Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Poorly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be the AI handles everyone who isn’t Reyn poorly

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Deified Data posted:

Melia seems pretty good albeit kinda boring to control. How does the AI handle her?

Poorly.

Edit: drat, beaten to the punch.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I had forgotten exactly how good the comic relief character is.

What did we do to deserve the noble and mighty heropon?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Deified Data posted:

Melia seems pretty good albeit kinda boring to control. How does the AI handle her?

It tends to summon three different elements and occasionally discharge the last one summoned, which is perhaps less efficient than, say, summoning two Thunders and then cycling the third element, or tripling up on Flare and standing next to Dunban

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Wait do the aura bonuses from elements stack with themselves??

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah I've been using a summon then casting it and moving to a different one....

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Omobono posted:

I had forgotten exactly how good the comic relief character is.

What did we do to deserve the noble and mighty heropon?

I feel like Monolith really knocked it out of the park with creating the Nopon race. I really love these potatoes and I hope if there is an Xenoblade X-2, we can create our character as one.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

multijoe posted:

Wait do the aura bonuses from elements stack with themselves??
They sure do! Discharging a Bolt with three up in Element Burst is all the damages and it's great.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo that's a gamechanger, I never would have tried that. And I thought her damage was decent just discharging one element at a time.

So how many bonuses stack, and how many times do they stack? Can you stack all three elements at once and discharge them all at once? Or multiple of the same element? Does the stat bonus go up along with the discharge damage?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Deified Data posted:

Holy poo poo that's a gamechanger, I never would have tried that. And I thought her damage was decent just discharging one element at a time.

So how many bonuses stack, and how many times do they stack? Can you stack all three elements at once and discharge them all at once? Or multiple of the same element? Does the stat bonus go up along with the discharge damage?

Three elements total at one time, but they can be duplicates.

e.g. 3 thunder is fine, 2 thunder and 2 fire is one too many.

Duplicate elements give each their full bonus (so for example if 1 summoned fire is 20% strength 2 fire is 40%)

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Deified Data posted:

You can have three elementals active at any one time. Each elemental gives a 20% buff to the stat (except for Aqua's regen effect). You can only discharge one elemental at a time, and when an elemental is discharged you lose the 20% buff it was giving. You will always discharge the last elemental that was summoned.

So like if you Summon Bolt twice, Melia and those standing near her will have a 40% buff to their Ether stat. Then if you Summon Flare, Melia and those standing near her will get a 20% boost to their physical strength. When you Discharge, the 20% boost to Strength will go away. If you Discharge again, you'll dismiss one of her Bolt elementals, which will reduce her Ether buff to 20%.

Each time you Discharge an elemental, it boosts her Talent Gauge, and when the gauge is full she enters Elemental Burst mode. Elemental Burst doubles the damage she deals with her Discharges. So it'd be good to have two Summon Bolts active for a 40% boost to her Ether when she enters Elemental Burst mode so she can pile on the damage. (Also of note: Damage over time status effects, like the one Discharging a Summon Flare inflicts on enemies, deal damage based on the initial hit - so if Melia has two Summon Bolts active for a 40% ether boost, and is in Elemental Burst mode to double her Ether damage output, Discharging Summon Flare is going to be painful for enemies)

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Then stack up a bunch of Ether Up and Electric Plus and you're in business.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

TurnipFritter posted:

You can have three elementals active at any one time. Each elemental gives a 20% buff to the stat (except for Aqua's regen effect). You can only discharge one elemental at a time, and when an elemental is discharged you lose the 20% buff it was giving. You will always discharge the last elemental that was summoned.

So like if you Summon Bolt twice, Melia and those standing near her will have a 40% buff to their Ether stat. Then if you Summon Flare, Melia and those standing near her will get a 20% boost to their physical strength. When you Discharge, the 20% boost to Strength will go away. If you Discharge again, you'll dismiss one of her Bolt elementals, which will reduce her Ether buff to 20%.

Each time you Discharge an elemental, it boosts her Talent Gauge, and when the gauge is full she enters Elemental Burst mode. Elemental Burst doubles the damage she deals with her Discharges. So it'd be good to have two Summon Bolts active for a 40% boost to her Ether when she enters Elemental Burst mode so she can pile on the damage. (Also of note: Damage over time status effects, like the one Discharging a Summon Flare inflicts on enemies, deal damage based on the initial hit - so if Melia has two Summon Bolts active for a 40% ether boost, and is in Elemental Burst mode to double her Ether damage output, Discharging Summon Flare is going to be painful for enemies)

So I’m playing future connected first, Where you get Shulk, Melia, and essentially sharla and Reyn (so far - I’m like 2 hours in and you get those characters after 5 minutes anyway). Since Sharla sucks, id pretty much have to control Melia for me not to be terrible right?

So I just Summon Bolt, summon copy, to get +40% to magic damage, then cycle through earth, fire, and ice to do damage?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Be careful though, because it's super easy to pull aggro with Melia once you have her gemmed up and are discharging your bolts properly. She just does a ridiculous amount of damage when played properly.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
So... help a brother who might otherwise get overwhelmed with sidequests. Is it possible to miss a few sidequests and still max out a region's affinity? I've been paranoid about doing EVERY sidequest so as to make sure I don't miss an opportunity to get that region to 5 stars, but I've obviously got to go back and catch up on a few as, around Chapter 11, I'm sitting on a 3 star Colony 9.

I took a look at a few guides and the numbers of quests there are overwhelming, as is apparently how finicky some of the quest givers are about their hours (need to go check a bunch of places at 10 AM as I often would go looking at 9 AM), so I figured I'd ask here and see if anyone had a way to do MOST of the sidequests and get all of the worthwhile content without needing to farm EVERY. LAST. ONE.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I have a feeling this is a common opinion:

Heart to hearts are a cool mechanic. But gating them behind grinds and what looks to be end game grinding it a terrible idea. From what I have seen of them, just the first two, they are a good way to do character development. After those first two every single one I have found is unavailable. Also, even when I have six people in my party, half of the ones I have in my queue are empty so I guess all of those will be for the mystery seventh person. Gee, I wonder who that could be. :rolleyes:

Anyway, game would be loads better if you could do the heart to hearts as soon as you get to them, assuming the people are in your party. It's just pointless content gating that seriously detracts from the game. I have a feeling I won't even see most of them because I can't see myself grinding just to see a bunch of 2 minute cut scenes after the credits roll.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
"Alright finished a lap around Alcamoth and picked up every quest. It's night now though, better open up the map to make sure 1 or 2 more quests didn't pop u--"

:stare:

"Alright finished my 2nd lap. Pretty sure I got every quest now. Let's start with this ring one since it says it's right here. What's this? A second level? Ok, let's go find the ring up the-"

:stare::stare::stare:

".....OK, NOW I'M SURE I PICKED EVERY drat QUEST AND IT'S NIGHT AGAIN. Let's open up the map and go find that cursed ring once and for all -- "

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 5, 2020

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.
I picked up the game, it's been a wonderful nostalgia trip so far. I'm 18 hours in and just reached the Ether Mine, it's honestly nowhere near as bad as I was remembering, though that may have been helped with Expert Mode and bumping myself up to level 20 or so.

The movement does make me kinda miss XCX's movement though, the game feels so sluggish since I played X last year. You can't even spin in circles while jumping and the jump height is so low :negative:

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.
I picked Xenoblade Chronicles: DE up blindly, having never played any of the games in this series other than... Xenogears, 20 years ago?

About 4 hours in, very much digging it so far, but maaaan are my AI teammates terrible so far.

Also -- Is there always going to be 7000000000000000000 quests everywhere I go? It seems somewhat excessive.

Burginator fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 5, 2020

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Be careful though, because it's super easy to pull aggro with Melia once you have her gemmed up and are discharging your bolts properly. She just does a ridiculous amount of damage when played properly.

That's why Melia has shadow stitch and a boombox playing Benny Hill's theme.

E:

Burginator posted:

Also -- Is there always going to be 7000000000000000000 quests everywhere I go? It seems somewhat excessive.

Your game just heard you. Put your ear near the Switch and/or the cartidrage to hear its answer:

you sweet summer child

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

how far into the game do you get the final party member? Ive been doing every quest along the way but I imagine it'll be better just to get everyone so i can rotate around party members for affinity from quests.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Would you recommend Expert Mode to someone who hasn't played the original version of Xenoblade Chronicles but doesn't like overleveling due to doing side quests?

It seems perfect for that but I'm not sure if I'm not understanding what it actually does or swings too far in the other direction somehow.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Harrow posted:

Would you recommend Expert Mode to someone who hasn't played the original version of Xenoblade Chronicles but doesn't like overleveling due to doing side quests?

It seems perfect for that but I'm not sure if I'm not understanding what it actually does or swings too far in the other direction somehow.

That is entirely what Expert Mode is for, any non-combat experience you get just gets banked so you can use it or refund it as you please.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

That is entirely what Expert Mode is for, any non-combat experience you get just gets banked so you can use it or refund it as you please.

That's what I understood, so cool. It sounds like it's pretty much a win-win: you get the same amount of EXP you always would, you just get to spend a portion of it at whatever rate you prefer?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah, i have like 120k exp sitting there on my dudes, could take myself from level 37 to 45 with it, just from sidequesting

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Harrow posted:

That's what I understood, so cool. It sounds like it's pretty much a win-win: you get the same amount of EXP you always would, you just get to spend a portion of it at whatever rate you prefer?

You arguably get more xp total, since you can (and should) delevel yourself occasionally if you find yourself outpacing the zone, but since you can just apply or remove it as needed, that’s fine.

It’s especially nice, when you come across a dumb named unique 10 levels above the area, to bump yourself up and take it out so you don’t have to come back later, then level back down to the norm for the area.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Zarfol posted:

So I’m playing future connected first, Where you get Shulk, Melia, and essentially sharla and Reyn (so far - I’m like 2 hours in and you get those characters after 5 minutes anyway). Since Sharla sucks, id pretty much have to control Melia for me not to be terrible right?

So I just Summon Bolt, summon copy, to get +40% to magic damage, then cycle through earth, fire, and ice to do damage?

Shulk is perfectly viable as your player character in Future Connected, and none of the possible party combinations are terrible (although I suppose Melia/Nene/Kino is gonna be a bit of a slog). But yes that's the more or less straightforward way to play Melia. (Don't sleep on Summon Wind though, stacking that three times can make your life way easier when going up against slightly stronger enemies)

CaptainPsyko posted:

You arguably get more xp total, since you can (and should) delevel yourself occasionally if you find yourself outpacing the zone, but since you can just apply or remove it as needed, that’s fine.

It’s especially nice, when you come across a dumb named unique 10 levels above the area, to bump yourself up and take it out so you don’t have to come back later, then level back down to the norm for the area.

It's also nice to be able to lower your level down so you actually aggro those loving fish in Eryth Sea

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Expert mode is a godsend because I can play through zones as intended and them jump up 9 levels and obliterate that unique monster I found and not have to think about coming back.

Also another pro tip for Melia: there is an easily accessed secret chamber in the High Entia Tomb (a sidequest in the area will even eventually force you there if you dont find it) with a treasure cheat inside containing her high bolt arts book.

Melia is stupid good and she deserves better teammates

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I've been enjoying being able to finally play XC1. Is it normal to just be completely and totally entertained by Xord? His VA sounds like he was having a blast.

Gameplay-wise, I'm under the impression that Shulk/Reyn/Dunban is the best party I could go with at the moment. Is there a particular way I should be building the latter two? Right now I'm doing the skill tree that heals on chain links for Shulk.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Oh Snapple! posted:

I've been enjoying being able to finally play XC1. Is it normal to just be completely and totally entertained by Xord? His VA sounds like he was having a blast.

Gameplay-wise, I'm under the impression that Shulk/Reyn/Dunban is the best party I could go with at the moment. Is there a particular way I should be building the latter two? Right now I'm doing the skill tree that heals on chain links for Shulk.

I think one of Reyn's skill trees boosts the amount of AP you get from battles? That's useful.

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Memnaelar posted:

So... help a brother who might otherwise get overwhelmed with sidequests. Is it possible to miss a few sidequests and still max out a region's affinity? I've been paranoid about doing EVERY sidequest so as to make sure I don't miss an opportunity to get that region to 5 stars, but I've obviously got to go back and catch up on a few as, around Chapter 11, I'm sitting on a 3 star Colony 9.

I took a look at a few guides and the numbers of quests there are overwhelming, as is apparently how finicky some of the quest givers are about their hours (need to go check a bunch of places at 10 AM as I often would go looking at 9 AM), so I figured I'd ask here and see if anyone had a way to do MOST of the sidequests and get all of the worthwhile content without needing to farm EVERY. LAST. ONE.

Yeah, don't worry. After one of the major near-endgame events some new quests open for each region and they award a lot of affinity. You'll know you've hit that point because a lot of timed quests expire.

I'm pretty sure you can't lock yourself out of max area affinity. A lot of the low value quests you can get away with ignoring altogether.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Whoever said not to do all the Alcamoth sidequests as soon as you can was right, that's a very pivotal point in the story. I just now got to Sword Valley (chapter 11 spoiler?) and i'm going back and doing the sidequests and it's very relaxing, building affinity and playing character combos I never would have.

Game is gorgeous, characters are great, story is good.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Xord was like, 'I'm going to take the vocal enthusiasm of a main antagonist and cram it into three cutscenes.'

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Fourth Wall posted:

Yeah, don't worry. After one of the major near-endgame events some new quests open for each region and they award a lot of affinity. You'll know you've hit that point because a lot of timed quests expire.

I'm pretty sure you can't lock yourself out of max area affinity. A lot of the low value quests you can get away with ignoring altogether.

Much appreciated. Cuts down my OCD fears something fierce.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

this has been a great working from home game since i can just zone out and bang through like 40 sidequests.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Does expert mode just bank battle xp or does it affect any other points impacted by level? I don't have a huge desire to maintain challenge by delevelling to each area (this is my third version and playthrough of this game so I like just running through everything after a while) but I'm wondering if delevelling would eliminate any sp or ap penalties from being overlevelled and so would be worth using.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It only eliminates those penalties if you drop to the appropriate level. It just banks your gains, whatever are appropriate for the level you are.

This does seem to mean if you fiddle with your reserve party members the get a helluva lot of AP and SP

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
For whatever reason the level of enemies in Eryth Sea in general is lower than those of Makna Forest. I had to manually reduce my level for the first time in this playthrough despite having Expert Mode on since the beginning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Barudak posted:

This does seem to mean if you fiddle with your reserve party members the get a helluva lot of AP and SP

Oh hell yes, one less reason to ever waste time with Sharla in the party.