Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Still not the last one huh?

He's getting into the three early battles of The Coral Sea, Midway, and Guadalcanal. He leaves off midway through Guadalcanal for reasons I don't understand.
You could skip the first hour and lose pretty much nothing, sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I loved HH a few years ago when his subject matter had significantly more variety, but in the meantime so many other interesting history podcasts have popped up that Carlin just kind of feels like listening to a middle-aged dad ramble on about WWI and WWII in excruciating detail for hours and hours at a time.

If that's your thing I totally get it, but being sick of the world wars being the main focus of history classes, The History Channel, and online history discussion for years is why I started getting interested in history podcasts in the first place. Carlin is really talented, but I wish he was more interested in less popular material, even if he is more nuanced in his telling than most.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jun 5, 2020

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

VanSandman posted:

You could skip the first hour and lose pretty much nothing, sadly.
You could post that about almost any Carlin episode

I bounced off Supernova in the East really hard during episode one because the first hour or so is just him rambling about HONOR and the GLORIOUS NIPPON SOLDIER that came off a little cringey. Does it get better?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

COOL CORN posted:

I bounced off Supernova in the East really hard during episode one because the first hour or so is just him rambling about HONOR and the GLORIOUS NIPPON SOLDIER that came off a little cringey. Does it get better?

Yeah, it does. And these rants begin to make some sense when he finally gets into the actual war stuff, it does provide context for how Japan as a country acted during these times, the rant is basically describing that particular culture. But yeah Carlin does it in his own special Carlin way.

I'll get around to this at some point but I feel like I don't have the stamina for it now. Maybe I'll go back in the HH library and listen to some of the older episodes.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

VanSandman posted:

He's getting into the three early battles of The Coral Sea, Midway, and Guadalcanal. He leaves off midway through Guadalcanal for reasons I don't understand.

He mentioned on Twitter he's going to yadda yadda yadda a lot of island hopping because a lot of them are basically the same story over and over.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I just hope he comes good on the promise of all the MacArthur yadda yadda because as an Australian I have views on the New Guinea campaign and beyond and his particular trajectory is fascinating and awful.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

feedmyleg posted:

I loved HH a few years ago when his subject matter had significantly more variety, but in the meantime so many other interesting history podcasts have popped up that Carlin just kind of feels like listening to a middle-aged dad ramble on about WWI and WWII in excruciating detail for hours and hours at a time.

If that's your thing I totally get it, but being sick of the world wars being the main focus of history classes, The History Channel, and online history discussion for years is why I started getting interested in history podcasts in the first place. Carlin is really talented, but I wish he was more interested in less popular material, even if he is more nuanced in his telling than most.

I kinda feel this way too. I'd love for him to just do a year or two of one-offs. Outside of the ancient Roman or Mongol series his longer multi-part stuff kinda leaves me cold. I love stuff like Radical Thoughts, Prophets of Doom, Thor's Angels, Destroyer of Worlds, etc. He tends to play around with concepts more when it's subject matter he knows he won't revisit for a while, if ever.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I kinda feel this way too. I'd love for him to just do a year or two of one-offs. Outside of the ancient Roman or Mongol series his longer multi-part stuff kinda leaves me cold. I love stuff like Radical Thoughts, Prophets of Doom, Thor's Angels, Destroyer of Worlds, etc. He tends to play around with concepts more when it's subject matter he knows he won't revisit for a while, if ever.

Yeah, this is my opinion as well, though I did enjoy King of Kings

But yeah, I'd love more oddball picks, I've seen a million WW2 docs, I know this story.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Agreed about HH really shining when it does one off's. King of King's was good imo because it almost felt like a series of one-off episodes in the same time period.

I also think Dan's style just hasn't evolved very much over the years and is now being passed readily by some incredibly well produced podcasts. Compared to Revolutions or Fall of Civilizations it feels like its much less focused and has less of control of it's narrative. This may stem from the length though. Dan might actually benefit from doing a series of smaller 30 minute episodes where he has to focus on a single element of the topic for a little bit as opposed to re-referencing the same sources on MacArthur seven times in a 4 hour span.

Omnicarus fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 6, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
While we're on the subject of quasi-episodic history podcasts, just want to talk up The Pirate History Podcast which I've really been enjoying. It's got a terrific narrative flow to it, where it's chronological on a macro level but shifts in and out of different eras, locales, crews, and subject matters organically and at an ideal pace. The host does just the right amount of editorializing to keep the subjects feeling very human despite throwing a lot of names and places and conflicts at you. It's good.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

feedmyleg posted:

I think a big problem is that we all love Carlin's style and research ethic but Jesus Christ he started Supernova in the East two years ago. He's done 16 episodes in nearly 7 years and 10 of them were WWI or WWII. Even the Destroyer of Worlds Blitz was about the fallout from WWII's development of the nuke. There are thousands of years of history and he has spent almost every episode since October 2013 kicking around in two of the most well-covered events in human history. His slow release schedule is cute until you honestly get tired of what he's talking about. I might not finish Part 4 of Supernova in the East.

Addendum was supposed to fix this but it got the Dan Carlin Release Schedule treatment and became an interview show

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 6, 2020

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
It's that slow schedule and the release of large indigestible lumps of story that's driven me away from Carlin. Even hour-long chunks would be a lot better but I have to listen to part of it, fall asleep during it or forget where I got to, restart or work out where I got to, realise I've lost track of what was happening ... then 4-6 months later a new episode appears and I've forgotten what happened before.

Basically, Carlin is the George RR Martin of history podcasts.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I like Duncan's approach so much better

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I liked the early Super Nova in the Easts because they were coming at it from the Japan side of things society-wise which was pretty interesting, but was really bored hearing Carlin talking about how bad rear end marines were for 2 hours in the new one.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

nonathlon posted:

It's that slow schedule and the release of large indigestible lumps of story that's driven me away from Carlin. Even hour-long chunks would be a lot better but I have to listen to part of it, fall asleep during it or forget where I got to, restart or work out where I got to, realise I've lost track of what was happening ... then 4-6 months later a new episode appears and I've forgotten what happened before.

Basically, Carlin is the George RR Martin of history podcasts.

he should break it up and release shorter bits as separate shows on a weekly schedule, like the new season of a tv show. would improve accessibility considerably.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

COOL CORN posted:

IMO, the first episode is listenable, the other ones have not been. I haven't listened to the latest one, but if the first two hours are jacking off to the Marines then no thank you.

And IMO the interesting thing about the first episode was giving the Japanese perspective of "holy poo poo those losers who just fell into a civil war wiped the floor with us, and Russia is bulldozing in our direction through China. We need to start doing imperialism before we get imperialized."

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Why listen to hardcore history when you can just let the YouTube algorithm feed you videos like “11 badass weapons you WOULDNT want to mess with”

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
YouTube has been serving me up some terrific stuff on ancient history lately. It's been more engaging than most history podcasts. Or, rather, they feel like great short history podcast episodes set to very pleasant stock footage and the occasional graph or illustration. But I'm probably enjoying the algorithm only because ancient history has less of a military aspect to it so YouTube can't start serving me up right-wing video content too.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

feedmyleg posted:

YouTube has been serving me up some terrific stuff on ancient history lately. It's been more engaging than most history podcasts. Or, rather, they feel like great short history podcast episodes set to very pleasant stock footage and the occasional graph or illustration. But I'm probably enjoying the algorithm only because ancient history has less of a military aspect to it so YouTube can't start serving me up right-wing video content too.

well cmon and post them bro

its funny you mention it because i got recommended a YT series on ancient britian. kinda dry though.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

I liked the early Super Nova in the Easts because they were coming at it from the Japan side of things society-wise which was pretty interesting, but was really bored hearing Carlin talking about how bad rear end marines were for 2 hours in the new one.

Yeah somebody complained about it earlier in the thread but I actually really appreciated that Carlin took the time to really explore just what Japan was as a nation by the time the dominoes for WW2 started to fall. Honestly the most fascinating part of the whole Supernova series to me was the details on how Japan went through one of if not the most comprehensive and rapid societal overhauls in recorded human history. Like, a late medieval equivalent to a modern imperialist nation in <100 years, how a people endure that and how it in someways strengthens them but in others warps them is fascinating. I was kinda hoping the series was going to be more about that: WW2 from Japan's perspective, with more of a focus on the parts of the war that were considered crucial to them (China, Russia) but as soon as we got to Pearl Harbor it just became the US Pacific Theater show, which is a story I've hear told and retold a billion times. I was worried after he spent like an hour and a half of the last episode jerking off MacArthur, and this new episode has at least so far locked the rest of the series firmly into "Grandpa tells you a story about how brave and valiant and badass the US Marines were in the Pacific."

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

buglord posted:

well cmon and post them bro

Recent ones I've been enjoying:

Stefan Milo
North 02
Moth Light Media

But may be a little further back than this thread might want to go, since a lot of it is origins of man kind of stuff. In fact, Moth Light is mostly prehistoric animals. Still, worth a watch if that's up your alley.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 7, 2020

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

not sure how many francophones are in this thread, but i'm trying to get my french back up to snuff and want to branch out from listening to france24 and RFI streams. what are some historical/informational french-language podcasts you guys would recommend? ideally along the lines of french history, foreign policy, conflict journalism, or EU politics. the podcasts i've liked in english include revolutions, SRB podcast, war college, FP first person, popular front, and some of the new books network channels.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I don't reeeeaally speak french but I'm on again off again on trying, and I'm subscribed to le monde's podcast.

And "learn french with daily podcasts" but it turns out I personally would rather understand 20% of lemonde while driving to work than actually, you know, study, so I keep deleting those episodes, whoops!

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 9, 2020

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Karenina posted:

not sure how many francophones are in this thread, but i'm trying to get my french back up to snuff and want to branch out from listening to france24 and RFI streams. what are some historical/informational french-language podcasts you guys would recommend? ideally along the lines of french history, foreign policy, conflict journalism, or EU politics. the podcasts i've liked in english include revolutions, SRB podcast, war college, FP first person, popular front, and some of the new books network channels.

I listened to France Culture for a while and they'll have some rather good series at times. I particularly liked one they did on the Cold War and another on hit songs. I may have mentioned it somewhere in my post history. They can get INCREDIBLY pretentious though. Check their general umbrella of programs and maybe something will spark your fancy. This stuff isn't easy easy to listen to at times (high school French won't cut it), but if you can watch movies in French and manage more or less this should be fine.

OLD POST referencing what I'm talking about. I can't find the program on my podcast app, but the link is still up.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

There's 46 episodes at this point, at 8 minutes each, and they seem to be embedded in the larger La Fabrique d'histoire podcast by France Culture.

This is the link for the Cold War episodes themselves. The larger podcast is history related and has a different program depending on the day, the Cold War stuff is a Monday exclusive.

I haven't heard it yet, but France Culture, and France Radio by extension, is pretty top-notch if dry.

My brother-in-law has recommended Culture 2000 to me, but I've yet to listen to it. It is definitely historical and cultural, but not necessarily just about France. Just looking through the archives they have an episode on the Byzantine Empire, the Great Lakes of Africa, and Pirates. He's really into podcasts and I'd say has generally good taste so I imagine this one is pretty good.

I'm personally still looking for the Lexicon Valley equivalent for French and/or Spanish in those languages if possible, but English will do too.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Sydin posted:

Yeah somebody complained about it earlier in the thread but I actually really appreciated that Carlin took the time to really explore just what Japan was as a nation by the time the dominoes for WW2 started to fall. Honestly the most fascinating part of the whole Supernova series to me was the details on how Japan went through one of if not the most comprehensive and rapid societal overhauls in recorded human history. Like, a late medieval equivalent to a modern imperialist nation in <100 years, how a people endure that and how it in someways strengthens them but in others warps them is fascinating. I was kinda hoping the series was going to be more about that: WW2 from Japan's perspective, with more of a focus on the parts of the war that were considered crucial to them (China, Russia) but as soon as we got to Pearl Harbor it just became the US Pacific Theater show, which is a story I've hear told and retold a billion times. I was worried after he spent like an hour and a half of the last episode jerking off MacArthur, and this new episode has at least so far locked the rest of the series firmly into "Grandpa tells you a story about how brave and valiant and badass the US Marines were in the Pacific."

If you are interested in that sort of thing, you need to listen to the History of Japan podcast. They have several amazing mini-series about how Meiji Japan transformed into the crazy train that stormed into WW2, such as the segment on the emperor's own and the segment on an unnatural intimacy.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

While we're on the subject of quasi-episodic history podcasts, just want to talk up The Pirate History Podcast which I've really been enjoying. It's got a terrific narrative flow to it, where it's chronological on a macro level but shifts in and out of different eras, locales, crews, and subject matters organically and at an ideal pace. The host does just the right amount of editorializing to keep the subjects feeling very human despite throwing a lot of names and places and conflicts at you. It's good.

I'm enjoying this, thank you.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

If you're enjoying the last couple episodes of Inward Empire, I binged through the podcast that the host recommended at the end of the last episode -- Shadows of Utopia -- and it's really good. It's a Khmer/Cambodian history podcast that touches on a lot of the corners that this thread seems to appreciate; there's two episodes about the Khmer Empire that kind of touch on the overlapping Fall of Civilizations episode (but with less of a "why did Angkor Wat specifically fail?" angle), the episodes about early colonialism have a great Behind the Bastards-esque saga about a couple conquistadors really loving everything up while looking for mythical gold mines, there's a couple episodes about Marxist theory with an eye towards the Khmer Rouge that more succinctly rehashes a bunch of the recent season of Revolutions, and the most recent episode that just dropped covers World War II and dovetails nicely with the SUPERNOVA IN THE EAST episodes without bringing up Chuck Norris, Batman, or Darth Vader.

A+ would recommend; it's probably become my favorite non-fiction podcast (especially with Revolutions going on hiatus).

EDIT: also if you liked Uncivil, I just stumbled into Scene on Radio and the former cohost of Uncivil (Chenjerai Kumanyika) is co-producing the current season, which is about race in America. It's not quite the same as Uncivil since it's more concerned with going through the entire history of the US but it still takes a pretty similar anecdote-based approach to storytelling (the Civil Rights movement episode is largely about Freedom Summer, then in turn that spends a plurality of the episode talking about Fannie Lou Harmer).

Cockblocktopus fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 14, 2020

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Cockblocktopus posted:

If you're enjoying the last couple episodes of Inward Empire, I binged through the podcast that the host recommended at the end of the last episode -- Shadows of Utopia -- and it's really good. It's a Khmer/Cambodian history podcast that touches on a lot of the corners that this thread seems to appreciate; there's two episodes about the Khmer Empire that kind of touch on the overlapping Fall of Civilizations episode (but with less of a "why did Angkor Wat specifically fail?" angle), the episodes about early colonialism have a great Behind the Bastards-esque saga about a couple conquistadors really loving everything up while looking for mythical gold mines, there's a couple episodes about Marxist theory with an eye towards the Khmer Rouge that more succinctly rehashes a bunch of the recent season of Revolutions, and the most recent episode that just dropped covers World War II and dovetails nicely with the SUPERNOVA IN THE EAST episodes without bringing up Chuck Norris, Batman, or Darth Vader.

This looks like exactly the horrifying level of atrocity i like to listen to as I fall asleep, and I'd just been looking for something new to go through.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Erwin posted:

I'm enjoying this, thank you.

I listened to the first few episodes yesterday and am also enjoying the Pirate podcast. I might try getting the kids interested in it; most of my other podcasts are either too dry for them, uninteresting (sports stuff), or a lot more languagey than I'm comfortable putting on around them

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I listened to France Culture for a while and they'll have some rather good series at times. I particularly liked one they did on the Cold War and another on hit songs. I may have mentioned it somewhere in my post history. They can get INCREDIBLY pretentious though. Check their general umbrella of programs and maybe something will spark your fancy. This stuff isn't easy easy to listen to at times (high school French won't cut it), but if you can watch movies in French and manage more or less this should be fine.

OLD POST referencing what I'm talking about. I can't find the program on my podcast app, but the link is still up.

My brother-in-law has recommended Culture 2000 to me, but I've yet to listen to it. It is definitely historical and cultural, but not necessarily just about France. Just looking through the archives they have an episode on the Byzantine Empire, the Great Lakes of Africa, and Pirates. He's really into podcasts and I'd say has generally good taste so I imagine this one is pretty good.

I'm personally still looking for the Lexicon Valley equivalent for French and/or Spanish in those languages if possible, but English will do too.

thanks for this! it sounds right up my alley

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It's been a ride the last few weeks watching Patrick Wyman become increasingly radicalized by the various protests, and how that anger is driving him to only ramp up both his research reading and cardio regime.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
He can join Mike Duncan and they can begin applying their signature styles to recent history like policing in the US south. Give me a first person perspective cut away to a black man fleeing Mississippi in the 1930's , warmth of other suns style.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

https://twitter.com/Patrick_Wyman/status/1273348628057190406

Sounds like he has his priorities in order at least, I'm looking forward to when he gets started on Prehistory.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Speaking of, anyone have any prehistory podcast recommendations? I've got Origin Stories, Living in the Stone Age, The Stone Age Podcast, and debatably The History of the World in 100 Objects. But I believe all of them are long dead.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Patrick Wyman is great and is definitely filling the Mike Duncan-shaped hole in my heart right now. Funny how these internet-famous historians keep turning into different types of leftists in our current political climate!

Jack B Nimble posted:

He can join Mike Duncan and they can begin applying their signature styles to recent history like policing in the US south. Give me a first person perspective cut away to a black man fleeing Mississippi in the 1930's , warmth of other suns style.

Duncan has been on at least one episode of Tides, a joint project between the two would be :krad:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I know Mike Duncan talked about possibly doing a history of the American political party systems in the US before he did Revolutions, but I'd really love to see that one from him now. It seems like it would be very fun and I could finally understand what the gently caress a Whig was

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

The Glumslinger posted:

I know Mike Duncan talked about possibly doing a history of the American political party systems in the US before he did Revolutions, but I'd really love to see that one from him now. It seems like it would be very fun and I could finally understand what the gently caress a Whig was

Fake hair you wear on top of your head but that's not important right now.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Is Tides of History still locked behind a subscription, or at least a good bit of it? That and ad reads was what prevented me from getting into it when I tried some time ago, but hearing Wyman on other stuff I bet I’d enjoy it. Maybe I’m remembering wrong

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I actually stopped listening because of how bad the ad reads were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I just skip them manually, they are annoying but not enough to make me stop listening.