Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
what would have been interesting would have been a radeon SSG setup. maybe this is a derivative

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Malcolm XML posted:

just slap em on a riser card if you must have x16, or do what servers do with x4 u.2 drives and just chain em all up

i love u.2 in my servers so much lemme tell you :v:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

WhyteRyce posted:

You can't DMA to anything other than memory I thought like most other interfaces

Yeah, but doesn’t that bypass the CPU, like op was asking for?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

WhyteRyce posted:

You can't DMA to anything other than memory I thought like most other interfaces

the other important thing that you can DMA to is memory apertures, which is how PCIe peer-to-peer RDMA has always worked

everyone on the bus agrees that address 000XXX-0Y000 belongs to the GPU and when you write to that memory "address" then you're really talking to the GPU instead

in fact this is how all PCIe works, there is no protocol except RDMA really, you watch for when some flag bits get written and you know there's a message waiting for you

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

i don't know anything about this dude, but with the pants-making GBS threads on display here...wow...that must have been some come to jesus letter he got lmao

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

AARP LARPer posted:

i don't know anything about this dude, but with the pants-making GBS threads on display here...wow...that must have been some come to jesus letter he got lmao

Releasing a video slobbin on da PR knob like that months before the actual hardware gets into peoples hands to prove or refute the claims is worse than what he said initially imo

Linus remains dumb as hell but I still find his stuff entertaining, even if its just in the trainwreck/talkin about computers with your dumb buddy kinda way.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Paul MaudDib posted:

the other important thing that you can DMA to is memory apertures, which is how PCIe peer-to-peer RDMA has always worked

everyone on the bus agrees that address 000XXX-0Y000 belongs to the GPU and when you write to that memory "address" then you're really talking to the GPU instead

in fact this is how all PCIe works, there is no protocol except RDMA really, you watch for when some flag bits get written and you know there's a message waiting for you

It's been years since I was in that side but I thought, at the time at least, very few devices actually supported peer to peer transactions

And in the case of nvme you still have to have something create and harvest the sq/cq which I'm not aware if devices other than the CPU can do anyway

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jun 6, 2020

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

WhyteRyce posted:

It's been years since I was in that side but I thought, at the time at least, very few devices actually supported peer to peer transactions

Depends on the domain. In the mid-2000s RDMA was all the rage for cluster networking even, with fibrechannel storage doing RDMA over Quadrics or Infiniband to another node’s RAM without CPU involvement on either side once the transfer was queued. (We don’t talk about the security model.)

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, but doesn’t that bypass the CPU, like op was asking for?

The CPU is still very much involved in an NVMe read/write transfer even if the drive DMAs it into memory as far as my limited knowledge is aware

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

WhyteRyce posted:

The CPU is still very much involved in an NVMe read/write transfer even if the drive DMAs it into memory as far as my limited knowledge is aware

It’s involved in queueing the xfer op, sure, but does it have to do per-page work during the transfer or something?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

WhyteRyce posted:

And in the case of nvme you still have to have something create and harvest the sq/cq which I'm not aware if devices other than the CPU can do anyway

NVIDIA has supported it for a long time with GPU to GPU, GPU to storage, and GPU to Storage/GPU Across Infiniband. Those are the primary use-cases for GPUs.

http://developer.download.nvidia.com/devzone/devcenter/cuda/docs/GPUDirect_Technology_Overview.pdf

WhyteRyce posted:

WhyteRyce posted:

The GPU can very much initiate the request and receive the data without CPU intervention. That is the whole point of zero-copy stuff like Infiniband to reduce CPU utilization.

The thing that is not trivial is knowing where to look. AFAIK most implementations of this (including Radeon SSG) use the SSD as a block storage and not a UFS or NTFS filesystem. Maybe maybe something like FAT32 that's dirt loving simple to implement even on a stupid GPU core.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Paul MaudDib posted:

NVIDIA has supported it for a long time with GPU to GPU, GPU to storage, and GPU to Storage/GPU Across Infiniband. Those are the primary use-cases for GPUs.

http://developer.download.nvidia.com/devzone/devcenter/cuda/docs/GPUDirect_Technology_Overview.pdf

The GPU can very much initiate the request and receive the data without CPU intervention. That is the whole point of zero-copy stuff like Infiniband to reduce CPU utilization.

The thing that is not trivial is knowing where to look. AFAIK most implementations of this (including Radeon SSG) use the SSD as a block storage and not a UFS or NTFS filesystem. Maybe maybe something like FAT32 that's dirt loving simple to implement even on a stupid GPU core.

Oh interesting. queue manipulation is trivially easy so I guess I shouldn't be surprised they implemented it. Never dealt with a customer or a customer use case where this was called out

But the Radeon SSG uses it's own onboard ssd right? So we aren't necessarily talking about the same situation as most people are assuming when we talk about this?

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jun 6, 2020

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Um, ackshually, u.3 is the superior interface.

But all of these interfaces, they can be iterated on. Here's hoping NVMe 2 or some poo poo allows copies to bypass the CPU.
Das Boot is better. :smugbert:

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

karoshi posted:

Also power. A fly-poop of silicon hardwired to a decompression algorithm is probably 3+ orders of magnitude more power efficient than a big fat OOO x86 core with it's uncore posse.

Yeah I would think power would be the one of the more limiting factors that would decide against doing all the work with the x86 cores. Die space may be another.

I supposed if AMD wanted to they could put some sort of hardware decompression block on the chipset or perhaps hang it off the IO die and connect it to the CPU or memory via IF bus but there hasn't been a peep of something like that coming down the pipe so don't get your hopes up.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

WhyteRyce posted:

Oh interesting. queue manipulation is trivially easy so I guess I shouldn't be surprised they implemented it. Never dealt with a customer or a customer use case where this was called out

But the Radeon SSG uses it's own onboard ssd right? So we aren't necessarily talking about the same situation as most people are assuming when we talk about this?

The Radeon SSG didn't have any special fast path between the GPU and SSDs, it just had a PLX switch to multiplex the three independent devices onto one PCIe slot. It was functionally the same as an Nvidia card talking to a physically seperate SSD over RDMA.

It just seemed like a gimmick to me, and the fact they never followed up with an SSG2 based on Vega20 suggests the idea never really got any traction.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Seamonster posted:

Post your AIDA64 numbers?

Bit of a late followup, but finally have all 4 x 8GB sticks. Tightened the timings some more from 14-16-13-25-38 to 14-15-13-21-34 where it seems stable after running Karhu Ram Test for 45 minutes. AIDA64 seems in the ballpark looking at other 4 x 8GB numbers.

Learned an unamusing lesson: the board would simply not POST with 4 sticks though either of the 2 stick combos worked individually. Even tried at 2133MHz JEDEC settings, no dice with 4 sticks. Finally tried seating all 4 and resetting CMOS - it trained on the memory and no problems since. A side effect of non-QVL memory?

v1ld posted:

Is there any reason why putting an RX 5700 on a PCIe 4.0 slot would prevent me from overclocking its memory?

This was from Vsoc being set to 1.15V. The OC runs fine at 1.0V, which value lets GPU VRAM be OCed again. Buildzoid made a random comment that higher Vsoc values can cause problems with PCIe 4.0 devices and that turns out to be true.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

v1ld posted:

Learned an unamusing lesson: the board would simply not POST with 4 sticks though either of the 2 stick combos worked individually. Even tried at 2133MHz JEDEC settings, no dice with 4 sticks. Finally tried seating all 4 and resetting CMOS - it trained on the memory and no problems since. A side effect of non-QVL memory?

QVL doesn't matter usually, probably some setting that was wrong. If your sticks are dual rank, getting those to run at higher speeds can be pretty dicey if the wrong setting is set too high. To the memory controller, 4 dual rank sticks are like running 8 RAM sticks.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 6, 2020

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Has there been any rumors at all about Microsoft putting Ryzens into their Surface Pros?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Mostly just me begging.

There's some speculation that the way that Microsoft handled the latest Surface Laptop refresh was to prepare for actually going in hardcore on AMD next gen.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
I have a question, I have a 3700x on the way. Is the stock cooler going to be enough, as some people have told me, or should I spring for an aftermarket one? My roommate has a GameCube sized Noctua and I was considering it.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
It's fine, unless you are running into airflow constraints with a small form factor case it is more than adequate.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm running the stock cooler on my 3600X and it's doing just fine with temps.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's going to be louder than a NH-D15 (which is pretty much the best air cooler there is), but I'd first try stock at least.

I'm running my 3800x with a NH-U14S, which is the half-gamecube size version of the cooler your roommate has - very happy with it. If you're more on a budget but want a better cooler, a cheaper tower cooler would be the Hyper 212 EVO (they now all come with AM4 brackets, contrary what their website says).

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Cage Kicker posted:

I have a question, I have a 3700x on the way. Is the stock cooler going to be enough, as some people have told me, or should I spring for an aftermarket one? My roommate has a GameCube sized Noctua and I was considering it.

I'd get a decent $30-40 tower that has a bit more mass and moves air backwards towards the rear exit fan, instead of straight upwards diffusing it everywhere in the case.
You don't need a huge chonker for a stock 3700 though.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 23, 2021

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

sincx posted:

as long as you have a 120mm exhaust fan above the I/O shield, the stock cooler is more than sufficient if you aren't overclocking (and overclocking the ryzen 3000 series is sorta pointless)

Being pedantic here but OCing the core is near pointless, but loving around with memclocks and fabric clocks are another thing. I think that's going to be true for a long time unless Zen4 can somehow dynamical clock the memory and fabric clocks on its own.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 23, 2021

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Latest beta of HWiNFO shows if mb is misreporting power to improve benchmarks: https://www.hwinfo.com/forum/threads/explaining-the-amd-ryzen-power-reporting-deviation-metric-in-hwinfo.6456/

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Anyone else seeing what looks like a reduction in performance in Windows 10 build 2004 versus 1909?

I haven't thoroughly looked into it yet, but since running the update my CPU-Z benchmark is a little lower and I seem to be taking a small hit in fps in games.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Do you have Hyper-V enabled now whereas you didn't have it enabled before (enabling Memory Isolation in Defender activates Hyper-V as well, as does Sandbox, WSL2 or Application Guard)? That tends to reduce performance by a bit

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Fame Douglas posted:

Do you have Hyper-V enabled now whereas you didn't have it enabled before (enabling Memory Isolation in Defender activates Hyper-V as well, as does Sandbox, WSL2 or Application Guard)? That tends to reduce performance by a bit

I'll check when I boot back into Windows later tonight. Thanks!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Anandtech/Ian Cuttress came out with an article about this because the Tom's Hardware coverage was kinda sensationalist/alarmist: https://www.anandtech.com/show/15839/electromigration-amd-ryzen-current-boosting-wont-kill-your-cpu

As far as I understand it, whereas Intel has the PL1/PL2/Tau settings, and then motherboard manufacturers increase those settings above Intel's recommendations to make CPUs boost for longer, what motherboard manufacturers do with AMD is to... I don't have a better word for it besides misrepresent - they misrepresent the Package Power Tracking metric to be lower than it really is, so that the AMD CPU will boost for higher/longer (assuming the other two limits that define boosting, thermals and current, haven't yet been hit).

On the one hand, this does mean that people might have their CPUs running hotter than they might expect, if they were looking at their thermals relative to the reported wattage, and it doesn't seem like a good idea for your motherboard metrics to be not giving you "real" numbers.

On the other hand, Techpowerup was suggesting that this sort of behavior was going to lead to CPUs dying out or having their lifetimes severely reduced, which is a pretty big exagerration. If I'm not mistaken, even if somehow your cooling solution was only just barely good enough for your CPU, this still wouldn't be a problem because the CPU would just downclock/not-boost to stay within thermal limits, and the increased current would never be enough to endanger the CPU by itself.

Still, it's good that the HWinfo has managed to find a way to report the number accurately.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jun 10, 2020

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Motherboard manufacturers have been quietly increasing their default voltages for Intel CPUs above what Intel recommends for a long time, this is type of behaviour is (unfortunately) a very old hat.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fame Douglas posted:

Motherboard manufacturers have been quietly increasing their default voltages for Intel CPUs above what Intel recommends for a long time, this is type of behaviour is (unfortunately) a very old hat.

Right - I think the difference in this case is that since AMD doesn't have the kind of out-of-the-box configurable settings that Intel does, and instead relies on taking certain measurements to check whether a CPU is allowed to boost, the manufacturers then get around it by spoofing (one of) the measurements entirely.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

On the one hand, this does mean that people might have their CPUs running hotter than they might expect, if they were looking at their thermals relative to the reported wattage, and it doesn't seem like a good idea for your motherboard metrics to be not giving you "real" numbers.

Yeah, it seems like modern CPUs/GPUs have a lot of protections built in when it comes to preventing damage to themselves from overly aggressive boosts. My thought was your latter point - there's a lot of code in these things to optimize behavior across load / power / thermals and misrepresenting power seems like a bad idea when the general consensus is that AMD is not leaving much on the table to further optimize to begin with.

Hopefully the availability of these numbers in HWiNFO will drive more accurate power reporting in the future.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Fame Douglas posted:

The default voltage on my Asus z170 board was something so absurd that I was able to run an offset in the -.3 range even with a pretty hefty overclock.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

It's great just how much logic is present in cpus/gpus/boards to optimize behavior for current conditions. Obviously that code isn't perfect and it's an extremely gnarly optimization problem with a huge number of variables, but I still feel better about those decisions being made at the point where more complete information is available that by just pushing up one parameter ignoring all else.

One feature of the Buildzoid OC for the PVS memory I followed is that he only specifies a very few voltages (Vdimm, Vsoc, Vvddg ccd/iod) and most of the timings. He leaves all other parameters to auto, including every parameter who unit is Ohms, with the comment that the existing code does a good job of optimizing these already. I like that - it's locking down some parameters to narrow the search space for an optimal solution and then letting the code get on with the solution. No doubt someone can come up with a better manual solution, but as long as auto is at most a few points off...

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

An update on my experience with Windows 10 build 2004:

I was lazy and did nothing and my last benchmarks were better. I suspect it may have been indexing after the update and that was dragging the performance down.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Jim Keller has left Intel:

https://wccftech.com/exclusive-intel-internal-memo-jim-keller-departure-new-structure/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

did he complete an architecture design/revamp?

"effective immediately" :thunk: