Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

bionic vapour boy posted:

How the gently caress do you even fry eggs and not get even a little bit of colour around the edges? Vitamin P can jump in and call me a bougie for this but "actually waiting for your frying pan to heat up" doesn't cost a thing

Actually it'll cost you a penny or whatever in gas/leccy :science:

1930 - the last time the global economy was this hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Mebh posted:

Photographic evidence required...

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Aug 12, 2020

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.
Let the cat post

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
:3:

bionic vapour boy posted:

Let the cat post
No account sharing. Get the cat its own account.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Guavanaut posted:

Get the cat its own account.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

riot-medicine.pdf

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I have decided to learn German during lockdown, partly for fun and partly as I'd like the option to run away one day (which is a big internal dilemma for me as I see running away as being a luxury and abandoning my friends and family as well as any positive change I can do here on one hand, whilst on the other, I just can't be arsed living most of my life under a government I loving despise that repeatedly gets voted in)

Any tips for learning a new language? I am using Duolingo and keeping a little vocabulary book and watching stuff in German on Netflix. The SA thread is a bit advanced for me as I've only just started, but any advice or simple books to read would be appreciated :)

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

justcola posted:

I have decided to learn German during lockdown, partly for fun and partly as I'd like the option to run away one day (which is a big internal dilemma for me as I see running away as being a luxury and abandoning my friends and family as well as any positive change I can do here on one hand, whilst on the other, I just can't be arsed living most of my life under a government I loving despise that repeatedly gets voted in)

Any tips for learning a new language? I am using Duolingo and keeping a little vocabulary book and watching stuff in German on Netflix. The SA thread is a bit advanced for me as I've only just started, but any advice or simple books to read would be appreciated :)

Duolingo and HelloTalk go really well together, DuoLingo gets you the basics, HelloTalk gets you actual usage.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

There isn't that much wrong with this breakfast.
It is clearly going with quantity over variety. You could easily reduce tve amount of food on that plate and it would still be a hearty breakfast.

The peas are a bit of an odd choice, but it is probably a stylistic choice as someone might have been told to get more veg into their diet.

The toast looks like it is my preferred level kf toasting. I hate heavily toasted bread, so this looks good.
The sausages look like large but still tasty. Beans and hash browns are fine.
The rashers don't look like the kind of good rashers with fat on them that I'd like but probably wouldn't be bad.
The eggs, I can't tell if they were supposed to he poached or fried. I suspect vinegar might have been used on them which would explain that look. I don't like vinegar on my food, so if it was there that would be a no for me.

That meal could really do with some white pudding. Possibly some fried cherry tomatoes.
Or a baguette to make it into a breakfast roll.

Tarnop posted:

Good to see some fungus-hater solidarity ITT

Mushrooms are fine in a stew or other dish where they can soak up flavour, but I do not understand the urge to drop a lump of something that tastes like soil on a plate or, god forbid, a pizza

There is a time and place for mushrooms.
And that is Never. And in the bin.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Ratjaculation posted:

riot-medicine.pdf
https://riotmedicine.net

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

The Question IRL posted:

There is a time and place for mushrooms.
And that is Never. And in the bin.

:wrong: mushrooms are great.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Same energy:

Man who trains San Jose police about bias severely injured by riot gun during George Floyd protest

quote:

”I really just couldn't watch it anymore," Sanderlin said. "And just kind of made like a parallel walkover, put my hands up, and just stood in the line of the fire and asked them to please not do this."

The video shows the officers' training their riot guns on Sanderlin.

He stood a good distance away, made no aggressive motions to police, yet they fired on him several times, one round hitting him in the groin.

"I pause for a moment like maybe this isn't, maybe this doesn't hurt and falling afterwards is like the most painful experience," he said.

Derrick and Cayla Sanderlin have been married four years.

They both work for charities helping people who are suffering economically during the pandemic.

After Derrick's emergency surgery for a rupture, the doctors aren't sure they'll be able to have children.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Miftan posted:

:wrong: mushrooms are great.
Sounds like a lot of people haven't eaten any mushrooms that aren't the limpest whitest button mushrooms.

That's my shiitake.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

justcola posted:

I keep getting distracted from my European language effortpost, but here are some bits that might be useful.

Duolingo is good, but can be a bit hit-or-miss because each language is built by a different group of volunteers. Some people find the content whimsical and fun, others think it's silly and not helpful (the Spanish version can be put together into a bleak story, while the Dutch version has sentences like "help my rhinoceros has been stolen").

Other (paid) options include:

Pimsleur - a primarily audio course in 30 min/day chunks, with listening and repetition. I found it really great to get me speaking quickly - it's slow enough, methodical, and contained just the right amount of explanation from the American dude for my liking. It is all about sound though, and it doesn't want you to try to spell the words in your head, which I did because that's how I learn, and I found it much harder with Russian where I couldn't do that. Gives you DRM-free audio files, which is nice.

Rosetta Stone - has got much cheaper since Duolingo came along and undercut it. It's "thing" is no translation - it just bombards you with pictures and words and you work it out, "like how you learned your first language". A cool idea, but challenging if you like to know why. Using a grammar book alongside can help with this. Most useful as a longer-term thing, as it stays quite basic for a while as you build up the layers.

italki - find a tutor online and do video chat lessons (now with 100% more pandemic!). Having a tutor is a great way to keep motivated and have the learning tailored to you. You can pick from a range of enthusiastic amateurs (cheaper) and professional language teachers (expensiver).

Free ideas:

You mentioned TV already, I like to mix in some shows I already know (Friends, Simpsons, lightweight stuff like that) with the dubbing and maybe subtitles, either in the target language or your own, depending on how well you know the episodes.

Find a German who wants to improve their English and do intercambio - speak one language for a bit, then switch, with the native speaker helping out the learner. Everybody wins!

German-specific thoughts:

German is grammatically fairly complex, with lots of cases, endings, 3 genders and all that jazz. BUT that doesn't mean it's scary and horrible. Think what you're trying to achieve and how your brain works. If you're like me, you'll want to know the grammar nuts and bolts, which means sitting down and studying it (it's very hard to construct the system yourself from first principles just by seeing example sentences).

But you don't need to do that to get started. A colleague of mine has lived in Germany for over 10 years, working in German every day, and will still say the same noun with 3 different genders in the space of one sentence, mess up his endings etc... but he's confident, fluent (i.e. the language flows without interruption), and comprehensible, and that's far more useful than someone who never dares to say anything until they're perfect. Germans know their language is hard, and won't think you're stupid for making mistakes.

Feel free to PM me for German help, I'm fluent and bored! :)

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Aug 12, 2020

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
:hellyeah:
https://twitter.com/LCRWnews/status/1269098948972523520?s=20

haakman
May 5, 2011
Yeah my Kitten LOVES Owl's AV. She often throws herself at the monitor to catch it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Members of Minneapolis City Council are now openly calling to disband the entire city police force and replace it with community driven peace patrols that answer to the community, mental health teams, and a culture of conflict resolution.

Better things are possible.

Cool, when do we start?

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.
I've been trying to learn German myself to uhhh mixed success but I do quite like the Coffee Break German podcast. The main bulk of it is structured like a conversation between the two hosts where they'll introduce new vocab & grammar as it comes up naturally. It makes some of the nitty gritty grammar stuff less daunting to me to hear it spoken about and explained than to read it, I guess?

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Danke shön zum Information bionic vapour boy, ratjaculation und Bobstar, sehr gut. Ich bin lernen langsam aber langsam besser schnell dann...nein lernen(?)

I taught myself Spanish on and off for a while and can more or less read news articles and got by when I went to Spain, but I'd like to really grapple with a language and understand its grammar (plus all the compound wordage) - appreciate the extra information

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

we voted so we wouldnt have to deal with different languages and cultures

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol

https://twitter.com/DrRobertZands/status/1269221069237497856?s=20

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

justcola posted:

Danke shön zum Information bionic vapour boy, ratjaculation und Bobstar, sehr gut. Ich bin lernen langsam aber langsam besser schnell dann...nein lernen(?)

*breaks out limited German*

"nicht zu lernen", I think. I'd like correction too, so I would say "... aber es ist besser langsamer zu lernen dann schnell zu sein und nicht zu lernen".

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Guavanaut posted:

Sounds like a lot of people haven't eaten any mushrooms that aren't the limpest whitest button mushrooms.

That's my shiitake.

In my case the initial suspicion of them comes from reading a ladybird book of mushrooms and toadstools when I was a kid and really internalising that a whooole lot of them were poisonous. And they don't do themselves any favours with the rubbery texture and general alien-ness.

The flavour isn't that offensive really, I will eat them to be polite.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm glad I had the cars and computers ones instead.

Did you know computers don't even need special dedicated rooms now?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Jedit posted:

*breaks out limited German*

"nicht zu lernen", I think. I'd like correction too, so I would say "... aber es ist besser langsamer zu lernen dann schnell zu sein und nicht zu lernen".

Pretty much. Just replace "dann" with "als" - dann is then, als is than.

And justcola, the beginning would be "Ich lerne langsam". The present continuous (I am learning / estoy aprendiendo) doesn't really exist in German, you just use the simple present (I learn) both for things in progress, and for habitual things (if you want to really emphasise that something is currently happening, you can add words like gerade or dabei, but in this case you wouldn't need to :) )

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Miftan posted:

The joke understander has logged on.

P.S. Chocolate oranges, along with black pudding are disgusting filth and I will never eat them.

Both of those things are awesome, sorry

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Imagine a long sausage thing like a black pud, except it was made of a load of chocolate orange segments stacked like

and you pulled them off the end instead of cracking the orange.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I remember the favourite word in my German lessons was 'Naja!' said with heavy, heavy sarcasm.

I'd never say I speak German as such but I can ask where the station is and say 'I'm sorry, my German is very bad, could you please say that a bit more slowly' and that'll get you around.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

HopperUK posted:

I remember the favourite word in my German lessons was 'Naja!' said with heavy, heavy sarcasm.

I'd never say I speak German as such but I can ask where the station is and say 'I'm sorry, my German is very bad, could you please say that a bit more slowly' and that'll get you around.

I my experience if I ask a German or Dutch person to say something slower they'll instantly just switch to English.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

OwlFancier posted:

I like cheap sausage, cheapest you can get is favourite.

Truer things have never been posted in the UKMT

This isn't innuendo, cheap sausage best sausage

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

justcola posted:

I have decided to learn German during
Mein Beileid.

justcola posted:

Spiel Gothic, Gothic 2, Gothic 3, Risen, Risen 2, Risen 3, Elex.

It's bascially immersion for people who don't go outside.

As a bonus, you'll understand this video made entirely from Gothic 3 NPC dialogue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws7hiLOBdoY

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

Imagine a long sausage thing like a black pud, except it was made of a load of chocolate orange segments stacked like

So an orange flavour Toblerone?

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Terry's Chocolate Log

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

HopperUK posted:

Mine was gegenuber, just because I like how it sounds.

DrSnakeLaser posted:

Terry's Chocolate Log

Turn it inside out to make terry's chocolate...

sea urchin, why where did you think I was going?

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Shaking my head at people who didn't immediately learn all the swears in their language lessons.

I always enjoyed saying Kartoffen Kopf, although the application is somewhat limited. I do remember having to learn German slang which according to the exchange TA was incredibly out of date (something like "You have a lot of wood in front of your house" for a pick up line).

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Guavanaut posted:

:swoon:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/tristandross/status/1269245780600197120?s=20

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

ICH HABE KEINE KANINCHEN.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jedit posted:

So an orange flavour Toblerone?
The segments would still be spherical wedges, but they'd just be aligned as a rectangle, with a hemisphere at each end, giving a long black pudding shape, or

DrSnakeLaser posted:

Terry's Chocolate Log

Toblerone are more like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

Did you know computers don't even need special dedicated rooms now?

Uh that "mini" computer system is clearly called DECSYSTEM 2020 so presumably that's a recent photo.