Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Fuligin posted:

I was gonna go downtown today in seattle but looks like blm and dsa are at odds and its pouring rain so i guess not

What's the dispute about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Fuligin posted:

I was gonna go downtown today in seattle but looks like blm and dsa are at odds and its pouring rain so i guess not

What's the conflict?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
The king county BLM page is telling people not to protest?

But I also looked at the owners of the facebook page and they kind of look like west wing watchers.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

It seems like Seattle is being pretty quiet compared to PDX much less the rest of the country.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

silicone thrills posted:

But I also looked at the owners of the facebook page and they kind of look like west wing watchers.

yeah I dunno what to make of things

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Jack2142 posted:

It seems like Seattle is being pretty quiet compared to PDX much less the rest of the country.

I have to assume that's because of their experience with Covid-19. I doubt they want to extend quarantine even longer with a huge case bump from protesting.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Jack2142 posted:

Lol, nope. Crossposting from the Seattle thread:

Mystery individuals with ARs at Westlake Park. Seems to be different groups, one just yanked the rifle right from another's hands and scared him away.

Cars on fire outside Nordstrom's and risking setting the whole building on fire. Small building fire nearby in a 20+ story building.

5 PM curfew issued.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

silicone thrills posted:

Where are you seeing that they're telling people not to protest?

Assuming this is the BLM organization you're talking about, they say they won't be putting their own action together or directly encouraging people to go out, but they're not telling people to stay in - and they're sending money to bail funds in other cities.

but hey, they look like they watch the wrong tv show, so those Black people trying to make a difficult decision about protesting injustice in the face of a pandemic are just ignorable shitlibs or something, I guess

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Cugel the Clever posted:

Lol, nope. Crossposting from the Seattle thread:

Mystery individuals with ARs at Westlake Park. Seems to be different groups, one just yanked the rifle right from another's hands and scared him away.

Cars on fire outside Nordstrom's and risking setting the whole building on fire. Small building fire nearby in a 20+ story building.

5 PM curfew issued.

drat things turned dramatically in the last hour.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
The police macing that kid definitely pissed alot of folks off.

Also Re: I've protested with BLM for years but i've never seen such a milquetoast response from any of the various groups which I find extremely weird, thats all.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 31, 2020

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

If you are white I would be wary of criticizing the way a black group is planning to protest or not...

Anyone have resources on national bail or legal defense funds for these protesters? I have young kids and can't in good conscience go a-rioting due to the consequences for them if something happened to me, especially during the pandemic. My wife and I also feel like we need to contribute in some way, and our 10 year old has already asked what our family is doing about this injustice. Money is kind of what we are able to do right now. My daughter is already counting her piggy bank. Our 5 year old said he would donate 2 pennies and also build a robot that would kill the cops in Minneapolis. I'm not sure if I should encourage my son to build murderbots.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I feel like I should provide the context that over the years many blm Facebook pages have come and gone. People created fake ones for a while. It was a tactic to gently caress with protesters so when a blm Facebook is different than normal it sets off red flags. I dropped off Facebook completely for a while and the Seattle area blm page I followed before is completely gone. Also the leaders and such are all different. It weirded me out.
Facebook is pretty hosed up alot and being sus about various pages suddenly changing doesn't seem unreasonable.
Just for a direct example a fake women's March page got like 20k followers before it was removed and the messaging was sublty different.
Anyway this is probably more on me just being paranoid and off Facebook for a while. My bad.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jun 1, 2020

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

therobit posted:

If you are white I would be wary of criticizing the way a black group is planning to protest or not...

Anyone have resources on national bail or legal defense funds for these protesters? I have young kids and can't in good conscience go a-rioting due to the consequences for them if something happened to me, especially during the pandemic. My wife and I also feel like we need to contribute in some way, and our 10 year old has already asked what our family is doing about this injustice. Money is kind of what we are able to do right now. My daughter is already counting her piggy bank. Our 5 year old said he would donate 2 pennies and also build a robot that would kill the cops in Minneapolis. I'm not sure if I should encourage my son to build murderbots.

National Lawyer's Guild hotline was dropped a lot tonight in PDX, or you could just donate to the bail fund for your city. Gofundme campaigns are everywhere for this.

Lego murderbots are fine.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

therobit posted:

The problem with murderbots is that eventually the military-industrial complex will take them and use them for evil, even if initially they were designed for good.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

therobit posted:

There's a stickied thread in CSPAM that has the information you want. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3925100

So I went to the march that started in Laurelhurst Park and ended at the justice center and if my phone is to be believed I walked a good 12 miles between 5ish and 11pm when I got home. I had to leave early because my partner started feeling physically ill and so I wasn't there when the teargas came out, but I can say that was an incredibly calm crowd and I can't imagine it was anything other than PPB getting bored and deciding to escalate things. Not sure what we accomplished I guess but it was definitely better than Saturday night when they attacked early and pretty much stopped anything from happening.

Anyway, coming down Broadway a car got impatient and forced its way from a sidestreet into the crowd. Pretty dangerous. Honking and clearly trying to get through not hit anyone but people obviously super tense. A guy near me threw a soda can and managed to hit the dude right in his face. Stopped for a moment, looked pissed, and drove off further through the crowd but fortunately nobody got his and he got out of the crowd half a block down. Got some pictures as he sped away on the overpass but not much to do with them. Anyway, that's my book report hope you enjoyed.

HashtagGirlboss fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 1, 2020

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I was at the protest in PDX last night at the justice center but left early due to previous experience with getting stuck on the east side from staying late. I left a little after 8 when the smoke bombs started coming out to push people back into the park.

What's a good way to stay in touch with what's going on? I'm not done protesting but feel like I don't know where to find info on what's going on these days.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

therobit posted:

This is the main bail fund folks are fundraising for in Seattle: https://blacklivesseattle.org/bail-fund

There's also this link which collects national money then spreads it out to individual local bail funds across the country: https://secure.actblue.com/donate/bail_funds_george_floyd

There are other links floating out there to Gofundmes and so forth but TBH I'm a little worried about scammers hoping to get fundraise off a crisis then not actually spend the money on people who need the help - I'm sure some of them are for real but I don't really have any way of knowing unless I know someone personally involved. I am only contributing to this Seattle one because I know it's legit.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Thanks all. Do y'all think the bail fund is better than a legal defense fund?

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Anyone know of good, well sourced articles on the PPD being a bunch of shitheads? People at work are actually listening about this stuff and so many have always been passively on the side of the police unaware of their abuse and it would be nice to have good evidence to back up my point. I did some quick googling and couldn't find anything.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Anyone know of good, well sourced articles on the PPD being a bunch of shitheads? People at work are actually listening about this stuff and so many have always been passively on the side of the police unaware of their abuse and it would be nice to have good evidence to back up my point. I did some quick googling and couldn't find anything.

https://www.oregonlive.com/crime/20...r-a-friend.html

mweb
Mar 14, 2019
:five: :nsamad:

Eviction moratorium in Washington State extended until August 1

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Seattle protesters are getting real hong kong with this umbrella poo poo. Glad to see more aggressive organization coming down the pike, I knew Seattle would be getting hardcore sooner or later. We're all gonna need get serious about equipment like umbrellas, laser pointers, hardhats, etc.

Good on Seattle, I loving love you guys. Stay safe!

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Seattle protesters are getting real hong kong with this umbrella poo poo. Glad to see more aggressive organization coming down the pike, I knew Seattle would be getting hardcore sooner or later. We're all gonna need get serious about equipment like umbrellas, laser pointers, hardhats, etc.

Good on Seattle, I loving love you guys. Stay safe!

Had to duck out of the Oly protest tonight before it popped off because the boatyard I'm staying in has curfew. Definitely the most first-timers I've seen at a downtown action in years, gonna be interesting.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Crumbskull posted:

Had to duck out of the Oly protest tonight before it popped off because the boatyard I'm staying in has curfew. Definitely the most first-timers I've seen at a downtown action in years, gonna be interesting.

https://twitter.com/OlympiaJoe/status/1268028410527232001

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil
Wierd to see myself on video doing something I was just doing. Bummed I couldn't stay out but looks like all my pals are enjoying themselves. Haven't heard any bangs yet.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BLM just disavowed having had any liaisons or meetings with King County officials, and that anyone who claimed to represent BLM in meetings with the officials do not in fact represent BLM.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

BLM just disavowed having had any liaisons or meetings with King County officials, and that anyone who claimed to represent BLM in meetings with the officials do not in fact represent BLM.

I went down to the protest in Cap Hill and there was someone with a megaphone yelling at the two people that were on stage with Durkan basically saying their tactics were leading them right to police arrests. The protest was on the south side of Cal Anderson and the woman who spoke with Durkan kept telling everyone to go to the north side for some reason.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
At Cal Anderson police line 4-7ish a couple people kept coming up and telling us the cops weren't the enemy and we were inciting them to attack. Bunch of bullshit. Lot of saying antifa was going to start poo poo and we have to vote. That part of the protest wasn't having it at least.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
The PDX protests may be hosed as well. I don't know who was organizing, but big cop energy. Asking for us to 'leave a name and number if you want to speak next time' and to 'pull your mask down so we know who is out here fighting for us'. Either they are painfully naive (note that I am brand new and know these are not what you do) and innocent, painfully naive and collaborators who think they are doing the right thing, or full on cop plants. I don't know anyone (again, new) but rumblings on Twitter is that no one from PDX blm established players know any of these people.

We marched chanting no justice, no peace but when the police started gassing protestors down the street we held our hands in the air and switched to 'peace-ful pro-test'. I do not understand how you march miles for justice but put your head down and stay in the box the police have you when you have injustice just down the street.

To a crowd of thousands who marched in the middle of a pandemic they told us the most important thing to do was vote. I was not aware I could vote to abolish the police, but apparently we like the police, we just need black queer knees crushing a more representitive sample of necks instead of white knees crushing black bodies.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

The PDX protests may be hosed as well. I don't know who was organizing, but big cop energy. Asking for us to 'leave a name and number if you want to speak next time' and to 'pull your mask down so we know who is out here fighting for us'. Either they are painfully naive (note that I am brand new and know these are not what you do) and innocent, painfully naive and collaborators who think they are doing the right thing, or full on cop plants. I don't know anyone (again, new) but rumblings on Twitter is that no one from PDX blm established players know any of these people.

We marched chanting no justice, no peace but when the police started gassing protestors down the street we held our hands in the air and switched to 'peace-ful pro-test'. I do not understand how you march miles for justice but put your head down and stay in the box the police have you when you have injustice just down the street.

To a crowd of thousands who marched in the middle of a pandemic they told us the most important thing to do was vote. I was not aware I could vote to abolish the police, but apparently we like the police, we just need black queer knees crushing a more representitive sample of necks instead of white knees crushing black bodies.

It's not hosed, it was a dramatic upswing from the previous night. These things are going to ebb and flow as the cop tactics become more sophisticated with outside help. Our advantage? Every state is protesting.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

hate this fucker

https://twitter.com/HCTrudo/status/1268629614445895683

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

gently caress I was just coming to post this, Tim Eyman continues to be the biggest piece of poo poo ever manufactured

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Cross-posting from the Oregoons thread:

wizzardstaff posted:

Multnomah County goons, if you haven't completely thrown up your hands in despair at electoral politics there's a campaign I'd like to direct your attention toward. Universal Preschool Now is a ballot initiative to fund preschool tuition for everyone--no means testing--and guarantee an $18/hr minimum wage for childcare workers, paid for by taxing the rich.

During a pandemic you can't really stand on the street corner or walk up and down the MAX to get people to sign, but the law still requires ink on paper and won't accept digital signatures. But you can still sign from home! Go to the link below to print out a form which you can mail back or return to a drop box. If you don't have a printer then they'll mail a form to you.

Due to legal fuckery from the Portland Business Alliance, the window to qualify for the ballot is extremely short--all signatures must be received by the end of June. So please sign now and tell all your friends.

https://upnow2020.org/sign

Someone in that thread wanted to know what "taxing the rich" really means; in this case it's a 3.9% marginal tax on incomes over $165k. Full details of the plan are here: https://upnow2020.org/plan

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

more and more people are saying this!

jenny gotta go

https://twitter.com/CitationsPod/status/1268947460342386691

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Durkan is terrible but man I look at DeBlasio and NYC and it’s jaw dropping. Worse cop sycophanthy than Durkan, all while their union has publicly insulted him for years.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I'm starting to think that many mayors can't actually tell their police what to do, and don't want to reveal that fact by trying. (Durkan also doesn't disagree with the police enough to care, don't get me wrong)

I mean, DeBlasio is scum, but I bet if he suddenly had a change of heart and instructed the NYPD to reign it in, he'd be found dead by morning.

It was painstaking to get Durkan to promise to eventually have the SPD stop covering their badge numbers. And the day after she said that, they started also covering their names.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 5, 2020

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Don't the NYPD still have de Blasio's daughter?

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

I’m sure every city is different but I bet a lot mayors’ voting (and financial) support largely comes from older, whiter, homeowners. Even if the cops are driving them nuts right now, they fear their political futures are dead in the water if they go anywhere near “abolish the police” or even “defund the police” and get attacked for it by another candidate in the center-right.

This is why you should still vote in November, however futile it sometimes feels. Yes, dem control doesn’t fix policing by itself but surely anyone can see the gulf between Durkan and Nikkita Oliver, who was literally on the ballot last cycle. If the left doesn’t have the numbers to get sympathetic people into some executive offices, they don’t have the numbers to bend unsympathic ears beyond minimal appeasement.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Eggnogium posted:

I’m sure every city is different but I bet a lot mayors’ voting (and financial) support largely comes from older, whiter, homeowners. Even if the cops are driving them nuts right now, they fear their political futures are dead in the water if they go anywhere near “abolish the police” or even “defund the police” and get attacked for it by another candidate in the center-right.

This is why you should still vote in November, however futile it sometimes feels. Yes, dem control doesn’t fix policing by itself but surely anyone can see the gulf between Durkan and Nikkita Oliver, who was literally on the ballot last cycle. If the left doesn’t have the numbers to get sympathetic people into some executive offices, they don’t have the numbers to bend unsympathic ears beyond minimal appeasement.

The real issue is that Jenny Durkhan is ostensibly a "progressive" Democrat. First gay U.S. attorney, appointed by Barak Obama. People buy that poo poo.

And then The Stranger endorses Cary Moon and ruins it for all of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Thanatosian posted:

The real issue is that Jenny Durkhan is ostensibly a "progressive" Democrat. First gay U.S. attorney, appointed by Barak Obama. People buy that poo poo.

And then The Stranger endorses Cary Moon and ruins it for all of us.

I mean that seems like a semantic argument. Looking at the spectrum of candidates from 2017 you can’t really argue she was on the left half. White NIMBYs didn’t vote for her because she was a breaker of glass ceilings, they voted for her because she would do whatever possible to make sure they could continue to pay low taxes, drive everywhere, and not have to look at homeless (or black) people too much. And cops are key to delivering on that last promise. The Obama-appointed, gay attorney thing is just a cover story for public comments and mixed company.