Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Katt posted:

Is any weapon an upgrade to the assault rifle?

I mean the assault rifle has decent range as well as AOE damage from the bullet bursts. So it works well against everything from raiders to manhunter packs. I tried the charge rifle and charge lance but my pawns often end up firing the whole volley into the first target which wastes a ton of damage. The Assault rifle on the other hand gently sweeps the area with relatively accurate fire.

The LMG and Minigun both have abysmal accuracy and range last time I tried them.

I haven't tried it but I read minigun is very good for defending a killbox from hordes of enemies since the inaccurate spray will end up doing a lot of damage to other targets even when most of it inevitably misses what you were shooting at. I'm using Simple Sidearms which let your pawns carry a sidearm and automatically swap from ranged to melee so I've gotten pretty good use out of a couple guys with chain shotguns & either mace or gladius (sidearms have to be under a certain weight, configurable if you want) which lets them tear into charging enemies and then help my dedicated melee guys if too many get through. Dunno if its optimal but its working well for me so far.

One other mod I really love is Armor Racks. A pretty simple mod that adds armor racks you can store equipment in and then order your pawns to equip themselves from in a single click. You can set a pawn to own a specific rack so they always get the same gear if you want too. It has researchable upgrades that let you equip faster and one that will slowly repair the equipment stored in it. Makes managing equipment a lot less of a pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I liked LMGs for crowd control against densely packed lightly-armoured melee rushes (usually from a tribal faction) because unlike miniguns a burst from an LMG would be enough to down several enemies while not spraying and destroying my fortifications with many missed shots.

Other than that I mostly just used assault rifles and sniper rifles for the whole game as my standard weapons.

Also don't be afraid to keep shelves of the real premium poo poo like triple or doomsday rocket launchers in your strongpoints for when you really need to kill a lot of fuckers really fast in an emergency. Whoever equips it will drop their gun next to the shelf and can pick it up again when the weapon is spent.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Katt posted:

Is any weapon an upgrade to the assault rifle?

I mean the assault rifle has decent range as well as AOE damage from the bullet bursts. So it works well against everything from raiders to manhunter packs. I tried the charge rifle and charge lance but my pawns often end up firing the whole volley into the first target which wastes a ton of damage. The Assault rifle on the other hand gently sweeps the area with relatively accurate fire.

The LMG and Minigun both have abysmal accuracy and range last time I tried them.

The assault rifle is overrated. Its range is only four tiles more than the LMG, and it has bad armor penetration, and mediocre damage. The LMG's damage and armor penetration are identical, but it fires twice as many shots and has enough stopping power to stagger a human, which the assault rifle does not have. Rimworld is a defensive game. 90% of the time you choose what the engagement terrain looks like, and there's no reason why you should be engaging at assault rifle ranges when you can force the enemy to close with you and rip them to shreds with stronger weapons. Enemies frequently attack in such numbers that low accuracy is irrelevant. It doesn't matter if you "miss" if there's 20 other targets around that your missed shot is almost certain to hit one of them.

Which weapon is BEST depends on your killbox design and your targets, but the minigun and chain shotgun are basically the kings, with the minigun requiring a more specific killbox layout (you're going to have to replace walls regularly as the minigun blows chunks out of them). Charge rifles are ok for field work vs. mechanoids where their superior armor penetration gives them an edge. Assault rifles suck super bad vs. mechanoid armor. Or imperial armor. Or just general raiders with their flak and (in late game) marine armor.

If you need long range to harass a siege or something, use a sniper rifle or charge lance.

For more details, and recommendations, here's a madness post.

CHOOSING GUNS ON THE RIMWORLD.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

gently caress's sake, raiders. what were you thinking? dropping 5 people on my roof so they could crash down into ONE bedroom where I could shoot you like fish in a barrel while my royal zapped you into vomiting constantly was... not great

anyways you're all getting recruited asap I want to see how many colonists I can stuff into this colony before the game explodes

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

"psychic rain will make your colonists age if they're caught out in it, and it will last anywhere from a season to several years" motherfucker!!!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
The purple events like that from the events expanded mod are woefully unbalanced and meant to dramatically change things, presumably for long time players. You can stop it with dev mode and fiddle with the mod settings in game. I learned my lesson after 3 years of a global warming event.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Doomykins posted:

The purple events like that from the events expanded mod are woefully unbalanced and meant to dramatically change things, presumably for long time players. You can stop it with dev mode and fiddle with the mod settings in game. I learned my lesson after 3 years of a global warming event.

Oh huh, yep, that's what they're from. Given that I'm aiming to leave the planet within a year or two (less if I can!) I don't need to turn them off.

That said, I...actually enjoyed the ice age and global warming events, once I got through the stress of adapting to them. They added some huge drama and flavor to the game and really pushed me to play better. This psychic rain one is kinda neat too - forcing me to make more roofed pathways.

(still gonna turn it off/make it stop happening because aging is kind of a stupid consequence with how random the effects are)

Largejaroalmonds
Sep 25, 2007

Harvey Baldman posted:

It's a big fuckin' mess, but here's the list of what I have active right now. I bolded the things that are inimical to the Fallout playthrough - the rest are usually Quality of Life things or optional.

• Harmony
  • HugsLib
  • EdB Prepare Carefully
  • Vanilla Factions Expanded - Core
  • Wall Light
  • Realistic Rooms
  • Expanded Prosthetics and Organ Engineering
  • Pick Up and Haul
  • RimHUD
  • Vanilla Furniture Expanded
  • Vanilla Armour Expanded
  • Common Sense
  • Replace Stuff
  • Mad Skills
  • Allow Tool
  • Trade Ships Drop Spot
  • [SF] Priority Treatment 1.1
  • Vanilla Textures Expanded
  • Space Western (Music Pack)
  • Simple Sidearms
  • Vanilla Furniture Expanded - Medical Furniture
  • Vanilla Furniture Expanded - Security
  • Vanilla Furniture Expanded - Production
  • Vanilla Apparel Expanded
  • Vanilla Animals Expanded - Cats and Dogs
  • Vanilla Furniture Expanded - Farming
  • Rimworld Search Agency
  • Bulk Stonecutting
  • Bionic Icons
  • Dubs Break Mod
  • Everybody Gets One
  • Work Tab
  • Utility Columns
  • Beautiful Outdoors
  • More Vanilla Turrets 1.1
  • Vanilla Animals Expanded - Tropical Rainforest
  • Vanilla Furniture Expanded - Art
  • Reinforced Walls
  • Auto-Cut Blight
  • More Vanilla Biomes
  • Vanilla Weapons Expanded - Quickdraw
  • MendAndRecycle
  • Yayo's Combat 3
  • Transport Cargo Pod
  • Vanilla Events Expanded
  • Save Our Ship 2
  • More Trade Ships
  • Stabilize
  • Vanilla Furniture Expanded - Spacer Furniture
  • [FSF] More Quests
  • Vanilla Weapons Expanded - Laser
  • Map Reroll
  • Deep Ore Identifier
  • Blueprints
  • Defensive Positions
  • Doors Expanded
  • Prepare Landing
  • More Planning
  • [RF] Advanced Bridges 1.1
  • CatsAreCleverToo
  • Go Explore!
  • Much Quieter Fallout Vault Doors
  • The Brotherhood Compendium
  • T-45b Power Armor
  • Fallout Vault Structures & Floors
  • FishIndustry
  • Glass+Lights
  • Just Ignore Me Passing
  • The Great War
  • VGP Soylent Production
  • Android Tiers
  • [KV] RimFridge - 1.1
  • Vault-Tec - Handy things for your vault
  • Vertibird Transport
  • Fallout: Retro Weapon Pack
  • Rimscavenger Kit
  • Caesar's Legion - Faction
  • RimOut: Raider Uniforms
  • RimOut: Legion Faction
  • RimOut: Legion Uniforms
  • RimOut: NCR Uniforms
  • Andoird Ressurection Kit (rebuild)
  • Android Tiers Unfeeling Patch
  • Brahmin Mod
  • NCR - Faction
  • NCR Service Rifle
  • Large Faction Bases
  • Tier 2 Temperature
  • Toxic Fallout Protection Suit
  • Traders Have Money
  • Use Bedrolls
  • Vanilla Animals Expanded - Boreal Forest
  • Vanilla Animals Expanded - Desert
  • Vanilla Animals Expanded - Extreme Desert
  • Vanilla Animals Expanded - Tropical Jungle
  • Vanilla Fences (Fence Tab)
  • Vanilla Furniture Expanded - Power
  • Fallout Races: The Robots Pack 1.1
  • Rimatomics
  • [CP] Military Furniture
  • Fallout Races: Playable Ghoul
  • What the hack?!
  • RimCities - Citadel Update
  • Underground Food
  • Real Ruins
  • Miscellaneous 'CORE'
  • Misc. Robots
  • Humanoid Alien Races 2.0
  • A Dog Said... Animal Prosthetics
  • Hospitality
  • Power Tab
  • Give up your building
  • Stack XXL
  • ResearchPal
  • WeaponStats

For the purposes of my game, 'androids' are basically just synths, and I treat android raids like they're coming from The Institute. A few of the mods facilitate better underground food-growing or alternative options to farming on the surface. Ruins and cities mods give you places to go. Robots, ghouls, and the other factions add a bit more thematic flavor to the world.

I made a start on this world by building a much smaller 'starter' vault in devmode. Then I went and saved the file, opened it in Notepad++, and re-assigned faction ownership of each piece (every wall, every door, etc) to an enemy faction, and finally re-fogged the map, which mostly accomplished what I wanted. I started the game with a Lone Wanderer and a German Shepherd, and then eventually was able to carefully retake the vault from a bunch of ghouls and an infestation. Then I started building out.

Edit: With Prepare Carefully, I gave my starter Lone Wanderer the 'Bionic BrainPal' upgrade to represent a Pip-Boy and VATS, which I think is very on-point. (Enhances manipulation, sight, consciousness minorly).

Definitely would have missed a few of those. Thanks.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Mzbundifund posted:

The assault rifle is overrated. Its range is only four tiles more than the LMG, and it has bad armor penetration, and mediocre damage. The LMG's damage and armor penetration are identical, but it fires twice as many shots and has enough stopping power to stagger a human, which the assault rifle does not have. Rimworld is a defensive game. 90% of the time you choose what the engagement terrain looks like, and there's no reason why you should be engaging at assault rifle ranges when you can force the enemy to close with you and rip them to shreds with stronger weapons. Enemies frequently attack in such numbers that low accuracy is irrelevant. It doesn't matter if you "miss" if there's 20 other targets around that your missed shot is almost certain to hit one of them.

Which weapon is BEST depends on your killbox design and your targets, but the minigun and chain shotgun are basically the kings, with the minigun requiring a more specific killbox layout (you're going to have to replace walls regularly as the minigun blows chunks out of them). Charge rifles are ok for field work vs. mechanoids where their superior armor penetration gives them an edge. Assault rifles suck super bad vs. mechanoid armor. Or imperial armor. Or just general raiders with their flak and (in late game) marine armor.

If you need long range to harass a siege or something, use a sniper rifle or charge lance.

For more details, and recommendations, here's a madness post.

CHOOSING GUNS ON THE RIMWORLD.

qft. the main place the assault rifle actually shines is when you are traveling to your extraction ship, because it's difficult to know what you will run into. a generalist weapon is preferred there because you can run into darn near anything, and the last thing you want is for your kit to leave you at an awkward disadvantage. that said, you will still want to keep a chain shotgun or something else that pierces armor in a traveling party, because assault rifles are among some of the worst weapons in the game for tackling anything ironclad.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

"psychic rain will make your colonists age if they're caught out in it, and it will last anywhere from a season to several years" motherfucker!!!

Pretty sure that's the plot of Death Stranding?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
The "age faster" is only +200% aging so its not really a major issue unless you have a bunch of old pawns.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

That sounds really useful for ranching

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

agreed to rescue a man from a pack of wild dinosaurs. the fight ended in near disaster with maynard dying, almost everyone injured, and worst of all - our old husky, who had been with us since we crashed years ago? she died to them, in valiant defense of us. :(

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

StrixNebulosa posted:

agreed to rescue a man from a pack of wild dinosaurs. the fight ended in near disaster with maynard dying, almost everyone injured, and worst of all - our old husky, who had been with us since we crashed years ago? she died to them, in valiant defense of us. :(

Sounds like you now have some reasons to quest for a pair of resurrection serums.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Is anyone else annoyed by the lack of hysteresis on meditation focus generation in the recent patch? Pawn drops 1 point below the target focus level? Better run halfway across the map back to a mediation spot and sit for 1 second to recover that before running back across the map.

I feel like my noble pawns were more productive with the older authority system, since they fulfilled that need in one big chunk instead of spending half their day running back and forth the entire time.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jun 7, 2020

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Yeah I don’t use psychic focus level, I just set a few hours of meditation a day.

It’s also why I schedule loads of recreation so they don’t do similar in the middle of doing something so they could go shoot some horseshoes for 5 minutes.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Danaru posted:

Yeah it's definitely come a long way, but it's a little content sparse right now. I'm eager to see what it'll be like later in the year though

Space Haven was great but after about 10 hours or so there wasn't much else to do.

If the dev avoids it becoming another Spacebase DF-9 that'd be cool but I don't really regret the ten bucks or whatever for 10-12 hours. Think I did everything in between work projects in a day, so it fills a niche that I appreciate.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Accept a quest to provide a safe haven for someone and they show up naked and it's -31 degrees outside.

That and people who crash land in a pod on the other side of the map with 4 hours left to live.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Found a good way to prevent prison breaks. Give them a bionic spine and then take it out :yaycloud:

Edit: Captured a tribal that was great at mining and shooting but is a body purist who got his spine shot off during a raid.

It's going to take a wide combination of drugs and implants to make this guy a contributing member of society.

Edit: never mind. Joywire brain surgery failed and he got 60% permanent brain damage.

Katt fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jun 7, 2020

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Strix's Mod List - for the most convenient/fun playthrough of this game.

Do you use a mod manager to help manage all these mods? Or do you just go from the workshop and keep track yourself?

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

I've read that the Anima Tree doesn't like to have any artificial constructions set up within a certain radius of itself. Do farms and roads also count towards that?

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Yeah, the "preferred focus level" is pretty annoying. My royal is my main researcher so he'd tend to sit down to research, then immediately sprint off to his throne, meditate for a minute, sprint back, and repeat. I ended up scheduling 2 hours of meditation a day which is enough to keep him topped up, and set his focus level to 0. I guess if they wanted to fix it, they'd make meditation always last at least X duration even if it takes you above preferred level, to give a buffer.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Razakai posted:

Yeah, the "preferred focus level" is pretty annoying. My royal is my main researcher so he'd tend to sit down to research, then immediately sprint off to his throne, meditate for a minute, sprint back, and repeat. I ended up scheduling 2 hours of meditation a day which is enough to keep him topped up, and set his focus level to 0. I guess if they wanted to fix it, they'd make meditation always last at least X duration even if it takes you above preferred level, to give a buffer.

There should just be a tolerated minimum level in addition to the current meditation goal level. Set the minimum value via right mouse click, and the desired level via left click. No autonomous meditiation until below that mininum, unless specifically scheduled to meditate. You're welcome, Tynan!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gimmick Account posted:

I've read that the Anima Tree doesn't like to have any artificial constructions set up within a certain radius of itself. Do farms and roads also count towards that?

Roads no, farms.. probably not? Things on the floor layer don't count but things like walls and furniture do. Including things like conduit I'm fairly sure.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Does the anima tree do anything for non tribals? I've been keeping my stuff away from it because it looks cool, but my town is congealing in that direction now

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

OGS-Remix posted:

Do you use a mod manager to help manage all these mods? Or do you just go from the workshop and keep track yourself?

I keep track myself! It helps that Rimworld's built-in mod list is really good at going "this isn't compatible therefore it'll flash red" which helped me weed out a few duds.

The other helpful thing is that once you have a stable set of mods and you've got a game running, you can mostly relax into playing without needing to look at the mods or do anything with 'em. And then since games last 50-100+ hours that's a long time to go without thinking about mods. Aside from tweaks on the fly I mean. And there's the "ah, Rimworld is now 1.2" potential where everything breaks. But that's modding for you.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Danaru posted:

Does the anima tree do anything for non tribals? I've been keeping my stuff away from it because it looks cool, but my town is congealing in that direction now

Only people with a tribal pawn background can use it, so if you recruit a tribal they will be able to use it.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Danaru posted:

If you kill it it'll regrow in 2 seasons or so

I think it never spawns where it won't work, so if you cleverly place things around the map you can force it in a clearing

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

ShadowHawk posted:

If you kill it it'll regrow in 2 seasons or so

I think it never spawns where it won't work, so if you cleverly place things around the map you can force it in a clearing

Note that you get a several day (5?) malus for cutting down the Anima Tree, something like -8 or -10, for everyone.

Largejaroalmonds
Sep 25, 2007

Danaru posted:

Meditation Freedom
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2111021647

This mod does the following.
- All meditation items/buildings allow all meditation types.
- All meditation items/buildings are set to 30% regardless of other factors.
- Nature shrines can be built without a nature based psycaster.
- Nature shrines and the Anima Tree no longer get a debuff from nearby artificial items/buildings.
- The Anima Tree can be grown in growing zones. (Unfortunately the linking ritual is limited to 1 meditation type in the game files so currently I'm leaving it as Natural)

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Had some lord guy with his 3 retainers visit me. Part of the quest was to keep him in a good mood and the reward was 80 thousand silvers worth of plasteel. He wanted to live like a loving king but I gave him unlimited drugs to do all day long and he was drunk and high 24/7 and as happy as can be.

Guess he got to live like The King instead! :v:

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Katt posted:

Had some lord guy with his 3 retainers visit me. Part of the quest was to keep him in a good mood and the reward was 80 thousand silvers worth of plasteel. He wanted to live like a loving king but I gave him unlimited drugs to do all day long and he was drunk and high 24/7 and as happy as can be.

Guess he got to live like The King instead! :v:

That place was great, I’m addicted to 6 different substances now but drat was that awesome.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The lord was found several days later, dead from overdose.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I can't believe the game has gender locked clothes. I wanted to give my chef a top hat but.

Like they went in and put extra effort into making clothes have this effect.

This is like Bi/Gay being a specific trait. Someone making the calls in this games development is probably hiding their power level :v:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Katt posted:

I can't believe the game has gender locked clothes. I wanted to give my chef a top hat but.

Like they went in and put extra effort into making clothes have this effect.

This is like Bi/Gay being a specific trait. Someone making the calls in this games development is probably hiding their power level :v:

Wait wtf? Is that real?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have never seen that before, and I don't think there is a chef hat in the base game either, is it a mod you're using?

It certainly wouldn't make much sense with the outfit system.

E: huh, just had someone put on a "ladies' hat" and apparently yes it is a thing. But I think most items aren't gendered because I've literally never seen it before.

It may be that wherever the chef's hat comes from has set it as gendered when it shouldn't be. You can certainly wear almost all the clothes I've ever made regardless of gender. I wonder if it's a new thing with the royalty expansion that added corsets and stuff.

E2: yeah looking at some of the noble item descriptions they are specifically gendered. Sort of makes sense I guess in the sense that they're all about silly social rules.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 7, 2020

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

OwlFancier posted:

I have never seen that before, and I don't think there is a chef hat in the base game either, is it a mod you're using?

It certainly wouldn't make much sense with the outfit system.

It's the royal clothes. It has a top hat for men and a fantastic ladys hat that I wanted for all officers

But it's for women only.

Fairly certain it's not a mod.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah looks like the top hat/ladies hat and corset/vest are specifically gendered. Ruffle shirt, robe, crowns, and robes are not, I think. Neither is the eltex stuff.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 7, 2020

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Katt posted:

If the lead developer's game design book(http://51.255.68.3:8011/143.95.72.211/error404/designing_games.pdf) is any indication of working with him, it's a mixture of colossal ego and something else that I don't know what it is. Just read the "Emotion and Video games" chapter and you'll see that come out full bore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I see Tynan has been checking the okcupid statistics again!