Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

Djarum posted:

What stuff are you talking about?

Did she fortify downtown at the expense of the South and West side? Yup that happened. The fact that she tries to get all high and mighty that she didn't is hilarious since we all watched it live on TV and pretty much everyone knew what was going to happen.

Pretty much everyone involved right now is a moron. Lopez has plenty of actual ammunition to go after Lightfoot with but he is a moron as well. I think there was only two real, smart questions asked and Lightfoot dodged them both which is disturbing. The authoritarian stuff in the call was chilling as well.
Lightfoot has completely botched the response to this, in pretty much the same way that all big-city mayors have, but letting Lopez lead the charge against her is a huge mistake. All it does is give her unearned credibility, since he wastes his time freaking out about antifa supersoldiers. I wish a better Alderman had his force of personality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Djarum posted:

What stuff are you talking about?

Did she fortify downtown at the expense of the South and West side? Yup that happened. The fact that she tries to get all high and mighty that she didn't is hilarious since we all watched it live on TV and pretty much everyone knew what was going to happen.

Pretty much everyone involved right now is a moron. Lopez has plenty of actual ammunition to go after Lightfoot with but he is a moron as well. I think there was only two real, smart questions asked and Lightfoot dodged them both which is disturbing. The authoritarian stuff in the call was chilling as well.

The article posted:

Ald. Raymond Lopez (15th Ward) demanded that Lightfoot develop a plan to stabilize Chicago’s neighborhoods for five days, calling his Southwest Side ward “a virtual war zone” where gang members armed with AK-47’s were threatening to shoot black people.

The call came to a screeching halt when Lightfoot declined to address the substance of Lopez’s remarks, and Lopez demanded that she respond.

Lightfoot told Lopez he was “100% full of s--t.”

“Well, f--k you then,” Lopez responded.

“I understand you want to preen,” Lightfoot told Lopez.

As aldermen objected, Lopez continued to speak.

“Mayor you need to check your f-----g attitude,” Lopez said.

That profane exchange was first reported by the Sun-Times.

I think this was the part that I was the most curious about; that seems like a complete misuse of The People's Rifle.

My buddy lives in Chicago somewhere near to where there was protesting/looting and he said he wasn't going to go because people were getting mugged walking to the protest.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

T. Bombastus posted:

Lightfoot has completely botched the response to this, in pretty much the same way that all big-city mayors have, but letting Lopez lead the charge against her is a huge mistake. All it does is give her unearned credibility, since he wastes his time freaking out about antifa supersoldiers. I wish a better Alderman had his force of personality.

Yeah I agree, it is incredibly tone deaf that no mayor has even touched on maybe just doing some of what everyone is asking for. Lightfoot is going to burn for this. Lopez is a loving dope and came off like an idiot here. Honestly I'd say at least half of the Aldermen on the call seemed completely out of touch. I hate to say it but Burke as much as I hate him actually came off sensible and had an actual solution with the radio thing as well.

We really need to be working toward getting a better mayor from outside the political circles to come in and getting the current Aldermen and the rest of the old machine out.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Zarin posted:

I think this was the part that I was the most curious about; that seems like a complete misuse of The People's Rifle.

My buddy lives in Chicago somewhere near to where there was protesting/looting and he said he wasn't going to go because people were getting mugged walking to the protest.

Well a bunch of the Aldermen were saying there were people running around with AK-47s, which I have never seen anyone gang member or not ever have an AK here in the city but I digress. Lopez tried to push Lightfoot on what he plans were which I think was valid but put a bunch of weird, goofy, fake poo poo before it and ruined his argument. Lightfoot refused to answer it and they started screaming and cursing at each other. It is mostly correct in the way the paper said it.

Really I recommend everyone just take some time and listen to the call since it is pretty sobering to hear how they are talking when they think no one is listening.

As far as I know there hasn't been any muggings around the protests, mostly since the police presence is so high. I wouldn't go to one alone personally for a multitude of reasons but mugging is one of my last concerns. Also mugging someone going to or leaving a protest is dumb since who is bringing anything of value to a protest where you are likely going to get attacked at best by police or arrested at worst? It makes zero sense.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/MarkMaxwellTV/status/1269107322640629760

My people's. I'm so proud of my city.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010
Thanks for clarifying about the call stuff. None of this poo poo feels real anymore but I'm still trying to figure out if there is an actual solution being my fantasy of burning down the entire system and making something less poisonous.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Post poste posted:

Thanks for clarifying about the call stuff. None of this poo poo feels real anymore but I'm still trying to figure out if there is an actual solution being my fantasy of burning down the entire system and making something less poisonous.

I'm of the opinion that there really isn't a solution outside of burning it all down.

Think about it, even if they do defund the police to some extent, there is still the massive institutional and systematic racism in the entire court system. And then just institutional racism through the entire government.

I think the entire government system has to go and be rebuilt from the ground up completely. The people should no longer be controlled by the minority of people simply because of land and the rural population/states have way way too much influence.

edit - Never forget that the combined population of North/South Dakata is less than 2 million people and yet combined they control 4 votes in the Senate despite the fact that they might as well be homogeneous. Meanwhile, the 12.6 million people in Illinois are still only represented by just 2 Senators. Not to mention the fact that the amount of Representatives has been fixed since like 1911.

TMMadman fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 6, 2020

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Hell yeah. Syverson is such a grade-A dickbag. I love how every time he tries to be funny on social media it completely backfires on him. Remember when his son first got arrested for molesting that kid and all Davey could do was clarify that he is his adopted son?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Dave syverson facts; he got Lasik like 20 years ago and realized he looks like a dork without glasses so wears lenses that don't do anything

Also was the key figure in recruiting Alan Keyes to run against Obama

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Effingham held a public rally today. Around 500 people were there and many many cars that drove by honked in support. Only two overcompensation trucks drove by and revved their engines (with one waving a Trump flag).

Best sign was a 70 year old woman’s that said “we aren’t trying to start a race war, we are trying to finally end it.”

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
The last time Obama visited Springfield, Syverson posted on his "official" page a photo of them together, calling him a "colleague" and remarking how they worked well together on issues they agreed on.

Then on his personal page, he bitched about the cost of flying Obama in for "hundreds of thousands of taxpayer dollars" and how Obama wanted to "fix politics" and work together better with less name calling.

He's a two faced little shitweasel and looks dorky with or without glasses.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

T. Bombastus posted:

Lopez had a blue lives matter flag behind him last council meeting. The fact that the Progressives let him take the lead just shows what useless cowards they all are.

And that's why Lightfoot is with the police, because their supporters are actually doing something with their power while Rosa stands in front of his fanboys on the street while doing fuckall in city council.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

mastershakeman posted:

Also was the key figure in recruiting Alan Keyes to run against Obama

:nice:

I lived in Wisconsin during that time, and it was still one of the funniest, most lopsided things ever.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

So now that we are lightly reopening, do we think Pritzker is willing to go back to phase 2 if we start seeing a rise in cases again? GA, FL, and TX are seeing some spikes.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

LabyaMynora posted:

:nice:

I lived in Wisconsin during that time, and it was still one of the funniest, most lopsided things ever.
I think Keyes has gone whole hog into drinking bleach, hasn't he?

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Bird in a Blender posted:

So now that we are lightly reopening, do we think Pritzker is willing to go back to phase 2 if we start seeing a rise in cases again? GA, FL, and TX are seeing some spikes.

I would think he would do things based on the regions now. So if a region starts spiking, it could slide back into phase 2. But I doubt he would want to deal with the backlash from downstate by sending the whole state into phase 2 due to Chicago cases spiking.

Comedy option is if downstate starts spiking, he just lets the locals deal with it.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

So downstate rep Wilhour (member of the Eastern Bloc) created his own plan for reopening the state back in April. His plan was the same as Pritzker’s but it had 14 days in between phases instead of 28. Since putting it out, he has been pretty much showing it was just a publicity stunt.

1)His plan requires mask wearing throughout the phases but he constantly attended rallies without a mask.
2) He put out this yesterday complaining about Christian summer camps (apparently they are the only ones that matter) but as far as I could tell, his plan would not allow them to be open.

Edit: I agree that Pritzker is going to probably take this as a region by region set up now. Also, downstate Illinois is not going to listen anyways.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Orvin posted:

Comedy option is if downstate starts spiking, he just lets the locals deal with it.

:sickos:

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Chicago has a unique COVID strain: research.

quote:

Chicagoans are being infected with a unique strain of COVID-19 that’s linked to the early coronavirus outbreak in China, according to new research. Northwestern Medicine scientists have determined that the Chicago area “is a melting pot for different versions of the virus because it is such a transportation hub,” Dr. Egon Ozer
Chicago tough!

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I took a glance. The study is from mid-May and used samples from April, so the data is a little out of date, but it's still interesting. The global sequencing database I've been looking at only has like 20 sequences from Chicago, so I hope these guys dump their data into the global repository soon.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Bobulus posted:

I took a glance. The study is from mid-May and used samples from April, so the data is a little out of date, but it's still interesting. The global sequencing database I've been looking at only has like 20 sequences from Chicago, so I hope these guys dump their data into the global repository soon.

Looks like the Chicago strain sheds less virus, which could be good for the area.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Who says this city doesn’t have its own culture?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Is it just me or does it seem like we're moving into "phase 4" ridiculously fast?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

brugroffil posted:

Is it just me or does it seem like we're moving into "phase 4" ridiculously fast?

Yup. We went from like phase 2 to phase 4 in a week. There is zero chance this isn’t going to backfire.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

It will have been 28 days on Friday.

They're following the science instead of gut feelings.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Based on the traffic I saw on the weekend when I was doing weekly errands everyone's living like it's 2019 so who gives a gently caress what the government says and open everything all the way. It's gonna backfire horribly, just look what's happening in Florida, but Americans seem determined to cement their position as the biggest group of dumbshits on the planet.

Just gonna do what I can to protect myself because there still isn't any vaccine and only minor improvements in the standard of care. :shrug:

Maybe when everyone over 55 suddenly dies off they'll take stuff seriously.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

esquilax posted:

They're following the science instead of feelings.

We still have hundreds of cases a day and no tracing though

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

People were also worried about phase 3, but we've seen the rate of new cases halve during it, despite all the reopenings and the historic mass gatherings of people. Cases are way down since peak, even though testing is way up. Hospitalizations are down 85%. All the criteria that the DPH has set are being met with room to spare.

I'm still being prudent about social distancing and mask wearing (as we should all), but there is a plan, backed by the data, and this is the next step.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

esquilax posted:

They're following the science instead of gut feelings.

What's making it feel fast is Chicago reopening into phase 3 slower, especially for outdoor drinking, and then bam, phase 4

We're doing great compared to everyone else but there isn't really anything we can do for imported cases and thats what's frustrating

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

But all I see from Southern Illinois is that we should have never closed down at all down here.

We are doing extremely well (largest decrease in cases out of all states). Unfortunately, I am concerned about the next month or so, especially down here. Majority of places I have to go, I am the only one wearing a mask. We have already had multiple businesses open in door eating (which as far as I could tell, is not supposed to be happening). Social distancing is practically non-existent anymore.

I think we could be in for a bad future but I do think that the phased plans have been working extremely well.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

brugroffil posted:

Pritzker wants to keep his rich friends happy, screw the poor!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

But all I see from Southern Illinois is that we should have never closed down at all down here.

We are doing extremely well (largest decrease in cases out of all states). Unfortunately, I am concerned about the next month or so, especially down here. Majority of places I have to go, I am the only one wearing a mask. We have already had multiple businesses open in door eating (which as far as I could tell, is not supposed to be happening). Social distancing is practically non-existent anymore.

I think we could be in for a bad future but I do think that the phased plans have been working extremely well.

Yeah I get why they're mad, they had basically no cases. But Illinois did so well because it was the one place no one wanted to head to because it was last to reopen in the region. The threat now is out of staters fleeing here from Arizona and Texas and Florida , just like new Yorkers fled to Rhode island and Connecticut , but at least we won't get overwhelmed as easily

There's nothing else that can really be done and it stinks

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

In central Illinois this last weekend I've seen what felt like a lot more people out and less mask compliance than before.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Living on the Northside in Chicago looking out my window there are fewer and fewer people wearing masks over the last couple of weeks. I’d say a month ago I’d see a good 80%+ or so wearing masks on average and those who weren’t mostly at least tried to keep their distance.

Comparing that to yesterday and that number has mostly flipped. 80% or more were maskless, I have seen many large groups with no distancing or masks. Even delivery drivers are starting to skirt the safety measures.

My biggest fear is since everyone is getting the whole “we are doing great number go down” drumbeat with everything in Chicago at preset rapidly opening up is a massive second wave where it rips through places because we have very relaxed guidelines again.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

My wife works once a week in a suburban hospital. For a long time they had between 60-70 COVID patients every week when she worked. The last two weeks it's been 16 and 14 respectively. So it's better, and that's probably why poo poo's reopening, but the more lax things get, the more it's going to spread, especially if people aren't wearing masks. (I still see over 90% of people wearing masks around me at least.)

The other wildcard factor is that we have two major airports. poo poo's spiking in AZ, TX, and FL (amongst other states). People are inevitably going to come here for one reason or another, so it's not like we can separate ourselves in any way even if it were under control within the state.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I was at the store just yesterday and mask use is at least around 90%. Just a few assholes.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
I'm northside Chicago and it's about 80% masked walking down the street and 100% in stores. I live right by a big lakeshore park so it's pretty easy to keep your distance most of the time and pop a mask on if you see someone coming.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
I had to go into Champaign over the weekend to pick up a new washer and went out to eat while I was there. It was stupidly nice out so downtown was packed, but everyone was wearing masks and keeping distance from people not in their groups. It helps that all the seating is outdoors too. Anecdotal I know, but it feels like we’re doing pretty well in this part of the state.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Hutla posted:

I'm northside Chicago and it's about 80% masked walking down the street and 100% in stores. I live right by a big lakeshore park so it's pretty easy to keep your distance most of the time and pop a mask on if you see someone coming.

Same but the opposite. I'm right by the lake, far north, and it's about 50/50, maybe 60/40 in favor of maskless just on people walking around.

When I went to the loop last week, it was more like 80% maskless and people just sitting in restaurants like nothing. Disgusting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I ran some errands for the first time in about a month in the south burbs today and it sure seems like traffic is back to normal. Especially that guy who was behind me while I was doing +10 in the right lane and merged left before speeding up to cut me off in order to get to the stop light first.

Also: meat prices are getting closer to normal two, 3 pound roasts (pork and beef) and a dozen porter burgers from the butcher only ran me 50 bucks. Still higher than in April, but not as bananas as May was.