Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Red posted:

3. Wait a minute. How did Fake Sting know which face paint to wear?! This whole wrestling thing is fake! FAKE!

But to be serious, Jeff Farmer made out pretty well playing an impostor of a well-known wrestler, at least for a little while. Rick Bogner and Glen Jacobs, not so much. Has anyone ever successfully played a replacement or impostor of someone else?

The second La Parka had a very successful career as La Parka and to AAA fans in the aughts would be more of a star than LA Park. Tiger Mask IV has had a long career as Tiger Mask. The Masked Interns were played by a number of different wrestlers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Taiji Ishimori is a way better Bone Soldier than the first one (who was so bad NJPW basically fired him and retconned him out of canon)

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

triplexpac posted:

I’m thinking about getting a month of the TNA streaming service, does it have a complete run of all the old Impacts?

I don't think you actually got the answer: No, it does not, here's a nice breakdown that might be slightly out of date

code:
    All pay-per-view events (except most recent pay-per-view event)
    Select One Night Only events (All 2013–2015, 2017–present; 7 of 10 2016)
    All Impact Plus Monthly Specials
    All TNA weekly pay-per-views (aka the Asylum Years)
    All episodes of TNA British Boot Camp
    Select episodes of Impact! (All 2004-2007, 2017–present (except those which aired within 10 days); select 2008, 2015–2016)
    Select episodes of Impact! Xplosion (All 2018, select 2016–2017)
    Select episodes of TNA Legends
    Select episodes of TNA Unfinished Business
    Select episodes of TNA's Greatest Matches
    Select episodes of TNA Epics
    All episodes of Inside Impact
    All Twitch Specials
    Impact in 60
    Classic Compilations (TNA's home video releases)
    Hidden Gems

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

2007 is when they switched to 2 hours on Spike and 2017 is when they went to Destination America so I guess they negotiated some new deal when they got the 2 hour slot and don't have the rights to them. I'm guessing "select episodes" are like the "Global Impact" specials they did airing matches from Wrestle Kingdom shows or some similar specials that managed to evade the contract or something.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jun 7, 2020

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

They moved to Destination America in 2015.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My bad. I really stopped paying regular attention when AJ and all the others left so all the confusing rebranding, selling, and channel changes are all a blur to me. I think I forgot Pop TV was in the mix. So:

All 2004-2007: The 1 hour show on FS1 and Spike?
select 2008: I don't know
2015–2016: Destination America/Pop TV?
2017–present (except those which aired within 10 days); Pop TV/Pursuit? I guess this would be after they dropped "TNA", were briefly "GFW" and then just "Impact"?

That leaves 2008 - 2014 which I think is the era for the 2 hour Spike episodes?

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impact!_(TV_series)#Broadcast_history

They moved to Spike in 2005 but 2007 was when it went to 2 hours.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Right, so as best as I can figure the timeline is (Bold are on Impact+):

2004 to mid 2005: FS1
mid 2005: No TV, on Internet
mid 2005 to mid 2007: 1 hour on Spike

mid 2007 to 2014: 2 hours on Spike
2015 to Destination America
2016 to mid-2017: Pop TV
mid-2017 to 2018: Pop TV rebranded without "TNA"
most of 2019: Pursuit
late 2019 to present: AXS

So the 2 hour Spike deal seems like the thing missing, with the "select 2008 episodes" being the odd one.

edit: I checked and they actually have all of 2007 and the first few months of 2008. So I guess they just renegotiated something then instead of when they expanded to 2 hours? What's missing seems to be April 2008 to January 2015.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jun 7, 2020

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
What was the rationale behind Bret's untelevised title win 1992? I realize business was more heavily based around house shows back then, but as far as I know this was just a one-off match filmed for Coliseum Home Video, rather than the usual loops they would promote on the weekend TV.

Did they want to keep the Flair/Savage feud going but without the title involved? Was it just a shocking twist to drum up interest? Was home video business down and they felt this would give it a shot in the arm?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Red posted:

2. You know, watching Bob Backlund, his style looks incredibly realistic, but it's also a great style for a long career. He doesn't really take crazy bumps, so he very easily could've wrestled longer than he did, if he wanted to. Is there anyone else at his level who had a style that also lent itself to longevity?

Jake the Sanem is in bad shape but it's got nothing to do with the style he wrestled. His big spots were a short-arm clothesline and a flat-back bump. If he'd been... an entirely different person... he would probably still be able to go today.

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

STAC Goat posted:

So the 2 hour Spike deal seems like the thing missing, with the "select 2008 episodes" being the odd one.

edit: I checked and they actually have all of 2007 and the first few months of 2008. So I guess they just renegotiated something then instead of when they expanded to 2 hours? What's missing seems to be April 2008 to January 2015.

It took about 3 years for WWE to upload all of the old Raw and SD episodes on their network. Impact is probably just taking their time uploading their old stuff.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Minidust posted:

What was the rationale behind Bret's untelevised title win 1992? I realize business was more heavily based around house shows back then, but as far as I know this was just a one-off match filmed for Coliseum Home Video, rather than the usual loops they would promote on the weekend TV.

Did they want to keep the Flair/Savage feud going but without the title involved? Was it just a shocking twist to drum up interest? Was home video business down and they felt this would give it a shot in the arm?
The official backstage story from pretty much all parties is that the tentative plan for WM9 was Flair vs. Ultimate Warrior for the title, with Savage/Warrior vs. Flair/Razor Ramon at Survivor Series 1992 (November 25th) to dovetail into that.

Flair and Warrior were doing house show matches and apparently Flair got dropped badly by Warrior and was suffering from vertigo and wasn't sure if he'd be able to keep wrestling, so he wanted to drop the belt ASAP to someone, but (for obvious reasons) not Warrior. Everyone liked Bret and trusted him to make sure Flair had a safe match, and so they flew Bret in from Italy at the last second to win the belt in Saskatoon.

The thing that's vaguely confusing about this is the timeline:

WWE had a "European Rampage" Tour in late September/early October, and Hart and Flair would have matches during part of the tour. Maybe he took a vacation in Italy right after the tour, because Hart was off the cards from October 2nd (the last night of the RAMPAGE) and didn't come back until October 8th, when he wrestled Papa Shango in Iowa.

The Flair/Warrior match that allegedly gave him the inner ear injury was also on October 8th, in Phoenix.

October 9th: Hart wrestled Papa Shango again, this time in St. Louis. Ric Flair had the day off.
October 10th: Hart and Flair wrestled for the world title in Los Angeles in a main event match that ran 23 minutes.
October 11th: Hart and Flair have another world title match in Alberta.
October 12th: Hart and Flair have their third world title match in three days, this time Hart wins it.

The injured Flair would stay off the road for all of four days, losing to the Ultimate Warrior on October 16th, and again on October 25th. Warrior would continue to work in the company until November 8th and then either he got suspended, no-showed some matches in protest of the suspension, quit, or got fired. One way or the other he was out of the company and replaced by Mr. Perfect in the Survivor Series match.

I'm sure the broad strokes of the story are true (Vince had lost faith in Warrior, Flair didn't like working with Warrior but liked working with Bret, it was a last minute decision to make the switch) but regardless, from October 1992 to April 1993, Warrior was gone, Flair was gone, and the main event turned into "Yokozuna beats Bret Hart but then gets beaten by a returning Hulk Hogan".

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Benne posted:

Taiji Ishimori is a way better Bone Soldier than the first one (who was so bad NJPW basically fired him and retconned him out of canon)
They fired him for iirc a gambling addiction, which is a way more hosed up reason to fire someone

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Randaconda posted:

They didn't have a long term plan for the nWo. They kinda stumbled into the Sting thing by accident. Eric wasn't planned to join at the beginning, but him joining made sense and shored up some plot holes, back when wrestling kinda cared about them.

Can anybody elaborate on what these plot holes were? Was it revealed that Bischoff had been behind granting Hall and Nash access to the arenas?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Can anybody elaborate on what these plot holes were? Was it revealed that Bischoff had been behind granting Hall and Nash access to the arenas?

It was implied that was how the nWo kept getting matches and into the arenas, yeah

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Edge & Christian posted:

The official backstage story from pretty much all parties is that the tentative plan for WM9 was Flair vs. Ultimate Warrior for the title, with Savage/Warrior vs. Flair/Razor Ramon at Survivor Series 1992 (November 25th) to dovetail into that.

Flair and Warrior were doing house show matches and apparently Flair got dropped badly by Warrior and was suffering from vertigo and wasn't sure if he'd be able to keep wrestling, so he wanted to drop the belt ASAP to someone, but (for obvious reasons) not Warrior. Everyone liked Bret and trusted him to make sure Flair had a safe match, and so they flew Bret in from Italy at the last second to win the belt in Saskatoon.

The thing that's vaguely confusing about this is the timeline:

WWE had a "European Rampage" Tour in late September/early October, and Hart and Flair would have matches during part of the tour. Maybe he took a vacation in Italy right after the tour, because Hart was off the cards from October 2nd (the last night of the RAMPAGE) and didn't come back until October 8th, when he wrestled Papa Shango in Iowa.

The Flair/Warrior match that allegedly gave him the inner ear injury was also on October 8th, in Phoenix.

October 9th: Hart wrestled Papa Shango again, this time in St. Louis. Ric Flair had the day off.
October 10th: Hart and Flair wrestled for the world title in Los Angeles in a main event match that ran 23 minutes.
October 11th: Hart and Flair have another world title match in Alberta.
October 12th: Hart and Flair have their third world title match in three days, this time Hart wins it.

The injured Flair would stay off the road for all of four days, losing to the Ultimate Warrior on October 16th, and again on October 25th. Warrior would continue to work in the company until November 8th and then either he got suspended, no-showed some matches in protest of the suspension, quit, or got fired. One way or the other he was out of the company and replaced by Mr. Perfect in the Survivor Series match.

I'm sure the broad strokes of the story are true (Vince had lost faith in Warrior, Flair didn't like working with Warrior but liked working with Bret, it was a last minute decision to make the switch) but regardless, from October 1992 to April 1993, Warrior was gone, Flair was gone, and the main event turned into "Yokozuna beats Bret Hart but then gets beaten by a returning Hulk Hogan".

It's also a bit weird they didn't have Bret win in Alberta, but Vince is...weird about having wrestlers go over in hometowns and/or regions

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It's also a bit weird they didn't have Bret win in Alberta, but Vince is...weird about having wrestlers go over in hometowns and/or regions

I could kind of see it if Saskatoon was the last Canadian stop on the tour. Instead of having him win halfway through, have him win on the very last night.

Thanks for that write-up Edge & Christian! So many little things I never knew sprinkled in there.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I just like saying Saskatoon. And Kamloops.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
gently caress Etobicoke

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

jesus WEP posted:

They fired him for iirc a gambling addiction, which is a way more hosed up reason to fire someone
is that code for potential yakuza ties?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

oldpainless posted:

I thought it was a five count til a disqualification because the opponent is technically touching the ropes

The 5 count is more of a 'stop that!' thing, like choking your opponent or using the ropes to choke or to support a hold. The 5 count is also counted much more quickly, whereas the out of the ring count is slower to either allow more time to stall/brawl or build towards the countout.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Earl Hebner used to kick people if they didn't stop for his five-count because he's an rear end in a top hat.

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

Are there any wrestling shows ever been dubbed into other languages? And I don't mean just commentary but wrestlers voices being dubbed over.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

https://youtu.be/Puh4B63tm74

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

I meant an entire show being dubbed.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

fatherofmustard posted:

Are there any wrestling shows ever been dubbed into other languages? And I don't mean just commentary but wrestlers voices being dubbed over.

I remember NXT being dubbed into Portuguese at some point here in Brazil.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Way back in the old thread, somebody was bitching about the French dub of Raw back in the day, but I dunno if they still do it.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
The Saskatoon Show was a tv taping but Hart/Flair was a colosseum video exclusive.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

fatherofmustard posted:

I meant an entire show being dubbed.

There were videos ICP put out which were basically them doing commentary over I think FMW shows or other Japanese death match stuff (I want to say Bloodymania was the series title) and while it didn't have promos included they'd be making up the stories and the characters. Dunno if that counts but it's the closest thing I can think of.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Earl Hebner used to kick people if they didn't stop for his five-count because he's an rear end in a top hat.

I don't know if this is still taught in wrestling schools but I know at one point it was, if a wrestler isn't listening to your count instead of throwing the match or ignoring it and looking like an idiot, just kick the guy.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I’ll kick you

bartok
May 10, 2006

Has Shawn Michaels talked about his post-retirement match at the second KSA show? I never saw the match and stopped supporting WWE altogether because of the event but what I've seen of it on Botchamania and Twitter made it look like a real WMOTY contender.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

STAC Goat posted:

It's not a matter of anything that they aren't allowed to upload. It's just that they are uploading a few each month so as to have something new to upload.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

forkboy84 posted:

There were videos ICP put out which were basically them doing commentary over I think FMW shows or other Japanese death match stuff (I want to say Bloodymania was the series title) and while it didn't have promos included they'd be making up the stories and the characters. Dunno if that counts but it's the closest thing I can think of.

That was their Stranglemania series and it was a lot of W*NG/IWA Japan/FMW stuff, I think. ICP reacting to insane deathmatch spots is really funny but their humor overall was really homophobic and sexist, so I doubt those tapes have aged well.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

CombineThresher posted:

That was their Stranglemania series and it was a lot of W*NG/IWA Japan/FMW stuff, I think. ICP reacting to insane deathmatch spots is really funny but their humor overall was really homophobic and sexist, so I doubt those tapes have aged well.

Thank you! I was going insane trying to find the name of that series and managed to confuse it with the Bloodymania shows that they run at the Gathering.

And yes, I imagine they've aged horrendously but at least we'll always have the story of Terry Funk inviting ICP to the ranch and they hid a stack of cash before they left as "royalties" for those tapes. This was enough to make Terry down with the clown

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

forkboy84 posted:

Thank you! I was going insane trying to find the name of that series and managed to confuse it with the Bloodymania shows that they run at the Gathering.

And yes, I imagine they've aged horrendously but at least we'll always have the story of Terry Funk inviting ICP to the ranch and they hid a stack of cash before they left as "royalties" for those tapes. This was enough to make Terry down with the clown

Didn’t terry want his royalty check and figured it was gonna be a few hundred dollars. Then they gave him several thousand he was actually owed in person as an excuse to meet him.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

bartok posted:

Has Shawn Michaels talked about his post-retirement match at the second KSA show? I never saw the match and stopped supporting WWE altogether because of the event but what I've seen of it on Botchamania and Twitter made it look like a real WMOTY contender.

Shawn, HHH, Undertaker, and Kane are all on the Undertaker documentary series on the Network describing what a disaster it was. There's a funny bit of backstage footage where Shawn and HHH get to the back immediately after the match ended, and Shawn laughingly says "missed it by that much!".

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

The American Dream posted:

Didn’t terry want his royalty check and figured it was gonna be a few hundred dollars. Then they gave him several thousand he was actually owed in person as an excuse to meet him.

From Terry's autobiography:

quote:

Lawler approached me about doing the show earlier in 2004, when we both worked a show for the Insane Clown Posse. The Insane Clown Posse is a pair of rappers, Violent Jay and Shaggy 2 Dope, who paint their faces up like clowns. They're also completely insane and a couple of wrestling fans. They put out a videotape where they were commenting on old matches. One of the matches had me versus Abdullah the Butcher, and they kept knocking us and laughing at us. "Look at those two big goofs, acting like they're wrestling. Ha Ha Ha!" After I heard about that every time someone told me they were going to see the Insane Clown Posse, I said, "Tell them if I see them, I'm going to go ahead and kick their asses! Goofy bastards, knocking me on a tape and using it without my consent!" Of Course, I wouldn't have known the Insane Clown Posse from Adam and Eve, if I'd seen them on the street. I sure wasn't listening to their drat music!

Finally, I got a call at the ranch from Sabu: "Terry, I've got the Insane Clown Posse here. They want to come and see you, but they don't know if you're mad at them or not". "Well," I said, "bring the sons of ******* out here." They had just finished a show in Corpus Christi, and their next one was in Houston, so they took their bus all the way from Corpus Christi to Amarillo, and then back down to Houston after they met me! I told you they were nuts! And so the Insane Clown Posse came into the house, and Vicki had some chili cooked up. They Sat down and ate a bowl of chili apiece and talked to me. They said they were sorry if I was upset over what they said on the tape, and we buried the hatchet. Then, Violent Jay said, "Terry, we want to leave you some money for using the tape of you." I said, "No, no, don't do that!" "Yes, Terry, we're going to leave it under this jar, on this counter here!"

I kept telling them not to, but I walked into the next room before them. They followed me in, and told me they had to go. We said our goodbyes, and the Insane Clown Posse drove off in their bus. And I walked back into the other room, to get the money I knew they'd left. I have to tell you, I was excited. I was thinking, "Oh boy, I bet they left me twenty bucks, or maybe even forty," which would have just tickled mepink. I thought I'd have enough to pay for the chili, at least, and so I was really happy at the notion of having twenty bucks. I went in there, lifted up the jar....and there was four thousand dollarsthere!

And so let me tell you people something right now-I love the Insane Clown Posse! The next retirement match I have, they're going to be in the semifinal! They're the greatest band in the world, and I have all of their records. Haven't got around to listening to them yet, but I have them here somewhere. Later, I got a call that they wanted me to work at a show they were putting on, and I went. And I was amazed. Vince McMahon could learn a thing or two from the Insane Clown Posse, and I'm not lying. Those boys run a better show, and a smarter one, than even WWE does. It was a four-day event, held outdoors, about 40 miles from the middle
of nowhere. They drew a total of about 11,000 people, and they were charging 180 bucks a pop, just to get in. And it's two guys! That's all it is! The Insane Clown Posse is a two-man outfit! I think of a posse as 20 idiots running around with rifles. But this was just two guy. It reminded me, in a way, of the show my father did, where his match with "Iron" Mike DiBiase was the only one on the card. They paid the people who worked for them a set amount, and then they split the lion's share of the proceeds, because
they're the stars! Those two goofy bastards are two of the smartest people I've ever met!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

TL posted:

Shawn, HHH, Undertaker, and Kane are all on the Undertaker documentary series on the Network describing what a disaster it was. There's a funny bit of backstage footage where Shawn and HHH get to the back immediately after the match ended, and Shawn laughingly says "missed it by that much!".

I wonder how much Shawn got for that match?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Defiance Industries posted:

Jake the Sanem is in bad shape but it's got nothing to do with the style he wrestled. His big spots were a short-arm clothesline and a flat-back bump. If he'd been... an entirely different person... he would probably still be able to go today.

If I remember right, Honky Tonk Man long-term hosed up Jake's back with a hit from a legit guitar that was accidentally swapped out from a prop breakapart one. Obviously the addictions were his main problem, but freak accidents and random injuries can happen to anyone in wrestling no matter how safe your style is.