Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

So whatever happened to Catherine Sakai anyways? Sinclair proposed to her at the end of season one but isn't mentioned again. And how would the whole Sinclair and Delenn having a son thing worked if she was still around before the rewrite?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Geez these new watchers are really good at watching TV. Enjoyed them picking up on Mordens shadowy nature.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

^^^ His nature isn't exactly hidden. I'm amused by The Doctor thinking that it was Morden himself that damaged Kosh's encounter suit, though.

Eighties ZomCom posted:

So whatever happened to Catherine Sakai anyways? Sinclair proposed to her at the end of season one but isn't mentioned again. And how would the whole Sinclair and Delenn having a son thing worked if she was still around before the rewrite?

Spoilers for 4X09 Atonement, To Dream In The City of Sorrows (novel) and In Valen's Name (comic):

Sakai joins the Rangers, but is lost on a mission to stop the Shadows capturing the temporal rift in Sector 14 through which B4 was pulled. Marcus Cole later receives a letter on very old Minbari paper that is addressed from both of them, although due to a Minbari custom of always using the oldest paper you can find for something important he doesn't know when it was written. Later, in 2261, the wreck of Babylon 4 is found. On board there is a final message from Valen which concludes with "I've found her". Combined with the knowledge that after the First Shadow War Valen went to live in seclusion and his family only returned to Minbar much later, it seems certain that Sinclair used the Triluminary to convert Sakai into a Minbari and married her.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jun 6, 2020

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Grand Fromage posted:

The show as aired diverges radically from The Plan, but just the fact that JMS had been thinking about the show for 10+ years gave him the tools needed to make everything look smooth even when it wasn't.

When I write something I always have an ending in mind, and 100% of the time that is not the ending I write because by the halfway point everything is different from the plan. But the exercise of planning still has huge benefits.
I'm always fascinated by the totally different ways other writers work, because by the time I start the actual writing, the whole story has been planned out in great/ridiculous detail. Obviously stuff changes along the way as characters and situations develop, but the outcome is 95% set before I write one word.

(I write novels, though, so I don't have to worry about actors leaving or suits saying "Hey, what if we had a character whose job it is to gently caress aliens when our heroes make first contact with a new species.")

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Jedit posted:

^^^ His nature isn't exactly hidden. I'm amused by The Doctor thinking that it was Morden himself that damaged Kosh's encounter suit, though.

Spoilers for 4X09 Atonement, To Dream In The City of Sorrows (novel) and In Valen's Name (comic):

Sakai joins the Rangers, but is lost on a mission to stop the Shadows capturing the temporal rift in Sector 14 through which B4 was pulled. Marcus Cole later receives a letter on very old Minbari paper that is addressed from both of them, although due to a Minbari custom of always using the oldest paper you can find for something important he doesn't know when it was written. Later, in 2261, the wreck of Babylon 4 is found. On board there is a final message from Valen which concludes with "I've found her". Combined with the knowledge that after the First Shadow War Valen went to live in seclusion and his family only returned to Minbar much later, it seems certain that Sinclair used the Triluminary to convert Sakai into a Minbari and married her.

I've never read the novels and stuff but this seems like a really nice way to give closure to these two characters :)

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
TheAardvark's next episode is "Grail", ha, I'm really curious about what they will make out of it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It still just feels so skeevy to me that Delenn secretly married Sinclair without his knowledge and then just flipped around and put all those new feelings into Sheridan.

Which I guess in the original plan, Sakai would've gone mysteriously missing around Zahaduum, and Delenn would only start being forward with Sinclair after she was gone (only to come back later as a pro-shadow shell of her former self), but it's still just such a weird moment.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

It still just feels so skeevy to me that Delenn secretly married Sinclair without his knowledge and then just flipped around and put all those new feelings into Sheridan.

Wait, what?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Is there a better payoff in all of sci-fi than the "No Hiding Place" scene in season 4?

I do feel like it was maybe the first (or among the first) such scene where completely incongruous music was used to amazing dramatic effect.

I like to think of everything from the warm jazz space battle music of Cowboy Bebop to the retro synth navel-gazing soundtrack of the climax of Uncut Gems as owing a debt to it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Data Graham posted:

I do feel like it was maybe the first (or among the first) such scene where completely incongruous music was used to amazing dramatic effect.

I like to think of everything from the warm jazz space battle music of Cowboy Bebop to the retro synth navel-gazing soundtrack of the climax of Uncut Gems as owing a debt to it.

The Godfather, Part I? Reservoir Dogs?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean except for all the examples I’m not thinking of lmao

E: or maybe I mean “in TV”. Like that’s kind of a defining feature of ~prestige~ TV drama nowadays but it was pretty rare then.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Data Graham posted:

Babylon 5 did benefit from an outstanding soundtrack.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Doctor Zero posted:

I don't know why you keep saying he didn't. Please cite your sources. He talks about his exit strategy for characters quite a bit in the script books, including what would have happened to people who didn't leave. I'm fairly certain he talked about it on usenet as well.

Repeating this, the only reason I even brought the subject up in this thread was your response in the other one

Anonymous Zebra posted:

This isn't even remotely true, but it's not something we can discuss in detail in a newbie thread. The original plot for Babylon 5 that JMS "planned" ahead of time resembles almost in no way the plot of the show that aired, diverging mid-way through season 1 and never going back. Babylon 5 is a very good show for it's time despite the cheap budget, and huge production issues the show ran into, but JMS has been blowing air up peoples asses claiming for decades about how well planned the show was while evidence from his early internet posts show that he was basically doing a really good job of making stuff up as he went. Again, we can't really talk about it here, but everyone who has seen the series knows what major production issues I'm talking about and how they drastically changed the plot of the show.

Yet everyone else is saying there are multiple sources contradicting this and JMS himself saying the same thing over the last 20 years and your main argument is that he's lying about it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Though I'm glad they ditched the comedy music, it gets used once early on in ... Soulhunter...? Then NEVER AGAIN

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Eighties ZomCom posted:

And how would the whole Sinclair and Delenn having a son thing worked if she was still around before the rewrite?

She undoubtedly would have played a very similar role that Anna Sheridan did in the show we got.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

mllaneza posted:

Babylon 5 did benefit from an outstanding soundtrack.

It would have been interesting to hear what Stewart Copeland would have done for a full series, though.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

SlothfulCobra posted:

Which I guess in the original plan, Sakai would've gone mysteriously missing around Zahaduum, and Delenn would only start being forward with Sinclair after she was gone (only to come back later as a pro-shadow shell of her former self), but it's still just such a weird moment.

In the original plan, Catherine Sakai suffers an extremely traumatic mind wipe (JMS straight up calls it mind rape) that destroys her personality and memories. Given the choice between repeating the process in the hopes of reversing it, which would have been equally as traumatic, Sinclair declines to do so.

it's not specified as being Shadow related and there's no Z'ha'dum in the treatment, but it's another one of those things where you can see JMS pulled from ideas he'd laid out and adapted them into something similar.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Honestly, "having the entire thing planned out" is too limiting anyway. It's good to have a plan to fall back on, but you should always be open to future-you having better ideas.

The ending is probably one of the best examples of that. In the original treatment among other things it ended with Sinclair retiring to self imposed exile alone on an uninhabited world to live out his remaining days. I kind of get what JMS was going for but at the same time Sinclair just choosing to leave Delenn and their son doesn't strike me as something that would have been especially satisfying.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Seemlar posted:

...at the same time Sinclair just choosing to leave Delenn and their son doesn't strike me as something that would have been especially satisfying.

My God, DS9 really was ripping off B5!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The Doctor is going to get burnt at the stake when he eventually comes in here, considering the dissing he just gave to A Voice in the Wilderness.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Doctor Zero posted:

Ah okay. JMS’ account in the script book is different but maybe he didn’t know the whole story then. Or I could be misremembering. Where did you see that? (Not challenging you I’m just interested in reading about it).

JMS does give the account he originally believed in the first script book. Pat's account is in Pleasure Thresholds, which she published through the same team that did the script books. That's when she and JMS reconnected and he got the background on what happened.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Jedit posted:

The Doctor is going to get burnt at the stake when he eventually comes in here, considering the dissing he just gave to A Voice in the Wilderness.

That's TheAardvark. The_Doctor hasn't gotten to voice yet.

Also i'll hold the torches and pitchforks till they're done with the whole show, they might change their mind later.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Jedit posted:

I wanted to write a reply sooo bad. But the greater good must prevail

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

McCloud posted:

I wanted to write a reply sooo bad. But the greater good must prevail

I don't even know how to reply to their take because it's like they barely paid attention to the episode if those were their complaints.

Binging a series has its benefits and drawbacks, probably one we're seeing now that 19 hours in after what, 2 weeks? into a 90s TV series people are staring to miss things in the show and not making any connections between previous episodes when it starts blurring together.

Does season 1 on a first watch not convey how completely far above the other races the Vorlons are? By Deathwalker its obvious that not only are the Vorlons barely involved with what is going on but they can do what they want in spite of all 4 great powers and the entire league and not give the slightest gently caress about consequences. In any context you'd see that and think it's some hyper power that really doesn't worry about anything involving the little people and sending a Vorlon ambassador is more like "sure have fun in the petting zoo" for them.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

They're mostly portrayed as aloof and distant, but powerful. Not sure it conveys just how powerful they are by s1, but that's gonna change real quick.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Narsham posted:

JMS does give the account he originally believed in the first script book. Pat's account is in Pleasure Thresholds, which she published through the same team that did the script books. That's when she and JMS reconnected and he got the background on what happened.

Ah okay thanks. I wanted to get that but between the title and how my wife knows my uh - fondness - for Pat I thought maybe not. I’ll have to see if I can manage to get it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

Ah okay thanks. I wanted to get that but between the title and how my wife knows my uh - fondness - for Pat I thought maybe not. I’ll have to see if I can manage to get it.

https://www.cafepress.com/b5pat was her store but it appears to be unavailable. Lol at 250 for a copy on Amazon.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

McCloud posted:

They're mostly portrayed as aloof and distant, but powerful. Not sure it conveys just how powerful they are by s1, but that's gonna change real quick.

They already turned up and merced Deathwalker, and nobody said or did a thing. At the same time Kosh basically admitted that the Vorlons are immortal.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Jedit posted:

They already turned up and merced Deathwalker, and nobody said or did a thing. At the same time Kosh basically admitted that the Vorlons are immortal.

Sinclair even jokes "well go ahead and file a complaint" while grinning because he knows literally no one and nothing is going to make the Vorlons care.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Gdi Im looking at my vague first watch notes on pieces of paper I never posted and laughing. (still very sorry never posted) These guys are doing it right, let them be as is. Let them enjoy :D
Their "wrong" opinions and misunderstandings will make later revelations far better than separate explanations now.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
In retrospect, It's pretty amazing how good B5 turned out. With being run on a smaller network, working under fears of being cancelled, revamping season 4 under the impression it would be the last season, and even managing a decent surprise season 5 (that's mostly weighed down by Byron, the rest is pretty good imho). And they didn't even need a film to wrap up the series properly.

There are other series, especially in the sci-fi genre, that fared far worse. You can see the three major possible outcomes in Stargate: Atlantis had a proper ending, SG1 needed a film to achieve that, and Universe was just suddenly canceled.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Torrannor posted:

In retrospect, It's pretty amazing how good B5 turned out. With being run on a smaller network, working under fears of being cancelled, revamping season 4 under the impression it would be the last season, and even managing a decent surprise season 5 (that's mostly weighed down by Byron, the rest is pretty good imho). And they didn't even need a film to wrap up the series properly.

There are other series, especially in the sci-fi genre, that fared far worse. You can see the three major possible outcomes in Stargate: Atlantis had a proper ending, SG1 needed a film to achieve that, and Universe was just suddenly canceled.

Stargate SG-1 was in an odd situation. They expected to end with S7, so they wrote a season ender that capped off the series as well. Then they got picked up for one year, so they repeated the process with S8 and again with S9 only to be picked up again. Then in S10 they didn't write a capper expecting to be picked up for S11 and then got cancelled. That's why the movie was needed.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I actually agree with that poster, VitW is not a particularly good two-parter. It seeds a lot of important things but I think the main plot is very drawn out to fill the two-part episode. Although the poster calling out the contrivances in the first paragraph is great, knowing the reason behind all of those, it's a good catch that they're questioning all these weird coincidences.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

hope and vaseline posted:

I actually agree with that poster, VitW is not a particularly good two-parter. It seeds a lot of important things but I think the main plot is very drawn out to fill the two-part episode. Although the poster calling out the contrivances in the first paragraph is great, knowing the reason behind all of those, it's a good catch that they're questioning all these weird coincidences.

Voice in the Wilderness was written as a two-parter at the request of Warner, who wanted a second movie-length story to follow up the pilot. It would have been very cramped as a single episode, though - most of the main cast would have to have been cropped.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Babylon squared is the real mind blower

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

sebmojo posted:

Oh, yes, I'm looking forward to them reaching that one.

"We're receiving a distress signal. Commander - it's Babylon 4."

Anyone who can hear that for the first time and not feel simultaneously chilled to the bone and giddy excited should just get the gently caress out, because good TV is not for them.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

sebmojo posted:

Yeah that's a great end of episode stinger that just percolated for years. It's like if rather then trying to build up in one season to drip fed secret then massive reveal like West World something was jump dropped in an episode that makes everyone go "wtf that is insane" and it doesn't come back up for years but everyone knows it must at some point.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I've always wondered, is that episode title a hint? English not being my native language, I interpret Babylon Squared as being similar (though not mathematically, of course) to "Babylon times two" = two Babylon stations?

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Torrannor posted:

I've always wondered, is that episode title a hint? English not being my native language, I interpret Babylon Squared as being similar (though not mathematically, of course) to "Babylon times two" = two Babylon stations?

Pretty much. To square something is to multiple a number by itself. So, four squared is sixteen. Two squared just gives you four.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Torrannor posted:

Did I miss something in Atlantis, because I disagree it had a proper ending. The threat to Earth was stopped and the team returned home, but the wraith as a whole are still out there, not only poised to again steamroll the Pegasus galaxy but still trying to find a way to Earth and the Milky Way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Did I miss something in Atlantis, because I disagree it had a proper ending. The threat to Earth was stopped and the team returned home, but the wraith as a whole are still out there, not only poised to again steamroll the Pegasus galaxy but still trying to find a way to Earth and the Milky Way.

Which they can't since the only Pegasus gate that can dial the Milky Way is now on Earth. They could theoretically find more ZPMs to make another super ship, but that's not super likely. And besides, if I recall correctly, the Wraith had mostly been decimated, and if not for that alternate dimension "Michael", the only thing left to the anti-Wraith forces was to mop them up?

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jun 8, 2020