Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Lodin posted:

These days her younger brother only plays Call of Duty and FIFA. Meanwhile, the other night I got a Steam-pop up that she was playing loving Snowrunner.

Please tell me this is a Reddit copy/paste. This sounds like something only a Real Gamer would post. Do you clutch your pearls over other games for filthy casuals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

d3lness posted:

Please tell me this is a Reddit copy/paste. This sounds like something only a Real Gamer would post. Do you clutch your pearls over other games for filthy casuals?

Oh wow it's so uncool to make fun of people for playing popular games, better make fun of the guy by implying he uses a popular website. Stellar posting pearl clutcher lol

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
All of the last three posts are good because they were fun for the people who posted them, and I hope everyone has a good time doing whatever it is they like! Whatever gaming and posting means to you, game and post on, gamers and posters!!! :) :) :)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

signalnoise posted:

All of the last three posts are good because they were fun for the people who posted them, and I hope everyone has a good time doing whatever it is they like! Whatever gaming and posting means to you, game and post on, gamers and posters!!! :) :) :)

Hella yeah

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the only good football game is Lords of Football just because of the name and the concept

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Shibawanko posted:

the only good football game is Lords of Football just because of the name and the concept

you know its a good game because they call it football instead of soccer.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
It says a lot about someone if all they play is call of duty and fifa

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i stopped by a thrift store earlier today and found an old PSone, it was paired with a bunch of bad racing games, fifa and generic sports shovelware, the psone was dirty and had caked grime in all the grooves because only a disgusting child would play those kinds of games

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

i stopped by a thrift store earlier today and found an old PSone, it was paired with a bunch of bad racing games, fifa and generic sports shovelware, the psone was dirty and had caked grime in all the grooves because only a disgusting child would play those kinds of games

Must have been nostalgic.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

It says a lot about someone if all they play is call of duty and fifa

What, that they like to play good games? The new COD is a kick rear end game, and Fifa is a lot of fun. Easily 95% of the PC / console titles you can buy aren't going to be as good as either of those games. Not everybody is into making Cloud Strife play dress-up, or typing insane sentence fragments into chat while trying to steal baron, or getting headshot through the walls in D2 by spinbotters.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

What, that they like to play good games? The new COD is a kick rear end game, and Fifa is a lot of fun. Easily 95% of the PC / console titles you can buy aren't going to be as good as either of those games. Not everybody is into making Cloud Strife play dress-up, or typing insane sentence fragments into chat while trying to steal baron, or getting headshot through the walls in D2 by spinbotters.

I think I tapped out of Fifa around the Euro 2012 version and Call of Duty with whatever version had the fast stabby knife you got with 100 pistol kills. I've certainly had fun with both series but they are the go-to franchises for people that get into games as some kind of populist side hobby but again I'm not really trying to insult or drag down people who enjoy these franchises, it just makes me roll my eyes a bit.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
people that pay full price for sports games are monsters

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

Still playing Grim Dawn. I think at this point it's actively spoiling my free time. I play other games to take a break from Grim Dawn.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rutibex posted:

people that pay full price for sports games are monsters

About 100% of people who play computer video games are monsters?

OK :shrug:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the best sports game is GOLF for NES

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

NBA Jam

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I'd vote for Deathrow for the Xbox as the best sports title, or do we have to stick to real ones?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Has SimGolf ever been rereleased?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Has SimGolf ever been rereleased?

no but its a good game as it is, i like how you really need to give your players the illusion of difficulty, i also just like making ridiculous courses with giant cliffs and islands and stuff

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

3D Megadoodoo posted:

About 100% of people who play computer video games are monsters?

OK :shrug:

i've never paid full price for a sports game so that number definitely isnt 100%

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

this is the unpopular opinions thread

also Madden on Genesis, same game different graphics

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

They should make more sports games with Rodney Dangerfield in them.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
You're trying to name the best sports game ever, you've got as far as narrowing it down to the Mega Drive, but you haven't remembered that it's Road Rash 2? Losers.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

PinheadSlim posted:

Oh wow it's so uncool to make fun of people for playing popular games, better make fun of the guy by implying he uses a popular website. Stellar posting pearl clutcher lol

I have really bad news if you think I'm referencing it for being popular.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Sunswipe posted:

You're trying to name the best sports game ever, you've got as far as narrowing it down to the Mega Drive, but you haven't remembered that it's Road Rash 2? Losers.

That’s not a Mutant League game wtf

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
That dodge ball game on the NES is the best sports game.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
the best sport game is Esport manager, where you manage a team of gamers who play esport manager professionally

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Shibawanko posted:

Nah sorry, Lords of Football is poo poo. The best game about kicking a ball around a bit is Behold The Kickmen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyAwOW-5ucM

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Sunswipe posted:

gotta get Viper's chain and just swing it around your head the whole time

I think all the best sports games were on NES

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Tiny Toon Adventures: Wacky Sports Challenge is some good poo poo

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
Instead of providing an unpopular opinion, I am here to source opinions. I recently resurrected an old IBM Thinkpad from my childhood, and I'm wondering what kind of games I could/should run on it. It already has ZDaemon, and Commander Keen, but aside from that I'm open to any suggestions, but I'm not sure what exactly would run, and since I have no internet connection for it at this point, I want to be pretty sure stuff can run before I go through the effort of obtaining and putting it on there. The specs are as follows:

IBM Thinkpad 600E
Pentium II 400 MHz
Neomagic Magicgraph 256AV Graphics
Not sure about the Sound Card
244 MB of RAM
Running XP Pro (surprisingly well!)
10 GB IDE HDD (I think the original one for the computer, which is pretty impressive)

Again any input is welcome, if anyone knows about the feasibility of running stuff like Fallout 1/2, Jedi Knight, System Shock 2, or Deus Ex it'd be much appreciated.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I would recommend going to the retro games subforum and checking there, especially the thread for classic FPS games. Its fairly active and people in there tend to know their stuff, to the point of professionally porting games from that era.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

DildenAnders posted:

Instead of providing an unpopular opinion, I am here to source opinions. I recently resurrected an old IBM Thinkpad from my childhood, and I'm wondering what kind of games I could/should run on it. It already has ZDaemon, and Commander Keen, but aside from that I'm open to any suggestions, but I'm not sure what exactly would run, and since I have no internet connection for it at this point, I want to be pretty sure stuff can run before I go through the effort of obtaining and putting it on there. The specs are as follows:

IBM Thinkpad 600E
Pentium II 400 MHz
244 MB of RAM
10 GB IDE HDD (I think the original one for the computer, which is pretty impressive)

Again any input is welcome, if anyone knows about the feasibility of running stuff like Fallout 1/2, Jedi Knight, System Shock 2, or Deus Ex it'd be much appreciated.
well what genres do you want?

i think i ran deus ex on my athlon 1ghz pc when it came out, i dunno if 400 mhz is enough

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

naw if your main jam is games about killing people and doing violence to soccer balls, you're a terrorist in training and you know it

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Barudak posted:

I would recommend going to the retro games subforum and checking there, especially the thread for classic FPS games. Its fairly active and people in there tend to know their stuff, to the point of professionally porting games from that era.

:eyepop:
drat since when do we have a retro games subforum? i'm going to go post about SNES games

DildenAnders posted:

IBM Thinkpad 600E
Pentium II 400 MHz
244 MB of RAM

Leisure Suit Larry: Love for Sail

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
"had a long day at work, time to come home and let off some steam by engaging in simulated violence" - a psychopath

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Khanstant posted:

"had a long day at work, time to come home and let off some steam by engaging in simulated violence" - a psychopath
yeah real violence is where it's at

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
it's no coincidence that videosgames came out in 1986 and there's been non-stop violenc in the world ever since

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i played through love for sail not long ago, still holds up. discworld games are also good adventure games.

honestly you might be better off putting windows 98 on that thinkpad, it might run better and you get easier access to dos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Shibawanko posted:

i played through love for sail not long ago, still holds up. discworld games are also good adventure games.

honestly you might be better off putting windows 98 on that thinkpad, it might run better and you get easier access to dos

Huh play all those 1920s centennial nostalgia games lol. :downs: