Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Chocobo posted:

So, just to be clear, since CIG declared themselves to be black allies, they've surely taken a zero tolerance stance on racism and have banned the racists from their forums and refunded their pledges, right?

quote:

Oh, it's Malakie. Of course it loving is...

quote:

There are a few more in Evocati just like him and wish they would kick him out. They are the reason CIG created a room to allow them to scream into the void. They also don't seem to have a life outside of SC. They are in there chatting 24/7. Evocati test chat has become a hell of alot better now we can easily ignore them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beet Wagon posted:

Immediately posted on the star citizen subreddit lmao

https://i.imgur.com/wz66m9s.mp4

Oh good. So it's landing on a planet from the new Star Control game. I loved that mini game.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

MilesK posted:

Even before covid broke out, I've struggled with my mental health.

I'm Autistic, ADHD, and have CPTSD, so my outlook on life has always been pretty critical, scattered, and negative.

When covid broke out I made a buddy locally online who loves Star Citizen as much as I do. I didn't have much cause to play on my own, and didn't really know a huge amount about what to do since adventuring alone is inherently and undeniably a sad experience.

Since then, Me and my buddies have gotten fully immersed, I read every blog post, every road map update, I spend my time split between the subreddit, facebook groups, discord chats, and spectrum and I LOVE EVERY MOMENT OF IT!

This community and game is such an amazing thing for someone like me, because I can let my autism run wild with it's obsessive natures, and everyone in the community is like "THAT'S AWESOME, check out this cool thing you can do as well" and it leads to adventure after adventure.

Star Citizen gives me something to be excited about, something to look forward to, something to take part in, and something to help build and I am so thankful for it's existence.

I know we talk a lot about bugs and server disconnects and how long it's taking them, but I just wanted to take a moment to recognize the community around it. You guys loving rule.

See you in the verse <3
am i supposed to laugh at this? i feel a mix of :smith: and :unsmith:

i hope he enjoys his time posting about the game as much as everyone in this thread.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
I hope Star Citizen are freaking out about Elite.

A years old game.

That's often on sale for less than $10 because it's so loving old.

And the devs actually keep supporting it with new content because they're not the most incapable development studio known to man.

Cig is probably that studio, thanks to the level of greed and hubris and the lack of content from them.

The Titanic fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 6, 2020

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

sebmojo posted:

same, friend.

free at last, i'm free at last.

Would have been somewhat interesting to play with a goon. But honestly just trying to play it was a chore.

I wish them the best. Maybe next season I'll come around again or I'll win a ship in a contest I never try for and go all out with the fidelity. I want to open and close drawers nonstop as gameplay.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The Titanic posted:

Oh good. So it's landing on a planet from the new Star Control game. I loved that mini game.
poo poo I forgot about that one. That's from the Bees guy, right? Was it any good?

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

/raffle

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Awesome! posted:

am i supposed to laugh at this? i feel a mix of :smith: and :unsmith:

i hope he enjoys his time posting about the game as much as everyone in this thread.

i think what this guy is doing is all cool & good.
i just hope that he bought a starter package and no more.

certainly cig would not take advantage of this type of person?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Pro click

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU4wyPjHPuU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Bumble He posted:

i think what this guy is doing is all cool & good.
i just hope that he bought a starter package and no more.

certainly cig would not take advantage of this type of person?

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

The Titanic posted:

Would have been somewhat interesting to play with a goon. But honestly just trying to play it was a chore.

I wish them the best. Maybe next season I'll come around again or I'll win a ship in a contest I never try for and go all out with the fidelity. I want to open and close drawers nonstop as gameplay.

if you need a really good space sim fix (and aren't put off by 2d), you should check out star sector (https://fractalsoftworks.com/) for real.

great game, actually a small indie team(!), and an active community with lots of mods. i've wasted prolly 100+ hours in it alone.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I wonder what he's playing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J377tKsMF0I

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Lol :five:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I wonder what he's playing?

His backers

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Where's the Squadron42 video? The game that enters open beta within the next four months.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Trip Report:
Okay so after a couple of days of Star Citizen playing I have reached the point where I never want to look at it again, or at least for another year. What turned it from a relatively dull trade simulator into the most infuriating waking nightmare? Criminal gameplay. Let me detail this shitshow for you:

So I load in, planning to do some trading. I spawn my ship, and point it towards the nearest planet. I've been doing this for a couple of days- buy minerals on the planet, fly across the system, take the trains and elevators through Loreville, and sell at the central business district for nice profits. I'm currently up to about 300k which is nothing but the income is accelerating as I can afford to buy more stuff for each run. Anyway, none of that matters because a man teleports onto my ship as I am flying down through the atmosphere of this planet to land.

Wait, what?

He wasn't there when I took off. I don't know how he got on board. I just receive a message "So-and-so has entered your ship chat" which always indicates somebody else is running around the loving ship. Is this a Star Citizen hack or incredibly bad desync or what? I don't know but I hear doors opening on my ship. Luckily I always pack a loving gun anymore because you never know when something stupid is going to happen, so I sit in the cabin and wait for him to walk in. He does, and I plug him in the head until he jitters and plays the dying animation while floating backwards through a wall. Success! Except wait no, the game thinks I just shot an innocent man! Instant 4-star wanted level. I am now unable to land at any law-abiding station as I'll be shot instantly.

Now, let me educate you about crime stat. You can't suicide to drop it anymore. It does not tick down over time. Once you have that poo poo, there is a literal bounty mission to kill you for any player on the server who enjoys doing that, and if they kill you, you go straight to loving jail for literally hours and hours. It means, essentially, that your play session is over- let yourself be killed, go to jail, and log out because the game's done for the night. The alternative is to buy an expensive one-time-use consumable, fly to a pvp station, and sit there for 15 minutes while the whole server gets another mission to kill you, but if you survive you can clear your filthy crimes. Oh also if you shoot the people coming to kill you? That's also a crime. Basically you can't get rid of it and the rating will just keep climbing until someone kills you.

So I decide to try and do the chip thing. I'm rich, right? An hour or more loving around to get to Grim Hex and find the place that sells the chips, and I finally have one. I fly over to the pvp station to use it and whoah hey pirate NPC's have spawned inside. Thankfully I've still got my gun so I kill them trivially and then spend another 5 minutes fumbling with my inventory trying to get the loving chip to go in the slot. Everything in the inventory system for this game sucks so much rear end, it's amazing. I finally get it in and the timer begins ticking. I hear somebody QT in, and begin shooting up my ship- welp, there goes my cargo and about 2/3rds of all of my money! I crouch down on the stairs and prepare to shoot the guy when he comes in, but OOPS the act of crouching on stairs is too much for Star Citizen to handle and my character shits himself and dies instantly. Yep- no shots fired, no damage, just instant death because I crouched on an inclined plane. I instantly lose the 8-thousand-credit hacking chip and whatever progress it had made.

I wake up in Grim Hex, still with a 4 star wanted rating, and decide to spawn my freebie fighter and sit just outside the station until some motherfucker kills me. Unfortunately I've really overestimated the competence of the bounty hunting players. I fight and beat two of them in incredibly protracted battles because my ship has poo poo for guns and their ships have infinite shields but can't turn to target me, leading me to just kind of sandpaper them down over time. Finally a third guy gets me and I finally, finally go to jail. It's been like 2 hours at this point. My jail sentence is 6+ hours for the 3 "Unprovoked" murders of the guy who teleported on my ship and the 2 guys who came to kill me specifically and shot first. That's 6 real-time hours before I'm allowed to leave the jail. Or I can mine to reduce my sentence.

I decide to try the mining-for-release thing from jail because why not, in for a penny in for a pound at this point. Let me tell you, I've rarely regretted a decision as much as I came to regret that one. First off: you have about 15 minutes of oxygen, and the caves are endless and not marked well, so good loving luck getting in and out. Second: they turned the gravity in the caves WAY down which might sound fun at first but this is Star Citizen so what it means is that if you sprint, your spaceman will hit small rocks and just loving blast into the air, floating around like a pingpong ball for multiple seconds. You have to RP walk in the mining caves, air ticking down the whole time. Also your hunger and thirst meters- those didn't like, go away or anything. You cannot of course see which rocks are mineable, unless you have the multi-tool out, in which case they only highlight if you point right at them, so you pretty much need to know which rocks work in advance. Last but not least once you mine a rock it'll break into about 8 shards, and you need to F->Inspect->F->Stow every single one, one at a time, which is the most infuriating thing ever because half the time the prompts don't work and your character just drops the loving rock back on the ground. Also every single time I picked a rock up I would drop the multi-tool, causing it to glitch, and I'd have to go into my equipment and unequip/re-equip it multiple times to get it functional again. Every. Single. Time.

So yeah the mining sucks poo poo but hey at least I have enough rocks to knock my sentence down, right? HAHA gently caress YOU THIS IS STAR CITIZEN shouts the anti-fun gremlin that lives at the cold black heart of this product. My 30 minutes or whatever of mining has produced enough rock to reduce my sentence by just about... 30 minutes! Only 5 hours left to go! See it turns out that there are different "Tiers" of mineable rock and the most common is completely worthless trash. If you want to knock substantial time off you'll have to sprint deep into the maze of caves and mine the rarest type of ore before you run out of oxygen and even then you'd probably need to spend about an hour doing it to get rid of a 6 hour sentence. So obviously gently caress that, I log off.

Final thoughts: I'm now completely convinced- somebody at CIG is actively sabotaging the project. There was not a single part of tonight's gameplay where I was in control of the process. Through a completely unintended bug I entered into a loop of increasing criminality, a situation that was wholly inescapable except through dying and going to the prison which is possibly the worst experience I've had in Star Citizen to-date and that is saying something. It wasn't bad because of bugs (though there were plenty), it was bad because it felt like a punishment. Like somebody making the game had decided that "Bad guys shouldn't enjoy themselves" and set out to make that a reality. It's absolutely insane. I've never played a game that actually seemed to believe that the person doing criminal gameplay was undeserving of having fun but that seems to be where Star Citizen is at. Holy gently caress what a miserable experience. The truly maddening part is that this wasn't a one-time experience. This is the loop they intend to have happen any time you commit a crime in the game. Literally any activity that they deem unacceptable is going to be a game-ruining experience for the player, forever. How many times do they think a normal human being is going to sit through this before they walk away and never look back? The correct answer is of course, "Exactly once."

Anyway gently caress this game forever

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jun 6, 2020

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Sarsapariller posted:

Through a completely unintended bug I entered into a loop of increasing criminality, a situation that was wholly inescapable except through dying and going to the prison which is possibly the worst experience I've had

It's the perfect US social, medical and criminal justice system simulator...

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

tuo posted:

Where's the Squadron42 video? The game that enters open beta within the next four months.

Feel free to chose your explanation:

quote:

They are still developing the tools to edit that video, don't rush them it has never been done before.

quote:

When someone gives you $46 million to spend on advertising, you can edit the same video for years!

quote:

Uh, I don't know if you guys are aware of this, but there is a global pandemic going on. And it's having a major effect on video editing.

quote:

The tier 0 Squadron video didn’t get to Evocati, as internal QA downchecked it. The team tried a hotfix and it made it to the roadmap, but further review led to the pillar leads deciding it didn’t meet the quality bar for the patch, so It’s been postponed until the new teir 1 implementation is ready, and they’re eager to share the new date with us as soon as practicable. Keep an eye on Spectrum for more updates.

quote:

Have you answered the call? Maybe you missed the call? I mean there are persons on the planet wich have played all the missions back in 2016. Maybe we have to pledge another million or two? I think one of the blue pixel wasn’t right it should be a red pixel that’s why editing a video is taking that long. Have I mentioned that you maybe have to pledge more?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

The Titanic posted:

I hope Star Citizen are freaking out about Elite.

A years old game.

That's often on sale for less than $10 because it's so loving old.

Kickstarted late 2012
Pre-release test version late 2013
Went live 2014

Weirdly Star Citizen’s kickstarter also happened late 2012, and it’s initial launch was also slated for late 2014. It’s weird to think that, if you removed all the hubris from the development team and the initial backers, we’d probably have a perfectly serviceable space shooty-tradey game: something that in a different universe I’d probably have played through a couple of times and had fun with.

Instead, we got something roughly analogous to the Vietnam War; An expensive, interminable cauldron of poor decisions and wasted opportunities, marred by incompetent leadership and inflated figures, that no one really wanted or asked for.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Aqua Seafoam Shame posted:

Have to say I just fired up Elite after a long time without playing and I find myself enjoying it more than I expected, given the general hostility towards in on this thread. Sure, you have to use your imagination a lot to immerse yourself in it, but that reminds me of the old DOS days, when most games were like that to some degree or another. Besides, if this alternative is having to actually walk a character around to perform basic tasks, a la SC, I know I prefer elite's version.

Sure, having a walky-man is fun as well, but not everything has to be a Ubisoft or Rock Star game. Just show me some cool space stuff and let my imagination do the rest, and I'm pretty good. Throw in some progression mechanics and I have stuff to do. How bad is that, really?

Counterpoint: Elite sucks balls.

Although it is a game and it is finished so there is that.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

MedicineHut posted:

Counterpoint: Elite sucks balls.

(7,539 hours played)

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

sebmojo posted:

(7,539 hours played)

Forgot launcher open for sure.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Sarsapariller posted:

Trip Report:

I crouch down on the stairs and prepare to shoot the guy when he comes in, but OOPS the act of crouching on stairs is too much for Star Citizen to handle and my character shits himself and dies instantly.

:five:

Your crime was playing Star Citizen

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

Sarsapariller posted:

Trip Report:

Anyway gently caress this game forever

A well told tale. It was like being there.

Which was horrible.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

sebmojo posted:

(7,539 hours played)

time spent thinking 'sure this sucks now, but once I can afford that new ship the game will open up and *then* it will be fun!': 7,538.5 hours
time spent actually having fun: the first 30 minutes

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

toiletbrush posted:

time spent thinking 'sure this sucks now, but once I can afford that new ship the game will open up and *then* it will be fun!': 7,538.5 hours

That seems to be a pattern on Steam. Like if you go to the Fallout 4 page, the most scathing reviews are often from people with 500+ hours in the game.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

"I am posting this here so I can avoid linking this to my actual SC account"

Very brave, commando.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

had me at "army veteran"
that bio could be satire

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Dementropy posted:

"I am posting this here so I can avoid linking this to my actual SC account"

Very brave, commando.

Like I know Chris has some dumb fetish for space fascism, but at the end of the day CIG is made up of your stereotypical West Coast techies. They’re not going to give these idiots some far right fantasy world full of space plantations and sex dungeons.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
Just a reminder. In December of 2018, Dean Takahashi of Venturebeat broke the story transcribed CIG’s bullcrap about CIG’s “remarkable...transparency” while also announcing a Summer 2020 release of Squadron 42...

December 2018:

VENTUREBEAT: Star Citizen creator Cloud Imperium Games raised $46 million to launch big game in 2020

quote:

Star Citizen‘s coffers just got bigger, as its parent company has raised an additional $46 million in venture capital, in addition to the $211 million in crowdfunding it has brought in over the past five years from 2.2 million fans. On top of that, it’s also releasing its financial history and announcing that its science fiction game, Squadron 42, will launch in the summer 2020.

It is perhaps the most extraordinary release of information about a major game in progress that I have ever seen, driven in part by regulations in the United Kingdom as well as the company’s own desire to be transparent with and crowdfunding participants who want more information. All for a game that creator Chris Roberts says he always wanted to create. This data is exactly what I wished I had when I was assessing the costs and revenues for Rockstar Games’ Red Dead Redemption 2.

The CEO of Cloud Imperium Games and Roberts Space Industries, Roberts said in an interview with GamesBeat that the funding for Cloud Imperium Group comes from Clive Calder (his “family office”) and Keith Calder’s Snoot Entertainment, who are well-known figures in the United Kingdom music business. Under the deal, the investors will own 10 percent of Cloud Imperium, and Roberts will still retain control of the company and hold 75 percent ownership. The post-money valuation of the company is $496 million. Not many game companies ever get to this kind of valuation, especially those that haven’t yet released a game.

The result is a remarkable amount of transparency behind one of the biggest projects under way in the game industry, and it is fitting as fans, crowdfunders, and skeptics have been asking more information from Cloud Imperium Games for a while. Roberts said he believed the best strategy is to be as transparent as possible with fans.

It is now Summer 2020. Not only is Squadron not released, it has not moved to beta. It has stopped providing roadmap updates, even as the last ones provided showed progress all but frozen for more than half a year. They are floundering in efforts to even provide a video update about it. They had apparently completed one, yet “it just wasn’t up their standards” and was sent back to the drawing board - a fact that suggests Chris Roberts is micromanaging it himself. While he prefers to micromanage superficialities like ”Snoopy Caps!”, this time is different. They’ve got goalposts to move.

It will surely include some dazzling new cinematics and new guidance with new release hopes. Compliant gaming press lackeys will do their duty to help Chris shape an exciting new new narrative about release, all built on the crumbling ruins of the older “new new” narrative Takahashi helped build in December 2018.

And in spite of all of these telltale signs of development hell, Clive Calder’s team apparently have so much confidence in that which we haven’t seen that they’ve added millions more to their initial $46 million dollars in investment, investments we were originally told (with “remarkable...transparency”) would be used to market the game as befits any major AAA release.

I’m starting to think maybe, just maybe, there’s something slightly weird about all this...

HorseBodyInspector
Dec 14, 2018

toiletbrush posted:

This purely theoretical person must be very dense, playing and not realising for 7,538.5 hours that game sucks.

edit: it is equivalent rewatching movie 15 times to realise that you don't like this movie

HorseBodyInspector fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 6, 2020

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

I am quite sure I have also seen the logo somewhere before, basically 100 % the same. Can't remember where it was, though

It's generic enough to possibly have been the flag symbol of some civilization in some older space strategy game, or the corporation logo in something like the Capitalism games :shrug:

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i played road rash 3D on the ps1 today for 1 hour and i decided that i still love it!

(dont hate on me i announced my shitpost yesterday and i am in time)

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

In fairness, DCS actually has a flight model.

Greepers are very Star Citizeny; they started charging for tuition.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KApcLd5c33Q

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Torquemada posted:

Instead, we got something roughly analogous to the Vietnam War; An expensive, interminable cauldron of poor decisions and wasted opportunities, marred by incompetent leadership and inflated figures, that no one really wanted or asked for.

Well, the good news is we can update the references to the Afghan war, and add the point that nobody is quite sure what the initial thing was about, or how you define success at this juncture.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

:toot:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

EDDIE PARR!!!! :argh:

On a side note, the one thing they are able to do, mocap and make character models seems to be the hardest job in the world with this mission giver

He has slid from 3.7, 3.8, 3.9, and now 3.10

The first mention I can find is here; https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/spectrum-dispatch/17238-Roadmap-Roundup-September-13th-2019

But god knows how long it is taking them to make ONE SINGLE NPC character

Blue On Blue fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 6, 2020

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
Maybe he's hard to Mocap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

I know the game is rear end, but why are the trains always completely empty? Surely they can have NPS just sitting there staring blankly forward at the very least?