Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

XMNN posted:

ugh

so you can just block the opposition parties appointments and then appoint someone else who's not a member of that party in their place?

our political system is a pile of poo poo

e: at least he's old and might die soon, but more likely he's one of the shriveled old ghouls who lives to 101, actively making everyone else's lives worse the whole time until someone finally finds his phylactery

Field's not a replacement for Watson or the other two of Corbyn's nominations who were also blocked. only Corbyn could nominate substitutes, and he's declined to do so.
Field's been separately nominated as a cross bencher & seems he would've gotten in whether Watson was ever on the list or not.

it's a shite system and totally opaque, but not quite that bad

fingers crossed he's one of the many Lords who never turns up for any vote or other parliamentary business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Vitamin P posted:

Swap the peas for mushroom and that's an incredible breakfast.

I hate peas but gently caress off vitty that thing is for the bin.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Remember the two cops that pushed over a 75 year-old and left him bleeding out on the floor from a head wound?

The entire rest of the squad has resigned from the team in protest at their suspension, saying they were just doing their job. Sadly, they haven't quit being policemen.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52945190

Prince John fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 5, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Apparently the NYPD is having about 6 people resign per day on average, so if they can keep this up we might get police abolition by default.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Prince John posted:

Remember the two cops that pushed over a 75 year-old and left him bleeding out on the floor from a head wound?

The entire rest of the squad has resigned from the team in protest at their suspension, saying they were just doing their job. Sadly, they haven't quite being policemen.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52945190

they haven't even resigned they're just refusing to do emergency work

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Lungboy posted:

Incredibly wrong, yes.

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

I hate peas but gently caress off vitty that thing is for the bin.

How well do you people eat that you'd turn your nose up at that? You'd don't even have to finish it all but dip a sausage in a poached egg, spoon a bit of beans onto the toast wtf is wrong with you?

I swear half this thread is "I spend £14 a week on food and get by" and the other half is on some Prince-Andrew-quail-egg-and-smoked-epicure business and there's zero in-between that's an excellent breakfast.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Peas are ace and anyone who says otherwise is wrong. I wouldn't necessarily put them on my fry up but hell, I'd give it a go. I mean gently caress, food is food.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Trying to parse the sausages into loss but can't quite manage it.

Like the number visible is right and they have the |_ element but the groupings and order don't make sense, would be an over reach, I think.

I guess if you disregard order and orientation and view left plate as top row and right plate as bottom row it works but eh, esoteric to the point of not really counting IMO.

I have honestly no idea. It's been a long week.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Cerv posted:

Field's not a replacement for Watson or the other two of Corbyn's nominations who were also blocked. only Corbyn could nominate substitutes, and he's declined to do so.
Field's been separately nominated as a cross bencher & seems he would've gotten in whether Watson was ever on the list or not.

it's a shite system and totally opaque, but not quite that bad

fingers crossed he's one of the many Lords who never turns up for any vote or other parliamentary business.

ah, that is marginally better

another case of a misleading headline/tweet where reading the article would have been a good idea before posting lol

in my defense, that doesn't seem to be in the bit you can see without subscribing; not in my defense, I didn't actually bother to check first

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

OwlFancier posted:

Apparently the NYPD is having about 6 people resign per day on average, so if they can keep this up we might get police abolition by default.

Yeah, this is starting to do the rounds in the more radical spaces I spectate on.

People are THIS loving CLOSE to realising that if we all stop obeying the system at the same time it will break down for good.

In particular, most cities in the US have had literally every cop on duty with no breaks for a week now. There are VASTLY more people than there are cops, all it takes is working in shifts to keep up the pressure and the cops will crack first. They can't not.

Also BLM have painted Black Lives Matter in like... 40 foot yellow letters down 16th street NW which leads directly to the white house. Which is cool as all gently caress.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

Also BLM have painted Black Lives Matter in like... 40 foot yellow letters down 16th street NW which leads directly to the white house. Which is cool as all gently caress.

Is that the same section that was officially renamed by the mayor as "black lives matter plaza"?

I saw the aerial picture and yeah, it loving rocks.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/HeatherCherone/status/1269004849477300225
Hahahahahahaha

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Vitamin P posted:

How well do you people eat that you'd turn your nose up at that? You'd don't even have to finish it all but dip a sausage in a poached egg, spoon a bit of beans onto the toast wtf is wrong with you?

I swear half this thread is "I spend £14 a week on food and get by" and the other half is on some Prince-Andrew-quail-egg-and-smoked-epicure business and there's zero in-between that's an excellent breakfast.

I mean I'd eat that breakfast, there'd just be a lot of peas*, egg white** and ham*** left on the plate when I was done.

*I had a traumatic experience with peas about 40 years ago when I was at school. I will never eat peas. My backside was not involved.
** Egg white is a packing material whose sole use is to protect the yolk, which is the actual food part of the egg. It is nature's styrofoam peanut and I don't know why anyone eats it.
*** It just looks gross.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The trick with egg white is you want a nice little bit of crisp on the bottom. I agree it's kind of horrible if underdone and tastes weird on its own but a little crunch on the bottom and eaten with other things, very nice.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/mcsteamworks/status/1269011426821255170

You can see why the guy got the job. Boot lodged so firmly down his craw that he turned into a legwarmer.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

OwlFancier posted:

And they only just ended days off and stuff a couple of days ago, that number's gonna skyrocket when they've all done a couple of 84 hours weeks being screamed at the whole time for being fash cunts.

Meanwhile you can have a sizable percentage of protestors at home every day, for their wellbeing or because they're recovering from an rear end-kicking or because they have personal stuff to attend to or whatever. So what if 30% of them stay home on a given day? 70% of several hundred thousand people still means all those cops have to be out all day every day, full gear, everone hates them, no time to rest, no days off, lmao get owned

e; Egg white is the good part of the egg you absolute heathens

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 6, 2020

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

OwlFancier posted:

Is that the same section that was officially renamed by the mayor as "black lives matter plaza"?

I saw the aerial picture and yeah, it loving rocks.

The writing was also the mayor; they commissioned it as a mural apparently.

BLM have criticised it:

https://twitter.com/DMVBlackLives/status/1268903712581464066

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
The white bit is overrated.

I'll let the reader decide if I'm talking about eggs or society

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

You can see why the guy got the job. Boot lodged so firmly down his craw that he turned into a legwarmer.

The worst part is he's in charge of deciding whether complaints against cops are valid, and he said he "would not have been able" to show the same restraint they did. So it's extra funny he got brutality'd himself.

Ms Adequate posted:

And they only just ended days off and stuff a couple of days ago, that number's gonna skyrocket when they've all done a couple of 84 hours weeks being screamed at the whole time for being fash cunts.

Meanwhile you can have a sizable percentage of protestors at home every day, for their wellbeing or because they're recovering from an rear end-kicking or because they have personal stuff to attend to or whatever. So what if 30% of them stay home on a given day? 70% of several hundred thousand people still means all those cops have to be out all day every day, full gear, everone hates them, no time to rest, no days off, lmao get owned

e; Egg white is the good part of the egg you absolute heathens

Yeah the longer the protests go on and the more they spread the better, police can only keep up this kind of "show of force" policing for so long.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Prince John posted:

The writing was also the mayor; they commissioned it as a mural apparently.

BLM have criticised it:

https://twitter.com/DMVBlackLives/status/1268903712581464066

I did wonder if it was official. I hope that even if it was an official thing it might end up serving the cause by just making it more visible, I don't think anyone's gonna be satisfied with a road being painted. But it's there now and either it stays there or they scrape it off without doing anything.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 6, 2020

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I did wonder if it was official. I hope that even if it was an official thing it might end up serving the cause by just making it more visible, I don't think anyone's gonna be satisfied with a road being painted. But it's there now and either it stays there or they scrape it off without doing anything.

Yeah I can understand BLM getting angry if it's coming from a Mayor that refuses policy changes, but I think in and of itself it's a Good Thing. It's done in road paint too (the 'needs burning off' variety) so I'd imagine it will be there a while and might never disappear fully even if they tried to remove it.

Also interesting, the NFL have said they were "wrong" for not supporting player's peaceful protest. Although they've stopped short of saying players will now be allowed to take a knee during the anthem.

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1269034074552721408

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
This is funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pwBDM6IhKY

Hadn't heard of this pastor's blow coronavirus away theory before.
(Is it face shaming to say he looks like a devil?)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 6, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

He's definitely looks like the bad guy from like, a 1980's movie called like CHURCH OF DEATH or something.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

OwlFancier posted:

36,000 cops in the NYPD. It's an army

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Best get that number up then.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Tarnop posted:

36,000 cops in the NYPD. It's an army

Sure, but keep in mind that covers a huge array of both precincts and specialities. I have no idea what their typical rate of cops leaving is so this could be well within their ability to handle, but Covid had already cancelled the next class at the academy so that throws a wrench in it for them. But moreover, you can't just grab a rando from Transit and stick them into a detective role or something. Attrition is likely to start having an effect well before its actual numbers suggest it should if this can be accelerated and kept up for awhile, to say nothing of the massive problems with morale that it implies, and which are going to grow at an exponential rate if protests can be sustained.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Guavanaut posted:

I have a physical need to see the tweet that this was in response to:
https://twitter.com/inthesedeserts/status/1268312102877478913

"The military would do a better job of handling protests and should be brought in to replace the police"

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Ms Adequate posted:

Sure, but keep in mind that covers a huge array of both precincts and specialities. I have no idea what their typical rate of cops leaving is so this could be well within their ability to handle, but Covid had already cancelled the next class at the academy so that throws a wrench in it for them. But moreover, you can't just grab a rando from Transit and stick them into a detective role or something. Attrition is likely to start having an effect well before its actual numbers suggest it should if this can be accelerated and kept up for awhile, to say nothing of the massive problems with morale that it implies, and which are going to grow at an exponential rate if protests can be sustained.

This is a better reply than my flippant post deserved. I do hope that protests can start to have meaningful effects on the morale of police, and get some serious internal heat applied to the higher-ups who've made this "oops all tear-gas" decision on how to handle things in lockstep.

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

jabby posted:

Yeah I can understand BLM getting angry if it's coming from a Mayor that refuses policy changes, but I think in and of itself it's a Good Thing. It's done in road paint too (the 'needs burning off' variety) so I'd imagine it will be there a while and might never disappear fully even if they tried to remove it.

Also interesting, the NFL have said they were "wrong" for not supporting player's peaceful protest. Although they've stopped short of saying players will now be allowed to take a knee during the anthem.

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1269034074552721408

I personally protest with you, but I am totally fine with the league and racist owners blackballing Kaepernick. Not to mention safety Eric Reid who protested with Kapernick and was unsigned until Carolina Panthers signed him for 11 games out of desperation. And even then the NFL felt it had to drug test him 7 times.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Incredible bunch of fussy eaters outing themselves itt. I'm middle class as hell and I'd wolf down that whole meal. I wouldn't call it a breakfast though.

It's like you all never went to boarding school

Or had a mentally ill mum who never remembered to cook for you

Or starved for two weeks due to said mum mistaking a severe bout of colitis for gastroenteritis and telling you it'd get better if you fasted for a bit and then you weren't allowed to eat solid food in the hospital for three weeks either

Man I guess my childhood was kinda hosed up huh

BUT AT LEAST I HAVE THE SENSE TO EAT WHAT'S IN FRONT OF ME AND BE GRATEFUL :mad:

Unless it's mushrooms. gently caress mushrooms

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Good to see some fungus-hater solidarity ITT

Mushrooms are fine in a stew or other dish where they can soak up flavour, but I do not understand the urge to drop a lump of something that tastes like soil on a plate or, god forbid, a pizza

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
If it tastes like soil maybe you haven't washed them properly :colbert:

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Mushrooms rule and I feel sorry for people who don't like them.

Also peas are great but they do not belong on a fried breakfast.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
If you squint, ham eggs chips and peas makes sense. Cooked potato is cooked potato.
Sausages and beans are the interlopers here

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.
How the gently caress do you even fry eggs and not get even a little bit of colour around the edges? Vitamin P can jump in and call me a bougie for this but "actually waiting for your frying pan to heat up" doesn't cost a thing

I've been waiting for gall bladder surgery for almost a year and I'm all the way mad at people who can eat eggs doing so poorly.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
There's nothing wrong with the ingredients (if you treat it as gammon grill and not a fry up), there's a lot wrong with the cooking skill and composition

ffs that gammon looks like it got left on a lukewarm radiator for a year

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Vitamin P posted:

Fair point.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Oscar Romeo Romeo, Prince John and Owl Fancier, I am obligated to tell you that my kittens have been dabbing at the animation in your avs :3:

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Bobstar posted:

Oscar Romeo Romeo, Prince John and Owl Fancier, I am obligated to tell you that my kittens have been dabbing at the animation in your avs :3:

Photographic evidence required...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Vitamin P posted:

The joke understander has logged on.

P.S. Chocolate oranges, along with black pudding are disgusting filth and I will never eat them.