I’m terrified of too much delirium with psychedelics and DO NOT WANT

on a small dose of cyclizine what was interesting was if I tried to imagine a donut it was much more present in my consciousness much like a day dream can be.

don’t do drugs

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i’m glad i have a wife, a career, a family etc. now because I really like to be hosed up and the aforementioned things mean that i can’t really do that anymore

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I’ll take one for the team

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

It's fun when you get the rear end invader poo poo because you're totally humiliating yourself and then you forget that you humiliated yourself

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

since i'm going to have to teach from home in the fall, and the university claims to be broke and won't do it for me, i bought myself an ultrawide high-gamut 144hz monitor.

this is pretty fuckin' nice i gotta say.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
so can windows push the wider gamut or does it just mean that rgb value of #whatever looks better on yours than mine

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
or is it that 8 bit rgb can only generate certain colours but the graphics card can push higher bit colour values to the monitor that the monitor will display as a wider gamut

I need to know more about colour science

how much it cost big dawg

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

I once had a twelve hour surgery and i remember nothing between the needle for the anesthetic going in at 6 am and waking up strapped to a table with a respirator in the icu for recovery the next morning? Two days later? I have no real timeframe for when I woke up.

Anyway hr keeps asking if we feel safe returning to work and I keep mashing that “Nope” button in the survey. Gonna ride this out till september guaranteed . I see no way for us to go back to the old normal at this point.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Sagebrush posted:

since i'm going to have to teach from home in the fall, and the university claims to be broke and won't do it for me, i bought myself an ultrawide high-gamut 144hz monitor.

this is pretty fuckin' nice i gotta say.

Mind if I ask what brand? I'm looking at getting one in the fall when I upgrade my ancient PC.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
the only thing I remember about being put under for surgery is waking up basically feeling intoxicated

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i drove home after an esophagogastroduodenoscopy once, despite being legally intoxicated for like 18 hours or something

felt totally fine and normal, got in and hung out with my roommates, who later told me that i couldn't remember anything for more than a few minutes and kept repeating myself lol

don't drive after being operated on, it's dumb as hell

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
general anaesthetic is weird. we don’t really know how it works just that it stops consciousness and then consciousness comes back

by itself however, that’s all it does. it doesn’t inherently stop muscle function. you need neuromuscular junction blockers for that. and then you need to intubate the patient as they can’t breathe whatsoever.

you know what’s terrifying? and has certainly happened... neuromuscular junction blockers given but not sufficient general anaesthetic, so they person experiences the surgery, and in fact sees but can’t move eyes or even blink. totally bogus.

now some people get tied up for sexual fetish, you know, like handing over control. wonder if anyone does it with neuromuscular junction blockers

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Anesthesia awareness while paralyzed is supposedly extremely horrifying (compare to sleep paralysis) so I feel like it's not a great thing to add to sex

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
If you want to experiment with what it is like to be fully conscious and aware of your decisions in the moment and then be completely unable to remember anything at all about any of it when you wake up, get blackout drunk, because that is what is happening there.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i drove home after an esophagogastroduodenoscopy once, despite being legally intoxicated for like 18 hours or something

felt totally fine and normal, got in and hung out with my roommates, who later told me that i couldn't remember anything for more than a few minutes and kept repeating myself lol

don't drive after being operated on, it's dumb as hell

The Human Tesla :o:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Stereotype posted:

If you want to experiment with what it is like to be fully conscious and aware of your decisions in the moment and then be completely unable to remember anything at all about any of it when you wake up, get blackout drunk, because that is what is happening there.

drunkenness is a weird consciousness ...

but regardless if you’ve ever hosed around with benzos and then drunk then you’ll know what true blackout means. at least with drinking someone could say “hey remember when you did X”, and you’ll be “oh yeah”, but if you’d taken clonazepam earlier in the day and then the next weekend someone messages you from Facebook and you have no idea who it was and then they start talking about meeting you at the bar and you still have no idea and then turns out you chatted for hours and met their boyfriend and discussed all sorts of things and you still have no idea if this is real or not..

it’s actually quite scary the difference, because no matter how hard you try you just
cannot remember anything after about drink 2. but much like the movie the hangover you’re quite capable and not passed out at all. even tho I didn’t do anything I deeply regret in the time it happened (as far as I know) I do deeply regret doing it because of how terrified I was the next knowing how much into the unknown I’d put myself. fffck

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I told you not to do drugs

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i'm pretty sure my last girlfriend wasn't aware of significant portions of our relationship with her constant mixing of booze, weed, and xanax.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Sagebrush posted:

and the university claims to be broke

just got our 'austerity will be enforced on the staff' email yesterday :(

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

graph posted:

b-b-b-but trump says the number went up. the economy is fine now. fake news.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I've had a multiple major/minor surgeries and had bad reactions to anesthesia a couple of times that caused me to experience tachycardia

did you know getting defibbed while you're awake hurts like hell? because it hurts like hell

graph posted:

Our arch-conservative dickhead university president is so happy about this plague because it has given him an excuse to basically get down to ripping the copper wiring out of the walls.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

echinopsis posted:

or is it that 8 bit rgb can only generate certain colours but the graphics card can push higher bit colour values to the monitor that the monitor will display as a wider gamut

I need to know more about colour science

how much it cost big dawg

idk how it works exactly. the monitor supports 10 bit color and if the application and content you're using also support it, the monitor will display those extra colors.

it has a "lock to srgb" mode which prevents it from using the extra gamut, and it looks noticeably dull in comparison. but e.g. my desktop background is not a wide-gamut image and it looks brighter in full gamut mode. so i suspect that if you have the correct toolchain set up (like viewing a 16-bit image in photoshop) then you'll get actual accurate 10 bit color -- including showing 8 bit images as intended -- but if you don't, and it's just youtube or a video game or whatever, it's probably expanding the input to the wider gamut to make the colors pop.

it could also be that technology has just really advanced since the 2011 dell ultrasharp that i use in my office at school. it was a really high quality display at the time but man this is way better.

either way it looks great and it came with a calibration report from the factory but i might borrow the school's colorimeter to get it tuned up real nice.

i didn't think i needed the high refresh rate but man it would have been a mistake to not get it. it is so smoooooooooooth.

it is a 900 dollar LG 34GK950F but i got it for 750 open box on ebay.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 5, 2020

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
finally u can watch all ur anime mkvs in stunning 10 bit glory

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Cold on a Cob posted:

b-b-b-but trump says the number went up. the economy is fine now. fake news.

shortfall this semester is estimated to be 20mil. projected fy 21 is 70 million. the endowment is a couple loving billion dollars

they told us that p much no one is going to be working full time ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

what does “austerity” mean in this case? furloughs? hiring freeze?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Fabricated posted:

I've had a multiple major/minor surgeries and had bad reactions to anesthesia a couple of times that caused me to experience tachycardia

did you know getting defibbed while you're awake hurts like hell? because it hurts like hell

every post itt on this topic has convinced me to just never have surgery because goddamn

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

graph posted:

shortfall this semester is estimated to be 20mil. projected fy 21 is 70 million. the endowment is a couple loving billion dollars

they told us that p much no one is going to be working full time ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ours has been constructing multiple massively expensive new buildings, and the president got a 50% raise a few months before the virus, but i wouldn't be surprised if the staff took on the burden

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

President Beep posted:

it means the overpaid leadership and their close friends keep their jobs and enormous paychecks, everyone else gets hosed

i dont work in higher ed this is just a guess

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

well duh!!!

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

President Beep posted:

yes

salary freeze. ""convenience leave"" unpaid leave

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
We're getting the neuromancer future we never wanted, cool

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

more snow crash minus the street

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

ive never read a neuromancer

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

fart simpson posted:

ive never read a neuromancer

same but i keep meaning to

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

carry on then posted:

every post itt on this topic has convinced me to just never have surgery because goddamn
surgery is easy, they put you to sleep and you either wake up or you don't

recovery is what sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

graph posted:

yes

salary freeze. ""convenience leave"" unpaid leave

that sucks, sorry. my buddy at dell said they've instituted

- zero 401k match
- no raises, bonuses, or promotions

indefinitely. i assume they're trying to accelerate attrition to avoid layoffs.