Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Barudak posted:

You want to play Quake in some way that automatically enables mouselook because otherwise you will be going into the command prompt and typing in the code to enable it every time.

Morter posted:

Here's hoping one of the aforementioned ways covers that :kiddo:

Or just create an autoexec.cfg and add +mlook to the file and it'll be always on when you launch the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Yeah, it's a non-issue. All the sourceports have a menu option for that anyway and most have it on by default.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Barudak posted:

You want to play Quake in some way that automatically enables mouselook because otherwise you will be going into the command prompt and typing in the code to enable it every time.

Nah, there’s a workaround: add +mlook to a text file named autoexec.cfg in the id1 folder, where it’ll be enforced for Quake and its ports by default.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Only if you're a weirdo playing one of the retail versions of Quake fresh off the cd. I have to do that in macQuake on my antique computers, but even poo poo like GLQuake had mouselook options in the menu already.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Anybody who interpolates animations is an enemy of mine just fyi.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Morter posted:

Here's hoping one of the aforementioned ways covers that :kiddo:

Oh I know. Im just saying the sort of aged in a bad way you have to look forward to if you dont.

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

weed cat is back, and he loves to suck dick

:sueme:

al-azad posted:

Anybody who interpolates animations is an enemy of mine just fyi.

haha nailgun go brr

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

weed cat posted:

haha nailgun go brr
:hmmyes:

No-interpolation on a high-framerate monitor like mine does have the bonus perk of looking like you're running around shooting claymation demons a la Clash of the Titans or something, but by and large the interpolated animations are way better.

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

Shadow Hog posted:

No-interpolation on a high-framerate monitor like mine does have the bonus perk of looking like you're running around shooting claymation demons a la Clash of the Titans or something, but by and large the interpolated animations are way better.

yeah, I got accustomed to them in... I think I first played on the OS X source port. by Fruitz of Dojo?

Here's a shooter I'd forgotten about : Pariah. Recently found the demo again. Totally didn't notice how much of a Halo clone it was back in the day. Thinking of buying it because I kinda like bad shooters. I just bought a copy of Devastation, should be here by the end of next week.

weed cat fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jun 6, 2020

al-azad
May 28, 2009

weed cat posted:

yeah, I got accustomed to them in... I think I first played on the OS X source port. by Fruitz of Dojo?

Here's a shooter I'd forgotten about : Pariah. Recently found the demo again. Totally didn't notice how much of a Halo clone it was back in the day. Thinking of buying it because I kinda like bad shooters. I just bought a copy of Devastation, should be here by the end of next week.

Pariah is one of those early games with Timesplitters rear end snap maps.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

If you are revisiting Quake II and have a modern rig, don’t forget about Quake II RTX. It has a demo and if you owned Quake II on Steam prior to the RTX version you got the full version for free.

It’s like looking at the past AND the future at the same time, holy moley! :catdrugs:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My vague memory of Pariah is the first 2 hours are pretty good and fun and then it just becomes like thinning out a soup to make it last longer.

Also I think the snap maps had some issues with it like they couldnt be shared or the physics were wonky or something, I just have a vague memory of it not working right.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

edit: wrong thread!

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jun 6, 2020

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Wrath update trip report:

The nerf to the shotgun's alt turned out to be quite modest- you can no longer one-shot the cerberocacos with it, but its utility in every other circumstance is more or less the same. It's a good change, I think; between this the changes to pain chance that mean you can no longer stunlock them with the fang spitter's secondary, the cacos are now super deadly and tough to deal with. Which has the knock on effect of making M3's final fight even more impossible without cheese, but whatever.

The fang spitter buff is extremely real and it's now my go to weapon for clearing trash enemies. In fact, it's now the shotgun primary that feels a little pointless. I don't know if maybe it needs a tighter spread or a shorter reload or just plain more damage- I think it would be competitive if it was reliable at medium range or for taking out a big group of low tiers in one shot, but it's not quite there for either.

New gun is a plasma gun on the primary and a rocket launcher on the alt. You cannot rocket jump with the alt: you will kill yourself. It is, as you might imagine, really loving good, and its one downside is the incredibly limited ammo capacity. That's something the fang spitter shares, after the rebalance- both have a max of a hundred. Given the ROF on both of them you will run that out very quickly with sustained fire, so you're constantly having to scrabble for ammo. This makes sense for the new gun, which would obsolete everything else if you could fire it all the time, but seems a little excessive for the fang spitter, which is merely good. Also! The fang spitter's ammo comes in packs of thirty. Thirty goes into one hundred three and one third times. WHY.

New enemy is an arachnotron type thing, drops ammo for the new gun. Its greatest sin is not being an angry brain spider, and instead being some sort of fire golem.

New level, the Priory, is really, really good. Huge, open, sprawling and with a fair variety of environments- snowy cliffside, ruined church, waterlogged caves, lava cavern. Hundreds of enemies, lots of places to explore and secrets to find in them. It's a huge step up from what they've been showing off previously. The final fight deserves special mention: a huge open cavern flooded with lava, dotted with flight powerups. Arachnogolems command the ledges and cerberocacos rule the skies. You don't quite get enough airtime or move fast enough to dogfight, exactly, but it's definitely thrusting in that direction.

Shadow Hog posted:

The claymation look is great and it's something the next wave of throwback shooters should self-indulgently recreate :colbert:

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Half-Life meets Stalker lookin rear end retro FPS HROT is getting a demo on the 9th.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/824600/HROT/

Looks neato.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Half-Life meets Stalker lookin rear end retro FPS HROT is getting a demo on the 9th.

Looks neato.

“A custom engine written in Pascal imitating 1990s software-style rendering with unfiltered textures and polygon jitter.”

What pascal runtimes are still around?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

“A custom engine written in Pascal imitating 1990s software-style rendering with unfiltered textures and polygon jitter.”

FreePascal? It's what DoomRL was written in and is still getting updates.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Twerk from Home posted:

So in a weird way it’s a love letter to Chasm: The Rift, which was also written in Pascal. Interesting.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Looks neato.

“Those times were dark and terrifying and so is the game” is oddly charming

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Battleborn Update: It recognizes I have the deluxe edition that came with all the DLC, but I didn't click the unlock button 4 years ago when these levels/characters launched so after they went free to play they changed how all that worked it now wants me to pay.

Thanks Randy, for finding new and innovative ways to piss everyone off.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Twerk from Home posted:

A custom engine written in Pascal imitating 1990s software-style rendering with unfiltered textures and polygon jitter.

Uh, was polygon jitter ever a thing in PC games? I thought it happen only in PS1 games.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Negostrike posted:

Uh, was polygon jitter ever a thing in PC games? I thought it happen only in PS1 games.

It was absolutely a thing in Quake 2 engine games, though I think it was unique to them (and not overly noticeable in Quake 2 itself compared to, say, Kingpin or Soldier of Fortune).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Quake 2 had really bad vertex jitter because it was doing mesh interpolations at low precision, or at least it did once you had a sufficiently high frame rate which most people didn't upon release. Texture jitter was almost never seen in PC games because they implemented perspective correction in texture mapping, the big thing the PS1's graphics chip left out.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

haveblue posted:

Quake 2 had really bad vertex jitter because it was doing mesh interpolations at low precision, or at least it did once you had a sufficiently high frame rate which most people didn't upon release. Texture jitter was almost never seen in PC games because they implemented perspective correction in texture mapping, the big thing the PS1's graphics chip left out.

Fun fact: Doom on PS1 didn't jitter because in a response to the PS1 being able to crap out tons of polygons but being terrible at texture mapping, they just rendered each pixel as its own polygon and used its GPU as a line renderer!

Cribbed from: https://fabiensanglard.net/doom_psx/index.html

"John Carmack posted:

We wound up using the hardware to render triangles that were one pixel wide columns or rows, just like the PC asm code, and it worked well. The more common Playstation approach turned out to be tessellating geometry in two axis, but I was always pretty happy with how Doom felt less "wiggly" than most other Playstation games of the time.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The ps1 could also dynamically subdivide meshes which worked well in very blocky games like Metal Gear Solid or Tomb Raider but then you look at Croc and it’s like the whole geometry is threatening to tear apart.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The wigglyness of PS1 graphics is interesting, and I think probably the only FP Walker(?) that took real advantage of that was LSD. I like the look, and if you make games about shubniggurath and eldritch horrors it feels like a must include

al-azad posted:

The ps1 could also dynamically subdivide meshes which worked well in very blocky games like Metal Gear Solid or Tomb Raider but then you look at Croc and it’s like the whole geometry is threatening to tear apart.

Croc is a game where you are like "how did this cute lil guy on an adventure to save fluffy lactose intolerants not go on to great success" and then you play it for a few minutes and its so bad that the feeling of the game tearing itself apart feels like it trying to do you a mercy

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Ye I did. I know it's an alpha demo so I'm not too peeved about it. Found a few more glitches too. Grenades like to phase through the floor and explode harmlessly in the void. And that opening video text crawl still doesn't work. I think that's what caused the performance issue, because I tested it again. Video files playing really pisses off the Unreal engine it seems.

An update: Your performance issues may be solved in the patch just released (apparently ragdolls at rest weren't being turned off, or just weren't ever being considered at rest). https://twitter.com/pripyatbeast/status/1269417131029880832

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

Barudak posted:

The wigglyness of PS1 graphics is interesting, and I think probably the only FP Walker(?) that took real advantage of that was LSD. I like the look, and if you make games about shubniggurath and eldritch horrors it feels like a must include

Croc is a game where you are like "how did this cute lil guy on an adventure to save fluffy lactose intolerants not go on to great success" and then you play it for a few minutes and its so bad that the feeling of the game tearing itself apart feels like it trying to do you a mercy

Looking at online videos, it seems pretty par for the course for PS1. I got into 3d games around 2002/2003, so I never found texture jitter very acceptable. Always looked awful to me. But, now I feel some sentimental attachment to it.

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

oops bought a copy of Pariah too, gonna get my mediocre 'aughts shooter on. now to figure out how to play ubersoldier again. it used starforce and might require windows xp to run. not sure if a virtual machine would work for that or not. i actually bricked a windows 7 system trying to play/install it at one point.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Rocket Pan posted:

An update: Your performance issues may be solved in the patch just released (apparently ragdolls at rest weren't being turned off, or just weren't ever being considered at rest). https://twitter.com/pripyatbeast/status/1269417131029880832

Yeah I just did a playthrough with the patch. General performance is better but those videos, like the opening text crawl and v-mail, still suddenly cause things to chug. v:shobon:v I let them know on the Night Dive discord channel but I might be the only one having this problem? No one else seems to. Maybe my codecs are all screwy.

Anyway the demo slaps and I'm really looking forward to the full game, even if I doubt they can make a 2020 release.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
My bigger problem with the demo is the combination of random crashes and saving being completely disabled for some reason. After it crashed a third time while just generally being around the rad trench area, I'm done.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Watching this Arkane documentary and man gently caress Half-Life 3, I'm mad we missed out on Dark Messiah of Headcrabs & Booby Traps.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

al-azad posted:

Watching this Arkane documentary and man gently caress Half-Life 3, I'm mad we missed out on Dark Messiah of Headcrabs & Booby Traps.

Ravenholm looked really fun. The electric traps is a thing they used in Dishonored and you can see the experience in building that HL stand alone was nicely used afterwards. I'm glad that even if they aren't selling gangbusters, their games do good enough and get praised enough to keep publishers putting trust on them.

I recently installed Arx Fatalis (with Libertatis patch) and despite its old quirks, it's really fun and "inmersive". I tried playing it years ago, before Dishonored and Prey and now after the docummentary I kind of understand the game better.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Guillermus posted:

I'm glad that even if they aren't selling gangbusters, their games do good enough and get praised enough to keep publishers putting trust on them.

They're owned by Bethesda.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

DatonKallandor posted:

They're owned by Bethesda.

I know and since then, Dishonored 1, 2, Outsider and Prey happened. All of them were amazing but didn't sell THAT much. Hell, they even had resources for Prey: Mooncrash.

Bethesda (publisher, not studios) may do some dumb stuff but they are the only publisher out there trusting on AAA single player experiences.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Witness the unholy amalgamation of demon and machine. The cyberdemon has truly been birthed, and he looks... bloated, I guess.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Croc is good actually (but is better on PC where the graphics aren't wobbling the hell out when using hardware acceleration - though you'll prolly need that mod to add the missing music tracks from the PS1 version).

treat posted:

Witness the unholy amalgamation of demon and machine. The cyberdemon has truly been birthed, and he looks... bloated, I guess.

Don't forget the face hiding in Doom 2 Episode 2's sky:

Looks like Tobias Funke or something.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
so how come no one ever talked about how night dive open sourced SiN back in march?????????

https://github.com/NightDive-Studio/sin-ex-game

ETPC fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 7, 2020

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Oh cool. Didn't realise they did that!

Night Dive have just been the best thing for early FPS games. Managing to rerelease System Shock 2 alone was a herculean effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Night Dive clearing up Blade Runner must’ve been a Herculean effort but not even they could bring back NOLF.