Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

cheese eats mouse posted:

My scale was damaged in my move so I I guess this is a good time to upgrade. Is this the go-to or are there better ones?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VEKX35Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_3eS2EbNYQ89KY

This one is great I used to use one in a place I worked at. If it can stand up to heavy commercial use it'll be good for the home kitchen.
My current scale I have at home still works but when it finally dies I'm getting one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

My scale was damaged in my move so I I guess this is a good time to upgrade. Is this the go-to or are there better ones?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VEKX35Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_3eS2EbNYQ89KY

Ha that’s the current one that broke. But ya it was good for years and years. Wish it came in stainless

I have both of these scales and I have no real complaints with either. If I could only have one I'd probably pick the "My Weigh" one because it's easier to read with oddly shaped loads.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Yesterday I went to the windmill again to get me some flours and got me some yeast from them as my sourdough project failed and the supermarket yeast I had was running low.
Upon coming home, I checked the due date on the yeast I had, they were all past, some over a year. Hmmmm, good thing I bought new, that one is good for at least another two years. 125gr, baking a bread every week using an avg of 5gr, yeah, I might be able to finish it. In the evening I put up a slow ferment, high hydration, no-knead in a bowl.
This morning I came down into the kitchen and it was like I stepped into a brewery! This is very active, beer smelling yeast! Not complaining, I wonder about the taste as I still have to bake it, next post will be a crumb shot and taste report.

edit update!: The bread is in the oven and the house smells of bread and beer. It should be done just in time for lunch.

Keetron fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jun 6, 2020

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

After a week of f5ing the see if wheat was finally back in stock at my nearest mill I've just ordered 10lb of freshly ground whole wheat flour, shipped, for 47 dollars. It better blow my drat mind. I haven't seen a bag of whole wheat flour for sale irl since February.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

poverty goat posted:

After a week of f5ing the see if wheat was finally back in stock at my nearest mill I've just ordered 10lb of freshly ground whole wheat flour, shipped, for 47 dollars. It better blow my drat mind. I haven't seen a bag of whole wheat flour for sale irl since February.

lol boy do i feel less dumb about the sub-$100 20kilo bag of heritage grain i just bought

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I've never had freshly ground flour before, and he gets all sappy in tartine bread about how amazing fresh ground whole wheat flour is so I took the plunge, but I'll have to suck it up and get back into the 50lb game if this nonsense drags on. I have a history with 50lb bags of flour, and pantry moths. gently caress moths.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

poverty goat posted:

I've never had freshly ground flour before, and he gets all sappy in tartine bread about how amazing fresh ground whole wheat flour is so I took the plunge, but I'll have to suck it up and get back into the 50lb game if this nonsense drags on. I have a history with 50lb bags of flour, and pantry moths. gently caress moths.

gently caress tartine but yeah fresh flour is really nice.

also: totally bag that stuff up. you can get 5-gal food safe buckets and add oxygen absorbers or just bag and put in a freezer that doesn't auto-defrost.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Got up this morning, tucked Foodbod's sourdough into its banneton into the fridge, put together a waffle sponge for supper. It's the most peaceful part of my day. I still need to work on transferring the bulk rise to the banneton without compressing the bubbles.

KA's waffle recipe says to "let rise at cool room temperature, 65-70." My fellow Americans, you are weird. That's just room temperature; in fact, in winter we have the thermostat set to 65.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Got up this morning, tucked Foodbod's sourdough into its banneton into the fridge, put together a waffle sponge for supper. It's the most peaceful part of my day. I still need to work on transferring the bulk rise to the banneton without compressing the bubbles.

KA's waffle recipe says to "let rise at cool room temperature, 65-70." My fellow Americans, you are weird. That's just room temperature; in fact, in winter we have the thermostat set to 65.

Since it’s summer my thermostat is set to 77. Anything lower would burn out my AC since we’re hitting triple digits outside.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Democratic Pirate posted:

Since it’s summer my thermostat is set to 77. Anything lower would burn out my AC since we’re hitting triple digits outside.

Yeah, my AC can only keep the room in the high 70s in the really bad days of summer.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

I made a thing, it was okee, I think at 75-80% hydration it was a bit hard to handle.

A few weeks ago I discovered there is a real stone grinding windmill some 12K from my house, so I went and for rye, white wheat and wholegrain wheat flour. The rye to make into a sourdough starter and it started great but at like day 4 it would not bubble up anymore like it did on day 3 and started to smell like paint thinner. I kept it up, tried feeding a bit more but could it be the natural yeast is just so string it needs only two days to become a working starter? It bubbled up to
almost twice the size when in the jar.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

As the acidity rises in a new starter there is some turnover in which strains of yeast will thrive. My guess is you've had good yeast action but they aren't the right yeast to survive in the acidic environment you're fostering, yet. Keep feeding it and they should come around.

E: I looked into this a long time ago and didn't find much, but now that times are hard, are there any good cheap/diy options for milling your own flour?

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 6, 2020

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Keetron posted:

I made a thing, it was okee, I think at 75-80% hydration it was a bit hard to handle.

A few weeks ago I discovered there is a real stone grinding windmill some 12K from my house, so I went and for rye, white wheat and wholegrain wheat flour. The rye to make into a sourdough starter and it started great but at like day 4 it would not bubble up anymore like it did on day 3 and started to smell like paint thinner. I kept it up, tried feeding a bit more but could it be the natural yeast is just so string it needs only two days to become a working starter? It bubbled up to
almost twice the size when in the jar.

I’ve had starters that worked after 3 days. If you’re dealing with fresh rye less is possible, I’m sure.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Not pro level aeration or anything, but pretty pleased with the oven spring this morning. I probably should have fed my starter Bosco a day or two more out of the fridge because the sour flavor is a bit muted. Not going to complain though.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

Not pro level aeration or anything, but pretty pleased with the oven spring this morning. I probably should have fed my starter Bosco a day or two more out of the fridge because the sour flavor is a bit muted. Not going to complain though.
Y

Looks good to me. “Good” aeration is entirely subjective and frankly I’m not nearly as big a fan of big bubbles as some are.

Generally long, cold ferments will get you some good sours; another option is to do a pre-ferment in the fridge for a couple of days.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Chad Sexington posted:

Crumb looks perfect.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
https://i.imgur.com/S9nu9e9.jpg

Kumera bread was a tentative success

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Pizza trip report.

No photos this time.

I have a big weber kettle (22"?) and a baking steel. So I decided to have fun and gin up a pizza oven with ~9 fire bricks in a rough U shape with some on the grate and the pizza steel over the top. I put the lid over that to capture the heat, cocked slightly backwards to make the opening larger.

That part worked pretty well.

What didn't work well is that I used a 70% hydration dough. 500g AP flour, 350g water, 1/8th tsp of instant yeast and roughly 20g of salt (not measured). Mix, fold after half an hour and into a 100 F oven (proof setting monitored with an accurate digital thermometer, it stayed at 98-100 the whole time), for ~3 hours until doubled in size and nice and bubbley. After that I shaped into 4 balls and put in the fridge for 3 hours, pulled and allowed to come to room temp for an hour and shaped into pizza rounds.

Unfortunately, it was way too sticky and I couldn't get it off of my aluminum peel. I ended up cooking the first pizza on the peel directly and it stuck, a lot.

The next two pizzas were made on aluminum baking trays and again they stuck a lot.

But considering that the pizzas didn't go right onto hot bricks the crusts did cook pretty well, had a nice chew and was quite delicious. The pizza steel on top worked well, reflecting and providing a ton of heat to the top of the pizzas so that they bubbled and browned nicely.

My take aways are to either use a much lower (55-60%) hydration dough OR to pre-cook the pizza dough directly on the grill ahead of time, then set up the 'oven' and let it come to temp and then put the toppings on and finish the pizzas.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jun 7, 2020

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Murgos posted:

Pizza trip report.

No photos this time.

I have a big weber kettle (22"?) and a baking steel. So I decided to have fun and gin up a pizza oven with ~9 fire bricks in a rough U shape with some on the grate and the pizza steel over the top. I put the lid over that to capture the heat, cocked slightly backwards to make the opening larger.

That part worked pretty well.

What didn't work well is that I used a 70% hydration dough. 500g AP flour, 350g water, 1/8th tsp of instant yeast and roughly 20g of salt (not measured). Mix, fold after half an hour and into a 100 F oven (proof setting monitored with an accurate digital thermometer, it stayed at 98-100 the whole time), for ~3 hours until doubled in size and nice and bubbley. After that I shaped into 4 balls and put in the fridge for 3 hours, pulled and allowed to come to room temp for an hour and shaped into pizza rounds.

Unfortunately, it was way too sticky and I couldn't get it off of my aluminum peel. I ended up cooking the first pizza on the peel directly and it stuck, a lot.

The next two pizzas were made on aluminum baking trays and again they stuck a lot.

But considering that the pizzas didn't go right onto hot bricks the crusts did cook pretty well, had a nice chew and was quite delicious. The pizza steel on top worked well, reflecting and providing a ton of heat to the top of the pizzas so that they bubbled and browned nicely.

My take aways are to either use a much lower (55-60%) hydration dough OR to pre-cook the pizza dough directly on the grill ahead of time, then set up the 'oven' and let it come to temp and then put the toppings on and finish the pizzas.

Try cornmeal on the bottom. Or a lot more flour. Otherwise sounds great!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I tend to keep pizza dough to ~ 65% hydration. If you're going to go for a high moisture dough, and let it come to room temp before shaping, I suggest just putting it on parchment so you don't have to worry, or greasing the poo poo out of everything. A little oil on your hands, peel, and dough can help move things along.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

mediaphage posted:

I tend to keep pizza dough to ~ 65% hydration. If you're going to go for a high moisture dough, and let it come to room temp before shaping, I suggest just putting it on parchment so you don't have to worry, or greasing the poo poo out of everything. A little oil on your hands, peel, and dough can help move things along.

This is what I do with my pizza dough. Olive oil on everything, including my hands and arms.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Did my second sourdough, used the Foodbod recipe this time.

This is the first one that came out with a good sourdough flavour, but I’m a bit disappointed by the amount of oven spring. Was this overproofed?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Cyrano4747 posted:

This is what I do with my pizza dough. Olive oil on everything, including my hands and arms.

More like Lubed and Ready

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Cyrano4747 posted:

Rookie mistake. It's easier to get into the nooks and crannies with shortening. I buy mine in bulk.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Are silicone baking mats supposed to be sticky to the touch? I got an off-brand mat for free with a different purchase, but I've been hesitant to use it since parchment paper works so well and I don't want to sacrifice a batch of something for an experiment.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Yeah, I've found them to be non stick but high friction.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Lester Shy posted:

Are silicone baking mats supposed to be sticky to the touch? I got an off-brand mat for free with a different purchase, but I've been hesitant to use it since parchment paper works so well and I don't want to sacrifice a batch of something for an experiment.

I used mine for the first time and made cookies and they were easy to peel off even still hot

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah they release well, but oil does stick to silicone, so you'll often have a gummy residue on a well-used silicone baking mat.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Lester Shy posted:

i have some i bought years ago and they are so unpleasant to work with i mostly end up using parchment or nothing

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I used mine for the first time and made cookies and they were easy to peel off even still hot

I don't like silicon mats for cookies. It fucks up their spread.

I'll use it for general roasting or high sugar marinades, but not cookies anymore.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

toplitzin posted:

I don't like silicon mats for cookies. It fucks up their spread.

I'll use it for general roasting or high sugar marinades, but not cookies anymore.

Those spread out as far as normal but it's a brand new mat fwiw

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

So far, in my experience the foodbod recipe is low on oven spring but makes up for it in flavor. Today's loaf stuck to the banneton (bad me, needs more rice flour), so it's flatter than usual. :(

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Those spread out as far as normal but it's a brand new mat fwiw

Some data for you, if things do get funky:

https://www.seriouseats.com/2019/10/problems-with-baking-cookies-on-silicone.html

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I had a bizarre experience with a new baguette recipe last night. I was starting with this:

http://www.chewswise.com/chews/baguette-traditional-fromartz-recipe

I didn't have whole-wheat flour, and others commented about upping that to 5% anyways. I do have teff flour though, so I used that. Final flour mix: 590g King Arthur bread flour and 30g teff. Does teff have the dough equivalent of an anti-coagulant? My dough was a batter. Yes, it's a 70% hydration recipe, but I've gone up to 65% before without as much of a problem as I had here. I scraped blobs of it with a dough scraper onto the couch to form the loaves. It refused to accept any management. It tried to stick to my couche but I had rubbed in plenty of flour. Instead, it just sucked all that up and slowly peeled off, leaving a damp baguette Shroud of Torin behind. It then stuck to my peel until I uber-floured that too. It also stuck to my wooden baguette paddle. It stuck to everything. It even tried to stick to the bricks in the oven. The batter wouldn't rise; it would just bubble. It started out with an overnight rest looking like a pretty decent thing when I hand mixed it, but when I put the reins to it in my stand mixer, that's when it completely fell apart. I saw a video of a 105% hydration "cristal bread" online that wasn't as wet as this. I'm pretty sure I didn't invert the water and flour weights, because that's all I can otherwise think.

I also had other problems with other breads with my yeast. I had some kaiser rolls that had zero rise to them at all, so I have to make sure all my stuff is proofed and raging before I add it in.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

So far, in my experience the foodbod recipe is low on oven spring but makes up for it in flavor. Today's loaf stuck to the banneton (bad me, needs more rice flour), so it's flatter than usual. :(

I did this one today and found similar results. Great flavour, kinda flat

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Does teff have the dough equivalent of an anti-coagulant? My dough was a batter.

Responding to myself!

Yes! Apparently teff flour will gently caress with your dough!

http://www.farine-mc.com/2012/07/teff-mash-bread.html
https://cooking.stackexchange.com/questions/91706/does-teff-flour-destroy-gluten-and-what-do-do-about-it

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Instead, it just sucked all that up and slowly peeled off, leaving a damp baguette Shroud of Torin behind.
I am sorry for your loss, but :perfect:

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

Been making a ton of sourdough and rolls lately, today decided to retry making some sandwich bread. My last attempt wasn't very "sandwich" shaped, but I think that may have been mostly a product of using a 9x5 loaf pan instead of the 8.5 x 4.5 pan the recipe called for. I made the King Arthur Just Bread recipe, turned out amazing and made an absolutely killer grilled cheese. Still didn't get as much of a rise as I would expect- this one probably crowned 3/4"? I gave it a full 1.5 hours in the oven with the light on. It did have some good oven spring, so it ended up more "bread shaped" than my last attempt.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

How’d you get that crust? My last attempt at a loaf like that came out good on the inside but with a really soft crust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

How much dough should I be using for a standard loaf pan? I have been making 600 gram sandwich loaves and letting them rise for a long time, and they still only barely clear the top of the pan, so the shape is closer to a Pullman loaf. It's sourdough, though, so I could also be getting my proofing wrong.