Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The first isekai

yep lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like the actors who play the Salamanca Cousins in Breaking Bad, because they aren't completely stoic all the time - they have some microexpressions on top of that that humanise them a bit, like when surveying a messy aftermath one of them has a look of "poo poo... this was bad" on his face, it's just a slight opening of the mouth and raising of the eyebrows, but it conveys that they do care that someone on their side has got seriously hurt.

An example from Better Call Saul, after an intense situation, A shootout with a rival gang in season 4:

You can see that the twin pictured is trying to remain composed, but there are signs of adrenaline - in motion he is breathing heavily, but also there's a mild kind of stress in how his face is held that often is just a totally blank stare. He knows that he could have died and that's shaken him, although he hides it well due to being professional/well broken by his uncle. Also he's having a shared glance at his colleague, a silent shared "Welp, that was close..." while normally he barely even acknowledges his actual brother (not pictured).

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 20:27 on May 26, 2020

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I actually don't mind the twins one bit, especially after you realize that Hector raised them and they're hosed up because of that.

The flashback to when he almost drowns one of them is enough to make me buy their unwavering malevolence.

I mean, that was probably one event in a sea of similar lessons he likely gave them. :stare:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

BioEnchanted posted:

I like the actors who play the Salamanca Cousins in Breaking Bad, because they aren't completely stoic all the time - they have some microexpressions on top of that that humanise them a bit, like when surveying a messy aftermath one of them has a look of "poo poo... this was bad" on his face, it's just a slight opening of the mouth and raising of the eyebrows, but it conveys that they do care that someone on their side has got seriously hurt.

An example from Better Call Saul, after an intense situation, A shootout with a rival gang in season 4:

You can see that the twin pictured is trying to remain composed, but there are signs of adrenaline - in motion he is breathing heavily, but also there's a mild kind of stress in how his face is held that often is just a totally blank stare. He knows that he could have died and that's shaken him, although he hides it well due to being professional/well broken by his uncle. Also he's having a shared glance at his colleague, a silent shared "Welp, that was close..." while normally he barely even acknowledges his actual brother (not pictured).

A good post

they came across as scary terminators at first but

I'm waiting for the scene that humanizes them a bit more than adrenaline rush, all killed out but I see what you mean

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I appreciate moments where even ruthless killers display normal motivations. Like in Desperado when Cheech the bartender mentions he could really use that extra money for his mortgage, so let's kill that other guy instead of splitting the take 3 ways.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something else I like in Better Call Saul is the relationship between Jimmy/Saul and Kim - it's not as simple as dirty lawyer/straight lawyer - Kim acts as Saul's conscience, but also sometimes she enlists his help if she needs to play dirty like with the land grab situation for the call centre, in which he actually advises her against going further than she's comfortable with and she's the one who wants to plough ahead even though it's going to get ugly and personal for her employer. She's more moral/ethical than he is, but it's still flexible.

I also like that the film students are more than just tools for Jimmy to use, they seem silly but are very good at their jobs.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 19:51 on May 28, 2020

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

That's a nice touch.

The bandanna in Three is made from Doc's shirt from Two

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

In John wick 2 the guy who played the devil in Constantine who scared John Constantine is now scared of John wick who played John Constantine in Constantine. A nice little reversal of who is the devil. Also the guy is actually more scared of John wick in John wick 2 than John Constantine was scared of the devil in Constantine.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
WITH A FUCKINK PENSAL!

(I loves me some Peter stormare)

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Memento posted:

That's a nice touch.

The bandanna in Three is made from Doc's shirt from Two

Also the print on the shirt appears to be trains.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
I can't decide whether this is a subtle movie moment, or just me giving the scriptwriters too much credit.

Near the start of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, after Ron and his twin brothers rescue Harry from his uncle and they arrive at the Weasley house, they all sit down to eat and Arthur Weasley comes in and sits down next to Harry, where they have this exchange:

quote:

Arthur: "And who are you?"
Harry: "Sorry, sir. I'm Harry, sir. Harry Potter."
Arthur: "Good Lord. Are you really?"

Bit of foreshadowing, perhaps - as Harry (depending on how you look at it) ends up as a "Good Lord" when compared to Voldemort's "Dark Lord."

I mean, "Good Lord" is a common exclamation, especially in the UK - but there's also a million different ways that he could have said the same thing, so I dunno.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

GazChap posted:

I can't decide whether this is a subtle movie moment, or just me giving the scriptwriters too much credit.

Near the start of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, after Ron and his twin brothers rescue Harry from his uncle and they arrive at the Weasley house, they all sit down to eat and Arthur Weasley comes in and sits down next to Harry, where they have this exchange:

Bit of foreshadowing, perhaps - as Harry (depending on how you look at it) ends up as a "Good Lord" when compared to Voldemort's "Dark Lord."

I mean, "Good Lord" is a common exclamation, especially in the UK - but there's also a million different ways that he could have said the same thing, so I dunno.

Sorry I think this is all in your head

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is that a troll post I’m so confused

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Harry Potter becomes God by the end of the series?

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

The theory is disproven by Harry becoming a magical cop at the end.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

GazChap posted:

More importantly - it's an extremely Muggle thing to say, instead of some convoluted wizard swear, because Arthur bloody loves everything Muggle.

(I have not done a comprehensive analysis of all swears in the books, so maybe other wizards use it too)

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Nostradingus posted:

Sorry I think this is all in your head

I have a friend who does this (invents meaning and draws inferences erroneously) a lot, and it drives me nuts.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Torquemada posted:

I have a friend who does this (invents meaning and draws inferences erroneously) a lot, and it drives me nuts.

You're friends with SuperMechaGodzilla?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Eh! Frank posted:

You're friends with SuperMechaGodzilla?

Less political theory edgelord more handwringing country posh bloke.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

More importantly - it's an extremely Muggle thing to say, instead of some convoluted wizard swear, because Arthur bloody loves everything Muggle.

(I have not done a comprehensive analysis of all swears in the books, so maybe other wizards use it too)

Yeah, this is what came to my mind, too.I feel like the only other exclamations like that in the series are from followers of Voldemort, who use his name for that sort of thing.

I'm also not going to go and check, because gently caress J.K. Rowling, but given Arthur's a muggle-weeaboo it's make complete sense.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Just rewatched Knives Out and noticed something that I didn't notice when I saw it in the theater. There's a running gag where all of the rich white family members keep thinking that the Hispanic main character is from a different country. One thinks she's from Uruguay, one thing she's from Ecuador, etc. The last person to offhandly mention what country she's from says that she's Brazilian, which is, of course, not even a Spanish speaking country.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's not quite a dense as Hot Fuzz, but there are a wealth of subtle things in Knives Out. For example, the portrait of Harlan seen throughout the movie changes the last time we see it so he's smirking, after Marta and Blanc solve the crime, or how near the beginning Harlan tells Marta that Ransom couldn't tell a prop knife from the real thing, and then at the end he tries to kill Marta with a prop knife.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Baron von Eevl posted:

It's not quite a dense as Hot Fuzz, but there are a wealth of subtle things in Knives Out. For example, the portrait of Harlan seen throughout the movie changes the last time we see it so he's smirking, after Marta and Blanc solve the crime

Ladykillers did this gag a few times, too.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Baron von Eevl posted:

It's not quite a dense as Hot Fuzz, but there are a wealth of subtle things in Knives Out. For example, the portrait of Harlan seen throughout the movie changes the last time we see it so he's smirking, after Marta and Blanc solve the crime, or how near the beginning Harlan tells Marta that Ransom couldn't tell a prop knife from the real thing, and then at the end he tries to kill Marta with a prop knife.

Sorry To Bother You does this in an unsubtle, but still v good, way

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

A similar joke also appears in Mousehunt, the portrait doesn't physically change, but the expression reads differently based on the circumstance.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
My favorite little thing in Knives Out is when Blanc first meets Marta, he does indeed look straight down at her shoes.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Knives Out is real fuckin good.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Baron von Eevl posted:

there's a vfx breakdown i'm completely unable to find right now that explains that they were able to do that b/c the portrait was actually green screened in every time it was shown, which I didn't expect at all

I did find this, though https://twitter.com/steveyedlin/status/1203374805719736320

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, the painting wasn't done when they had to shoot which is lol

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Rian Jonson talks about the green portrait in this video.

https://youtu.be/69GjaVWeGQM

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Just saw Knives Out for the first time like a week ago and wouldn’t be upset if this just turned into a Knives Out thread.

Does anyone know the significance of the timing of when Benoit plays notes on the piano in the beginning? I couldn’t understand it at the time but that seems like it wouldn’t be random on a rewatch.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Promoted Pawn posted:

Just saw Knives Out for the first time like a week ago and wouldn’t be upset if this just turned into a Knives Out thread.

Does anyone know the significance of the timing of when Benoit plays notes on the piano in the beginning? I couldn’t understand it at the time but that seems like it wouldn’t be random on a rewatch.

imdb posted:

When Benoit Blanc is first seen by the audience, he is sitting in the study listening to Lieutenant Elliot question the Thrombey family members, playing the same note on the piano at seemingly random intervals. This was not random at all; after Blanc hits the piano key Lieutenant Elliot always asks the same question; "What time did you arrive at the house?" The piano key was Blanc's signal to Elliot to ask the question.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'd noticed that correlation, but forgotten about it after watching the movie.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, it was just his reminder to ask the question. Apparently it was originally scripted with him tapping the back of the Lieutenant's chair with his foot, but they got in the space and the piano seemed to work better.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

I'm rewatching Seinfeld and I really appreciate little touches that most sitcoms don't bother with. For example, the characters actually look at each other and respond with facial expressions, even if they aren't being centered on. Like, a woman is bothering Jerry and that's the center of the shot, but if you look at Elaine to the side she'll have this big poo poo-eating grin because watching she thinks it's hilarious watching Jerry squirm. Characters who aren't speaking are still active in the scene. Or they'll laugh at jokes or look at the speaker even in the background.

Another example on that note, and what made it feel "realistic" to people, are moments like when they're looking for Kramer's car in the parking garage. In one scene you have George having a conversation but nobody is listening to him, Jerry and Elaine walking ahead having their own conversation, and Kramer ahead of them, ignoring everyone and just craning his neck looking for the car and fighting not to drop a heavy box he's holding. Everyone is doing their own thing and nobody is looking at the camera. It just works so well and you don't see that in modern sitcoms.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
It hasn't aged well but that was a good quality of How I Met Your Mother-- when someone says something funny the others laugh and act like they enjoy each other's company, in contrast with how the Friends act.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Mike Meyers uses the same Scottish voice as Fat Bastard in the Austin Powers series as well as the ogre shrek and the father in so I married an ax murderer

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

oldpainless posted:

Mike Meyers uses the same Scottish voice as Fat Bastard in the Austin Powers series as well as the ogre shrek and the father in so I married an ax murderer

He also uses it in Cat in the Hat and the Love Guru and a bunch of SNL sketches. When I saw him pop up in Inglourious Basterds I was convinced he would open his mouth and that goddamn accent would once again fall out of his stupid loving head.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

oldpainless posted:

Mike Myers is a lovely hack who only knows how to make a “joke” that consists of stereotypes about a region, race, or nationality. It’s almost all he’s ever done, even during Saturday Night Live

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

freeedr posted:

Mike Myers is a lovely hack who only knows how to make a “joke” that consists of stereotypes about a region, race, or nationality. It’s almost all he’s ever done, even during Saturday Night Live

Don't you dare besmirch Wayne's World.