Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

drat it, just hosed up a batch of injera I had been fermenting for three days.
Got the sour taste PERFECT, but it wasn't quite bubbly enough, and my batter was a little too thick, and most of my injera ended up a little wet in the middle. grumble grumble grumble

There is no replacing that slow fermented taste, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Already making Thanksgiving plans where I’m going to make dozens of takeout meals and we’re gonna eat together on zoom

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

Already making Thanksgiving plans where I’m going to make dozens of takeout meals and we’re gonna eat together on zoom

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Steve Yun posted:

ship mine early

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HIm4LoAZxU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Can use 2 in stereo taste to simulate 3d taste??

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I get to host Italian Christmas this year, and I'm wondering what to do for the meat. I did fresh ham last time (it's a 4 year cycle)

For some reason, veal popped into my head, but I don't know what the would look like. A big platter of veal scaloppine with mushrooms, served family style?

Maybe veal chops? or lamb chops?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
could reconstitute a veal roast from veal chops w transglutaminase

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Squashy Nipples posted:

I get to host Italian Christmas this year, and I'm wondering what to do for the meat. I did fresh ham last time (it's a 4 year cycle)

For some reason, veal popped into my head, but I don't know what the would look like. A big platter of veal scaloppine with mushrooms, served family style?

Maybe veal chops? or lamb chops?
Osso buco! With saffron risotto. Very wintery.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

DekeThornton posted:

gently caress yes. That's perfect, thank you.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
It's officially too hot to cook in my apartment. The only cooking I'll be doing is in the instant pot, or sub 10-minute stovetop stuff.

Post good recipes for cool summer meals and fun salads, lest I eat only canned tuna and cottage cheese for the next 3 months.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

It's officially too hot to cook in my apartment. The only cooking I'll be doing is in the instant pot, or sub 10-minute stovetop stuff.

Post good recipes for cool summer meals and fun salads, lest I eat only canned tuna and cottage cheese for the next 3 months.

My favourite summer salad is basically cold succotash-esque. Corn, black beans, onions, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, parsley, cilantro, sometimes mint, lime, avocado. If you have a grill getting the corn charred is great. If not, cook in the microwave before shucking, then cut off the bottom and squeeze the cob out for the stress-free-est way to cook corn on the cub. Slice it off and use a torch to char if you have one.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jun 4, 2020

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Suspect Bucket posted:

Canned tomatoes with fresh cucumber, lime, cumin and cilantro in the blender for gazpacho.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Suspect Bucket posted:

This cucumber salad isn't exactly a meal, but it is a really nice little side dish. Good for hot days.

https://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2017/05/smashed-cucumber-salad-i-crushed-this.html

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
We do a summer salad of watermelon, cucumber, feta cheese, and lots of fresh dill. Keeps you super cool and feeling good.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mr. Wiggles posted:

We do a summer salad of watermelon, cucumber, feta cheese, and lots of fresh dill. Keeps you super cool and feeling good.

I do that one but swap mint for dill

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

mediaphage posted:

My favourite summer salad is basically cold succotash-esque. Corn, black beans, onions, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, parsley, cilantro, sometimes mint, lime, avocado. If you have a grill getting the corn charred is great. If not, cook in the microwave before shucking, then cut off the bottom and squeeze the cob out for the stress-free-est way to cook corn on the cub. Slice it off and use a torch to char if you have one.

My sister in law does this with a bit of balsamic vinaigrette to dress it and serves it with tortilla chips. So good.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

DekeThornton posted:

I don’t think risotto would soak up the delicious sauce that accompanies osso buco.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

therattle posted:

I don’t think risotto would soak up the delicious sauce that accompanies osso buco.

Risotto Milanese is the traditional dish paired with Osso Buco, and it really works extremly well. That said, som crispy oven potatoes or maybe a nice mash would not really be out of place either, with the added bonus of offendin various online Italians.

Edit: I also assume the presence of nice crusty bread, for sauce duty.

DekeThornton fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 4, 2020

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Stringent posted:

My sister in law does this with a bit of balsamic vinaigrette to dress it and serves it with tortilla chips. So good.

Yeah, sometimes I’ll add a glug of oil, but it’s why I like the avocados and lime - they add the fat and acid.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

DekeThornton posted:

This is the only correct answer.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Yeah same. I am making grilled cheese tonight, don't want to do anything that turns on the oven , except for the bread I baked this morning for the grilled cheese.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013
I tried looking up how to make powdered eggs on WikiHow and

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Large swathes of India are pretty hot for a lot of the time and thus the vast majority of Indian food can be cooked in an Instant Pot, plus about 30 seconds of stovetop stuff sometimes. Stop on by the Indian thread sometime.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

aardwolf posted:

I tried looking up how to make powdered eggs on WikiHow and

that's some grade-a trolling

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Same thing that guy said re: mint but I soak the watermelon in reisling too. But I come from a long line of lushes.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

DekeThornton posted:

Risotto Milanese is the traditional dish paired with Osso Buco, and it really works extremly well. That said, som crispy oven potatoes or maybe a nice mash would not really be out of place either, with the added bonus of offendin various online Italians.

Edit: I also assume the presence of nice crusty bread, for sauce duty.

I stand corrected.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Suspect Bucket posted:

Greek salad is nice and refreshing. No lettuce to wilt so you can chop it all up in the morning when it's cool and let it sit in the fridge until dinner. Save the dressing until meal time.

quote:

2 large English cucumbers
2 cups cherry tomatoes
¼ red onion
½ bell pepper
½ cup black olives
½ cup green olives

salt and pepper to taste
4 oz feta
1 tsp dry oregano

Dressing:
¼ cup red wine vinegar
¼ cup olive oil

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Panzanella salad is a nice way to use up any old bread you have laying around.
It benefits from resting for a long time in the fridge.

4 ounces ciabatta or baguette, preferably stale, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 3 cups)

6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, more to taste

¾ teaspoon kosher sea salt, more to taste

2 pounds very ripe tomatoes, preferably a mix of varieties and colors

6 ounces fresh mozzarella, torn or cut into bite-size pieces

½ cup thinly sliced red onion, about half a small onion

2 garlic cloves, grated to a paste

2 tablespoons red wine vinegar, more to taste

1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or thyme (or a combination)

Large pinch red pepper flakes (optional)

½ teaspoon Dijon mustard

Black pepper, to taste

½ cup thinly sliced Persian or Kirby cucumber, about 1 small cucumber

½ cup torn basil leaves

¼ cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, roughly chopped

1 tablespoon capers, drained

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I found some 1/8 inch aluminium sheets. Any reason that I shouldn't use that to make a pizza paddle?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Re hot weather food, making salads made with couscous and quinoa is good too as they are minimal cooking and eat well cold.
Also look at Vietnamese food as there is loads of tasty salads and food to eat cold that are packed with flavour and freshness from a lot of herbs.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Helith posted:

Re hot weather food, making salads made with couscous and quinoa is good too as they are minimal cooking and eat well cold.
Also look at Vietnamese food as there is loads of tasty salads and food to eat cold that are packed with flavour and freshness from a lot of herbs.

Yeah, or bulgur. Add some roast vegetables (maybe roasted with harissa) chickpeas and/or feta or grilled halloumi, and the key ingredient t if lots of fresh mint

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Lester Shy posted:

Greek salad is nice and refreshing. No lettuce to wilt so you can chop it all up in the morning when it's cool and let it sit in the fridge until dinner. Save the dressing until meal time.

Never salt your veg until eating too!

Edit: Also I'd suggest BLOTs for summer sandwiches because tomatoes are good in the summer depending on the variety. Just avoid the lovely "Ripe on the vine!" or super plump run of the mill red round ones and you'll be good. You can bake your entire pack of in the oven bacon early on a saturday morning and have it ready for the week. BLOT = Bacon, Lettuce, Onion and Tomato.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jun 6, 2020

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Croatoan posted:

I salt my veg to draw out moisture before chucking it on the grill. Do you mean for raw veg eating?

I do hope to be blessed with some fresh home grown veg in a month or so.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jun 6, 2020

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CommonShore posted:

I found some 1/8 inch aluminium sheets. Any reason that I shouldn't use that to make a pizza paddle?

The only reason I can think of is a ready made one only costs $30. I don’t know how thick mine is, but I’ve never had to worry about it bending or sagging and dropping my pizza. How you engineer that attachment to the handle is going to make a big difference on that with yours.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Croatoan posted:

Edit: Also I'd suggest BLOTs for summer sandwiches because tomatoes are good in the summer depending on the variety. Just avoid the lovely "Ripe on the vine!" or super plump run of the mill red round ones and you'll be good. You can bake your entire pack of in the oven bacon early on a saturday morning and have it ready for the week. BLOT = Bacon, Lettuce, Onion and Tomato.

I like bloats

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The only reason I can think of is a ready made one only costs $30. I don’t know how thick mine is, but I’ve never had to worry about it bending or sagging and dropping my pizza. How you engineer that attachment to the handle is going to make a big difference on that with yours.

do you just use parchment with a metal peel? i like wooden ones because of how easy they are to flour

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The wooden ones are stupid thick, depending on what kind of crust you are making, they are not useful for getting the pizza up off the stone.

At my buddy's pizza shop, just metal peels, and we would file the edge down when first purchased.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mediaphage posted:

I like bloats

do you just use parchment with a metal peel? i like wooden ones because of how easy they are to flour

I use parchment a lot anyway, but typically I put the pizza in on the wooden peel and take it out with the aluminum. When I’m making pizzas I’m assembling the next one on the wooden peel so I found I needed two for my workflow. My pizzaflow.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I use parchment a lot anyway, but typically I put the pizza in on the wooden peel and take it out with the aluminum. When I’m making pizzas I’m assembling the next one on the wooden peel so I found I needed two for my workflow. My pizzaflow.

oh good idea

Squashy Nipples posted:

The wooden ones are stupid thick, depending on what kind of crust you are making, they are not useful for getting the pizza up off the stone.

At my buddy's pizza shop, just metal peels, and we would file the edge down when first purchased.

i have a wooden peel i wouldn't classify as "stupid thick", but fgr's idea is great because metal ones suck for putting them in the oven regardless of how your buddy's shop does it and i don't like using parchment 100% of the time

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jun 6, 2020

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Suspect Bucket posted:

I salt my veg to draw out moisture before chucking it on the grill. Do you mean for raw veg eating?

Yeah they were talking about salads and greek salads in particular. Wet soggy romaine does not make a good greek salad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Croatoan posted:

Yeah they were talking about salads and greek salads in particular. Wet soggy romaine does not make a good greek salad.

agree, the only salads that stay good in the fridge are kale imo